Odin AKA Ryūto Asamiya , Flow
The leader of Ragnarok.
- Big Bad: In the anime he's the last guy Kenichi fights. He's also the toughest, and it takes several episodes for Kenichi to finally defeat him.
- Big Bad Friend: Was one of Kenichi's childhood friends.
- Black Eyes of Evil: After being revealed to be a part of Yami.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: He was one of Kenichi's Childhood Friends.
- Final Boss: He becomes the last enemy Kenichi fights at the end of the anime, since it stoped way before the manga reached its conclusion.
- The Glasses Come Off: He is nearsighted, but once he has seen an opponent's style and rhythm, he can predict their moves and attack with a punch that never misses.
- Handicapped Badass: He's no less dangerous a fighter while in a wheelchair, managing to trap Freya's arms in its wheels.
- Heroic BSoD: Rimi's apparent death caused him to fall into a Berserker Rage, but afterwards he refuses to leave Rimi's body even when a brick wall is about to fall on him
- Heroic RRoD: The Roar-as-One technique left him confined to a wheel chair, turned his hair white, and gave him one black-sclera'd eye.
- Kung-Fu Clairvoyance: Courtesy of the Inner Eye, he can predict his opponent's moves, hence his nickname of one-eyed Odin.
- Locked into Strangeness: His hair turned white after he used Roar-As-One.
- Prematurely Grey-Haired: As a side effect of using Roar-As-One, Ryūto's hair turned white.
- Shadow Archetype: Kenichi could have easily turned into Ryuto if he met the wrong master.
- Shout-Out: Ryuto has become like his mythological namesake. He has become crippled and has aged quite a bit after using his Dangerous Forbidden Technique, which mirrors Odin hanging himself upside down on the World Tree.
- The Stoic: After his last fight with Kenichi, he becomes even less expressive.
- Throwing Off the Disability: He can fight at full force using Sei and Dou for 30 seconds.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Used to be even nicer than Kenichi. Then martial arts turned him cold, ruthless, and power hungry.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Has white hair because he risked using a crazy dangerous technique to attempt killing his childhood friend out of petty spite. Karma, that is.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: The first to demonstrate the Roar-as-One technique, using explosive ki and contained ki together.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has purple hair. Until he used Roar-As-One.
Berserker AKA Shougo Kitsukawa
The Second Fist of Ragnarok. He rarely speaks and has a calm disposition. Berserker never studied martial arts; he simply has a natural talent for fighting. He is said to be the most fearsome fighter in Ragnarok. However, he is afraid to fight Odin, believing that the latter is much stronger than he is.
- The Berserker: Duh. Kinda the guys codename. What did you expect?
- Blood Knight: Becomes more so the longer he fights because he isn't used to people lasting very long against him. Only a real challenge gets him going.
- Born Lucky: Able to keep up and surpass other fighters just on instinct alone, with no formal training.
- He's also just plain lucky, winning a card game after the deck was stacked against him.
- Bubblegum Popping: Loves his bubblegum so much that he is often introduced bubblegum first.
- The Gift: So naturally talented at fighting that he rose to the second in command of Ragnarok without ever having had training, relying solely on street fighting tactics.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: No formal training. No need for formal training.
- Hot-Blooded: Whenever he gets the thrill of a good fight he becomes excited and very violent.
- The Stoic: Most of the time, Berserker is ironically stone-faced, but whenever he gets actually excited about a battle, he shows why he has the code-name.
- Took a Level in Badass: He was already pretty badass, but now he has been confirmed as one of Ogata's disciples. Training from Hell combined with The Gift...
- Unskilled, but Strong: Not only is he super strong, but his natural talent for fighting far exceeds everyone else's so much that he does not need to be trained in techniques. This is emphasized when he joins YOMI, as his master works to have him turn his 'unskilled' methods into his own self-created fighting style.
- Unstoppable Rage: Practically his fighting style, and thus the codename. The moment before he is defeated in the Ragnarok Arc, he is using his broken, snapped-in-the-wrong-way arm to try and land a blow on Hermit. His animalistic rage is also dubbed Berserker Mode.
- Villainous Rescue: During the amusement park arc, saves Ryuuto and Rimi from a falling brick wall that was on fire by punching it.
Freya AKA Kaname Kugatachi
The Third Fist of Ragnarok and a user of Kugatachi Style jōjutsu. She joined Ragnarok in order to learn techniques from Ogata.
- Action Girl: As the Third Fist, she has impressive combat skill with a bo staff and other weapons.
- Alliterative Name: Kaname Kugatachi.
