Characters in Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter
Armelia Dukal House
Iris Lana Armelia
The Duke of Armelia's daughter and acting fief lord. She becomes the founder of the Azuta Corporation.
- Benevolent Boss: She values her employees and never takes them from granted. It's one of the reason she is so loved.
- Birds of a Feather: With Dean. They both love their job and share the same values.
- Book Dumb: According to Bern she wasn't a good student back at the Academy. However, this was mostly due to a lack of interest: She was so busy chasing after Edward that she ignored her studies. The wake up call from past life memories snapped her into gear, causing her to become the most influential young noblewoman in the country.
- Cain and Abel: Initially she was the Abel to Bern's Cain. However, after Bern's Character Development they are in much better terms, even if Iris hasn't completely forgiven him yet.
- Daddy's Girl: Subverted. She loves her father but is closer to her mother.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After the betrayal she suffered, she has drawn a line she won't cross when it comes to trusting people. She complains Dean is making her to want to trust him with everything.
- Friend to All Children: She visits Mina and the orphans she takes care of regularly, and seeing them again helps her to go back to her former self after having become more ruthless and detached because of the events of the Excommunication Arc. She even says at one point that taking care of children is an appealing plan for when she retires.
- Heir Club for Men: She is the oldest child but only a son can inherit. It was a big surprise when her father appointed her as acting fief lord and she has accepted she'll have to resign when Bern becomes Duke.
- Honest Corporate Executive: An honest fief lord and businesswoman doing what's best for her territory, company and workers. She even establishes a break system and maternity leaves.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Starts to do this more frequently as the story goes on. The biggest example was when she ruined a Corrupted Corporate Executive who has stolen the company from the original owner's son by giving it back to its rightful owner, leaving the thief to pay his debts on his own.
- King Incognito: She masquerades as a regular woman named Alice when she goes into town.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Almost everyone is aware that Dean is Prince Alfred except for her. Well, at least until near the end.
- Love Is a Weakness: After her downfall she concludes love is a sickness. It's why she is so reluctant to fall for Dean.
- Media Transmigration: Iris was originally a Japanese accountant who played an otome game where Iris was originally the game's antagonist. She regained her memories during what was supposed to be game's Dénouement where Iris is punished for her bullying of the game's heroine Yuri. Since she was too late to change the story's outcome, all she can do is pick up the pieces of her life and reputation and forge a new path.
- Modest Royalty: She always wears simple dresses that are confortable to work on. She is so used to this that she designs her party dresses to be easy to move around.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Iris is quite beautiful but it is her brilliance as a civil administrator and sharp business acumen that attracts the attention of no less than two princes.
- Nice to the Waiter: She is always kind to servants, and most of her known staffs are people she saved from the streets.
- Number Two: As the acting fief lord she is this to her father.
- Ojou: She was this in her school before being scrapegoated for bullying Yuuri and losing the Second Prince's favor. She regains this as she surrounds herself with her competent maids and servants to act as her subordinates in her rising merchant empire. She uses her social standing to shut down those who would badmouth her and gains the adoration of the public and fellow nobles for her business acumen, beauty and charity work.
- Past-Life Memories: She regains her past lifes memories right in time to avoid her bad ending. She is the same person, though the memories give her useful knowledge and a new perspective.
- Reincarnation: Iris is the reincarnation of a Japanese accountant. To make things more complicated, her new life is a dating sim she played in her previous one.
- True Blue Femininity: It seems blue is her favorite color since she mostly wears dresses with some blue in them, blue nail polish, blue or white accessories, etc... The only exception is the white dress she wears to the church opening speech.
Duke Louis de Armelia
Iris's father and Duke of Armelia.
- Brutal Honesty: When he saw Merellis crying because she couldn't join the army and protect the people he basically told her "if you wanted to be a soldier then sure, cry, but if you want to protect people there are other way".
- The Good Chancellor: He is the Prime Minister and makes his best to keep the kingdom running smoothly in spite of how increasily difficult is becoming.
- Happily Married: To Merellis.
- Neutral No Longer: His house didn't publicly side with any of the princes initially (though they were on Alfred's side). After Ellia and the Pope conspired to have Iris excommunicated they threw any pretenses out of the window.
