The various characters found in Team RAIN.
All spoilers prior to Arc 2 are unmarked
- Action Girl: Naturally, as a huntress, but her upbringing plays into this too.
- Bi the Way: Robin likes both boys and girls.
- Break the Cutie: Between the ongoing angst of Nyssa abandoning them and everything that went down at Knothole, she's an emotional wreck.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Robin's lack of social skills makes her one of these.
- Country Mouse: Robin comes from the far eastern swampland of Anima.
- The Ditz: It seems people have to go over the same thing several times for Robin to understand it, or Akane has to translate it to layman's terms for her.
- The Exile: She was kicked out of her clan at the ripe age of fourteen for having aura.
- Eye Scream: Loses an eye protecting Marron from Kamala's shot at Knothole.
- Half Identical Twin: To Tobin.
- Idiot Hair
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Leader: Robin is the leader of team RAIN.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Action Girl: Comes with being a huntress.
- Idiot Hair
- Japanese Politeness: Akane tends to speak formally, avoiding apostrophes.
- The Lancer: To Robin.
- Living Lie Detector: Her semblance lets her know when someone is lying. Note that it only works when they're intentionally being deceptive, they can tell falsehoods all the livelong day and she'll be none the wiser if they believe what they're saying.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Akane is arguably the most feminine of Team RAIN, and has hair down to her waist.
- Wrecked Weapon: Her weapon gets smashed by Gardner during their fight at Knothole.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Irving is usually fairly calm, but possesses a bad temper when pushed too far.
- The Big Guy: Irving is the tallest and heaviest on Team RAIN, 9 inches taller than the next tallest member of the team, Akane.
- Drop the Hammer: His weapon of choice is a hammer/gatling gun hybrid.
- Extra Oredinary: He can transform himself partially or entirely into metal.
- Gentle Giant: He is often the calmest of Team RAIN, next to the vaguely more neurotic Nyssa.
- Astral Projection: What her semblance amounts to. With the right dust, she can become solid while doing so and use it to land hits without endangering herself.
- Disappeared Dad: Nyssa is the child of a single mother.
- Little Bit Beastly: She's a faunus with the animal trait of canine ears.
- The Chick: Much less experienced than the other members of the Team, but can also be seen as The Smart Guy.
- Self-Harm: After the fall of Beacon, she gets depressed and comes close to cutting her faunus ears off. She luckily doesn't go through with it, but it's clear this isn't the first time she's considered it.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very shy and tends to be insecure.
The Braith Family
The leader of the Braith siblings.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's clear that there is something deeply wrong with Kamala. She's incredibly violent and ill-tempered. Often just out of sadism if she even bothers having a reason. She also believes that she and her siblings are the only ones that truly exist and everyone in Remnant is out to get them.
- Arm Cannon: Her primary weapon is a pair of laser cannons mounted on her forearms.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Her semblance lets her attacks punch right through auras.
- Ax-Crazy: Without question. There isn't a single moment where she isn't at least on the verge of cracking. All her siblings fear what shell do if they upset her.
- Bad Boss: She makes it very clear that she'd kill any of her siblings in a heartbeat if they stop being useful.
- Big Bad: As she's the leader of the Braiths, it seems this way.
- Charged Attack: Her arm cannons need a second to charge up before they fire, which prevents her from using them effectively in melee.
- Color Motif: Red.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Something happened to her and her siblings in the past, and while her full plan has yet to be reveled, it involves human-Grimm hybrids and a lot or murder.
- Dual Wielding: She has a pair of short swords for close combat.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Fitting that she represents wrath. She's extremely hot-headed and will blow up over the smallest things.
- The Sociopath: The only Braith Sibling that fits this without a doubt. She's incredibly violent and lacks remorse for anything she does. Along with that, it's clear that she has manipulated her other siblings into the plan and extremely willing to hurt them as well if they screw up or cease to be useful.
- Wrath: The sin she represents.
- You Have Failed Me: Viola's screw-up in letting Otso escape wasn't enough to get the (very literal) axe, but it was enough to get herself put at Kamala's not-so tender mercies as punishment.
- Ax-Crazy: Only when he feeds.
- Color Motif: Orange.
- The Dragon: While the largest of the Braiths physically, Gardner possesses a certain amount of pull with Kamala suggesting he is in fact some form of second-in-command.
- Emotion Eater: When he feeds on an aura he can pick up the emotions of the subject.
- Facial Horror: When he feeds, his mouth gapes open wide enough to tear his cheeks open in a Glasgow Grin, giving him gruesome appearance.
- Gluttony: The sin he represents.
- Handicapped Badass: He has a debilitating condition that constantly drains his aura. If it weren't for his semblance, he functionally wouldn't have an aura at all.
- Horror Hunger: His semblance instills in him a constant hunger that he must sate by draining the auras of others.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His semblance allows him to identify and exploit weaknesses. It's potent enough to nearly deplete entire auras in one or two hits and harm his enemies simply by blocking.
- Ax-Crazy: Downplayed. He isn't as bad as Kamala, but his first scene shows that he's already on edge.
- Color Motif: Yellow.
- Fantastic Racism: He clearly doesn't have much regard for faunus.
- Greed: The sin he represents.
- It's All About Me: Ego, thy name is Sterling. He thinks every opportunity is owed to him and gets angry when a battle is easier than he feels it should be.
- Simple Staff: His weapon, which can split in two.
- The Brute: He's all about fighting and not much else.
- Anything That Moves: Man or woman, she doesn't care as long as they'll let her in their pants.
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: Her semblance lets her change what she looks like to others, though different people see different things.
