open/close all folders
Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
- The opening of the tournament preliminaries:"It's the Now Loading game!"
- When Tim is the MC for the match between ALG and Diabetus, he has to come up with his own intro. This does not go well.
- And later, when ALG fights as Marth and Diabetus as Mario, Tim points out how both names start with "Mar", and:Tim: "If you take the other four letters...you can spell "I HOT"..."
(ALG and Diabetus start cracking up)
Tim: "And I have no idea what I'm talking about."
- And later, when ALG fights as Marth and Diabetus as Mario, Tim points out how both names start with "Mar", and:
- Emile versus Jake. Emile epically manages to dodge a Dragoon on his last life... only to be pathetically killed by a rolling crate shortly after.Emile: "OOOOOOOOH! Death by spawn!"
- Diabetus tried throwing fireballs over and over... even though he knew it wasn't working.Diabetus: "REACH! REACH!"
- The fight between Emile and Josh consists of several of these: Emile getting two PK Starstorms and completely missing the second one; Josh knocking out all of the Shy Guy racers; and the last kill being with a flaming soccer ball, garnering the victory for Emile.
- The fight between Jake and SyKhotic has several. The most noticeable is Jake's constant bickering with Jon which escalated until the end of the video where Jon was yelling at both Jake and Emile, who was filming.
- During his second match, Diabetus keeps making funny quips about the stage he's fighting on and himself, in a manner similar to Retsupurae.
- Emile refers to Diabetus as Jesus, because he and Slowbeef (who he considers God) created the video LP genre; Diabetus isn't sure how to respond to that, while Jon calls him a nerd.
- He responds by eliminating Emile.
- Emile and Jon bantering while Jon is fighting his semi-final match.
- Tim apparently started dancing during the final match of the tournament.
- Throughout the tournament (which was recorded late at night over several hours), Diabetus progressively kept becoming more and more tired, eventually leading to him declaring that he has been asleep the whole tournament.
- Right before the battle between Emile and Josh:Tim: "Welcome back, ladies and gents, to the Runaway Guys Super Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament! Here in the losing bracket, we have..."
Emile: "Chuggaaconroy... invitational tournament?"
Tim: "I... don't know what the..."
Emile: "Imitational. It's like the name is different every time Tim is the MC. Anyway..."
Josh: "I like... I like that you introduced-"
Emile: "We have not introduced you yet! Do not speak until spoken to by the MC!"
Jon: "Know what? I'm gonna talk too! I'm just gonna mess up everything!"
- During the character selection screen before the match between SyKhotic and Jake with Jon as the MC:Jon: (after introducing the two fighters) "AND SURPRISE THIRD CHARACTER JIGGLYPUUUUUUFF!" (selects Jigglypuff with a third controller as Player 3)
Jake: "And surprise I'm gonna kick you in the mooooouth."
Jon: "Aw, no..." (has trouble closing the Player 3 slot) "Why can't—" (closes it) "—there we go."
Jake: "SURPRISE WHY-CAN'T-WE-TURN-IT-OOOOOOOFF!"
- "Were you, like, tortured by a pun as a kid? Did humor itself try to kill you?!"
Super Smash Bros. 64:
- The entirety of the match between Donnabellez and Lucahjin, both of whom had a few drinks in them before the match started. Bonus points for Jon acting as the Only Sane Man (literally) throughout the entire thing. For added subtlety, Donna references Super Mario Galaxy Versus when she gets an invincibility Starman and says "SHIIIINE!"
- The match between Josh and Tyler with Emile as commentator. Josh starts off as an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy due to his winning of Mario Sunshine Versus and Luigi's Mansion Versus against Tyler and the fact that Tyler had never played the game before. Tyler proceeds to shut him out, never losing a life and ending with 0% damage, admittedly with help from 2 Heart Containers. The reactions of Josh, Tyler, and Emile make it hilarious.
- There was one particular moment where Josh had high damage and was on a tiny platform right next to a Heart Container. Josh frantically runs around the platform trying to pick the container up, instead causing Luigi to dash past and completely miss the container over and over, despite, once again, being on such a tiny platform. Tyler then runs over from the other side of the stage and grabs it right out from under him.
- The battle between Josh and Jake is priceless, filled to the brim with hilarious moments.Jon: "All this tournament is is in-jokes! That's all we have!"
Josh: "Except for that one match with me and Luigi vs AttackingTucans, which was just screaming."
Jon: "Yeah, all I hear-all I could hear from the hallway was the equivalent of orgasm noises."
Jake: "That's-welcome to their videos."
Josh: "Oh, goddammit. There was no orgasming. Let's just make that clear."
Jon: "Oh, so you were faking it. Got it."
- Josh takes a fairly early 2-0 lead, and still loses.
- Jon vs. Tyler gives us "the helicopter pad of love", Jon bringing up the time Tyler said Jon's slow update schedule was caused by him having AIDS, and Tyler casually shrugging it off with "It's because I'm AttackingTucans," and Tyler screaming as though Jon brutally murdered him with a knife and did the same to Emile, only then to add "...I'm alive again."
- When Pikachu (Tyson from WRTP) shoots Ness (Emile) with a weapon causing an X-Ray Sparks effect, Tim (the announcer) remarks "A gun that makes people see your skeleton!"
- For Round 2, Part 2 of the Loser's Bracket, relatively straight-laced Jon gets to facilitate a match between Versus buddies Tyler and Donna, in all of their off-color, hyperactive, trash-talking glory. Hijinks ensue.
- Tyler starts the video by imitating Jon... in a Camp Gay style. Hilarity Ensues.
