a.k.a. Ebichu Minds the House; Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster
Ebichu is the talking pet hamster of a woman identified only as "Owner", "O.L.", or "Office Lady", a 25 year old, technically single woman facing Christmas Cake status. O.L.'s life consists of trying to get by, negotiating the hazards of dating her philandering boyfriend "Kaishounachi" — a nickname literally meaning "useless" — and beating Ebichu like an ugly redheaded stepchild on Sunday for minor infractions and major insults. Ebichu's life consists of thankless housework, cheese, an astonishing lack of anything remotely resembling tact, an unfortunate tendency to interrupt O.L. and Kaishounachi in flagrante delicto, and getting beaten violently. Around this core swims a sea of perverts, private moments made public, illicit liasons, promiscuity, and the odd side character who finds Ebichu sexually attractive.
Kid's fare, this is not.
The show was originally part of an anthology series (Ai no Awa-awa Hour) and each episode is approximately eight minutes apiece. While the other two components were reputedly much tamer (and forgotten by the fanbase) the good people at Studio Gainax apparently took advantage of the late-night time slot to push the envelope as to what Japanese censors would allow. The result was a frequently hilarious, incredibly irreverent show whose short format perfectly suited the rapid-fire verbal and visual zingers.
According to one source, the origin of the anime stems from the production of Neon Genesis Evangelion; Kotono Mitsuishi would read the manga between takes to lighten the mood, often showing others why she was laughing. The decision was eventually made to animate it for Ai no Awa-awa, and the lead role was promptly offered to Mitsuishi.
For those not easily offended, it is an enjoyable series which would not require a huge investment of time to see. The whole shebang is on youtube if you dare. (Warning: Extremely NSFW.)
Absolutely no relation to Hamtaro!
Oruchuban Ebichu provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adapted Out: Dobuyosi-kun and Tanukio, characters in the manga, are not present in the anime.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: O.L. and Kaishounachi.
- Balloon Belly: Ebichu gets one after drinking many syrup containers.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Kaishounachi is incredibly neglectful and indifferent to his girlfriend, and seems to only be interested in her for sex. He does arrive in a flash when he thinks she's in trouble, which suggests he does genuinely care about her to some degree.
- Beach Episode: "To The Beach".
- Bedtime Brainwashing: (3:15 to 4:15. NSFW) Ebichu does both Pleasant and Troubling. She does Pleasant to her beloved master (normally a depressed and desperate Christmas Cake) who ends up waking up the next morning feeling completely refreshed and in good spirit. Soon after, she tries to do Troubling to said master's undesirable boyfriend by pretending to be the boyfriend's boss at work and calling him useless and all that. This attempt is subverted by the fact that the target was actually awake the entire time and hilariously beats Ebichu bloody.
- Big Eater: For something her size, Ebichu is a surprisingly big eater.
- Black Comedy: Dead, and thrown in a blender.
- Blank White Eyes: Occasionally happens whenever something horrifies Ebichu.
- Brand X: Several renamed popular products. (Zabu detergent = "Zabubu". Donna Karan New York (DKNY) = "DINKY". Yebisu beer = "Yebichu", a joke carried over from Evangelion.)
- Bring My Brown Pants: Ebichu pees herself at the end of Episode 5 when the delivery man returns and he finds out that she devoured somebody else's order of Camembert cheese.
- Brutal Honesty: Ebichu.
- Butt-Monkey: Ebichu, especially when Office Lady and her boyfriend beat her up. Poor Ebichu can't catch a break.
- Catapult Nightmare: Parodied in an episode that features Maakun having several Catapult Wet Dreams. About Ebichu.
- The Chew Toy: Ebichu suffers from a lot of abuse from her owner Office Lady and her boyfriend.
- Christmas Cake: O.L.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Ebichu; the cute part is open to question.
- Does This Remind You of Anything? and Lampshaded Double Entendre in equally hefty portions.
- The Dog Bites Back: Ebichu gets (drunken) physical revenge on O.L. and Kaishounachi in Episode 14.
- Dream Within a Dream: Maa-kun dreaming about Ebichu.
- Easily Forgiven: All it takes is a few kind words from Kaishonachi, and Office Lady will immediately forget his neglectful nature. It also helps that Ebichu frequently does something even more infuriating — instead of O.L. being mad at Kaishonachi, they both wind up being so angry with Ebichu that they forget they were just arguing.
