"My shoe is quacking..."This troper is a geeky eccentric, cake-eating dragon lord, and Lovecraft protagonist candidate. They like tea time, warm fires, and long walks through the graveyard (preferably at night). This troper has been on here under many names due to circumstances and a memory like a... really bad memory, now hopes to be known here permanently by the name displayed. When Tv Tropes Isn't Ruining Their Life, they are a published poet and in the process of writing a fantasy novel (which, when published, will have its own page on here), is an amateur but ardent dracologist and dracophile, a voice actor, and flails about a bit on the theatre floorboards.
This troper provides examples of:
- Absent-Minded Professor: Not an actual professor, but still an academic (amateur and otherwise) who's head is always in some project or study rather than the real world; forgets where everything is except their projects and books; frequently starts a conversation in the middle (after having gone through the first half in their head) without realising it, and trails off into silence without realising they've...
- Adorkable: In Feanor and the Doc's considered opinions. This troper disagrees; not adorkable, dang it! They are ethereal and vaguely threatening. Yes. Absolutely.
- Animal Motifs: Loves crows and is heavily associated with them among their friends.
- An Odd Place to Sleep: Doesn't sleep well in beds, prefers the floor. When they can fall asleep they can fall asleep anywhere and in any position.
- Bad Dreams / Flashback Nightmare: Comes courtesy of a Dark and Troubled Past.
- Bad News in a Good Way: Has a tendency to deliver bad news in a peppy announcer voice.
- Berserk Button:
- Threatening, insulting, or otherwise hurting their friends.
- Dehumanization and "Othering."
- Confusing (occidental) dragons with other dragonoids (especially wyverns). Research takes all of two seconds. Occidental dragon = four legs and a minimum of two wings. Wyvern = two legs and two wings. It's not that difficult.
- Beware the Nice Ones / Beware the Silly Ones: Very laid back and/or silly, it comes to most people's surprise that they have a Berserk Button and how quickly and ferociously they arise when one is pressed.
- Bifauxnen: Dresses in suits and prefers to look androgynous.
- Bits of Me Keep Passing Out: Their appendages lose circulation extremely easily. Hilarity Ensues.
- Bookwyrm: Loves books. Hoards them.
- Bowties Are Cool
- Broken Ace: Thanks to being The Perfectionist. Nothing to do with their sexual orientation.
- Buffy Speak: Especially when they are dealing with reality while the head is stuck somewhere else. Often borders or digs right into word salad speech.
A Four Wigged Dragon [coming into the kitchen]: "Where's the hard thingy that one puts the black sippy stuff in? Not just one, but my favourite one?"
- Catch Phrase:
- Did you know [proceeds to list off a fact they are positive the other person didn't know]
- Well [proceeds to tell personal anecdote]
- Chaotic Good
G: "You would make a very good leader."A Four Wigged Dragon: "That's not a compliment. That's like telling me I would make a very good Dalek."
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Nigh constantly.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Never quite sure if this is a good thing. Along with living in Cloud Cuckooland, is probably responsible for Harmless Villain status.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Possibly their defining trait. Frequently has arguments with themself, their characters, other fictional characters, and inanimate objects out loud (often completely nonsensically); always has an Ear Worm in their head and is likely to break out in song and/or dance at any moment; finds the most commonplace items fascinating for long periods of time and gets unreasonably excited about mundane appliances like motion-detector lights; and constantly does Brief Accent Imitations and impressions.
B: "I'm just saying, you have abnormalities inside your abnormalities."
- Crazy Sane
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass:
Z: "[They've] got two modes: silly and gangster serial killer, and I'd hate to meet [them] in a dark alley when [they've] got that face on."
- Dark is Not Evil: Wears black, likes the dark, is benevolent.
- Derailed Train of Thought: Constantly; there might as well not even be tracks; often Deteriorates Into Gibberish.
- Ditzy Genius: Among friends and family is generally the go-to person for information on any area of knowledge, however they are pretty much useless in matters of practicality.
- The Dividual: More specifically, one half of a Syndividual with a Badass Adorable Genki Girl.
B: "You're basically the same person, just with a different personality. Like the Trinity."
- Doing It for the Art: Has been known to do some really stupid and risky things in the name of art and authenticity.
R.E.: "You do realise we're just making a dumb little four minute movie that probably nobody else but us will see, right? You don't have to kill yourself doing it."A Four Wigged Dragon: "But would it help?"
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Is pale-skinned and is a brunette.
- Evil Eyebrows: Human form came equipped with a pair of villainously arching eyebrows.
- Eye Motifs: Features them in what they wear and in their decorating.
- Failed a Spot Check: Voted "Most likely to walk into a tree while admiring it" with good reason.
- Forgets to Eat: Unless reminded by family or well-meaning friends.
- The Gadfly: To their closest friends.
- Guilt Complex: Compliments of Chronic Hero Syndrome without god-like powers.
