Video Games Awesome is arguably unique in the nature of having a fanbase with distinct characters within their viewers as well as the hosts themselves, though the gang's interactions with the various fans of the show through the chat, or during the Minecraft or Team Fortress 2 shows
Please note: The Chat section of this page should only contain people who have made contributions to the show that go beyond the normal call of duty, exceptional build challenges and such would be a good place to start, although this is highly subjective.
FraserThe creative mind behind Awesome Video Games, Fraser Agar is the primary host of Video Games Awesome, which is hosted within his own home, and thus is responsible for all the production aspects of the show. He is prone to trolling not only his fellow co-hosts but also his own viewers for various reasons.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Except during Lonesome shows
- Berserk Button:
He could have seen that! Look at the photo! That's how the game said it happened!
- Glitches. While most gamers dislike them, Fraser holds an extreme hatred for even minor, non-game breaking glitches, seeing them as symbols of laziness and rushed development.
- Poor writing and (perceived) Plot Holes also aggravate him to no end. He always tears them apart, especially in the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games, which are infamous for them.
- On a more serious note, in the Trials and Tribulations playthrough, he immediately calls Terry Fawles a guilty sicko when he finds out that he "dated" Dahlia Hawthorne when he was 20 and she was 14. He later talks at length about how much the idea of adult men picking up underage girls disgusts him, despite jokes made on the show in the past.
- Also regarding Ace Attorney, do not show any sort of sympathy towards Acro. As far as Fraser's concerned, he got exactly what he deserved for trying to murder a teenage girl, regardless of the circumstances.
- Making fun of Canadian Bacon will get you a 10-minute rant if you're lucky. Several people (and You Don't Know Jack) have learned this the hard way.
- He will cut you down for calling him a sociopath because of the way he chooses to play certain video games. If he doesn't ban you from the chat outright, he'll get the mods to do it.
- Call-Back: He lampshades how he makes one in part 11 of the Tomb Raider (2013) play through.It's a throwback to Ben's earlier joke.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As his rare moments of MLG demonstrate.
- Its also notable when you compare Lonesome show gameplay to normal show's gameplay
- Determinator: Fraser rarely gives up on a challenge once he starts it, as evidenced by the 40 minutes he spent trying to get a single trinket in VVVVVV. It usually either manages to be awesome or trigger a Frage Quit.
- Once the chat told Fraser he couldn't beat a Lynel in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, he was fully prepared to prove them wrong; the only thing that made him move on is that he had a show to run and couldn't let himself get caught up.
- Genre Savvy: Very good at predicting plot twists. He justifies this based on how he and the others find picking apart Fridge Logic and the like to be fun.
- Girls Have Cooties: Despite having lived with his girlfriend for years, any display of affection from Becky on the show will ultimately result in this reaction from Fraser.
- The Hero: More or less.
- Hidden Depths: It's easy to forget that Fraser is actually very knowledgeable on the subject of audio and video, in addition; he cites himself on knowing a lot of random trivial facts.
- Jack of All Stats: Fraser claims that he provides the best balance between Ben's quiet skills and Becky's hilarious but inept gaming.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Most of the jerk behavior towards his cohosts and the Chat is an act for the show- he's really a very nice guy.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Fraser owns two cats, Hugo and Ruddager, and his heart melts whenever something that remotely looks like a "kitty" appears in a game.
- During a live-stream, Fraser found a homeless kitten crying in the alley behind the studio. He immediately brought her inside and fed her, and decided to end the stream early to take care of her, declaring his intention to adopt her if an owner could not be found. The kitten (dubbed "Lisa Needs Braces", Lisa for short) now officially belongs to Fraser and Becky.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Kinda; he often comes off as not knowing what he's talking about even when not trolling or hamming it up, but when one considers just how much he has on his plate at any given time and that he's playing most of his games for the first time, he really knows about as much as the average chat member. This doesn't prevent him from sometimes acting like he does know everything, but then it's mostly due to Rule of Funny.
- Large Ham: On the show, most notably when in his Santa persona. In Real Life, he's actually quite reserved.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Fraser narrates games without voice acting; if needed, he'll switch to a drastically different voice for the same character, sometimes even mid-sentence.
- His Phoenix Wright playthroughs feature an impressive variety of voices. He knows how to do a variety of stock anime voice types.
