The various characters found in Team RAIN.
All spoilers prior to Arc 2 are unmarked
- Action Girl: Naturally, as a huntress, but her upbringing plays into this too.
- Affectionate Nickname: Marron calls her "Bug."
- Break the Cutie: Between the ongoing angst of Nyssa abandoning them and everything that went down at Knothole, she's an emotional wreck.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Robin's lack of social skills makes her one of these.
- Country Mouse: Robin comes from the far eastern swampland of Anima.
- The Ditz: It seems people have to go over the same thing several times for Robin to understand it, or Akane has to translate it to layman's terms for her.
- The Exile: She was kicked out of her clan at the ripe age of fourteen for having aura.
- Eyepatch of Power: Starts wearing one in Arc 3 after losing an eye.
- Eye Scream: Loses an eye protecting Marron from Kamala's shot at Knothole. Later strips show the eye's still there, but it's ruined beyond all use.
- Half Identical Twin: To Tobin. The resemblance becomes more acute when Robin starts wearing an eyepatch too, though on the other side as Tobin.
- Idiot Hair
- The Leader: Robin is the leader of team RAIN.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Until the events of Arc 2.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- We Used to Be Friends: She's the only one in RAIN who refuses to want anything to do with Nyssa after the latter returns to the team, blaming her absence for the deaths of her family members and her injuries.
- Action Girl: Comes with being a huntress.
- Idiot Hair: Loses it in Arc 2.
- Japanese Politeness: Akane tends to speak formally, avoiding apostrophes.
- The Lancer: To Robin.
- Living Lie Detector: Her semblance lets her know when someone is lying. Note that it only works when they're intentionally being deceptive, they can tell falsehoods all the livelong day and she'll be none the wiser if they believe what they're saying.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Akane is arguably the most feminine of Team RAIN, and has hair down to her waist.
- Unlikely Friendship: Develops one with Akane.
- Wrecked Weapon: Her weapon gets smashed by Gardner during their fight at Knothole.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Irving is usually fairly calm, but possesses a bad temper when pushed too far.
- The Big Guy: Irving is the tallest and heaviest on Team RAIN, 9 inches taller than the next tallest member of the team, Akane.
- Drop the Hammer: His weapon of choice is a hammer/gatling gun hybrid.
- Dual Wielding: He picks up a secondary weapon in Arc 3 in the form of a hybrid pistol-hatchet.
- Extra Oredinary: He can transform himself partially or entirely into metal.
- Gentle Giant: He is often the calmest of Team RAIN, next to Akane.
- Ship Tease: With Nyssa. This is further developed when they go on a date in Arc 3 and talk through the events that led up to her abandoning the team. Though it leads up to them considering a relationship, he agrees that they take it slow before that point.
- Astral Projection: What her semblance amounts to. With the right dust, she can become solid while doing so and use it to land hits without endangering herself.
- The Chick: Much less experienced than the other members of the Team, but can also be seen as The Smart Guy.
- Disappeared Dad: Nyssa is the child of a single mother.
- Important Haircut: After having her talk with Jin-Shi about her worsened self-confidence issues from leaving her team, and the Fall of Beacon, she decides to shorten her hair and wear it in bangs.
- Little Bit Beastly: She's a faunus with the animal trait of canine ears.
- Self-Harm: After the fall of Beacon, she gets depressed and comes close to cutting her faunus ears off. She luckily doesn't go through with it, but it's clear this isn't the first time she's considered it.
- Ship Tease: Between her and Irving. When she goes on a date with him in Arc 3, she's grateful to him for keeping her company. During their talk after that, she apologizes for leaving and confesses that she likes him, and he reciprocates her feelings. But, knowing that things are still awkward between RAIN, they both decide to hold off on starting a relationship for the time being.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very shy and tends to be insecure.
The Braith Family
The leader of the Braith siblings.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's clear that there is something deeply wrong with Kamala. She's incredibly violent and ill-tempered. Often just out of sadism if she even bothers having a reason. She also believes that she and her siblings are the only ones that truly exist and everyone in Remnant is out to get them.
- Arm Cannon: Her primary weapon is a pair of laser cannons mounted on her forearms.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Her semblance lets her attacks punch right through auras.
- Ax-Crazy: Without question. There isn't a single moment where she isn't at least on the verge of cracking. All her siblings fear what shell do if they upset her.
- Bad Boss: She makes it very clear that she'd kill any of her siblings in a heartbeat if they stop being useful, severely punishes Viola for failure, and implies that she's willing to test the Grimm serum on her family.
- Big Bad: The leader of the Braiths.
- Charged Attack: Her arm cannons need a second to charge up before they fire, which prevents her from using them effectively in melee.