- Parents as People: He loves his children but as a Duke and Prime Minister he is very aware of his duties. He planned to break the engagement between Ed and Iris and send her to the nunnery because her love for him was complicating the political situation. He only changed plans when Iris showed him she was politically smarter than he thought.
- Perpetual Frowner: His default expression; he rarely smiles and often scowls.
Merellis Reiser Armelia
Iris's mother. A powerful force in social circles. She is the main character of the author's earlier work Buke no Tashinami (Common Sense of a Warrior)
- Action Girl: She is so strong that only her dad could defeat her.
- Doting Parent: She is always cheerful and loving when Iris is around.
- Happily Married: To Louis.
- Hidden Depths: Seeing her now, it's difficult to believe that she used to be "like a meatheaded boy" and wanted to join the army.
- Mama Bear: She makes clear that she has Iris' back regarding her situation with Ed. She even says that if Berne (who supported Ed's humilliation of Iris) wasn't her son, she would destroy him.
- Military Brat: Her father is a famous general and war hero.
- Missing Mom: Her mom was killed by bandits, which was her original motivation to train.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: We don't see it properly, but she saved her husband from assassins, even killing all of them in the process.
- Parental Favouritism: She took Iris's side over Bern. Slightly justified in that Bern was acting irresponsible and entitled and was completely blinded by his crush on Yuri.
- Red Baron: Called "genius of genius" by her dad.
- Retired Badass: To an extent. She gave up her plans to join the army but she is still every bit of a badass.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She is exactly what one would expect of an aristocratic lady. She also won't hesitate to destroy verbally, socially and physically anyone who crosses her or mess with her family.
- Stay in the Kitchen: She wanted to join the army but women aren't allowed to be soldiers. She could have joined the Royal Guard, but she wanted to protect the kingdom at large.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: As those assassins attacking Louis learned the hard way.
Bern Tashi Armelia
Iris's younger brother and part of Yuri's harem. After seeing the error of his ways, he works hard to become a reliable First Minister.
- Big Brother Instinct: Inverted. He is the younger one but he is very protective of his sister after reconciling with her.
- Big Brother Worship: Iris's hard work and accomplishments inspire him, to the point that he asks Alfred to name her Duke of Armenia instead of him.
- Bound and Gagged: Played for laughs. He observes Iris as she works, completely speechless...and then it's revealed that Tanya gagged him.
- Cain and Abel: Initially the Cain to Iris's Abel, but his character development changes this soon.
- Character Development: He starts as an entitled Spoiled Brat, concerned only with his feelings for Yuri and ignoring his responsabilities. As time passes, he becomes more responsible and mindful of the people who depend on him.
- Hidden Depths: He is the best study in the academy.
Gazell Daz Anderson
Iris's maternal grandfather, a very respectable general.
- Badass Teacher: He trained some of the strongest fighters in the series and is still teaching.
- Berserk Button: The normally jovial Gazell is furious when Bern informs him of Yuri's plan to dismantle the military to fund alms-giving events, especially considering the current political situation with Towair.
- Cool Old Guy: A very friendly and laid back fellow always ready to drink and have fun. Iris remarks he doesn't act like a Marquis.
- Four-Star Badass: He is a general respected by both the army and the Royal Guards.
- Heroic Build: As expected from a general, he is an elderly man with strong build.
- Old Soldier: He is old but still strong enough to give Dida and Ryle a run for their money.
- Passing the Torch: He has passed his Marquis title to his son.
- Retired Badass: Played with. He is officially retired but sticks around the palace to train new soldiers to keep an eye on the political mayhem.
Iris's personal maid.
- Dark and Troubled Past: When she first met Iris, she had collapsed on the street and would have died that day had Iris not helped her.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: She has the most duties out of Iris's servant, being her personal maid, secretary, bodyguard and spy, not to mention her companion.
- Ninja Maid: One of her duties is to be Iris's bodyguard.
- Tsundere: Type B towards Dida. She often sees Dida as an annoyance, giving him an annoyed look when she saw him while she was collecting information, even throwing her daggers at him when he tried to follow after her.
- Undying Loyalty: Having been saved by Iris as a child, she is loyal to Iris and claims to serve her only.
