Harmonians and associates
open/close all folders
Harmonian Southern Frontier Defense Force
- Combination Attack: With the exception of Aila, they can perform the "Mercenary B" unite attack.
- Ace and Joker have their own unite attack, "Mercenary A".
- Nom de Guerre: Geddoe's subordinates all go by card-based Theme Naming.
- Geddoe is also kwno as the "Black Mercenary", "Black Hawk" and "Thunder Swordsman".
- Only Known by Their Nickname: No one know their real names.
- Broken Ace
- Brought Down to Normal: Luc and Sarah lures him to a trap in Mt. Sanae and steals his True Rune, weakening him and removing his immortality. Geddoe menages to get it back in the last dungeon.
- The Captain: Of the 12th Defense Force unit of Harmonia, with the power and respect to back it up.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has black hair and black eyes.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dresses in black and black hair has a black eyepatch, yet is one of the protagonists.
- Discard and Draw: If you choose him as the Flame Champion successor, he will lose his True Lightning Rune (which goes to Hugo) and inherit the True Fire Rune.
- Elemental Powers: Canonically, Geddoe has the True Lightning Rune, but the player can make him inherit the True Fire Rune. Curiously, he has best compatibility with Fire Magic than Hugo and Chris.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Handicapped Badass: He's missing an eye. Yet, he still kicks ass.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Is one of the protagonists and wields a bird-named sword: "Crow", "Geese" and "Wild Geese".
- The Leader: Of his mercenary group.
- Knight In Sour Armor
- Legacy Character: Geddoe can be chosen as the successor of the Flame Champion and inherit his True Fire Rune. By doing so, Hugo will take his True Lightning Rune. However, Geddoe can never inherit the True Water Rune.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Magic Knight: Equally skilled with sword and magic.
- Master Swordsman
- The Paragon
- The Quiet One: Even when he's the main character, he tends to let others do the talking for him.
- Really 700 Years Old: He is 112 years old at the time of Suikoden III.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran
- The Stoic: Geddoe is quiet and serious man who rarely displayed emotions.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- Zen Survivor
- Action Girl
- Fallen Princess: She was a member of a high-ranking noble family in a country that got conquered by Harmonia.
- Granola Girl: She's vegan.
- Lady of War
- The Lancer / The Chick: Doubles up as the lancer with Ace, but is also the only female on the team until Aila joins.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Poisoned Weapons: Has the Ripple Rune, which can poison the target.
- Power Hair
- Royal Rapier: Her weapon.
- The Smurfette Principle: Until Aila joined Geddoe's team.
- Team Mom
- The Ace: Subverted. Despite his name, Ace is the Butt-Monkey of the crew and is said to spend the team's money buying gifts for women. However, he is implied to be the Hitman Bravo, writer of "The Adventures of Erk".
- Badass Bookworm: He enjoys reading and can be found at the castle's library.
- Bash Brothers: With Joker.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Dating Catwoman: Previously dated Elaine from Duke's squad.
- Handsome Lech
- Hidden Depths: He enjoys writing, and says he's writing a novel under a penname. It's widely believed that Hitman Bravo is that penname and that he wrote Erk's Adventures, which appears in the castle newspaper.
- The Lancer: The laid-back joker to Geddoe's brooding soldier.
- Sai Guy: Wields a pair of them.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and Joker.
- Badass Mustache
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fight with his bare hands.
- Bash Brothers: With Ace.
- Cool Old Guy
- Nom de Guerre: In Suikogaiden Vol. 2, he went by Wang. Neither name is his real name.
- Playing with Fire: Has a Fire Rune attached.
- Purple Is Powerful: His clothes are all purple.
- The Smart Guy
- Team Dad
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and Ace.
- Archer Archetype: A stoic, seemingly aloof sniper and the only character in the game to have an S rank in accuracy.
- Automatic Crossbow: His weapon.
- The Big Guy: In terms of combat capability, rather than actual size.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Deadpan Snarker: Believe it or not. He tells at least two jokes without skipping a beat, and both are surprisingly funny.
- Friendly Sniper: At first glance seems more the cold variety, but proves himself to be surprisingly friendly, with a deadpan sense of humor.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Justified stats-wise, thanks to his S-rank in accuracy.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: With Aila
- The Quiet One
- Ship Tease: With Aila.
- Tag Along Kid: Was the newest and youngest member of the unit until Aila joined.
- Big Damn Heroes: They make one to rescue Geddoe team and Le Buque civilians from a horde of monsters.
- Combination Attack: They can perform the "Mercenary D" unite attack.
- Duke and Elaine have their own unite attack, "Mercenary C".
- HeelFace Turn: They will join the 108 Stars of Destiny if Geddoe refuses to abandon the Le Buque civilians.