- Fanservice: Subverted. O.L. is shown naked or in revealing clothing frequently, but the art style isn't exactly titillating. The fact that Ebichu frequently delivers some Squick alongside this only further removes the possibility.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: Not that the show in general is family friendly, but you don't expect a tiny rodent to have so much blood...
- From Bad to Worse: "The Camembert Cheese Incident".
- From the Mouths of Babes: Nearly all of Ebichu's lines, and the main reason she gets beaten up so much.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Inverted. O.L. and Kaishounachi are both jerks but their sex life is suggested to be the only healthy thing about their relationship.
- Gratuitous English: The opening sequence of "Ebichuman".
- Hentai: Generally averted. Characters do have sex onscreen, but the prevailing art style is so primitive as to obviate any prurient interest. The sex is secondary to the jokes about sex.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: O.L. once drugged Kaishonachi's drink to make him stay. Unfortunately, she drank out of the same glass and wound up passing out next to him.Ebichu: Morons.
- Interspecies Romance: Maa-kun and Ebichu.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Despite Ebichu getting abused a lot, she, surprisingly survives from them.
- Jerkass: Office Lady and Kaishonachi. The former is usually only mean because of Ebichu's antics, but the latter has no excuse.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Ebichu, Office Lady, and Kaishonachi are routinely stuck down by this.
- Male Frontal Nudity: A few episodes have the rare occasion in Japanese media of adult male penises being shown uncensored, perhaps getting away with it because of how cartoony the art style is.
- Nosebleed: Maa-kun is extremely susceptible to this.
- No-Sell: When O.L. punches Ebichu while the latter is in heat, the hamster barely even flinches that time.
- No Social Skills: Ebichu.
- Office Lady: She's even named as such!
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The protagonist is simply known as O.L. (Office Lady) or Goshujin-chama; her sexual partner as Kaishonachi (useless bum).
- Pun: The "manko" (pussy) puns will surely get on your nerves by episode 15 or so.Ebichu: (in Engrish) LADIEZU AND GENTLEMANKO!
- Punched Across the Room: Happens to Ebichu at least Once an Episode.
- Raging Stiffie: Maa-kun, courtesy of him thinking about Ebichu.
- Refuge in Audacity: The show's sexual escapades are done in deliberately crude style to keep them humorous and unappealing.
- Running Gag: Many of them, run straight into the ground, through it, and out the other side.
- Satchel Switcheroo: In "Ebichuman 3", Ebichu mixes up two packages she is supposed to deliver.
- Sick Episode:
- "Ebichu Gets Sick".
- "Master Catches a Cold".
- Smoking Hot Sex: Sometimes, after Ebichu's owner and her boyfriend finished making love.
- Somewhere, a Mammalogist Is Crying: Rodents can't vomit. Then again, they also can't talk.
- Stalker with a Crush: Maa-kun's crush on Ebichu eventually crosses over into this territory; in his last appearance, we find him surreptitiously taking photos of Ebichu through the window of the apartment.
- Superhero Episode: Ebichuman.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: This is exactly why Ebichu is a Bad Liar."I don't know anything! I didn't do anything to you in the middle of the night!"
"I didn't break your pearl necklace."
"While you were out, I didn't touch your Camembert, and I definitely didn't eat all of it because it was delicious!"
- Talking Animal: Ebichu, duh.
- The Tooth Hurts:
- Ebichu gets a cavity from drinking too much syrup in Episode 10. Kaishonachi tries to fix it himself, which earns him a punch from Maa-kun.
- The entirety of "Cavities and Hearts Both Throb" focuses on O.L.'s toothache.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ebichu loves camembert cheese and ice cream, and to a lesser extent, syrup.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: A talking hamster who does chores? Nothing weird about that, no siree!
- Verbal Tic:
- Ebichu tends to replace "s" and "sh" with "ch" toward the end of her sentences, leading to words like arimachen, kudachai, and most commonly dechu.
- Combined with Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode's name, except for the appearances of Ebichuman, ends with "dechu".
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot:
- O.L. and a drunken Kaishonachi throw up in Episode 12.
- Ebichu throws up after drinking too much alcohol in Episode 14.
- Your Cheating Heart: Although he has a girlfriend, Maa-kun lusts over Ebichu.