- Childhood Friend: With Dida, and rival too. When they were younger, they often compete against each other during training. Despite that, the two are close where Lyle is aware that Dida secretly trains everyday to maintain and improve their skills.
- Heroic Bastard: He is the illegitimate son of an aristocrat and a maid.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Due to how Japanese works, his name can be Lyle or Ryle.
- Affectionate Nickname: He likes to call Iris "Princess".
- Badass in Distress: He is captured by his previous partner during the Boltique Arc and has to be saved by his friends.
- Childhood Friend: With Lyle, and rival too. When they were younger, they often compete against each other during training. Despite that, the two are close where Lyle is aware that Dida secretly trains everyday to maintain and improve their skills.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He used to work for a criminal gang before meeting Iris.
Librarian of the Duke's library.
- Cute Bookworm: A librarian who spends most of her time reading books and is cute as a button.
- Meganekko: Of course, as a typical librarian and bookworm.
Merchant guild's vice-chief of accounting, before being asked to manage the new institution: the Bank.
- Aloof Ally: He initially was going to refuse to help Iris because he doesn't mix friendships with bussiness. He only changes his mind because Iris' plans are genuinely interesting and promising.
- Smug Smiler: The smile he often wears is so smug, it becomes suspicious.
- Stoic Spectacles: Wears a pair of round glasses and is a strict, distant guy with the appearance of an educated noble.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives a brief one to Bern, as the latter doesn't know who brought the big changes on his own fief.
SebastianHead butler of the Duke's household.
- Cool Old Guy: He is a grandfatherly figure to Iris and a guiding presence to the rest of the staff.
- In-Series Nickname: Everybody calls him Sebas.
- Old Retainer: He has served the House of the Duke of Armelia for generations.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Whenever he drops his cool demeneaur, everybody in and out of universe knows shit is going to hit the fan.
- The Reliable One: Iris remarks how necessary Sebastian is to the running of the fief several times.
- Stock Characters: Therere tons of cool old butler named Sebastian around, and he is only one of them.
Butler-in-training for the Duke's household. Later works as manager at one of the Azura shops in the capital.
- Character Development: One of the characters who changes the most, going from a nervous teenager to a capable leader with a spine of steel. Iris even compares him to Sebas later on.
- Berserk Button: Don't badmouth the people in his charge. Seriously, don't.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a really nice person but he'll rip anyone a new one if they attack the conmpany or employees.
An accountant who works part time for the Azuta Corporation. For more information on him, go to Prince Alfred Dean Tasmeria in Alfred's Faction.
Royal Family and Associates
Prince Edward Tome Tasmeria
Second Prince of Tasmeria and Iris's ex-fiance. Currently engaged to Yuri.
- And Then What?: Okay, say that Edward successfully arrests Iris at the conference to select the next king and sends the army (somehow) after her duchy. The Duke, Duchess and heir apparent would all immediately raise their flag in rebellion. The kingdom is having a famine and the Duchy of Almeria supplies 40% of the kingdom's food. Even if he won, the fief would be in perpetual revolt and its productive farmland would be ruined by war. There was absolutely no upside to Edward's actions.
- Arranged Marriage: Previously to Iris, he is now in a Perfectly Arranged Marriage to Yuri.
- Break the Haughty: Right when he thinks he has the throne in his pocket his brother appears out of nowhere and arrests him, Yuri, his mother and grandfather. Given his behavior, he had it coming.
- The Caligula: Edward is generally vacuous and impulsive as opposed to evil and insane. However he does start slipping into this trope as the story progresses. For example, he ordered Iris arrested because she stated that her fief already supplies a huge chunk of the kingdom's food supplies and cannot increase its tithe to the Crown. He even challenged her to prove that her fief had actually given anything at all for the famine relief effort when everyone in the room is aware that all such deliveries came with proper receipts and records.
- Evil Redhead: Crossed with Fiery Redhead. He has flaming red hair and is a total pain in the ass.
- Fatal Flaw: His blind love for Yuri and irrational hatred to Iris. With the former, he's oblivious that many of the things he does to please Yuri are affecting the kingdom badly and refuses to listen when told otherwise. With the latter, his pettiness to get back at Iris by any means makes him look like a fool and an enemy with Iris' allies and friends.
- Hate Sink: Any appearance he makes is bound to make many hate him due to his stupidity and pettiness to get back at Iris.