- Amazonian Beauty: The tallest, oldest, and most mature girl of the Shinpaku Alliance. And she's plenty comparable to Miu and Renka in other areas too, in addition to being the most exotic looking.
- Big Sister Mentor: To Kisara. She was both a mentor and a sister figure to her when she first joined Ragnarok.
- Boyish Short Hair: A hardcore Action Girl with short hair.
- Cool Big Sis: The Valkryie sees her as a leader and role model to the point that they emulate her.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: She freaks out whenever she sees a mouse.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins the Shinpaku Alliance shortly after her defeat.
- Heroic Build: Very lean and toned from her training, but she doesn't fit the "heroic" aspect until her HeelFace Turn.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Turns out she's not entirely defenseless if she doesn't have a weapon—she can simply apply weapon techniques to bare-hand fighting as needed.
- Raised by Grandparents: She lives with her granddad, who is senile. Or so she thinks, as he's a 90+ year old, ass-kicking staff master.
- Scars Are Forever: Has one on her cheek, but it seems to have healed over time. For the most part.
- Simple Staff: Which she can use to casually poke holes in stone. Depending on how she wields it, it can also imitate other weapons.
- The Stoic: Rarely shows emotion.
Loki AKA Kyoichi Takame
The Fourth Fist of Ragnarok. He uses a Karate style that involves using all the joints in the arms. Besides being a powerful fighter, he is also quite intelligent, using information about his opponents to his advantage.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He had plans to create a new Ragnarok with him and Berserker as the leaders. He even builds a team that will comprise the new Eight Fists, himself included. His plans are shot to hell when Berserker effortlessly beats him and his team.
- Evil Genius: Seems to consider himself one and his position as the strategist suggests this, but he's not nearly as good as he thinks.
- Goggles Do Nothing: He uses his goggles like a mask instead of like....goggles.
- Informed Ability: He spends more time scheming and manipulating than living up to his title as the fourth fist.
- Kick the Dog: Kidnapping Kenichi's little sister is a low blow even by Ragnarok's standards
- HeelFace Turn: Shown to be gathering information for Niijima much later.
- The Starscream: He plans to overthrow Odin and create a new Ragnarok. In the end, though, he had about as much success as this trope's namesake. Notably, he didn't see himself as leader, but rather Berserker.
Siegfried AKA Hibiki Kugenin
The Fifth Fist of Ragnarok. Niijima described him as a zombie when reporting information to Kenichi, as he had a special ability he called the 'Round Technique', or 'Canon', and it allowed him to take a hit and keep on fighting.
- Anti-Villain: Was on the side of the villains, but he never did any harm to anyone.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He travelled to Tibet to find a master, and he did—in the form of a prayer wheel.
- Cloudcuckoolander: His logic is not like our Earth logic.
- Counter Attack: His entire self created style is based around counters. Because he can read the rhythm of his opponent's attacks, Siegfried pulls back at the last second, minimizing the damage to negligible levels, and either falls down to get back up, giving the illusion he is immortal, or rolls with the attack to use the force of the opponent to hit them even harder.
- Determinator: Rivals main characters with this! Sieg, with broken ribs tried to swim across a river to help the Shinpaku in a battle. He also searched for three days straight with no sleep to find Despair Island and join the fight.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins the Shinpaku Alliance shortly after his defeat.
- Hot-Blooded: He gets incredibly fired up about serving his "Demon Lord".
- Implacable Man: His fighting style makes him seem like a zombie who cannot be harmed.
- The Lancer: To Niijima. He sees himself as The Dragon, instead, in keeping with Niijima's Card-Carrying Villain status.
- Leitmotif: The anime gives him Night on Bald Mountain and Dies Irae for leitmotifs, with his "La-La-La" in sync with the music. A lot of other classical music plays in his scenes, as well.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: At first you could think that he's plain crazy. After a second thought... he's still crazy. But in combat, he's one of the most powerful members of Shinpaku Alliance. Even the Ryōzanpaku Masters compliment his abilities and skill in his signature technique.
- Musical Assassin: Though not necessarily one, he will kick your ass while singing and composing.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Not concussive, but definitely powerful enough to knock you out at point-blank and destroy eardrums, with his head facing backwards.
- Nice Hat: Admit it, you wouldn't mind wearing a hat that.
- No One Could Survive That!: Siegfried's style of fighting is to literally roll with the punches; in his fights he seems to always absorb one's finishing moves with ease and he even uses these skills to survive detaching his parachute at least 5 stories off the ground by falling through tree branches and landing face-first. Even when he can't avoid the impact, he gets up when he really should not.