- Tyler references Donna's "goal" of finally turning Jon into a cute young lady. Cue more flustered Jon.
- In the same episode, Jon's incredibly shocked reaction to Tyler calling Donna a dumb bitch and Donna quickly clarifying that it's completely normal between them. Even then, Jon is still stunned.Tyler: "What is this?! I can't lose to a dumb bitch!"
Donna: "No, he calls me this all the time, it's totally normal. Totally normal!"
Jon: "...what?! How is that normal?!"
- The battle between Stephen and Chris from Wii Rike To Pray has some fun moments.Stephen: (upon seeing his opponent get a Starman) "Piss, no! Piss! Fart and piss! Mother piss! Oh God, piss! Catholic piss! Jewish piss! Lots of piss! Piss!"
Chris: "That's a lot of piss."
Emile: "Also, piss."
Stephen: "Have I mentioned piss?"
- Tim accidentally reveals Pcull 44444's real name, which Jon then uses in a Punctuated! For! Emphasis! Full-Name Ultimatum when he beats him.
- Tyler's Breathless Non Sequitur during his fight with Stephen when he mentions how pretty the stars in the tree look.
- In the match between Stephen and Rodri, they comment about how at this point they care more about the items than actually fighting each other. An egg then spawns and they both make a mad dash for it. It suddenly explodes, killing both of them.Stephen and Rodri: "OH MY GOD!"
Emile: "That's what you get for item begging."
- Both of them get ridiculous amounts of Pokéballs, causing them to joke about being in a Pokémon battle. This leads to Emile firing off Pokémon statistics like in his solo LPs.
- The stinger after the finals match: After the last hit by Tyler (from WRTP) on Jon, who is playing as Mario with Wario's color scheme, Emile edits in a "D'oh, I Missed!"
- Made even funnier by the fact that Jon was expecting the joke, but it apparently didn't come to mind for Emile. Cue Emile pestering Jon, wondering what joke Jon was expecting, with Jon's utter refusal to say it. And then finally, Jon's own comment on the video:Jon: ...and he ended up putting it in the video anyways...
- Made even funnier by the fact that Jon was expecting the joke, but it apparently didn't come to mind for Emile. Cue Emile pestering Jon, wondering what joke Jon was expecting, with Jon's utter refusal to say it. And then finally, Jon's own comment on the video:
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Pretty much all the team names, especially when Reese and Dodger from Press Heart To Continue team up to form "Press Balls to Continue".
- In the qualifying rounds video, Emile trying to inform the viewers about interesting aspects of the game like course design or what the special items do, in the style of his solo LPs, only to be completely drowned out by both the players' comments and the clacking of control sticks.
- During the qualifying round, Team StephenPlays has Mal as Stephen's backseat driver, never being given a chance to steer, yet admonishing him for missing items and crashing into bomb cars multiple times. Jon suggests marriage counseling.
- During a race on D.K. Mountain...Jon: *In a dramatic voice* "Deadly races to the death on D.K. Mountain." *as the players shoot through the cannon up to the volcano, which has an angry face on it* "The slightly upset mountain is angry."
- Someone calls tails on the coin toss. Emile announces that it came up Sonic.
- In the finale, when Emile reveals that they have a surprise for Koopa Kung Fu and Sir Enobmort, the other LPers can be heard going "OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!" from outside the room.
- Retsupurae's entire appearance, which at some point involved slowbeef shouting things to the people in the rooms next door. It should also be noted that Diabetus almost never gets a word in edgewise during the entire video.
Bomberman Live Battlefest
- People from Jon's stream flooding the comments with Bomberman Act:Zero jokes:Jon: "Ahahaha, so many people are asking for Bomberman Act Zero and saying 'It's Still Anyone's Game' on today's TRG Bomberman tournament. You guys are awesome."
- In the second part of the qualifying round, Reese Crosses the Line Twice by saying that she couldn't see Brutalmoose black avatar in a map filled entirely with watermelons. The best part is that was seemingly unintentional on her part.
- Purple Rodri shouting "Revenge Sucks!" immediately followed by Jon unlocking the Revenge is So Sweet achievement.
- "Pick up the skull for an extra life!"
- In Round 2 the players give a Collective Groan at one of Emile's puns, upon which Jon says he has to put up with them all the time, and "It Never Gets Any Easier".
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- At the start of the match between Reese and Yoshiller 2, Reese mentions that she's played the game for all of five minutes, so Yoshiller starts telling her how the game works.
- And when he mentions taunting, they spontaneously decide to take a break from the fighting for a dance-off.
- At one point during Emile and Masae's match, Reese begins to chant "Go Masae." A few seconds later Jon, the resident Canadian, joins in chanting "USA"
- The fact that, throughout the tournament, Masae seems to be the crowd favorite, and whenever she gets a kill, the crowd begins cheering. Lampshaded by Emile several times.
- Every fight between Stephen and Masae resulted in one of the players accidentally suiciding. This is made even better by Stephen picking Pac-Land as the final stage and giving us this gem:Stephen: "Don't trust the clouds!" *falls through the clouds* "I'm dead."
- During the final match, both Yoshiller and PK Sparkxx go as Yoshi, and at one point spend a good few seconds lobbing eggs at each other, which causes Tim to make a long stream of rotten egg puns.
Thrown Controllers Panel
- The general number of computer issues that happen during the Panels.
- The guy in the audience who kept calling out the number of spaces gotten like he's the Count from Sesame Street. "Two! Two spaces, ah hah hah!"Jon: "He's my favourite."