- Action Fashionista: Is a fighter and is interested in fashion.
- Artificial Limbs: Implied. Elaine seems to have a mechanical left arm, but it may be only a metal gauntlet. The game made no mentions about it.
- Elemental Powers: Has a Fire Rune and a Water one.
- Girly Bruiser: Elaine is vain and very competitive with the others females (particularly Queen and Jeane), but is also a competent fighter.
- Hello, Nurse!: As far as Ace is concerned. Elaine suggestion box entry also states that she receive many love letters, but isn't interested.
- Lady in Red: Elaine wears a red shirt with an Impossibly-Low Neckline and is The Tease.
- Miss Fanservice: Due to her clothes Impossibly-Low Neckline.
- Royal Rapier: Wields the Zetsu Myoken.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: To Queen and, in a slight degree, Ace.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female in Duke's team.
- An Axe to Grind: Uses an axe for combat.
- Cool Old Guy: The oldest member of Duke's team.
- Genius Bruiser
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Has a shield in his back.
- Older Side Kick: To Duke and his crew; Nicolas served Duke's father and now works for him.
- Only Sane Man: To Duke's group.
- Parental Substitute: To Duke.
- Punch-Clock Villain
- Berserk Button: Insulting Duke triggers him.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon is named Oral Teachings.
- Eye Patch Of Power: Has an eye patch.
- Handicapped Badass: Is missing an eye and a tail. The latter was cut off due to his own Sadistic Choice.
- One Steve Limit: He is the only Gau in this game, but Suikoden IV also has a character with the same name as him.
- Petting Zoo People: Gau is a kobold, a humanoid dog.
- The Stoic
- Token Non-Human: Is the only non-human in Duke's group.
Holy Kingdom of HarmoniaFor Sasarai, see Suikoden Recurring Characters.
- Amazon Chaser: He explains his relentless flirting with Chis as her Lady of War nature reminding him of his equally tough wife.
- Hero of Another Story: Has a PlayStation Visual Novel in two volumes, Suikogaiden, wherein he is the main protagonist. It showed that he participated behind the scenes in various events of Suikoden II. Never did come out from Japan though.
- There is an english patch for those interested.
- Implied Love Interest: His wife who he constantly mentions is implied to be the thousand year old vampire Sierra Mikain. And given that he looks like he hasn't aged a day in the 15 years between the games, many fans have speculated that she turned him into a vampire.
- Knife Nut: While his Gaiden Game had him Dual Wielding a pair of large swords to great effect, this time around he uses knives instead. (The fact that the swords in question were allegedly cursed to send Nash into a berserker rage where he could not distinguish friend from foe may have something to do with this decision.)
- Making a Splash: In Suikoden III, Nash has a Water Rune attached.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: And he has some sort of knife-launcher for them hidden up his sleeve.
- Scarf Of Ass Kicking
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- Cool Sword: Subverted. He has a sword but, when Sasarai asks him to duel Hugo, he say that it is only a decoration and that he left the real thing in home.
- Discount Card: Has the Discount Ability, which lowers the price of various goods and services.
- Gag Nose: Jefferson even names him "big nose prize!"
- Nice Hat: Wears a small black hat.
- No Social Skills: Isn't very good with people, according to Kidd's investigation.
Le Buque (former Carna clan)
- Blade on a Stick: Fights with a lance.
- Combination Attack: Franz can perform the "Adonis (Pretty Boy) attack" with Fred and Futch.
- The Neidermeyer: His status as The Quisling earned him the ire of his subordinates along with most of the residents of Le Beque.
- The Quisling: A rare sympathetic example; third class citizens are litle more than slaves. He sees promotion to second class (which would allow them to be more akin to a self-governing but subordinate kingdom under Harmonia) as the most realistic way to help his fellows.
- Shock and Awe: Has a Lightning Rune attached.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- The Unfavorite
- Victorious Childhood Friend: To Iku.
The DestroyersFor Yuber, see Suikoden Recurring Characters.
- Dishing Out Dirt: They steal the True Earth Rune from Sasarai and use its power to extract Chris and Geddoe's True Runes.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: You are supposed to lose every fight against them during the first three chapters. That said, only the duel between Hugo and Yuber is unwinnable; the others can be won by either level grinding, having a good strategy, or just by luck.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Sarah and Yuber cannot get along. Justified as Sarah is a Anti-Villain with standards and is loyal to Luc, while Yuber is a Psycho for Hire Blood Knight.
- Villain Episode: After beating the game with every Star Of Destiny recruited, an extra Chapter, starring them is unlocked.
The Masked Bishop (Spoilers)
See "Luc" in the Suikoden Recurring Characters sub-page.