- Took a Level in Badass: By spinning around in circles for 40 days non-stop.
- Whole Costume Reference: His outfit resembles those of Red Mages in Final Fantasy.
Hermit AKA Natsu Tanimoto
The Sixth Fist of Ragnarok. He learned martial arts from Sougetsu Ma, Kensei's older brother. He is the president of the drama club at Kenichi's school.
- Afraid of Doctors: Not exactly fear, but he has a strong distaste for doctors because of his past experience with a female doctor who was responsible for destroying his family.
- Always Someone Better: While under Sougetsu Ma's brand of training, Hermit always fights someone at least slightly better than him in all aspects. He realizes that this is how Kenichi has grown so much as martial artist, since virtually all of Kenichi's fights have been with superior opponents. It doesn't stop either of them from winning.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Notably averted. Even though Kenichi was weaker when they first fought, every attack Hermit threw was fully intended to destroy his opponent and he never lets up until it's over. Although he is definitely still arrogant.
- Badass Long Robe: His fighting uniform resembles that of a boxer's.
- Bishōnen: Honoka even calls him the "idol-looking guy".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He's this when first introduced, pretending to be a kind and soft spoken student when he's really a deceiving Jerkass. He later mellows out and becomes a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Broken Ace: At school, Tanimoto is the "perfect student"; smart, popular and kind to everyone. However, it's soon revealed this is a facade he created to manipulate others.
- Club President: The president of the drama club.
- The Comically Serious: His low-key frustration at Honoka's acts is the comedy selling point.
- Cynicism Catalyst: The death of his sister inspired him to get stronger however he could, becoming quite violent in the process.
- Determinator: The last words his little sister left him were "don't lose". This is why he will continue to fight even if he is knocked unconscious.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Back when he was still a member of Ragnarok, he refused to believe that Kenichi's sense of justice was anything other than a facade.
- Freudian Excuse: In his past, his father married a doctor who promised to tend to his sister's sickness. After his new step-mother murdered his father, Natsu discovered that the woman had never bothered to tend to the little girl. Sprouting a seed for distrust in the boy, Natsu came to believe power and lies are everything in the world and everyone must be wearing a mask to deceive others.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: There was a time that he was in both the Shinpaku Alliance and YOMI. Justified, because his master is in Yami.
- Impoverished Patrician: He lost most of his inherited fortune through scams from corrupt workers. He still lives in a Big Fancy House, but he has no servants to take care of the domestic chores and has to live among garbage.
- Improbable Age: Deconstructed. After his father died, Tanimoto was forced to take over his company when he was still a child. As expected, Tanimoto was not able to manage any it and the corrupt workers who worked under him took advantage of this, taking away a vast amount of his fortune and nearly killing him.
- In the Hood: His fighting uniform includes a dark hood which, combined with his advocacy of The Power of Hate makes him look kind of like a a sith lord.
- Master Actor: He has nearly flawless acting skills. His entire reason for joining the drama club was to refine this ability.
- Minor Living Alone: Deconstructed. Tanimoto lives alone because he lost his adoptive father and his little sister at a young age. When Honoka goes to his house, she finds him living in filth and squalor and apparently depending on convenience store food to feed himself.
- Noble Demon: Much like his Master, he does whatever he wants. Some of those things are "brutally beat down my rival" and other things are "rescue my surrogate little sister".
- Perpetual Frowner: When he drops the "perfect guy" act, he rarely smiles. The only times he genuinely smiles is when he's with Honoka.
- The Power of Hate: In his own words, "Hate makes you stronger".
- Pet the Dog: His attitude towards Kenichi's little sister, who reminds him of his own sister. The first such petting would be bandaging her leg and the second was eating the...less-than-appealing-looking meal she made in thanks.
- School Idol: Considered to be the school's "prince", popular with both teachers and students.
- Slave to PR: He often must restrain himself from smacking Kenichi because he has to maintain his "perfectly nice guy" public image.
- Stepford Smiler: He smiles sweetly at school as part of his "perfect student" act. His real self is a Perpetual Frowner.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Becomes nicer after his battle with Kenichi, though Honoka has more to do with this then anything else.
- Training from Hell: He and Kenichi have this in common. He even notes that his master seemed to enjoy bullying him during his training. A flashback shows Natsu being forced to climb across monkey bars, by his wrists, with weights holding him down over bamboo spears! Sougetsu even makes Natsu fight against opponents that he knows are slightly superior to his disciple, so that when he wins his improvement shows more quickly.
- For Kenichi and he even does the Luminescent Blush thing.