- Whenever the characters moved hilariously slow on screen.Jon: "'Cause Sonic runs that fast all the time."
Emile: "It's Sonic Next Gen."
Entire audience: "OHHHH!"
- "You should not have picked that one..." BRUTAL QUESTION
- And the challenge? They have to spell a phrase spoken in a voice clip. Said voice clip is "Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!"
- Emile puns: Convention edition:
- Near the end of the panel, Slowbeef approaches Jon. According to slowbeef's comments in a Retsupurae video concerning the event, the interaction went something like this.Slowbeef: "Hey, Jon. I was hoping to capture your crowning moment."
Jon: "Fuck you!"
(slowbeef flips Jon off, laughs, and walks back to his seat)
Jon: (into the microphone to the audience) "Slowbeef everybody."
- And from said Retsupurae video, there was Diabetus' being restrained by everyone around him when he saw that they were having a Battletoads event without him. Jon commented that the Guys personally played Battletoads with him the next day.
- The mounting computer troubles near the end of the panel, leading up to the final game:Jon: "You saw nothing."
Jon: "Hey guys, SHOULD I SEND AN ERROR REPORT?!"
Emile: "The winner is Windows."
- Tim's attempt to invoke Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny! after a That Came Out Wrong moment. By throwing a quarter into the audience.
- In the Pax Prime 2012 panel, Emile and Tim start headbanging to the Ninja Turtle music in an audio question.Emile: "Yes, this is entirely necessary."
- Emile's "dispense" pun when a person named Spencer came up to play and Tim's Contradiction line.
- The very first contestant, Cyrus, at the PAX East 2013 panel gets a Brutal Question as his very first choice.Jon: (reading the question) "He's this year's keynote speaker, and he's known for his work on Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal Tournament, and Gears of War."
Cyrus: "Cliff Bleszinski."
Jon: "That's not the question." (reveals the rest of the question) "Spell his last name."
Emile: "OHHHHH WHERE ARE YOU AT!?"
- And then, when Cyrus gets it wrong, Jon reveals the correct spelling and pronounces the Z as "zed". Emile corrects him and tells him to say "zee", proclaiming that "We're in America, dangit!"
- One contestant gets a "guess the game the song is from" question. They play the Tetris theme. His answer? Pokemon. The audience's simultaneously shocked reaction is downright priceless.
- On a similar note, the guy from 2012 who didn't know the name of the villain in the original Mega Man (Classic).Jon: "Everyone?"
Everyone: "DR. WILY!!!"
Jon: "Thank you."
- On a similar note, the guy from 2012 who didn't know the name of the villain in the original Mega Man (Classic).
- The first Street Fighter fight was a total Curb-Stomp Battle due to in part of the challengers setting the rules to one-hit KO.Jon: "Well, that was unexpected!"
- During the first Runaway Guys challenge (Chuggaaconroy's Mario Party 1 Tug-of-War), the game gets constantly paused just as it gets to the climatic parts.
- During the Mario Kart: Double Dash race, slowbeef is called up to compete. He spends the entire race griefing and driving in the wrong direction.
- At Thrown Controllers 2014, a contestant is called up called Abdallah. The first thing he says after his name is his Youtube URL. He then proceeds to give Emile a business card about his Youtube channel.
- Thats not the end of it. Abdallah actually used his video starting Catchphrase when he got to the mike, then gives another business card, to JON, perceiving him as being jealous.
- Also, at one point, Slowbeef gets his number called out. After Jon realizes he's not merely storming the stage...Slowbeef: "Hello, I'm DarkSydePhil."
- After he's heading off-stage, Emile decides to ask him what his "Beef" is. Slowbeef pauses to cringe at him, then obviously decides it's not worth it and walks off.
- At a PAX East panel, after a contestant gets an answer wrong, Emile decides to make a pun about PAYDAY, resulting in a Collective Groan from everyone in the room.Jon: "There will be a lynching of Chuggaaconroy after the show, by the way."
- The first thing Emile says on the first ever "Thrown Controllers" at MAG fest 2015, "Are You Really Feeling It?!"
- During the panel, multiple people pick the dreaded brutal question square. The one time someone does get the easy question, they screw up badly.
- Another screw up happened during a "Who The Heck Is That?" question. The question states that this lovable lollipop-addicted witch shoots bullets and whips angels and demons. The person answers something other than the correct answer: Bayonetta.
- The fact that Slowbeef always somehow ends up being involved whenever he shows up to the panel.
- During a panel at Momocon 2016, one audio question prompted the panel to dance along to the music. The contestant would answer it incorrectly, though; the track was from Final Fantasy VIII.
- To go into more detail for this, the song in question was "Man with a Machine Gun", which prompted the two contestants who were currently tied to start dancing to it. After a short while, Jon turned to look and can be clearly seen cracking up, and Tim gets up and lifts his chair over his head and joins in, lifting the chair up and down. When the song starts to fade out, Jon gets back to the show, saying that he does need a guess.
- One Audience Video Game Challenge at Conbravo 2016 involved playing a game of Kart Fighter.
- Also at Con Bravo 2016, they at one point had a nine-way tie for first place (at 1 pt), and the contestants were falling off the couch and the stage before somebody dethroned them (and Jon/Emile yelling to "Flip the Couch!")
- The contestant who 'dumped the couch' then ends up playing a round of Nidhogg against an audience member. The audience member takes the lead and almost reaches the goal, then the contestant kills him and starts running to her goal... and then accidentally pauses and quits the game.Jon: "That's a new one."