- Never Bareheaded: Almost always wears his purple cap unless he's costumed as a bald character. For some costumes that don't include any kind of hat, he wears an identical cap in a matching color.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He may seem like a bumbling fool, but he's actually very knowledgeable about video games and a wide variety of other topics, and will from time to time surprise everyone with some profound knowledge of the subject at hand. His interview in Transmission Awesome is a good example of this.
- There is also that he is actually much better at playing games than what you might think from the show. You can see that in Lonesome shows where he is playing more seriously.
- Sore Loser
- Trolling Creator: And how.
Fraser's girlfriend, Becky is a foil to Fraser's more hammy and trolling nature during the shows, and often asks as a liaison between Fraser and the chat during live shows. She made her debut during the Earthbound live stream, although was not a regular mainstay until Ben's temporary departure from the show.
- A Day in the Limelight: Becky was in control for most of the Sonic Mania episode, seeing as how she has more experience with classic Sonic games than Fraser.
- All-Loving Hero,: Very tolerant and amazingly kind to people of all walks of life.
- Badass Normal: Becky in the Silver ranking in Overwatch; but has shown off some skill and quick learning on the show. Fraser believes Becky just needs more time playing the gam.
- Berserk Button: Does not like stage magicians, as she does not understand how their tricks work. She also has an intense dislike for techobabble.
- The Chick: Fantastic at arts and crafts (as demonstrated by the VGA costumes she churns out at a regular basis), likes baking, and is certainly the most caring member of the group for both the chat and her cohosts.
- Deadpan Snarker: More and more as time passes she delivers silly lines while still being her normal perky self.
- The Ditz: Sometimes comes off as quite naive and easily intrigued, and often seems to not understand what's going on in any game.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Girlish Pigtails: One of her more common hairstyles.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Games: Becky's reactions to scares in horror games are immensely over the top (and hysterical). Ben and Fraser never let her live them down.
- Ms. Fanservice: A mild example, but some of her costumes showed a nice amount of cleavage and/or leg (Harley Quinn, Mrs. Clause, one of the assassin nuns from Hitman: Absolution).
- She averts it just as often. For Arhkam City she switched from being Harley Quinn to Batman complete with fake male muscle padding.
- The Heart
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: See Fraser's entry above.
- Memetic Badass: In-universe, her "Broky" persona from the Halo 4 episode was quickly made into this by the chat.
- Serious Business: Becky is always light-hearted and fun-loving when playing video games... unless they're playing Super Mario Bros., in which case Becky will become completely focused on winning and collecting coins and will have no tolerance for tomfoolery from the rest of the guys.
- Team Mom
Fraser's best friend from high school, Ben's laid back nature greatly compliments Fraser's hotheadedness. Ben left the show briefly to attend college in late 2010, only to return to much rejoicing in June 2011. As of late 2013, he's stopped making frequent appearances thanks to his job.
- Ambiguously Gay: Subverted. He and the crew have confirmed that he is straight, but his naturally flirty personality causes others to think otherwise.Kyle: "Before I even met Ben, I knew that he had kissed my friend."Becky: "And that's why Kyle thought Ben was gay."(later, in the same episode)Ben: "Everybody thinks I'm gay when they meet me."Fraser: "Maybe it's 'cause you're always kissing guys."Ben: "I can't help it, they're just so cute!"
- Anything That Moves: Fraser and the Chat seem to think Ben is a pedophile and/or wants to screw a pony. He usually goes along with it.
- Bash Brothers: With Fraser.
- Deadpan Snarker
- "L" Is for "Dyslexia": Often the butt of many jokes at his expense.
- The Lancer: Ben's much more laid back then Fraser and is much less prone to epically screwing up.
- Mr. Fanservice: To the point where the milestone 4000 viewers during the Wii U livestream was celebrated by having Ben take off his shirt.
- The Rock Star: When it comes to rhythm games, Ben is a natural performer.
- Silver Fox: When cosplaying as Sully, much to the delight of the fangirls.
- The Chew Toy
- Deadpan Snarker: When he rarely speaks, it's usually to make some snarky comment in a completely deadpan tone. The rest of the gang will then proceed to assume it wasn't a joke, just Deacon being Deacon.
- Humiliation Conga: Often self caused on the show. Some of his stories during episodes of The Binding of Isaac poke fun at his supposedly awful childhood.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: To Fraser.