- Anti-Villain: Types II and III, with a dash of IV.
- Apologetic Attacker: She makes it crystal clear that she takes no pleasure in the sheer body count she racks up in Luc'a name.
- Child Mage Prodigy: She was born with a Flowing Rune attached to her head, and she became fluent in Sindar at a young age. She was imprisoned as a little girl for being a witch as a result.
- Combat Medic: She has a Flowing Rune, meaning she can both heal her party and nuke yours with little effort.
- Dark Action Girl: Just as capable of kicking ass as Luc or Yuber. Her magic power was the key to the Destroyers' plan.
- The Dark Chick: Of the Destroyers and the only female in the team.
- The Dragon: To Luc.
- Emotionless Girl: Her expression rarely changes, even in combat. Unless it involves her feelings for Luc, that is.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Played with. She does what she can to keep casualties to a minimum, but if Luc gives her an order, she follows it without question.
- Healing Hands: Sarah can heal her allies with the Flowing Rune, and given her own affinity with magic, it's not a bad idea to Shoot the Medic First whenever she's on the battlefield. Hopefully before Yuber or Luc nukes the party.
- Lady of Black Magic: A reserved and emotionless Chizen Star who has powerful Runes.
- Love Makes You Evil: Kind of. She takes no pleasure in her actions and even demonstrates remorse on occasion, but her utter devotion to Luc overrides her conscience every single time.
- Love Martyr: Luc is by no means abusive towards her in any way, but she is pretty much incapable of saying no to him. She might not like it, but she will kill untold amounts of people, plunge the entire world into war, and be complicit in a plan that would kill billions including possibly God by destroying a True Rune, basically because Luc told her to. She willingly pushes herself to the point of exhaustion for him.
- Madwoman in the Attic: Due to her unique powers, Sarah was imprisoned within the Circle Palace.
- Magic Staff: Wields one in battle.
- Making a Splash: Sarah possessed a Flowing Rune, (a powered-up version of the Water Rune) from birth.
- Master of Illusion: One of her major powers, and the key to Luc's Evil Plan. He basically used this in combination with his own Summon Magic to start a series of false flag attacks, throwing the Grasslands into war for the first phase of his plan.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Luc is only 30, but he still has the True Wind Rune.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: She willingly commits utter atrocities for no other reason than because Luc wanted it, despite holding no illusions that they aren't immoral. She's that loyal to (and in love with) him.
- Playing with Fire: Sarah also has a Rage Rune, in addiction to her Flowing Rune.
- Redemption Equals Death: She goes to Luc's side in the epilogue to be Together in Death with him, both out of one last expression of love, and to take responsibility for her crimes.
- Rescue Romance: Her relationship with Luc.
- Squishy Wizard: A Chizen star, no less.
- Subordinate Excuse: An odd case. She's not Just Following Orders; her loyalty to Luc is coupled with a love for him that is so strong that it overrides her conscience.
- Summon Magic: She can summon many creatures from the World of Emptiness (like squeletors and dragons) to serve as their army.
- Together in Death: With Luc.
- Undying Loyalty: To Luc. She will do anything for him. Unfortunately for the Karaya Clan, we do mean anything.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: In Luc's storyline, she stands up to Yuber, basically saying she'll put him down herself if he even thinks about turning on Luc. Thankfully, Luc was able to calm them both down.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Branded a witch as a little girl for her freakishly powerful magic and sheer intellect, only to be rescued by Leknaat's disciple. As her power grew, so too did her love for Luc. In time, she became capable of summoning and controlling entire armies of illusions and demons, which she used to commit acts that can only be described as war crimes, all because it was what her savior, and the man she loved, desired. In the end, she joins him Together in Death, saying she would have done it all again, because Luc made her happy.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Caesar.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Cain and Abel: He is the Cain to his brother, Caesar.
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Genius: He is The Strategist for the Destroyers.
- Evil Redhead
- It Runs in the Family: He is a renowed strategist, like any other member of the Silverberg family.
- Karma Houdini: Plays a key role in orchestrating the whole war, in which many thousands die, and gets everything he wants out of it while suffering no negative consequences whatsoever.
- Subverted in the manga adaptation, where instead his reputation is ruined and he has to go into hiding under an assumed name. In this adaptation, Caesar concludes that Albert's intention all along was to minimize the casualties of Luc's scheme, and Albert confirms this.
- Light Is Not Good: Wears a white Badass Longcoat and is one of the villains.
- Manipulative Bastard: He had no loyalty whatsoever to Luc. In fact, he just wanted to take part in the war to make a name for himself.
- Non-Action Guy: Even on Luc's chapter, he is a Support Party Member.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Teen Genius