- Color Motif: Red.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Something happened to her and her siblings in the past, and while her full plan has yet to be reveled, it involves human-Grimm hybrids and a lot or murder.
- Dual Wielding: She has a pair of short swords for close combat.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Fitting that she represents wrath. She's extremely hot-headed and will blow up over the smallest things.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Whatever she does to punish Viola is offscreen, but Viola is notably more subdued and nervous in her next appearance.
- Revenge: Her goal is to exact revenge against the world for some wrong taken against her and her siblings.
- The Sociopath: The only Braith Sibling that fits this without a doubt. She's incredibly violent and lacks remorse for anything she does. Along with that, it's clear that she has manipulated her other siblings into the plan and extremely willing to hurt them as well if they screw up or cease to be useful.
- Wrath: The sin she represents.
- You Have Failed Me: Viola's screw-up in letting Otso escape wasn't enough to get the (very literal) axe, but it was enough to get herself put at Kamala's not-so tender mercies as punishment.
- Ax-Crazy: Only when he feeds.
- Badass and Child Duo: The Badass to Tahlia's Child.
- Big Brother Instinct: He doesn't fully agree with Kamala's plan, but if he disobeyed or acted against her, he wouldn't be in a position to protect Tahlia from her as well as he can now.
- Color Motif: Orange.
- The Dragon: While the largest of the Braiths physically, Gardner possesses a certain amount of pull with Kamala suggesting he is in fact some form of second-in-command.
- Emotion Eater: When he feeds on an aura he can pick up the emotions of the subject.
- Facial Horror: When he feeds, his mouth gapes open wide enough to tear his cheeks open in a Glasgow Grin, giving him gruesome appearance.
- Gluttony: The sin he represents.
- Handicapped Badass: He has a debilitating condition that constantly drains his aura. If it weren't for his semblance, he functionally wouldn't have an aura at all.
- Horror Hunger: His semblance instills in him a constant hunger that he must sate by draining the auras of others.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His semblance allows him to identify and exploit weaknesses. It's potent enough to nearly deplete entire auras in one or two hits and harm his enemies simply by blocking.
- Ax-Crazy: Downplayed. He isn't as bad as Kamala, but his first scene shows that he's already on edge.
- Color Motif: Yellow.
- Fantastic Racism: He clearly doesn't have much regard for faunus.
- Greed: The sin he represents.
- It's All About Me: Ego, thy name is Sterling. He thinks every opportunity is owed to him and gets angry when a battle is easier than he feels it should be.
- Knuckle Cracking: Cracks his knuckles when Kamala puts him in charge of the Crazy Bunch.
- Simple Staff: His weapon, which can split in two.
- The Brute: He's all about fighting and not much else.
- Anything That Moves: Man or woman, she doesn't care as long as they'll let her in their pants.
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: Her semblance lets her change what she looks like to others, though different people see different things.
- BrotherSister Incest: Not actually carried out, but her decision that she needs to get laid is immediately followed by her calling for Viorel who immediately shuts her down.
- Color Motif: Violet.
- Dark Chick
- Honey Trap: Uses her wiles on Irving, while posing as Nyssa.
- Lust: The sin she represents.
- Maniac Tongue: She tends to loll her tongue out of her mouth, a trait that becomes more prominent the more excited (and less stable) she gets.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's seductive, incredibly sexual, attractive, and dresses to emphasise her looks.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Part of her attire.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: In her opinion, Viorel is just confused about their identity and needs to get laid to figure it out.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: She uses her semblance to pose as Nyssa to seduce Hawthorne. Unlike most examples it's not actually to seduce him, but to screw with Nyssa.
- You Need to Get Laid: Directed at herself.
- Admiring the Abomination: Viorel finds Grimm Serum fascinating more than anything else.
- Color Motif: Indigo.
- The Evil Genius: Viorel seems much less combat oriented than other characters, and is more inclined towards science and manipulation.
- For Science!: They don't really have a purpose for trying to get their semblance to work on other creatures, they just want to see what they can learn.
- Pride: The sin they represent.
- Sex Shifter: Viorel can shapeshift into a different gender, and Viola is unaware of what sex Viorel was born as. They're also experimenting with their semblance to use it on others.
- You Need to Get Laid: Viola thinks they should get laid to figure out their gender, though Viorel doesn't really agree.
- Badass and Child Duo: The Child to Gardner's Badass.
- Color Motif: Blue.
- Deflector Shield: Her semblance lets her reflect attacks back at their origin.
- Mecha-Mooks: Rather than fight on her own she relies on a small army of old Atlas combat robots.
- Non-Action Guy: She actively flees combat, relying on her robots and semblance to protect her.
- Sloth: The sin she represents.