- Harmless Villain: Thought about taking over the world. Likes the idea. Wouldn't know what to do with the world once they had it — probably give it back, as they hate the idea of ruling anything. So, erm, yeah, not going to go to far in the overlord-y villain game without wanting to rule the world or, at least, something. Sticks to Poking The Poodle (making it so the general public can't use writing utensils, or that you can only send texts on 'phones that don't have a qwerty keypad, etc.)
- Hopeless with Tech: Type 2 unless it involves word processors, video games, or an integrated library system.
- Hot Librarian: According to Feanor, anyway.
- The Hyena: Their second most frequent occupation is laughing.
- I Have Many Names: Arch, Ira, Professor, Murdock, Lady K, Twister, and Cheshire, among others.
- Improbable Weapon User: Can and will weaponise onions and curries, and their Weapon of Choice in a duel is their nose.
- Incessant Music Madness: Is often the cause of this in others.
- Ineffectual Loner
"I just want to be left alone, but I can't fight this on my own."
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: At the risk of sounding prideful, believes this ardently.
- Instant Waking Skills: Almost always. When they don't, it may be a case of Wake-Up Fighting.
- It Amused Me: Frequent motivation for many of their antics.
- Knife Nut: Loves and collects knives.
- Kukris Are Kool: Has a special penchant for kukris.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Started out as a Wide-Eyed Idealist who literally wanted to be a Knight in Shining Armor, then went through Character Development.
- Lady of Adventure: According to the Doc, is something between a secret agent, Agent K, and a queen. Despite identifying as agender, this troper must agree that they fit the trope quite well (and is also very flattered by the comparison).
- Large Ham: VERY LARGE, MY DEAR TROPER!
- Literalist Snarking: Often.
C: "What's up?"A Four Wigged Dragon [tilts head back and stares above]: "Generally or specifically? And would you like a list?"
- Love Martyr: Platonically. This has not, historically, worked out well.
- Magic Librarian: Is an eldritch crow humanoid, ambiguously a benevolent undead thing, and a librarian.
- Malaproper: Has given considerable humour and gotten them into trouble not a few times. Once accidentally said Star Wars when they meant Star Trek; nearly didn't survive.
- Martyr Without a Cause: A trait which has sometimes caused concern or anger in their friends.
- Meganekko : Looks good in glasses and fits most of the tropes associated with it. According to Feanor, this is a large part of their appeal.
- Memetic Mutation: Often (but not always) due to the Malaproper trope and Cloud Cuckoolander status. Some of which include:
- "Come here and SMELL me!"
- "I have seen... the PICKLES OF REQUIREMENT!"
- Messy Hair: Doesn't really have a choice. The hair does what it wants.
- Mr. Imagination: Comes with being a writer.
- Nice Hat: Has a couple of trilbies, a fedora, an umbrella hat, an inflatable crown, and a fez.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Is inclined to get unreasonably excited about graveyards, dead things, ruins, slime, skeletons and monsters. On the other hand, gets creeped out by pastel colours in large quantities.
- Not Afraid to Die: They've lived so close to it, they don't see anything to fear anymore.
- Perception Filter: Has a glitchy one. Even people who know them well have been known to walk right past them several times while looking for them without noticing them — naturally, they is quite happy to watch this circumstance without giving away their position until someone who the perception filter is not working on has the kindness to point out where they is.
C: "Where the hell were you?"A Four Wigged Dragon: "You walked by me five times."
- Platonic Life Partners: With a Badass Adorable Genki Girl and a Hot Scientist.
- Prehensile Hair: Their hair has been known to eat small animals, attack unwary hairstylists, and even strangle its host when it is displeased with them — and that's just during the day. It is believed that the hair is some sort of Eldritch Abomination/vampiric alien symbiote that hunts at night and may be planning to take over the world. THERE IS NO MAY. I AM THE DESPOT WHO WILL RULE ALL. BOW BEFORE ME, READER. THERE IS NO ESCAPE. MY PRIVILEGED MINION UPON WHOSE HEAD I HAVE GIVEN THE HONOUR OF MY RESIDENCE HAS TRIED TO REBEL AGAINST ME BEFORE; THEY AND THEIR FRIENDS FAILED MISERABLY. IN MY GREAT MERCY, I LEFT THEM SCARRED ''ONLY'' IN MIND AND BODY. SWEAR ALLEGIANCE, AND WHEN MY DAY HAS COME, YOU, READER, SHALL BE SPARED MY GREAT WRATH.
- Hammerspace Hair: Based on what can be hidden in the hair, it is believed that The Despot Who etc. is actually quite a bit larger even than it looks.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Slight understatement.
- Quoting Myself: Not uncommon when they say something actually serious.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: Is it any wonder Tv Tropes attracted them?
- Royal "We": Comes with the office of librarian.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Has a bad habit of especially doing explosion noises.
- Sad Clown: The more stressed, depressed, or sad they are, the more they acts silly and makes Incredibly Lame Puns and jokes. At the far end of this they become a manic Talkative Loon.