- Right after the Nidhogg challenge, who else comes up other than Jon's waifu, Waluigi?
- Emile and "Wheel of Fortune" goes about as expected.
- At Pax West 2016, one of the contestants plays a game of Bubble Bobble, a game where you match colored bubbles, against an audience member... and it turns out the contestant is legally blind. And the audience member is color-blind. The contestant wins.
- Also at Pax West 2016, when one of the contestants chooses to face Emile for the TRG challenge, he doesn't know Emile's name or username as Chuggaaconroy, and calls him "The Guy In Green".Emile: "I have a name."
Jon: "No, no, no, you're "Green Guy" for the rest of the panel now."
- A spectator can be heard yelling "How do you not know him?!" in response to how the contestant referred to Emile.
- The official YouTube upload of the panel labels Emile's in-game character during the challenge as "Green Guy".
- Later in the panel, another contestant gets a TRG challenge. He then chooses to fight "the one in blue," only to hear that both the other co-hosts (Jon and Tim) are wearing blue, to which the contestant just chooses Jon for real.
- Also at Pax West 2016, when one of the contestants chooses to face Emile for the TRG challenge, he doesn't know Emile's name or username as Chuggaaconroy, and calls him "The Guy In Green".
- At Pax East 2016, a contestant named Steven introduced himself by saying that he loves puns. Emile reacts to this by running up to him and hugging him.
- Jon then jokes that, as punishment, every panel that Steven can pick is a brutal question.
- Another moment at PAX East 2016 was one similar to the Dr. Wily moment up above—someone didn't know who Papyrus was, prompting Jon to allow the audience to answer for him.
- At PAX Prime 2015, things are going smoothly, when out of nowhere, the game crashes.
- Magfest 2016: A young man dressed (and addressed) as Wario ends up winning the panel after nabbing first place within just a few minutes. When he comes up for his prizes, Emile asks him what his real name is; it's Steve. The entire audience ends up howling with amusement.Emile: "I think I speak for everyone when I say he's a real trooper."
- At Magfest 2017, one Solo Video Game Challenge involves just scoring one point in 90 seconds. What is this game? An awful celebrity-licensed basketball video game called Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball.
- At Pax East 2017, a contestant gets Leap of Faith, where he has to choose an audience member to play a video game challenge for him. He just asks if he can get Jirard to do it, and Jon and Jirard both agree. Then it turns out the contestant actually has to play against Jirard in the challenge. He manages to win anyway.
- From ConBravo 2017:
- On two separate occasions, the contestant has to identify what game something is from, and everyone is caught off guard when it's from a Silent Hill game due to being from a joke ending. It gets to the point that at least one later contestant gives Silent Hill as their answer when just guessing.
- One of Emile's challenges is to beat both him and Masae at Mecha Marathon, but Masae herself wasn't informed of the challenge beforehand. Making it better is Jon saying that if the AI wins, he's kicking not only the contestant, but also Emile and Masae off the stage. The AI won, naturally, and Emile actually follows through!
- One Lightning Round asks for whether given reasons for Mighty No. 9 being delayed are real or fake.
- One question asking the contestant to identify a video game character features Pac-Man's iconic silhouette and the description, "This is what happens when I write questions right before the panel."
- Jon inadvertently pressures a contestant into picking Panel Number 8. It was a Brutal Question.
- From PAX West 2017:
- One of the games played is a licensed Sailor Moon game...which has a notice that it must not be played outside of Europe◊. Jon then jokes about being banned from PAX.Emile: "Well, there goes our advertiser friendly rating!"
- One audio question is music from Yoshi's New Island. Jon expresses his disdain for the game during the question.
- Even better, the contestant guesses that the song is from Chrono Trigger, and Emile is insulted.
- The advice given to a contestant when tasked to play Virtua Fighter? "Mash some buttons."
- One of the games played is a licensed Sailor Moon game...which has a notice that it must not be played outside of Europe◊. Jon then jokes about being banned from PAX.
- From Otafest 2017, there was a Dialogue question that made practically everyone attending cheer in approval. Which one was it? "Now it's Reyn time!"
- The very first thing we see in the Momocon 2017 video? Masae Anela wearing a ridiculously adorable banana hoodie.
- MomoCon 2018: The Devil's Deal, AKA the rarest panel in the game, pops up four times throughout the show. Emile eventually comments, "I thought Georgia was supposed to be devout, I'm just saying!" prompting Tim to start singing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."
- As a Running Gag, the crowd giddily chants "SELL YOUR SOUL!" whenever a Deal is chosen.Jon: "We are not a cult, thank you very much!"
- As a Running Gag, the crowd giddily chants "SELL YOUR SOUL!" whenever a Deal is chosen.
- Also from MomoCon 2018, a dialogue question that puts the audience in stitches:
- At PAX East 2018, the gang try to keep it PG this time around. The key word being try to, as the first stumbling block comes from the first contestant's* answer:Jon: "I'll give you one hint, it's based off a movie. That's the only hint I can give you."
Contestant: "I don't know." [starts to answer, but stutters]
Jon: "Name a movie."
Contestant: "'How Jon Gets Women'?"
[audience groans and laughs, panel goes wild]
Tim: "This is gonna go really well..."
Jon: "All right! G'night, everybody!"