- The Smart One: Despite his constant screw-ups, he is the most level-headed of all the hosts, and he occasionally offers very insightful commentary or provides knowledge on things Fraser is unfamiliar with.
- The Quiet One: Unless they're playing a high-intensity game (for example, Overcooked!), at which point he goes full-on Motor Mouth with No Indoor Voice.
- Unpopular Popular Character: In-universe and intentional; the rest of the gang treats Deacon like crap on the show, while the chat (and the gang in Real Life) adore him.
- The Big Guy: Has the attitude of one. A mix of Class 2 and Class 4.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Owns a cat named... Cat.
- Mr. Fanservice: As evidenced by his Sweet Tooth costume in the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale episode, Kyle looks good without a shirt.
- The Social Expert: Put him in a pub with a group of people and the man's undeniably in his element.
- Time Master: Some theorize that the Kyle Fraser encounters while trying to log into Grand Theft Auto V 's online mode for the first time is actually Kyle from the past.
- True Craftsman: Designs and makes handmade furniture for a living. Also home brews quality beer.
A baby doll from the game Babysitting Mama who sits next to the gang and is usually dressed in various costumes to fit whatever game is being played.
- Put on a Bus: Baby Hank was officially retired in the Post-PAX Prime 2014 episode, due to being a Nintendo property.
- Shout-Out: The name originates from the The Happy Video Game Nerd April Fools Episode where "Derek" claimed that Hank was the most powerful name needed for a game.
- Tagalong Kid
- Team Pet
Turbo BuddyBaby Hank's replacement.
MellisbakerOne of the most talented and prolific Minecraft builders, his solo builds usually get their own segment in any Minecraft show.
- A Day in the Limelight: So far both Minecraft Snapshot shows have shown him alongside the crew, teaching them the new mechanics of the game and their various uses... well, there might be other reasons for it.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic, of the mods. Calm, reliable.
- Running Gag: Melli will never be a Turbo. note
- The Cast Show Off: He never fails to show (off) his amazing creative skills in Minecraft and the Miiverse.
- The Storyteller: Generally adds a layer of story to his Minecraft shows including a dramatic Red Dead Redemption shoot out and Train Job in the 1.6 Horse update.
KShadeOne of the first moderators for the site, KShade is often unseen but usually the one making sure things don't collapse on the community side of things, forums, Minecraft server etc.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Arguably could apply for all the Mods; in general they are very friendly and openly interact with both the crew and the rest of the users; however, just try and continually troll or act hatefully on the site.
- Big Good: Sometimes adopts this role in the Chat.
- Deadpan Snarker: Though really it is very rare to find ANY member of the site that doesn't at least have shades of this.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic, of the mods. Task orientated, organized, courteous but stays more to the background.
- Germanic Efficiency: He does a pretty amazing job at keeping the site running smoothly. And he's German.
- Mr. Fixit: He's one of the mods more knowledgeable about computers, often dealing with server issues.
- The Smart Guy: A natural result of his tech savvy.
ISophistAnother mod who usually regulates the Chat and the VGA forums.
- The Big Guy: Class 2. Stress on the latter part.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric, of the mods. Passionate, a strong leader who takes charge but is also very stern, proud, and the mod most prone to anger.
- Good Is Not Nice: Very much in effect. One does not mess with ISo or break Chat rules without risking his wrath.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Of a mild variety. Very quick to pass judgement as a mod but generally hard working a dedicated to making things run well for everyone. Overlaps with I Did What I Had to Do in terms of moderation.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Probably the mod most firmly placed on the latter end of the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism.
- Tranquil Fury: Of a sorts. ISo won't get angry or visibly even frustrated with trolls or haters; he just bans/timeouts them.
Common tropes for The Chat
- Cloud Cuckoo Land: Often times there seems to be absolutely no logic to what the chat is discussing when off the show and subjects can range to a great many weird and wonderful topics.
- Deadpan Snarker: The chat will never let the crew forget any VERY bad mistakes, often turning them into running gags.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Happens a lot, see Cloud Cuckoo Land entry.
- Internet Jerk: (Mostly) averted; despite having much potential for abuse, the Chat is generally a very friendly environment, partly thanks to the Moderators and partly because most of the users are nice people (though constant spoilers and other things led to it being Whitelisted during the live shows).
- Running Gag
- 'Unsub' as mentioned on the main page. Fans will mock unsub for silly reasons.
