The Zexen Confederacy
open/close all folders
The Zexen Knights
- Combination Attack: They have two Knight attacks:
- "Knight A" is performed by Borus and Percival;
- "Knight B" is performed by Chris and more two knights mounted on horses.
- Gratuitous German: Chris, Borus, Percival and Leo's weapons have German names.
- Knight in Shining Armor: How they are seen in Zexen. Chris isn't as optimistic as most but she tries.
- Power-Up Mount: They mount horses during certain events. Gameplay-wise it don't affect the battles but it allows Chris to cross plains and forests faster.
- Downplayed with Salome, who mount a horse during cut-scenes but is always on foot during battles.
- Battle Ballgown: Her suit of armor.
- Big Fancy House: Lightfellow is a well to do family after all.
- Brought Down to Normal: Sarah, disguised as Yumi, uses a Wounded Gazelle Gambit to lure her away from Brass Castle and steal her True Rune. Chris recovers it in the final dungeon.
- The Captain: Of the Zexen Knights, with the power and respect to back it up.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Staring off she's as rigid and cold as her armor, but mellows a bit by the end game.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Cecile, Ayame and Yun are all quite fond of her.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Chris is one of the three protagonists and wields a sword.
- Iron Lady: When in command of the Zexen Knights she is confident and assertive, and her all male unit are quick to fall in line and follow orders. Before the Zexen Council however, she is more Silk Hiding Steel in that she has to bow and obey and subvert them subtly, like pretending not to notice Budehuc Castle going into bussiness for itself.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: Chris inherits her position from her dead superior and feels uncomfortable in it but carries it out for the good of Zexen's people.
- Lady of War: Watch how easily she handles Hugo in chapter 1 and say she isn't.
- The Leader: Leads the Zexen Knights.
- Letting Her Hair Down: The tail end of Chapter 2 through the beginning of Chapter 4, only, sadly.
- Legacy Character: Canonically, she will inherit the True Water Rune from her father Jimba. But if the player makes her the True Fire Rune successor, Hugo will inherit the TWR. But Chris can never inherit the True Lightning Rune.
- Lightning Bruiser: Subverted. Chris is strong and has great offensive skills, like "Accuracy", "Damage", "Heavy Damage" and "Parry" (the latter two can be upgraded to Rank A), and she is very durable and can equip heavy armor and learn "Repel" and "Armor Protect", but her speed is average.
- Lonely Rich Kid: No siblings and no friends, only co-workers.
- Magic Knight: Of The Paladin variety if she inherits the True Water Rune. She's a bad mage otherwise. Unless you grind, there's a good chance she'll never even get a 4th-level spell slot.
- Military Brat: Her dad was a knight before her.
- Murder by Mistake: Chris' killing of Lulu was for the most part, purely by reflex in response to a threat.
- The Ojou: Lightfellow is a high up family, but her unit treats her like royalty.
- Parental Abandonment: Her dad disappeared and her mom isn't around (implied to have died early in Chris's childhood). By the end of the game, she finds her father only to lose him again shortly thereafter.)
- Purple Eyes: Her eyes are purple.
- Red Baron: The Silver Maiden, The White Hero of Zexen.
- The Smurfette Principle: In the Zexen knights there are no females but her.
- Statuesque Stunner; Chris is 172cm tall.
- Super Gullible: Sometimes, she took things so seriously she didn't realize she was being played like a fool, like believing Estella's bizarre tales (when young Viki can read in instant what a sham it is in the first glance).Chris: I'm such an idiot...
- White Stallion: She is the leader of the Zexen Knights and the only one who rides a white horse.
- Tomboyish Name: "Chris" is more commonly (though not exclusively) a boy's name.
- You Are in Command Now: Happens to her very early in the game as two knights above her in the chain of command are Killed Offscreen, leaving her as the leader of the Knights of Zeken.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: During the Karayan village assault, as Luc epilogue reveals.
- Foil: To Percival. Borus is always serious, Hot-Blooded and duty-driven, while Percival is more friendly, laid back and a womanizer. They are also associated with opposing elements: Borus has a fire-based Sword of Rage Rune, and Percival a Water Rune.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Anime Hair: Has a spiky hair.
- Chick Magnet: Attracts attention from a lot of nameless women in the game of all ages, and is also the only one to boldly flirt with Chris.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dutiful Son
- Embarrassing Nickname: His mother calls him "Percy" in front of Chris, much to his chagrin. His surname is perhaps even more embarrassing as it literally means "young woman" or "Miss" in German.
- Foil: To the serious and more aggressive Borus.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Making a Splash: Joins with the Water Rune equiped.