- Agony Beam: His semblance allows him to inflict excruciating pain without even touching his victim, whether human, faunus, or Grimm.
- Bald of Evil
- Beard of Evil
- Decoy Antagonist: He's set up as the main villain of arc one, with Viola and Viorel introduced as fellow employees of a mysterious backer. As it turns out, the Braiths are the ones in charge and Otso is their hired muscle and test subject.
- Evil Is Bigger: He towers over the other characters at 7'8", and does so even more when mutated by Grimm serum.
- Evil Old Folks: He's the initial antagonist and several years past his prime.
- Eye Scream: Gets both of his eyes shot out by Robin when he's a half-grimm hybrid. It's later shown that this does not get fixed after he changes back, leaving him with a bloodied bandage covering the empty sockets.
- Handicapped Badass: Manages to escape the Braith's base while old, wounded, and blind.
- Painful Transformation: When injected with Grimm serum by Viorel.
- The Brute: He's a better fighter than Viorel or Viola, but not as intelligent as either of them.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's not as bad as he is misguided. It's more Viola's fault for manipulating him into thinking that the Grimm serum would restore his youth.
- Monster Lord: Big and strong enough to immediately jump to the position of Alpha over lesser Grimm.
- No Name Given: An official name hasn't been given yet, though a few prototype names include the Usurper, the Tyrant, and the Scourge of Knothole.
- Nothing Is Scarier: It hasn't been seen in full, only a shot of an armor clad arm clawing its way out of a pool of Grimm slime.
- Spell My Name with a "The": All of its prototype names include a "the" on the front.
Gilroy FlanaganThe leader of a group of mercenaries hired by Viorel as muscle.
- Boom, Headshot!: Kamala blows a hole through his head large enough that there's more hole than head left.
- Too Dumb to Live: Gets in a pissing contest with his boss's boss, who is obviously unstable and openly taunting him to try and shoot her. It ends as well as you'd expect.
Bianca AlpinGilroy's number two.
- You Are in Command Now: Quickly promoted after Kamala blows Gilroy's head off.
Rufus, Finn, Rusty, Don, Mason, Rouge
RAIN's Allies and Families
- Boisterous Brusier: Very loud, very friendly, and very good in a fight.
- Dash Attack: He semblance lets her speed boost in any direction, allowing her to pull this off.
- Trauma Button: Her childhood home brings back bad memories, and coming face to face with her mother leaves her a meek and obviously traumatized wreck.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She dyes her hair green.
- Clark Kent Outfit: Jin appears to be of pretty average build - until she casually removes her jacket when her team and Nyssa are about to face Sterling, revealing that she is incredibly musclebound.
- Glass Cannon: Given her muscles and weaponry, it's clear Jin packs a punch - but Sterling takes her out in two hits before she can put them to good use.
- Little Bit Beastly: She's a faunus with a lion tail. Or at least she was before the orphanage that cared for her cut her tail off so she could pass as human.
- Right Through the Wall: She hooks up with Finch after Robin's party. As her team comments the next day, they weren't subtle.
- Summon Magic: Her Semblance lets her summon a spectral lion that she can imbue with the properties of Dust.
- Tattooed Crook: Played with. She's on the side of good now, but she got her tattoos when she was running with a bad crowd.
- You Are Number 6: The orphanage she lived at didn't name the kids, identifying them only by numbers. She was 124.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Literally in the case of "dark." When he was young, something happened with a Grimm that left him afraid of the dark.
- Light 'em Up: His semblance lets him glow brightly.
- Science Hero: It's noted several times that Isambard has upgraded his team's weapons and even developed new ones for other characters.
- The Smart Guy
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His is green.
The Lincoln Clan
Orion LincolnRobin's father and head of the Lincoln Clan.
Artemis GarlandRobin's mother and Lady of the Lincoln Clan.
- Action Mom
- Parental Favoritism: Artemis clearly favours Robin. Upon returning to Knothole she disregards Wil and Lilli and spends her time exclusively with her first daughter.
- Not Quite Dead: Kamala doesn't kill her, but does injure her to the point of needing life support to use as leverage over Roderick.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Stays back to hold off Kamala so Robin and the others can escape. Whether she survived or not is left uncertain.
Roderick LincolnRobin's eldest brother and first in line to lead the Lincoln Clan.
- BFS: One he can light on fire.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A slash across his nose and one cheek.
- Looks Like Jesus
- Not Quite Dead: Kamala didn't kill him, but she did take him as her prisoner.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Stays back to hold off Kamala so Robin and the others can escape. Whether he survived or not is left uncertain.
Willow/William "Wil" LincolnRobin's older brother.
- BFS: His weapon.