- BrotherSister Incest: Not actually carried out, but her decision that she needs to get laid is immediately followed by her calling for Viorel who immediately shuts her down.
- Color Motif: Violet.
- Dark Chick
- Honey Trap: Uses her wiles on Irving, while posing as Nyssa.
- Lust: The sin she represents.
- Maniac Tongue: She tends to loll her tongue out of her mouth, a trait that becomes more prominent the more excited (and less stable) she gets.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's seductive, incredibly sexual, attractive, and dresses to emphasise her looks.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Part of her attire.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: In her opinion, Viorel is just confused about their identity and needs to get laid to figure it out.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: She uses her semblance to pose as Nyssa to seduce Hawthorne. Unlike most examples it's not actually to seduce him, but to screw with Nyssa.
- You Need to Get Laid: Directed at herself.
- Color Motif: Indigo.
- The Evil Genius: Viorel seems much less combat oriented than other characters, and is more inclined towards science and manipulation.
- For Science!: They don't really have a purpose for trying to get their semblance to work on other creatures, they just want to see what they can learn.
- Pride: The sin they represent.
- Sex Shifter: Viorel can shapeshift into a different gender, and Viola is unaware of what sex Viorel was born as. They're also experimenting with their semblance to use it on others.
- You Need to Get Laid: Viola thinks they should get laid to figure out their gender, though Viorel doesn't really agree.
- Color Motif: Blue.
- Deflector Shield: Her semblance lets her reflect attacks back at their origin.
- Mecha-Mooks: Rather than fight on her own she relies on a small army of old Atlas combat robots.
- Non-Action Guy: She actively flees combat, relying on her robots and semblance to protect her.
- Sloth: The sin she represents.
- Agony Beam: His semblance allows him to inflict excruciating pain without even touching his victim, whether human, faunus, or Grimm.
- Decoy Antagonist: He's set up as the main villain of arc one, with Viola and Viorel introduced as fellow employees of a mysterious backer. As it turns out, the Braiths are the ones in charge and Otso is their hired muscle and test subject.
- Evil Is Bigger: He towers over the other characters at 7'8", and does so even more when mutated by Grimm serum.
- Evil Old Folks: He's the initial antagonist and several years past his prime.
- Eye Scream: Gets both of his eyes shot out by Robin when he's a half-grimm hybrid. It's later shown that this does not get fixed after he changes back, leaving him with a bloodied bandage covering the empty sockets.
- Handicapped Badass: Manages to escape the Braith's base while old, wounded, and blind.
- Painful Transformation: When injected with Grimm serum by Viorel.
- The Brute: He's a better fighter than Viorel or Viola, but not as intelligent as either of them.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's not as bad as he is misguided. It's more Viola's fault for manipulating him into thinking that the Grimm serum would restore his youth.
- Monster Lord: Big and strong enough to immediately jump to the position of Alpha over lesser Grimm.
- No Name Given: An official name hasn't been given yet, though a few prototype names include the Usurper, the Tyrant, and the Scourge of Knothole.
- Nothing Is Scarier: It hasn't been seen in full, only a shot of an armor clad arm clawing its way out of a pool of Grimm slime.
- Spell My Name with a "The": All of its prototype names include a "the" on the front.
RAIN's Allies and Families
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She dyes her hair green.
- Glass Cannon: Given her muscles and weaponry, it's clear Jin packs a punch - but Sterling takes her out in two hits before she can put them to good use.
- Little Bit Beastly: She's a faunus with a lion tail. Or at least she was before the orphanage that cared for her cut her tail off so she could pass as human.
- Clark Kent Outfit: Jin appears to be of pretty average build - until she casually removes her jacket when her team and Nyssa are about to face Sterling, revealing that she is incredibly musclebound.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His is green.
The Lincoln Clan
Orion LincolnRobin's father and head of the Lincoln Clan.
- Character Death: Killed by Kamala during the battle of Knothole.
Artemis GarlandRobin's mother and Lady of the Lincoln Clan.
Roderick LincolnRobin's eldest brother and first in line to lead the Lincoln Clan.
William "Wil" LincolnRobin's older brother.
Tobin "Woden" LincolnRobin's twin brother.
Lilliana LincolnRobin's sister who hates her guts.
- An Axe to Grind: She wields a hatchet in combat.
- Sibling Rivalry: The first thing she does after seeing Robin for the first time in five years is attack her. It's not clear how much of this is zealotry to the clan's "no aura" rule or if it's personal, though comments indicate she was like this even before Robin left.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: To an extent. Where Robin has her father's brown hair and mother's blue eyes, Lilli has her mother's blonde hair and father's orange eyes. Robin wears green and dark brown, while Lilli wears pink and white. Robin is more of a tomboy, Lilli is notably more feminine.
- Throwing Your Shield Always Works: Tosses it like a Frisbee to start off a fight.
- The Faceless: He wears a helmet that he rarely removes. This is because this trope is quite literal after a Grimm mauling, leaving his face largely nonexistent.
- Number Two: To Lord Lincoln.
- The Quiet One: Recognizes that he's there for his fighting skill, not his opinions, so he doesn't do a lot of chatter.
Marron ArmonaNot a student of an academy, but a talented seamstress and Robin's girlfriend.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Makes clothes, doesn't fight, and is generally more feminine than Robin.
- Non-Action Guy: She's a civilian, so she doesn't participate in fight scenes.
- Official Couple: With Robin.
- Support Party Member: No combat skills of her own, but her semblance lets her boost the semblances of others and she knows how to awaken auras, making her an effective support teammate.