- Nice Guy: He is one of the nicest knights.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Badass Bookworm
- Guile Hero: Just look at how he takes down the entire Zexen Council in the manga. With little more than some rumors and some falsified evidence that's good enough to get the traitorous members to accidentally incriminate themselves...and does so in a way that he can truthfully claim to have been following the Council's own orders to the letter.
- Magic Knight: Is a knight and a specialist in spells.
- Magic Staff: Wields the Holy Mace.
- Making a Splash: Salome comes with a Water Rune attached.
- Purple Is Powerful: His blazer.
- Scarf Of Ass Kicking
- The Smart Guy: Salome is The Strategist of the team and command the knights. He is also one of the first to discover the conspiracy behind the war and of Harmonia plans of invasion.
- Supporting Leader: Commands the Zexen Knights.
- Team Dad
- Archer Archetype: Roland is skilled in archery, is The Stoic and very analytical.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has purple eyes and a matching purple hair.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Implied Love Interest: To Nei.
- Purple Is Powerful: His hair color.
- The Quiet One
- Rain of Arrows: Has a Great Hawk Rune, which damages every enemy unit.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- Token Non-Human: He is an elf working for the Zexen Knights. His suggestion letter to Hugo and Geddoe reveals that he even forgets about this.
- An Axe to Grind: Wields an axe.
- Badass Mustache
- The Big Guy: The physically imposing member of the team.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Combination Attack: In addiction to the knights attack listed above, Leo can perform the "Han" attack with either Mua or Wan Fu.
- Failure Knight: Not being able to protect the previous Captain is his greatest failure.
- Hot-Blooded: Not as much as Borus, but he is eager to join a fight.
- Mighty Glacier: One of the slowest party members, but makes up for it with his high attack power, defense, and HP growth.
- Red Baron: The "Iron Knight".
See Suikoden III Clans.
Galahad, Pelize, Lanchet and Myriam
- Ascended Extra: Downplayed with Galahad. He was never seen during the game, being only mentioned during Chris Prologue, but the manga gives him a few scenes during Chris flashbacks.
- The Captain: Galahad was the former captain of the Zexen Knights, being succeeded by Chris after his death.
- Number Two: Vice-Captain Pelize, to Galahad.
- Parental Substitute: In the manga, Galahad acts as a father-like figure to Chris.
- Posthumous Character:
- Captain Galahad and Vice-Captain Pelize were killed by the Grassland clans sometime before the events of the game.
- Lanchet and Myriam died when the Lizard Clan broke the peace treaty, thinking that their leader had been assassinated by the knights, and ambushed them.
- The Unseen: They are never seen during the game, being only mentioned by other characters. Galahad subverts this in the manga, as he appears during flashbacks.
Zexen citizensFor Augustine and Mio see Suikoden III Foreigners.
Belle and Gadget Z
- Action Girl: Belle. Also a Cute Bruiser.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Belle has a crush on Hugo, who is Oblivious to Love.
- Badass Adorable / Badass Bookworm: Belle.
- Drop the Hammer: Belles weapon of choice.
- Gadgeteer Genius / Teen Genius: Belle, being the inventor of Gadget Z counts. Her recruitment quest is all about getting items for her to fix Gadget Z.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Legacy Character: Of Meg and Gadget. Interesting, Meg is also implied to be Belle's Missing Mom.
- Plucky Girl
- Robot Buddy: Gadget is this to Belle.
- Transforming Mecha: Gadget Z can transform during his Unite attack.
- Cute Bruiser: Is very strong despite being a little girl. Especially if you recruit her in Thomas chapter 1; she joins at level 32 which, unless you'll been grinding, is about ten levels above Thomas and his party.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Some of her puppet Branky's comments are definitely less than savoury.
- Demonic Dummy: "Branky". She also has a "Devil's Doll Rune", which causes her puppet to breth fire at her enemies.
- Puppet Master
- Ventriloquism: Her speciality.
- Zettai Ryouiki
- Identical Stranger: He isn't Suikoden II's Gordon, despite being very alike and having the a similar job.
Vinay del Zexay
Saint Loa Knights
- Action Girl
- Bare Your Midriff
- Cool Big Sis
- Glamorous Wartime Singer
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Implied Love Interest: To Roland.
- Mama Bear: To Shabon. Should Shabon fall in battle, Nei will go berserk.
- Musical Assassin
- Our Elves Are Different
- Statuesque Stunner
- Improbable Weapon User
- Musical Assassin
- Nice Hat
- Papa Wolf: To Shabon. Should Shabon fall in battle, he'll go berserk.
- The One Guy: To Nei and Shabon.
- The Quiet One
- The Stoic
- Visible Silence
- No Hero Discount: He opens a armor shop in your castle and offers the same price as other shops do.
- Furo Scene: Once recruited, he builds a bath in the ship at Budehuc Castle.