- Self-Deprecation: But not very good at it.
- Seriously Scruffy: When they've gotten obsessed with a project or are under pressure from school.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Is asexual, but has one person they are willing and eager to have sex with.
- Sinister Schnoz: Has a very long aquili-Roman nose.
- The Snark Knight: Can't help but quip on the idiocy that surrounds them, but just as equally quips about the idiocy of self falling into same or similar idiocy.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Has a tendency to oscillate between Spock Speak and, y'know, other ways of speaking for the shits and giggles.
- Stoic Spectacles: Has them.
- Unexplained Accent: Which will now be explained. This troper's natural accent is the ''Other'' Mid-Atlantic Accent, formed due to a young child with a penchant for imitation pretty much only having access to BBC book adaptations. None of the rest of their family has it.
- Unusual Euphemism: Tends to use these so as to be able to most effectively utilise the Precision F-Strike when wanted.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Is this indeed.
- Weaponized Offspring: How The Despot Who etc. intends to Take Over the World.
Genre Savvy friend: "When I have my own house, you are not coming into it until you get rid of that thing. I don't trust it. It'll try to take over my house like it's taking over this one. ...I'll know how to make home-made grenades by then."
- Waistcoat of Style: Likes them, and tries to wear them when possible.
- Whovian: With great pride.
The Heretic HouseThe place A Four Wigged Dragon shares with two others.
- Ambiguously Evil: The Rev has quizzed the Doc and Lady K a few times, trying to figure out if they might be psychopaths. He has no decisive diagnosis yet.
- Bookworm: All of them.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The Doc and the Rev.
- Defector from Decadence: The Doc and Lady K.
- Forgets to Eat: The Rev and Lady K; the High Doctor has to make sure they eat.
- Insult of Endearment: The Doc and the Rev do this constantly.
- Long Distance Relationship: A Four Wigged Dragon is with Feanor.
- Official Couple: The Doc and the Rev.
- Quirky Household: And how!
- Smart People Play Chess: The Doc and the Rev.
Madam High Doctor
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nice but don't let that fool you into thinking she's soft.
- Bi the Way: Is Bi.
- Brainy Brunette: Very smart and has brown hair.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder / Team Mom: By far the most practical of the three and makes sure that the other two attend to such practical matters as eating.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Hates them and takes them off the first chance possible.
- Hobbits: Has many traits of Hobbits and happily takes the title, although she does have some Height Angst.
- Hot Teacher / Hot Scientist: Is a biology major and a substitute biology teacher, and is beautiful.
- The Professor: Is trying to create gateways to parallel worlds.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Is Hobbit-sized and very smart.
- Super-Speed Reading: Has inhumanly fast reading skills.
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Friend to All Children: Loves kids and kids love him.
- The Gadfly: To everyone.
- Game of Nerds: Is an ardent baseball fan.
- Ironic Nickname: Is an atheist.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can be a jerk (mostly due to Gadfly status) but can also be one of the most caring people you'd come across.
- Lean and Mean: What it says on the tin.
- Not a Morning Person: Decidedly not; his idea of getting up early is before noon.
- The Rival: To Lady K in Lord of the Rings trivia.
- Sinister Minister: His title.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
Honorary Members of the Heretic House:
The Adorable One
- Badass Adorable: Is cute, but can whip butt in a number of sports.
- Asexuality: Is a androflexible romantic asexual.
- Big Eater: Can easily out-eat people twice her size.
- Born Lucky: In regards to games of chance.
- Buffy Speak: All the time.
- Catchphrase: "You meanie!"
- The Charmer: Can charm her way into getting almost anything. Fortunately she mostly uses this power for good.
- Cloudcuckoo Landers Minder: Has been to Lady K since they were kids.
- Creepy Cute: Her aesthetic.
- The Empath: Scarily tuned in to how people are feeling.
- Genki Girl: Very energetic.
- Height Angst: Sometimes a Berserk Button.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Is constantly changing the color of her hair.
- Little Miss Badass: Short. Cute. Badass.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Her position of Sorry champion.
- Occidental Otaku: Loves manga and anime.
- Starving Artist: Not as starving as some would expect though.
- Stepford Smiler: Smiles to cover up how she really feels.
- Unluckily Lucky: Good in games of chance, unlucky in life.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has various shades of the rainbow for hair.
- Adorkable: Extremely.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Indeed.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Really likes the ladies but is never less than respectful to them.
- Let's Wait a While: Wants to wait until marriage to do the do.
- Official Couple: With A Four Wigged Dragon.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: What is says on the tin.
The Zombie Queen
- The Ace: In regards to art. She can pretty much pick up an type of art supply and master it in no time flat.
- Big Eater: Can tuck away a lot.
- Cat Smile: Can sport a very cute version of this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Much snark.
- Gamer Chick: And dang good at it.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Hides her caring nature.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Has them.
- Nightmare Fetishist: As if her name would give her away.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Very cold and snarky to people she doesn't know; very warm to those she does.