- The eventual winning run at ConBravo 2018 turns into this, as Quinn (the winner) manages to get five points before he hits The Devil's Deal, which he rejects, giving him a random category. The randomizer gives him an Easy Question, which he obviously gets right. THEN, he gets Choose Your Destiny, where his five categories are as follows—Easy Question, Audio Question, Dialogue, Solo Game Challenge, Pick Your Poison. Guess which one he picks?*
- At Magfest 2019, Emile chimes in during one question with a joke answer, and Jon says that because he got it wrong he has to leave the stage. He actually leaves the room entirely, and is replaced by Masae Anela. Who denies that anything happened.Jon: "You look different."
Masae: "What are you talking about? It is me. ChuggaaConroy."
- Tim and Emile didn't make their own TRG challenges for the aforementioned Magfest 2019, so Jon made their challenges without them knowing (and he warned them about it). Emile is first and Jon chose for him a head-to-head in Guilty Gear X2. Then when Tim's comes up, he's forced to play best of three frames of League Bowling. Finally, Jon is picked. Due to complaints that his challenges have been too hard, he reveals that instead of competing against him directly the contestant will be competing against his luck by winning two out of three rounds in Coin Doubler from Wario Land, a minigame Jon famously had horrible luck at during his Wario Land LP. When the contestant wins all three rounds by picking left every time, Jon walks off the stage in frustration. And then Masae takes his seat.
- One Solo Challenge is a repeat from Pax West 2018, because it wasn't recorded and Jon really wanted it to be: Beat the first stage in Shaq Fu... on Game Boy.
- Earlier on in the same Magfest 2019 video, one contestant had a Star Fox 64 voice clip in the Dialogue Question where she didn't know what it was. She then guessed it was from Star Fox, which was correct, and her reaction with the applause is something to be seen.
- Shortly after the League Bowling challenge, this exchange happens:
- During the inaugural Thrown Controllers Live, the laptop that had all of the gameplay capture on it got the Blue Screen of Death◊. Jon proceeds to comment that it was brand new, and one of the major reasons why the panel at PAX East 2019 was plagued with issues.
- The image of Emile holding up the Blue Screen to the audience has since been meme'd, not unlike Makoto's laptop.
- It bluescreened again a couple days later at the New Jersey show. On a different laptop. And when it started acting up, everyone onstage was calling it.
- And again during Boston in 2019, crashing the game. After Jon said "these are all the things you won't be seeing today" (for context, the challenge was to survive first form of Seven Force).
- Emile calling out card number 554 in the Boston show prompts the audience to chant "Five... Five... Five...", much to Jon's chagrin. It turns into a Running Gag when they start chanting it every time the number five is mentioned, to the point where even one of the contestants gets in on the joke during her turn.Jon (after another "five" chant): See, now I can't tell if you guys have done that to me or I've done this to myself! Lyndsay, please save me. Pick a number.
(The room goes wild.)
- Momocon 2019 saw several moments of their own:
- One contestent in particular introduced himself. The reactions were priceless.Contestent: Uh, Emile, I'm your worst nightmare. My name is Steve!
NCS: Here we go!
Chugga:Ahhhhhhh! *dramatic fainting*
Steve: I've come to kill you! ...nah!
Proton Jon: FINALLY!
[audience chants "Steve!"]
- One particular "Who the Heck is That?" question features Monokuma, and his silhouette is enough to cause most of the audience, including the current contestant, to scream out of hype.Jon: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over literally everyone in the room screaming.
- One contestent in particular introduced himself. The reactions were priceless.
Streams (On ProtonJon's Twitch Channel)
You can find more over on "TheRunawayGuys Streams" section of ProtonJon: Livestreams.
May 2014 TRG Stream
- The first game the Guys decide to play is Wheel of Fortune. Emile wins. Via showing knowledge of a 70's celebrity no one expected him to even be aware of.Emile: "I'm so sorry I didn't let you down!"
- Things go back to normal by the second game, though, when Emile tries to guess the Tossup:FINCH
Jon: "THAT'S more like it! "
- (For the record, the correct answer was "FANCY DINNER".
- The guys get bombarded with questions from the chat:
- Emile says one thing that unleashes quite possibly the greatest parade of silliness and fan art in the history of mankind, a parade so funny that simply describing it doesn't do it justice. In fact, if you don't want too many spoilers, here's the infamous Mario Party 6 segment via Jon's channel, but if one truly wants an idea of what the whole thing was about...Emile: "Should we do Daisy on hard?"
- About midway through the game (39:02, or 25:40 here), Emile accidentally makes it even worse when the gang plays a 1-vs.-3 game, with Daisy as the one player. The 3 players are all put inside of a box Daisy has control over...Emile: "I'm inside Daisy's heart-shaped box!"
- Which leads to pure incoherent sputtering on the part of both his fellow guys and the chat, as Emile reveals that he has absolutely no idea what that means.Tim: "Oh my god."
Jon: *sighs* "You know what that is, right?"
Emile: "No, actually. I just know it's a song."
Jon: "Jesus fucking Christ, Emile." *to Tim* "Do... do you want to tell him or should we just leave that open to interpretation?"
Emile: "I don't know what it means!"
Jon: "What would a heart-shaped-box be, Emile!?"
Emile: "I dunno, a box of chocolate on Valentines' Day?"
Jon: "Oh my God, Emile!"
- The fact that it takes a full minute and Jon telling him point-blank before Emile realizes what it means.Jon: "IT MEANS VAGINA!"
- A few days after the stream, Jon posted that Reese came over to give Emile a book about the birds and the bees. Jon also included a picture of Emile holding the book◊. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the face of a man who knows he'll never live this down.
- And it's not like Emile wasn't making dirty innuendo jokes himself; he just wasn't getting anyone else's dirty innuendo.
- This gif.◊ Nothing else will be said.