- Out of context quoting of Fraser, played for laughs.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Probably the most accurate description of The Chat's relationship with The Crew; Fraser constantly mocks the chat and The Chat are just as willing to return fire but this is mostly for the sake of the show as The Chat clearly adores all of the crew and Fraser appreciates everything the Chat does to keep the show going. Several members of the Chat also seem to have this relationship with each other, always trolling each other or cracking purposefully awful jokes but they never mean any of it and are on good terms.
Blastoff365A legendary troll from the Skyrim Lonesome episodes. Has an 32-inch Samsung LED monitor and is the most MLG person you will ever hear of.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: His ultimate fate. He was a man. He became a god.
- A Day in the Limelight: He's in chat for two sections of Skyrim. He manages to become a legend.
- Folk Hero: Enough that Fraser composes a song in his honor.
- Legacy Character: A Turbo took up the name Offblast 563 after the incident.
- Troll: Probably the ur-example of a chat troll for the show.
EnterMEUNAn avid Minecrafter who wears a Aquaman skin. His sole purpose on the show is to troll Fraser whenever possible, a role he performs very well. Aptly named the "Deacon of the sea".
- The Chew Toy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Did very well in a number of events in the Minecraft Olympics. He did have the advantage of being in most of them by being part of a two-person team, but still.
- The Cast Show Off: The Minecraft Olympics show gave an example of his video production and musical skills, with the "tourism" video and the anthem for his team. And during the Turbo Hangout, he even showed off some puppetry.
- Crazy Survivalist: Spending too much time on land turned him into this. He lost the vote to be mayor of his cave settlement to a watermelon.
- Living Statue: During the 2012 Minecraft New Year's build.
- The Scrappy: In-universe, Fraser acts like he hates Aquaman whenever he appears, despite the fact that the fans love him. At the very end of the "Scooby-Doo" build in Minecraft Halloween 2012, he appears as the Trope Namer.
MrChrisMadA moderator for the site who also recently became something of a sidekick to Fraser after being tasked with making Abridged versions of the live shows. Stepped down from being a mod in 2014.
- Accidental Misnaming: His name is Mr Chris Mad, not Mr Chris IS Mad. Though by now almost everyone knows the difference, the name just stuck with many.
- Butt-Monkey: Not as much as Deacon or EnterMEUN but in the Adventure builds Chris is sometimes put through the wringer.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: When representing New Old Port in the Olympics, he was disqualified in every event except the Survival event, which he won.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble" Sanguine, when he was a mod. Gets along great with folks, loves having fun but can be something of a Cloud Cuckoolander.
- The Heart: He's good at bringing people together and organizing at events like PAX, where he works directly with Turbos.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Aughts, most obvious in the Adventure builds. Mostly Played for Laughs.
- The Lancer: As previously mentioned Chris was recently recruited to be an assistant editor for Fraser.
- Mayor Pain: Of the Quimby variety for the Minecraft builds. Chris is technically the major of Old Old, Springfield, Becky-ni Bottom, and many other places.
- Young Entrepreneur: Has embarked to work, along with Turbo peers, on his own content creation channel.
NekoEvangelineAn avid Team Fortress 2 player and trader, also a quasi-character in the Minecraft builds and particularly the Survival episodes where Neko is presented as Ben's wife (Neko being a Cat Girl avatar while Ben's skin is of Snarf). Was a former moderator, but left the role in 2012.
- Ascended Extra: Of a sort
- Cat Girl: Obviously. Ironically the actual player is male.
- Shaped Like Itself: Neko's gender. Neko is a Neko.
- They Do: Upon giving Ben a Something Special for Someone Special in Team Fortress 2.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Of Fort Snarf. She lays the gang out a picnic at the start of the Minecraft Adventure.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: One of the driving plot points of the Minecraft Adventure is to find Neko.
PeskyPlumber64A highly affable Turbo and consummate gentleman of jovial disposition. An assistant on the Team Fortress 2 server; he also draws caricature and comics.
- Accidental Misnaming: Fraser has a tendency to call him Plesky Plumber.
- A Day in the Limelight: Arguably the Mario Kart Wii Turbo Cup.
- The Ace: In the Mario Kart Wii Turbo Cup which also turned him into The Rival to Fraser.
- British Stuffiness: Averted. The guy's really easy going.
