Magical Girls (Madoka Kaname, Homura Akemi, Sayaka Miki) | Kyubey and the Witches | Supporting Characters | The Movie Rebellion | Kazumi Magica (Magical Girls | Others) | Oriko Magica | Suzune Magica | Tart Magica | Portable | Magia Record | Concept Movie Trailer | Wraith Arc
Character page for Puella Magi Suzune Magica and all tropes associated with them.
Beware of unmarked spoilers!
The main character, Suzune is a middle-school student, newspaper carrier, and magical girl assassin. Her smiles when greeting people hide her more stoic and ruthless side. She possesses fire-elemental magic, among other abilities. Her wish was to become a magical girl like her mentor, Tsubaki.
- All There in the Manual: Her wish was heavily implied in the manga but never outright stated; the wording comes from a tweet by GAN.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Subverted; she comes very close, but escapes via an alternative option.
- Anti-Villain: Unscrupulous Hero variant. See Well-Intentioned Extremist.
- Armor-Piercing Question: When she asks if Haruka ever felt enough hatred to kill someone.
- Bare Your Midriff: She doesn't wear much under the jacket of her magical girl uniform.
- BFS: Her weapon of choice.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Directed to Kagari to try and stop her mental tormenting; it doesn't work.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The real reason she's driven to kill other magical girls: Kagari altered her memories, erasing certain ones and planting false ones as a way of brainwashing Suzune into doing what she does now.
- Burn the Witch!: The reason she and Tsubaki have fire powers.
- Cannibalism Superpower: She doesn't eat them, but she can gain new abilities after she kills a witch. She gets Tsubaki's fire powers and Kagari's memory-altering powers this way.
- Catapult Nightmare: Has one in volume 2 following a nightmare about killing Tsubaki.
- Cynicism Catalyst: The death of her parents was mentioned to be this, by Tsubaki. Though Suzune did recover, enough to be able to laugh and smile again, the death of Tsubaki herself only served to reverse it and break her even further. Kagari's memory-altering didn't do much to change that; all she did was use Tsubaki's death as a device to turn Suzune into an assassin.
- The Dead Have Names: Always asks for the names of her victims before killing them, even if they refuse to give her their name. She then writes down their names on paper that she puts in her ponytail pendant, a habit she picked up from her mentor Tsubaki.
- Decoy Protagonist: Set up as the villain of the story, as well as the protagonist. It's really Kagari Hinata for the villain status and Matsuri Hinata for the protagonist status.
- Despair Event Horizon: Three: one after the death of her parents (never seen), one after the death of Tsubaki, and one after Kagari reveals she altered Suzune's memories.
- Driven to Suicide: Crushes her soul gem in her hand after thanking Matsuri.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: While being cradled in Matsuri's arms.
- Expy: She's very similar to Zero from Drakengard 3. Both have a white color motif and wild giant swords, have apathetic attitudes to most things, go on killing sprees with little regard to others and have serious family issues.
- Fake Memories: It turns out that her memory of inheriting Tsubaki's pendant and vowing to stop the births of more witches was a fake planted by Kagari to make her into a magical girl assassin.
- Famous Last Words: "Thank you... my friend."
- Flash Step/Speed Echoes: Seen in her first battle with Arisa.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Matsuri, due to Kagari's memory-altering.
- Full-Name Basis: Refers to the other characters by their full names.
- Go Out with a Smile: Smiles and thanks Matsuri as she crushes her soul gem in her palm.
- Honor Before Reason: Rather polite and lenient, despite her status as an assassin. Notably, she lets Arisa and Matsuri off the hook after killing Haruka's witch, and claims there's no reason to kill them immediately because they know the awful truth of magical girls. She also allows Arisa to talk briefly to Haruka, despite the fact that she's trying to kill Haruka at the time.
- Hunter of Monsters: Of magical girls as well as witches, also double as a Hunter of His Own Kind due to Suzune herself being a magical girl.
- I Did What I Had to Do: How she sees her role. She's still not entirely sure if it's the right thing.
- Important Hair Accessory: A bell-and-pouch pendant which she wears as her hair tie, that she inherited from Tsubaki. She puts folded pieces of paper with the names of the girls she kills inside the pouch.
- Knight of Cerebus: The story becomes more serious in tone when she steps in. This wavers a little in volume 1, but fully sets in after she kills Chisato.
- Last Request: Initially, it's that Matsuri completely forgets about her and live on, threatening to use the memory-altering powers she got from Kagari to ensure it. She later changes her mind (out of both the receiver's refusal and her impending death) and instead asks her to remember her instead of forget her.
- Lightning Bruiser: Thanks to her fire-elemental powers and the massive damage that her big sword can do.
- Meaningful Name
- "Suzune" is written with the kanji for "bell sound".
- "Amano" is written with the kanji for "heavenly"; Suzune's name in full means "heavenly bell sound", though the event in which you actually hear the sound is far from a heavenly one.