- He's also this for Honoka as part of his Big Brother Instinct. He tells her to stop hanging around his house so she wouldn't be targeted again but he makes it sound like he simply doesn't like her. He also claims that he didn't save her because he cares about her but rather so that Kenichi wouldn't be distracted anymore.
- Wild Card: He doesn't consider himself on anyone's side. He is merely doing what it takes to gain more skill as a martial artist.
Thor AKA Yūma Chiaki
The Seventh Fist of Ragnarok. He joined Ragnarok in order to pursue his dream of making his combat-sumo style mainstream.
- Acrofatic: Not necessarily fat, but he fits the bill, being unexpectedly nimble.
- Anti-Villain: He was never a bad guy and only worked with Ragnarok to further promote his dream.
- Berserk Button: Call him fat, I dare you.
- Boisterous Bruiser: "FOR ALL THE BIG-MEN OF THE WORLD!!!"
- Defeat Means Friendship: Pulled a HeelFace Turn after Kenichi defeated him.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins the Shinpaku Alliance shortly after his defeat.
- I Gave My Word: He considers his promises just as important as his pride as a sumo fighter.
- Lightning Bruiser: Much faster than he appears, hits incredibly hard and can take some damage. And then there's his nick/codename...
Valkyrie AKA: Kisara Nanjō
The most recent member of Ragnarok to be made a Fist, transforming what had been the "Seven Fists" to the "Eight Fists". She is also noted to rely on growing during tough battles to win, and her style revolves around extremely acrobatic Taekwondo techniques, which she later combines with cat-like movements to make them even more effective.
- A-Cup Angst: Her small breasts are a Berserk Button for her and the reason why she flies into a frenzy to fight Miu having never even seen her before.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair and eyes are brown in the manga, while the anime gave her red hair and green eyes. This is later corrected in the OVAs.
- Animal Eyes: Cat-like eyes to fit her motif.
- Animal Motifs: After her HeelFace Turn she has a tendency to lapse into cat-like mannerisms and often has a Cat Smile and cat pupils. She even has a catlike variation of Tae Kwon Do called Nya Kwan Do.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Part of how she is able to keep up with the other fighters despite not having a Master.
- Berserk Button: While she is a Fiery Redhead fighter, there are a few things that set her off.
- The first is mocking her chest size, in which case she will challenge you to a duel.
- The second as is typical for a Kindhearted Cat Lover is harming cats. In that case, she will beat the crap out of you with her acrobatic skills.
- Third is refusing to fight her because she's a girl. She won't bother with that excuse.
- Boyish Short Hair: One of the most tomboyish characters around and has the short hair to show it.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Ukita, funnily enough, because despite him only showing interest in her, he attracts other girls and this irritates her.
- Commonality Connection: She doesn't get along with Miu at first (mainly because of Miu's huge breasts), but they start to become friends when they find out both love cats.
- Cuteness Proximity: She losses her tough-and-aloof image when she sees a cat because she feels compelled to cuddle them.
- Extremity Extremist: Justified, as she practices Tae Kwon Do, a martial art focused on kicking, using arms for defense and preventing opponents from getting too close.
- FaceHeel Turn: In the backstory, she was a capable fighter. Then, she joined Ragnarok because the other fighter told her that he let her win because she's a girl.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her one-legged jeans.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason she joined Ragnarok and acts like a jerk is because the guy she defeated fair-and-square in an official tournament said that he let her win because she's a girl. She overheard him making this bogus excuse to another guy to save face. This enraged her so much she sought out a situation where no one would dare hold back against her; gang street fights.
- Fiery Redhead: She has red hair and a fiery temper appropriately enough.
- HeelFace Turn: She eventually turns on Ragnarok and sides with the heroes.
- Kick Chick: Utilizes Tae Kwon Do, a kicking based martial art.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She likes petting cats and has a lot of inner, deep, sweetness to her.
- Pet the Dog: Feeding a homeless kitten in an alley. This is what changes Kenichi and Miu's opinions of her.
- Power Copying: Despite not having a master, she is able to achieve new levels of badass by copying first Miu's movements, then a cat's. Somehow fitting, as copying the movements of animals is how many martial arts came to be—Tae Kwon Do is said to have been based on the movements of a tiger.
- She's Got Legs: Her fighting style is based on kicks. Not to mention all of the fanservicey shots of Kisara focus primarily on her legs and prominent rear.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She was a bright and Nice Girl before the Freudian Excuse event happened.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's a tomboyish and violent girl who adores cats.
- Tsundere: She acts indifferent to Ukita despite harboring deep affection for him.