- For someone whom claims he wants to abolish the monarchy system, he's also the first to fall back on his authority as a prince when things don't go his way.
- He calls Iris an embarrassment for coming to a royal ball, and her mother Merellis disrespectful for showing no respect to him and Yuri despite the fact that he himself is an embarrassment for cheating on Iris with Yuri, picking a fight with Iris and her mother during the royal ball hosted by his grandmother, and showing no respect to them at first in court etiquette.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Even without Yuri exacerbating his worst qualities, he doesn't seem to have any knowledge or interest in the kingdom he feels himself so entitled to, which shows itself at various points (such as not recognizing the problems with disbanding the military or be able to plan appropriately for famine relief).
- Love Makes You Dumb: All of Yuri's suitors suffer from this, but he is hit hard. Yuri suggests to finance the royal spending and soup kitchens by disbanding the army, arguing that it's unnecessary because there's no war now... and Edward praises her intelligence. Do note that there actually is still an ongoing war that has simply hit an unofficial ceasefire. When Berne tries to point out to Edward holding an almsgiving event at the moment would only burden the national treasury, Edward calls him rigid and flat out ignores the advice.
- Pet the Dog: For all his flaws, his love for Yuri is genuine. He even begs Alfred to arrest only him and not Yuri.
- Prince Charmless: He is a good looking prince, but an awful human being.
- Puppet King: Part of the support he gets comes from nobles who realize he is easier to manipulate and less interested in properly ruling than his brother.
- Royal Brat: Whenever he doesn't get his way he throws tantrums, even in important parties.
- Satellite Love Interest: He only has interest in Yuri, completely disregarding everything and everyone else unless they antagonize Yuri or their relationship. It's so bad that when his brother takes the throne and arrests him (with little chances of showing him mercy) he is only concerned with Yuri being arrested too.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Surprisingly, the reason Iris fell in love with him in the first place is because he comforted her when she was feeling down. Unfortunately, he got worse from there and by the present day, Iris no longer can remember why she loved him.
Daughter of a baron and Edward's fiance. She was the heroine in the game Iris's past life played.
- Bastard Bastard: She's the illegitimate daughter of a baron and a spy from a hostile foreign power. She grew up in poverty, which made her an easy mark for Towair to use her for their purposes after her mother abandoned the mission. Her poor upbringing also led her to resent Iris for her wealthy and privileged upbringing and natural air of nobility, which is why Edward's faction keeps picking fights with her.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: At first glance she is a dumb but kind and well-meaning sweetie. However, not only is she smarter than she lets on, she is actually a spy working for Twil.
- Crocodile Tears: An expert on this.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even working to weaken Tasmeria as a spy, Yuri has serious misgivings with simply abandoning her friends like Van and Dorsen.
- Freudian Excuse: Her hate of Tasmenia comes from her mother falling in love with her father and abandoning her mission as a spy and her father leaving them behind, which caused Yuri to grow in poverty.
- Honey Trap: She is trying to become the queen of Tasmeria as part of a plan to weak the kingdom from inside.
- Rags to Riches: She was raised in poverty by her mom until she died and her rich father took her in.
- Smug Snake: She is not dumb, but she isn't as smart or necessary to Divan as she thinks she is.
- Stepford Smiler: She hides her dark personality behind a Perpetual Smiler facade.
- Villainous Breakdown: As things continue going worse and worse for Edward's faction, her facade of innocence starts slowly breaking down and she starts dropping the mask entirely in front of certain people. People who wouldn't be believed, but it still shows a lack of control. Having Ryle rejecting her hits particularly hard because she feels the two of them are similar.
- She utterly breaks down crying after Alfred taunts her about being a puppet abandoned by her puppetmaster aka Divan.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Whenever confronted she'll cry and plead and appear as the perfect victim.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After being arrested for her part in Edward's treason, Divan abandons her to prison and presumably death.
Part of Yuri's harem. His dad is the commander of the Royal Guards.
- Adaptational Jerkass: In the manga, he is rude and condescending towards Ryle and Dide, whereas in the novel he was polite and respectful even before they showed their talent.
- Distressed Dude: He is kidnapped alongside Dida in the Boltique Family Arc.