- The whole debacle becomes more hilarious when you recall that he heard of the term from a song... and realize he was referencing a Nirvana song. Dear God.
- From the same game, the AI getting a ridiculously high amount of stars compared to everyone else.
- About midway through the game (39:02, or 25:40 here), Emile accidentally makes it even worse when the gang plays a 1-vs.-3 game, with Daisy as the one player. The 3 players are all put inside of a box Daisy has control over...
December 2014 TRG Stream
- After the traditional games of Wheel of Fortune, Jon asks Emile what he wants to play next. His response: "I'm really feelin' it!" Jon assures him that they're not playing Xenoblade, and Emile reminds him that there's another game with Shulk in it. The stream goes into intermission, and when it returns, Emile is playing Xenoblade.
- In a Funny Background Event, the computer picks a random fourth CPU Mii when they play Smash Tour (the board game mode of Smash 4), and chooses Stephen - specifically, the goofy version of him made using the Wii U face capture at Emile's house as shown in one of Stephen's vlogs.
- In Fibbage, one question asked the name of a French pastry, "Nun's _____". One of the answers given is "Fart", which they assumed was Tim's lie. It's the correct answer.
- Their reaction was priceless.Emile: "What? I thought that was Tim."
Tim: "No... that did not just happen."
- Their reaction was priceless.
- In their second game of Fibbage, one of the contestants had a screen name of Feeling It. Cue the jokes.
- One of the players who joins them for Fibbage has the screen name "Jon's Mother". For the final question, one of the bluffs is "I love you honey don't forget to call". And Jon accidentally picks it.
- One of Jon's viewers tells him he'd sub if Emile wears a bowl on his head for the rest of the stream, He does, and Emile puts a coffee mug on his head... and spill green tea leaves all over himself. Emile's resulting embarrassment had Jon argue the subscriber got more entertainment than he paid for.
March 2015 TRG Stream with Masae Anela
- "Waluigi wants a french kiss from Bowser!"
- One viewer managed to do a Tempting Fate during a stage selection screen. Gold reaction from the group, especially from Masae Anela because she despised Pyrosphere.
- Emile jokes that he can probably shout loud enough for Reese to hear them all the way in Seattle.
- Jon wants to hear Waluigi's banjo music, so he says they need a "moment of silence". Emile thinks that something bad has happened and attempts to go back to the home menu, it doesn't work and Masae explains to him what Jon actually meant.
- During Quiplash, Emile thought the room codenote was "LGBT", so he read it aloud, accidentally spilling it to the audience and subsequently getting a scolding from Jon. What drives the hilarity home is the following incredibly well-timed prompt that left Masae and Jon in stitches: "The worst mistake you could make while streaming on Twitch.tv!"
- And their responses: "Sit next to Emile" or "Saying the Quiplash code out loud".
- Another Quiplash example, and again, Emile is the cause. One of the questions was, "Name a generic brand of hot dogs that you probably wouldn't buy." One of the answers was "Jon's Floppy Wieners". Jon remarked that he expected "Jon's Mother" (a player, not Jon's actual mom) to write that, and Emile added, "She would know better than anyone." He instantly realized the implications of what he said, everyone in the room reacted (especially Jon), and the chat exploded humorously.
May 2017 TRG Stream with Masae Anela
- During another game of Quiplash, the guys are instructed to come up with a clever insult using the word "Twerk". Tim comes up with the winning answer, "You queef twerky beef jerky", which is enough to get him second place overall. Emile then once again proves to the world how innocent he is, much to the dismay of Masae, the frustration of Jon and the delight of Tim, who was seemingly expecting a "moment" to occur from him.Emile: "So, what's a queef?"
November 2017 TRG Stream with Masae Anela
- On Wheel of Fortune, Emile's answer to the first toss up is GARLIC OREOS. The correct answer was GARLIC PRESS.
- Emile shares that he likes rubbing green bell peppers on his forehead.Masae: "Guys, this is why you always rinse your vegetables."
- During Jeopardy, Masae starts dominating the "80's Movie Quote" category, but acts suspiciously confident as she seamlessly wipes the column clean. Moments later, she and Jon start laughing their asses off once the category is completed. Why? Because it turns out that Jon took Masae's controller and had been answering for her the entire time, and Tim and Emile didn't even notice!
October 2018 TRG Stream with Masae Anela
- Jon is very happy about getting his "space princess" (Rosalina) as an ally in Super Mario Party, only for her to be stolen by Tim. Masae and Emile both say they've never seen that happen before.
- Emile's Lost Innocence part 3.
- Plus an bonus innuendo.Jon: "So only blow Toad a little bit."
- Plus an bonus innuendo.
- You can bounce off of other players' heads in the Super Mario Party plaza. At one point everyone just starts juggling Jon.Jon: "Waluigi's in space to find his space princess!"
- Emile gets very excited about unlocking Donkey Kong and begs to be given the controller so he can talk to him. Jon teases him for a bit, but then hands it over - only for Masae to steal it and continue torturing Emile. She eventually give it to him after Emile says he'll give her $5.
- That $5 turns out to be in pennies. That he counted out in his closet in secret so that the others wouldn't hear what he was doing.
- Jewker and Smash Toons collaborated and made a custom themed Mario Party 3 board with references to iconic TRG Moments, both for the individual core members and TRG as a whole. This includes a section where the map appears to go in one direction, but "glitches" and forces players back (naturally, it's in Jon's corner).
- A chat member asked if Emile is allowed to say that Jon's wife is cute, leading to this:Masae: I will beat you up if you don't say that Reese is cute.
