Borderlands is a series of Space Western Hero Shooters with RPG Elements (or Action RPGs with FPS elements) for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows, and OS X developed by Gearbox Software - creators of the Brothers in Arms series and the three expansion packs for the original Half-Life.
Each game follows a party of adventurers who arrive on the desert planet of Pandora in search of an alien vault said to contain vast stores of untold wealth, power and alien technology. The only problem is no one seems to know where these Vaults are, and finding them won't be easy Pandora is a backwater world where no one wants to live, filled with mutated monsters and violent convicts left over from a Mega-Corp's previous mining operations. Aided by an extremely complex Randomly Generated Loot system that creates every weapon, shield and accessory you find, resulting in about Eleventy Zillion combinations, and some of the funniest and most irreverent writing in the history of video games, the player sets out to find the Vault and become a legend.
Works in the series include:
- Borderlands (2010)
- Borderlands 2 (2012)
- Borderlands Legends (2012), a Real-Time Strategy game for iOS devices.
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (2014), a villain-based Interquel
- Tales from the Borderlands (2014-2015), an episodic Adventure Game that follows the ending of Borderlands 2 developed by Telltale Games.
- Borderlands 3 (2019): a tech demo was shown at the 2017 Game Developers Conference. On March 27th 2019, a teaser trailer went up on YouTube, and a gameplay trailer was shown at the Gearbox panel at PAX East the next day. Most recently, the announcement trailer revealed the release date: September 13, 2019.
- Borderlands: Origins (2012-2013)
- Borderlands: Fall of Fyrestone (2014)
- Borderlands: Tannis & The Vault (2014-2015)
- Borderlands: The Fallen (2011)
- Borderlands: Unconquered (2012)
- Borderlands: Gunsight (2013)
"Later, Vault Hunter!"