- Dramatically Missing the Point:
- He has a high sense of honor and when he realizes his treatment of Iris may have been wrong, he wants to make amends. Unfortunately, he approaches it in a very self centered way.
- He regrets he judged Iris based on other people's accounts of her character instead of talking to her... so he goes to her fiefdom and asks her people what they think about her. Even though their opinions were positive he was making exactly the same mistake. It's lampsheaded by Iris herself.
- His visit to Armenia and later his pursuit of Dida for more info him being kidnapped alongside Dida. As Iris tells him later, if something had happened to him, people would have speculated she was behind it given their previous history.
- Innocently Insensitive: His senpai all but needs to spell to him why Iris would be upset by his plan of winning a visit to her by defeating his bodyguards.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Subverted. Dorsen thinks he is one of these or at least on the path to becoming one. His actions though reveal that he has a very shallow and selfish understanding of knighthood and chivalry. This is why his father's rebuke on how he treated Iris was basically the elder man asking his son "are you SURE you did nothing wrong". His assault on Iris broke the code of chivalry in three different ways. Dorsen used violence against an unarmed, defenseless woman; he raised his hand against someone his better (Iris is much higher than him in the peerage) without just cause and lastly he stood against the side of justice since Iris, after being cheated on and abandoned by her fiance, was the wronged party.
Van LutashaPart of Yuri's harem. His dad is the Pope of the Darryl Church.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He has shoulder-length glossy blond hair which is rarely found even among women, long, narrow eyes and androgynous features.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He asked to settle in Iris' fief as a citizen, using their old relationship as classmates to have her overlook his past actions against her. After abusing this to act as a spy, he was arrested and punished.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Perhaps the worse offender next to Edward. In an effort to get back in Yuri's graces following the arrest of the Pope and the reformation of the Darryl Church, he attempts to settle in Armelia as a spy despite the fact everyone expected this happening.
- The Mole: His entire purpose in settling in Armelia is to act as a spy for Yuri. Absolutely nobody was fooled by his half-hearted apologies but they let him in anyway to give him enough rope to hang himself with.
Queen Ellia Tasmenia
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She hosts lavish parties and buy expensive things, not caring it's affecting the kingdom's Treasury.
- Off with His Head!: It's implied for her part in the actions against Iris (as well as the murder of the previous Queen), she meets this fate, as they border on treason against the kingdom.
Prince Alfred Dean Tasmeria
First Prince of Tasmeria. Though rumor says he's studying abroad, he in fact has been moving throughout the kingdom incognito.
- King Incognito: Despite the rumors about him studying abroad, hes moving around in the kingdom under his middle name, Dean.
- Stepford Smiler: Seems to hide his true emotions with a facade mask or smiles which makes him mysterious.
Dowager Queen Arya Von Tasmeria
Alfred, Edward and Leticia's grandmother. The current Dowager Queen.
- Heir Club for Men: When her elder brother, the Crown Prince, died, she became the only one who had full rights to inherit the throne. However, because it was unprecedented for a woman to take the throne, she married a Duke and had him assume the role of the King.
- Never Mess with Granny: She shuts Edward up with a few words after her grandson makes a fool of himself for picking a fight with Iris' and her mother during a ball.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Her son, King Tasmeria, suddenly fell to his illness although he had been recovering well, which is implied to be Ellias doing. After the king's death, she remained firm in his funeral but her eyes were swallowing the sorrow.
Princess Leticia TasmeriaAlfred and Edward's younger sister.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: While she is not a Politically Active Princess, prefers to put energy in her studies than taking part in the power struggle for the throne, she is the one who deals with all of the documents and compiles reports ever since the King fell ill.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Leticia has been trapped in castle since she was quite young. Even within the castle, her movement is restricted due to the fear of an assassination attempt.
- Shipper on Deck: She supports Alfred and Iris after learning her brother is in love with Iris and believes they make a good couple.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Leticia looks a lot like her deceased mother. The reason Alfred refuses to have Leticia see their father is because of this, since it would make their father act rashly and put her in danger, on top of Alfred already having been failed by their father already on the matter.
Ludius Jib AndersonIris's cousin and Prince Alfred's aide.
- The Ace: A very talented individual who is capable of most anything.
- Undying Loyalty: He is extremely loyal to Alfred.