- Establishing Character Moment: Kills a dangerous Grimm in one attack before insulting everyone in the nearby vicinity.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Not evil, but definitely not the nicest person.
- Jerkass: He's rude, belligerent, and a bully.
- Unlikely Friendship: Develops one with Akane.
Tobin "Woden" LincolnRobin's twin sibling.
- Asexuality: She identifies as ace.
- Eye Patch Of Power: Played with. She has the eyepatch, but she's pretty shoddy in terms of physical might. Intellectually, on the other hand, she's a powerhouse.
- Half Identical Twin: To Robin. The resemblance becomes more acute when Robin starts wearing an eyepatch too, though on the other side as Tobin.
- Super Empowering: Marron awakens her aura to save her life.
- Transgender: In Arc 3, she comes out to Robin that she identifies as female.
Lilliana LincolnRobin's sister who hates her guts.
- An Axe to Grind: She wields a hatchet in combat.
- Cain and Abel and Seth
- Sibling Rivalry: The first thing she does after seeing Robin for the first time in five years is attack her. It's not clear how much of this is zealotry to the clan's "no aura" rule or if it's personal, though comments indicate she was like this even before Robin left.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: To an extent. Where Robin has her father's brown hair and mother's blue eyes, Lilli has her mother's blonde hair and father's orange eyes. Robin wears green and dark brown, while Lilli wears pink and white. Robin is more of a tomboy, Lilli is notably more feminine.
- Throwing Your Shield Always Works: Tosses it like a Frisbee to start off a fight.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: His pistol-sword weapon is actually designed much like the real world... well, pistol sword.
- The Faceless: He wears a helmet that he rarely removes, and even at night he covers his face with wrappings. This is because this trope is quite literal after a Grimm mauling, leaving his face largely nonexistent. Or so he says. He eventually takes off his helmet in Arc 3, and while he's certainly scarred, it's clear that's not the only reason he chose to hide his face.
- Little Bit Beastly: The other reason for his helmet. He's a faunus, and the helmet hid his canine ears.
- Number Two: To Lord Lincoln.
- The Quiet One: Recognizes that he's there for his fighting skill, not his opinions, so he doesn't do a lot of chatter. People often forget he's there despite the fact that he's a giant of a man in full plate armor.
- Revealing Skill: He has an aura, a trait hated by the Lincoln Clan.
- 24-Hour Armor: Wil jokes that he wears his armor to the bathroom. From what we see of him, it might not be a joke. Though downplayed, as we later see he does take it off to sleep.
Yukiko AmaranthThe matriarch of the Amaranth family.
Aka AmaranthThe patriarch of the Amaranth family.
Marron ArmonaNot a student of an academy, but a talented seamstress and Robin's girlfriend.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Makes clothes, doesn't fight, and is generally more feminine than Robin.
- Non-Action Guy: She's a civilian, so she doesn't participate in fight scenes. No longer the case as of Arc 3, where she's started training in combat.
- Official Couple: With Robin.
- Support Party Member: No combat skills of her own, but her semblance lets her boost the semblances of others and she knows how to awaken auras, making her an effective support teammate.
Kiefer HemlockA professor at Haven Academy who specializes in aura and semblances.
Finch VogelAn ex-member of the Lincoln Clan and ex-boyfriend of Robin.
Murasaki MoradoLeader of the Sisterhood.
- Little Bit Beastly: She has goat horns.
- The Bus Came Back: They return in Arc 3 after a significant absence and no sign of their return.
- Logical Weakness: When feeding their auras into Bister's, the other three are left without any of their own.
- Polyamory: They're in a collective relationship.
- Starter Villain: The first antagonists of the comic.
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: Averted. Bister proclaims they'll train for their next encounter at the end of their first, and Arc 3 proves they did. Getting their weapons back from the ruins of Beacon also helped.
Periwinkle BisterThe ringleader.
- Combat by Champion: Her Semblance lets her allies feed their auras into hers, greatly boosting her defensive power. To hurt her, one has to deal four auras worth of damage. As a result, BRUT's typical strategy is to let her serve as their champion against a single enemy.
- Revenge: She does not take being made a fool of lightly. Seeing a group with Nyssa in it is enough to immediately earn her undivided aggression.
Kim RezarThe muscle.
- Blood Knight: Disappointed when a fight ends pre-emptively and threatens to continue it later.
- Carry a Big Stick: Her weapon is Mortal Coil, a baseball bat that can transform into a spiked kanabo.
- Fantastic Racism: Openly anti-faunus and mocks Nyssa at every opportunity.
- Mind over Matter: Her Semblance lets her telekinetically shape and move gold.
Blanche UmberThe brooder.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her outfit in Arc 3 is open from the neck to her belt.