Chugga: I... I did!
Jon: Say it again.
Chugga: Reese is cute.
Jon: Say it like you mean it.
Chugga: Reese is cute.
Jon: Say it like you mean it.
Chugga: Reese is CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!
- True to form for anything Jon related, the game crashes during certain events without fail, including certain happening spaces and using certain items. This results in the group repeatedly forcing the game to crash to undo the results of a certain turn.
- Special mention to a particular instance: Jon begins the turn by playing Chance Time and masterfully sets it up to take 3 stars from Peach (Masae/Tom). On Tim's roll, he rolls enough to land on one of the happening spaces that softlocks the game. Incited by the chat and the other players, he lands on it, much to Jon's chagrin. Jon calls back to this moment when Masae and Tom win the game by one star.
- Viewers from Masae's streams continue the trend and donate continuously with an onslaught of puns. After a while, Tom asks for a change from puns to limericks. Good amount of the chat complied.
- As the custom goes for TRG streams, Chugga starts another tangent in which he states that 17-year old him wanted to own a house with Proton Jon. When Tom and Jon bring up the dozens of alternate universe Jon's, in which many are female, Emile drops this gem:Chugga: I always wanted to be surrounded with boobage Proton Jons.
- Darkblade follows it up asking if Emile has a Jon fetish, which leads to:Chugga: I mean, we were all seventeen once.
Jon: When you're exactly seventeen, you're just into a random version of me. You just don't realize it.
Tom: As he whispers into his lover's ear; "Put on this toque".
- Darkblade follows it up asking if Emile has a Jon fetish, which leads to:
- During a game of Slot Sync, Jon consistently rolls Toad while Masae rolls other characters. note . Although Jon offers to go for other rolls, Masae stubbornly keeps attempting to get Toad. They end with 0 points.Jon: "Do you want me to aim for literally anything else?"
- During the results, Emile jokingly bets the TRG channel if Tom and Masae won the board, which thanks to bonus stars they did, so everyone just plays off the joke that Tom and Masae now own the TRG channel and are rebranding the name to "The Runaway Gender-Neutral Term/Them".
- Tom reveals that Emile keeps a waterbowl for his cat Kirby in his room. In the middle of the night, he hears Kirby drinking from the bowl, but the sounds made him think that Emile was doing something else.
- There is so much Ho Yay in this series it got its own page.
- Same thing for Epic Fail.
- The guys rocking out to "What Is Love?", as revealed in one of Tim's vlogs.
- From Emile's Facebook:Had a crazy dream last night that I was getting married, asked Jon to be my best man, and he came to the wedding cosplaying as Waluigi. I wouldn't put it past him.
- At a PAX panel with the three Guys and Dodger, Emile finds a giant American flag on a pole and decides to drape it around Jon to try and 'convert' him, much to Jon's annoyance.
- At the same panel, all three Guys claim that they all make completely different kinds of videos — Jon 'plays video games', Tim 'does Let's Plays', and Emile 'does commentaries'.
- In the video that the guys promote their new T-shirts, Emile is walking up a down escalator.
- At Momo Con 2014, during their "Let's Play and You Can Too!" panel, Ryan from BrainScratch Commentaries quoted the F.U.N. Song which suddenly led to Emile and EVERYONE in the audience singing the first half of the song in unison.Jon: "This is now the Spongebob Squarepants quoting panel..."
- These tweets from Jon and Reese.
- Made better by the fact that one of Jon's twitch sub emotes is that photo.
- Jon wasn't able to make it to the 2018 MomoCon Q&A panel, so a "new" Jon had to take his place. And by new Jon, we mean Masae in a long blonde wig and Lennon Specs.Masae: "Being ProtonJon makes your head itchy."
- One fan gives Emile a Daisy amiibo, and the latter responds by saying he actually needed an in-box Daisy for his collection. He's the last person in the room to realize he just made an unintentional "Daisy box" joke.
- On the day of Jon and Reese's wedding, the Runaway Guys Twitter account reposted this video with the comment "Applicable." It's the Fortune Street video with Waluigi's Bridal Boutique.
- At the MomoCon 2019 Q&A panel, a fan (named Avery as shown in the comments) gets Emile a very special gift: a bag containing five dollars in pennies. Masae can't help but crack up as she relishes in the sweet karma. Avery also mentions that she was only 12 years old when she watched the Guys' infamous "Heart-Shaped Box" stream; Emile's response only makes things even more uncomfortable.Emile: We lost our childhood innocence togeth- oh god that sounds really bad!
(Emile puts his head down in shame as the crowd loses it)
Tim: Alright, shows's over, we're dead. I can hear the sirens now.
Jon: Good night, everybody!
- Then the person after her asks, "What is the cringiest thing you can remember doing in a video?" Emile answers, "Just now."
- Each one of the guys made an intro video when the joint project was announced (Emile, Tim, Jon). Either intentionally or not, each video manages to embody and sum up their role in the team:
- Emile's goes into the backstory of how they organised the group and how they chose the name (it's the origin of the "Press L to P!" joke), just like he talks about the production background of the games he LPs;
- Tim's is an In a World... movie trailer-style opening ("One hotel...three guys...") that makes use of pop culture references and funny clips;
- Jon's came out after the other two and snarks about them:Jon: "Chugga did kind of a funny video, and NCS did...math...for some reason..."
- "FALCON VIBRATE!"
- Jon managing to defeat both Emile and Tim at the same time. Their reactions are priceless.
- All three of them singing whenever someone gets the hammer.
