Hello tropers and taxonomists, my name is TB Skyen, and I'm here to ask, what's the deal with Tropetan?
TB Skyen is a Danish Youtuber focusing on analysing character design in video games.
His major series are:
- "What's the Deal With [X]", which is about looking at a character (usually but not exclusively from League of Legends) and discussing how their concept and backstory are expressed through their character designs;
- "The Boss Designs of Dark Souls", a Let's Play with character design commentary as a coda to the videos;
- and "A Quick Look at [Y]", which generally take 10-15 minute looks at the aesthetics of games Skyen doesn't have time to get into in-depth, such as Darkest Dungeon.
He also discusses things like the aesthetics of movie trailers, particularly game adaptations such as Pokémon Detective Pikachu.
Tropes applying to TB Skyen or his videos
- Amazon Chaser: Skyen has never concealed that he has a thing for muscular women, such as Illaoi or post-rework Akali from League of Legends.
- Analysis Channel: Dedicated to video game character design and art direction.
- Angrish: His fight with Dark Sun Gwyndolin.Captions: HAHKLBFJGKHTJ! WHRGAHJLK!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: A list of the stuff he's been working on in offscreen grinding from Dark Souls I goes through the upgrades to his gear, only to end in "Developed crippling addiction to zweihander R2s"note
- Bait-and-Switch: "What's the Deal with Yuumi?" breaks off the usual stuff after a few minutes to call Riot Games out for having a trashfire corporate culture full of sexism and harassment.
- Berserk Button: Characters who are highly sexualised for no reason, particularly ones wearing a Chainmail Bikini, typically get pretty short shrift from him. It's not that he objects to women being sexy, exactly, just women who are sexy "because sexy", without that really playing a role in the character's story.
- Buffy Speak: All over the place, especially in his Dark Souls videos, which are not only largely unscripted but also often in fairly tense situations in-game.Skyen: I'm just gonna...I'm just gonna not with him. He...no.
Skyen: [sees the Iron Golem for the first time] Him big. Him very big. Him laaaaarge.
Skyen: [after That One Level] Fromsoft needs to be thrown in prison for crimes.
- Caustic Critic: Largely averted. While he'll give a bad design both barrels, he has no problem with praising a good one...although he will still nitpick just a bit.
- Corpsing: Sometimes his commentary during gameplay or while watching a movie trailer can be interrupted by, for example, his hopeless giggle fit at the sight of a furious Jigglypuff in a crappy dive bar in the trailer for Pokémon Detective Pikachu.
- Description Cut: The Capra Demon Boss Designs episode has him talking about how he's heard the Capra Demon is the easiest thing ever, intercut with sepia-toned excerpts from later in the episode showing the Capra Demon handing him his ass on a platter.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has mentioned affection for both cats and dogs in past. This proves...problematic when interacting with Great Grey Wolf Sif in Dark Souls I.Clip of Rosa Diaz: I've only had [Sif] for a day and a half, but if anything happened to him, I would kill everyone in this room and then myself.
- Laughing Mad: Dissolves into maniacal laughter after pressing the "cancel out of menu" button too often in Dark Souls I and rolling backwards off a cliff.
- Let's Play: The Boss Designs of Dark Souls videos are functionally a Let's Play of, at present, the first game (with plans to play the others and Bloodborne when the time comes), with a coda to each episode discussing the design of whichever boss he just killed.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase:
- Opens most videos with "Hello [nouns] and [other nouns], my name is TB Skyen," where the nouns a) are relevant somehow to the topic under discussion, and b) start with the same letter. For example, the Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls I earns the line "Hello giants and grave robbers".
- "That's not [X] at all!" upon receiving rude surprises, such as if he was expecting a shield bash and instead got hit with a spell.
- Nervous Wreck: Has mentioned that he suffers from anxiety, and things like, say, Blighttown make it worse.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: The Akali rework in League of Legends gets him, shall we say, a bit flustered.
- Running Gag:
- Dark Souls ladders must be accompanied by the music from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater at all costs.
- The festering pit of Abyssal corruption that is Oolacile Township has mutated the townsfolk into that most horrible of things...weebs!Skyen: ALL YOUR WAIFUS ARE TRASH! [zweihander]
- During his Let's Play of Hollow Knight, every appearance by Hornet earned a cry of "PRETTY LADY!" delivered in a Jerry Lewis voice.
- Upon switching to less defensive armour in Dark Souls I, he comments that he's not sure how he'll cope with no longer being the chonkiest boy on Earth and having to do defensive rolls like some kind of good player.
- He also mentions that he likes playing Braum in League of Legends because a playstyle that relies upon utterly failing to evade enemy skillshots suits him down to the ground.
- Standard Snippet: The Anor Londo death montage in the Ornstein and Smough episode is set to the William Tell Overture.
- Take That!: At one point he compares the toxic baby skeletons in Dark Souls I to a whole gang of League of Legends players.
- Trade Snark: Captions one of his remarks as "Fromsoft needs to be thrown in prison for Crimes(TM)."
- World of Symbolism: Occasionally his Dark Souls videos can begin to drift into this.