- Evil Twin: A malfunctioning microphone incident has led to the creation of "Robo Plesky", a mechanical doppelganger of dubious morality.
- Fan Art: With a fun, cartoony style!
- The Medic: In Team Fortress 2, he often fulfills this role.
- Nice Guy: Level headed, prone to fits of Contagious Laughter, and very accommodating to those around him.
RizuA Turbo with a pretty incredible singing voice called upon whenever a Minecraft build requires something musical.
- Affectionate Parody: If she's not performing a straight up cover of a song, the performance often falls into this territory.
- The Cast Show Off: In the musical department. First seen during the Minecraft Olympics, where she sung the Neo Japan anthem. During the Halloween Minecraft Show, she gave us all a rendition of the "Time Warp/Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Show. During PAX 2012, she gave a live performance of Sonic Adventure 2's " Escape from the City", while wearing a dress reminiscent of Jessica Rabbit. The Summer Vacation build challenge has her singing a stunning version of Vengaboy's Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom.
Scurvy McGeeA strange Turbo who appears to be Fish out of Temporal Water pirate. Does very little prating.
- A Day in the Limelight: Subverted. During Mass Effect 3 's Leviathan DLC, Scurvy's claim that the Leviathan "be a sea monster" has Fraser claim that "this is all about him today" It isn't..
- Catchphrase: "Yarr!" for positive statements. "Garr..." for negatives.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Shades of this. Throws live chickens into fire to cook them in Minecraft but during an episode of The Last of Us, he breaks character and does what he can to guide Fraser through a tough section with Clickers. Accidentally kills Fraser at the start of the Grand Theft Auto V Online show but then successfully chases down a train so he and Fraser can get on it.
- Deadpan Snarker: During the "Video Game/Destiny" beta playthrough:Fraser: How are the other guys doing?Scurvy: We're fine. How are you?.Fraser: I'm fine. Not really. Lousy conversation anyway.
- The Drunken Sailor: Complete with Eyepatch of Power.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Dropping the accent. To quote chat during the recreation of Space Duck in Saint Saints Row IV:Chat: You know something is disturbing when Scurvy breaks character.
- Talk Like a Pirate: His gimmick among the chat.
The Duck FamilyA long line of evil women with huge duck lips, created it games with extensive character customization.
- Always Chaotic Evil: No evil option goes unfulfilled
- Gag Lips: The Duck Family wouldn't exist if customizable lips didn't exist.
- Phrase Catcher: "Quack!"
Space Duck/Hank ShepardThe original Duck in the Gang's Mass Effect playthrough.
Egg HawkeAn adopted member of the Duck line. From the Dragon Age II playthrough.
- Dull Surprise: To everything
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Appeared on the Duck farm one day and hasn't left since.
Lucifeather AdaarThe only good duck. From the Dragon Age: Inquisition playthrough.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Disliked by most people, presumably including the Duck family for not being as ruthless.
- Ditzy Genius: Clever enough, but her inability to grasp why people are afraid of her, as well as her desire for friendship, often overshadows her wits.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Her primary motivation.
Tiger LilyAnother customizable character, usually created for Co-op games. The Most Beautiful Man in the World.
- The Corruptible: If this iteration of Tiger Lily is stupid, he's easily influenced by others.
Ben's KidsBen's horrible children from the future.
- Catchphrase: "Fuck you", "Ben-Daaaaaad", and various homophobic slurs.
- Innocent Bigot: Downplayed. It's debatable whether they even know what their homophobic insults mean, but that doesn't stop them from hurling them in Ben's direction.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: Among other things, toward Fraser.
- Pushover Parents: They turn Ben into an exasperated version of this.
- Spoiled Brat
Old JimThe only figure fighting the Solari brotherhood on the island in Tomb Raider (2013) until Lara accidentally kills him.
- Big Good: Tries to protect Lara, fights the cult, and even after his death the arrows he left behind are of great use to the Gang.
- Nature Hero: Takes care of bear cubs.
- Posthumous Character: Most of what the Gang makes up about him happens after his death.
The BottleA walking bottle found in Tomb Raider (2013)
- Determinator: Drives himself to keep walking across the bridge, for reasons unknown.
- Driven to Suicide: Ben's theory for why he's walking.
- Face Death with Dignity: Fraser kills him rather than let him live without being able to walk.
- Killed Off for Real: Even Lara's game over doesn't bring him back.