- "Falcon's gonna runaway now! Falcon's gonna runaway now!"
- Tim saying "Let's get ready to RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" with the "rumble" part lasting over 10 seconds. Emile's and Jon's reactions make it even funnier.(dumbfounded)]] "What else can you do, Tim?!''"
- Jon's worst one-liner ever:"GO AWAY!"
- Emile giving Jon his own shoe as a prize for winning the 3 way match.
- Jon having to use a controller he's unfamiliar with during the 3 way match and when Emile mentions he has another Gamecube controller upstairs. Jon's upset that the only reason he's at a disadvantage is because Emile's too lazy to walk upstairs and get the controller. Emile tries using the fact that he's an American as an excuse for his laziness.Jon: "So I'm playing with controls I'm not used to 'cause you're a lazy bastard?!"
- In the Facebook post announcing this video's update, Emile says he got Tim and Jon presents from the convention. He got Tim a Yoshi doll and Jon a poison mushroom.
- Emile beating up Jon in Boxing to fulfill his dream of punching Jon in the face.
- The terrible joke Emile says during golf when his ball is 6.9 feet away from the hole.
- In the outro, when the others are discussing how to put "sport" in Tim's name, Emile gets very close to the microphone and cites himself as the Only Sane Man.
- During bowling, Jon manages to come in first after having a very bad start. Emile points out he's on a winning streak. Jon, however, tries to justify it.Jon: "You know what? Can we keep doing more LP's while we're on this trip?"
Emile: "You know what? This whole trip, you haven't lost one thing."
Jon: "That's cause they lost my luggage! There's the one thing I lost!" (In a falsetto voice) "Hahaha!"
- The fact that everyone keeps using the same car Jon did, even though he only did it as a 'FOOTBALL!' joke and there are much better ones, much to his bewilderment.
- Jon's controller's batteries running out in the middle of his crash, and him calling out Emile for previously boasting that he had put new batteries in everything. Emile gets him a new set and those are dead as well. Fortunately, they do eventually find some working ones.
- Reese managing to miss all the other cars altogether and just drive straight through.
- Emile is confused at Jon's use of the word 'pocketbook' at the end and Jon sarcastically apologizes for 'having looked at a thesaurus once in my life'.
- Jon decides to play as Captain Falcon instead of his Mii that he used in Wii Sports and Wii Party. This leads to a funny moment in the table tennis game where his "girlfriend", a horse, shows up in the audience (calling back to Wii Party in the process).
- Emile and Jon's very awkward game of laser hockey.
- Jon's annoyance at the game not picking up his Wiimote actions properly when he plays Billiards against Tim.
- While Emile and Tim are playing Shooting Range, Jon looks up the sales records for Wii Play and other various Wii games while Emile jokes about Wii Play being the highest selling Wii game during the Wii's launch date.
Fibbage with Masae (on NintendoCapriSun's YouTube channel)
- Emile once again is the butt of Masae's joke.Masae when picking the topic: "This is for you Emile." *picks Loneliness*
Kirby's Dream Course
- Emile's cat is named Kirby, so it apparently assumes that they're talking about him whenever they try to discuss the game. He keeps bugging them and sitting on Jon's lap while he's trying to play. Eventually, Emile locks cat-Kirby out of his room.
- Emile comments on how Jon, in this game and Mario romhacks/Maker, is really good at making tricky shots/jumps but fails at the really simple ones.
- Hole 5 of Kracko: Emile triggers Tornado and hits Jon into the penultimate enemy of the hole, allowing Jon to sink it with an impressive shot on his next turn. Emile's reaction to the whole thing is what sells it.
Dungeons and Dragons with Masae, Stephen and Mal (on StephenPlays' YouTube channel)
- At the start, the players are encouraged to introduce themselves. Emile, who named his character Met Mutark note , starts off by hitting on Masae. Masae turns her character into a wolf, which prompts Emile to say this:Emile: "Ah, a bitch. Well."
[Everyone else breaks down laughing]
Jon: "He did use the term correctly."
- The incident ends up defining Masae's character, who is referred to as Bark, and loves meat and bones.
- Masae reveals after the session that she had planned for her character to be an elegant, refined druid named Solara Vang... then Emile came along.
- Mal announces her character:Mal: "I am Baldrick," (who is actually a male elf ranger) "I am from the Baldricks, we are the tribe of Baldricks, I'm the last of the Baldricks, I am Baldrick."
- "I have a cunning plan," becomes her catch phrase throughout the session, usually followed by an underwhelming proposal.
- This YouTube comment sums up the party in a nutshell:Username Pending: So we have a strategist with no plan, a charmless bard who is also tone deaf, an insane cannibal wolf lady, a barbarian who prefers the art of film to fighting, and a slow rogue. What a colorful bunch.
- During their first battle, it ends off with Tim's turn coming around, but he's unable to do anything. What does he do? Records Masae eating a skeleton with a camcorder. In a fantasy world.
- Followed by Mal shooting an arrow at said skeleton. From point blank range.
- Stephen later lampshades the camcorder usage by having another character use a phone. Saying he's allowed to do so if Tim is.
- Followed by Mal shooting an arrow at said skeleton. From point blank range.
- The scenario they're playing involves resolving a dispute between the red faction (who are sided with a corrupt mayor who taxes everything), and the blue faction (who are evil because they eat babies). Upon meeting the person they are supposed to meet, what does Mal tell them?
- "I will make the most succulent baby you have ever laid eyes on."
- The reason the blue faction eat babies? "We need their skeletons for the skeleton army!" Jon is in disbelief.