- Meido: Dressed as one in an omake.
- Mind Rape: On the receiving end of this when Kagari reveals her memories were altered and then torments her over killing Tsubaki, the Hoozuki magical girls, and her other victims.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Her answer to the magical girl system.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Breaks down over her assassination of other magical girls when Kagari reveals that she practically brainwashed Suzune into becoming an assassin. This leads to Suzune almost becoming a witch (which was only barely stopped because of Matsuri's interference) and later committing suicide.
- Mystical White Hair: Though she's not quite White Hair, Black Heart.
- New Transfer Student: Downplayed; she transfered about a month ago. Arisa still lampshades it.
- One-Hit Kill: To Kanami, Chisato, and an illusion of Kagari.
- Parental Abandonment: She lives by herself at a newspaper delivery office. Her parents were killed by a witch, which led to her being taken in by Tsubaki. And then Tsubaki became a witch.
- Playing with Fire: One of her powers, absorbed from Tsubaki's witch. Interestingly enough, Suzune's theme colours were taken from fire (red) and ash (grey), according to a tweet by GAN.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A fitting eye colour for a magical girl assassin.
- Serial Killer: She's described as one due to the nature of her crimes (only attacking teenage girls), which is what spawned the "Ripper" urban legend.
- Stepford Smiler: She only smiles when interacting with other people, as a way to facade her real personality.
- The Stoic: Her default expression.
- Tragic Keepsake: The bell-and-pouch pendant she wears in her ponytail, which she inherited from Tsubaki.
- Villainous Breakdown: See My God, What Have I Done? above.
- Villain Protagonist: She's the title character as well as the character the story follows most of the time, though the situation is a little complicated, because of Arisa and the Decoy Protagonist situation.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She's just trying to stop witches from being born... in the most direct way possible. This even includes her own: she puts off transforming into a witch for as long as she possibly can, and at the very end, chooses to kill herself instead of become one.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Initially appears to be this, though her heart gets significantly less black over the course of the series. One of the last things she does is put Matsuri's welfare over her own and cleanse her fouled soul gem, knowing full well her own was heavily corrupted, but choosing to use it all on Matsuri, which is practically the opposite of how she used to go about things.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Her response when asked why she kills magical girls.
A rather hot-headed and carefree magical girl. Her wish was to become stronger, granting her superhuman speed and strength, and the ability to enhance them.
- Anti-Hero: Steadily becomes one over the course of volume 2, thanks to learning the awful truth and having witnessed Suzune kill her closest friend.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Averted. She doesn't regret her wish so much as she regrets being a magical girl after learning the awful truth.
- Decoy Protagonist: Set up as the main hero of the story; it's really Matsuri Hinata. Interestingly enough, Arisa was supposed to be the main character before GAN decided to use Suzune's POV instead, as revealed in a tweet.
- Delinquent: After becoming a magical girl, she became a bit of a problem student. She lightened up after meeting Chisato, but later reverts back after Chisato's death.
- Despair Event Horizon: Hits this upon learning the awful truth of the magical girl system.
- Disappeared Dad: No mention of made of her father, if she has any. Her only parent seen is her mother.
- The Dog Bites Back: After making her wish, she scares off one of her bullies by grabbing the bully's fist and crushing it.
- Disproportionate Retribution: And then proceeds to put them all in the hospital as revenge.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has pink hair and pink eyes.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Chisato's death hits her hard; Haruka's on top of that, especially since Arisa was partially responsible for how it came to be, even more so. Then she learns the awful truth of magical girls...
- Expository Hairstyle Change: After becoming a magical girl, she changes her hair style. The old one gave her a more demure and shy appearance, while her new one matches her personality change into a brash tomboy.
- Expy: A pretty obvious one of Asuka Langley Soryu (hair style and colour, general personality, backstory involving neglect, relationship with a blue-haired girl of a contrasting personality) and Kyoko Sakura (hair colour, rebellious personality, disregard for school rules, eating pocky, wearing hoodies).
- Fiery Redhead: Hot-headed, brash, and carefree, though not overly so, which fits with her having pink rather than red hair.
- Flash Step/Speed Echoes: Seems to be able to do this when after enhancing her magic to a certain level, though this might be because she's moving so fast.
- Friendless Background: She was bullied before becoming a magical girl, and afterwards she scared people away until she met Chisato.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: After being defeated by Chisato, she admits that she wanted this, and that her wish didn't give her what she wanted.
- Is This a Joke?: Her initial reaction to Chisato's death.
- It's Personal: Challenges Suzune to a duel to the death because she killed two of Arisa's closest friends.
- Jerkass: Becomes one after becoming a magical girl. After joining the Hohzuki magical girl team, she turns into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, but starts turning back into a jerkass after Chisato's death, and even more after Haruka's.
- Killed Off for Real: One-hit killed by Kagari to get her out of the way.
- In the Back: This results in Arisa's death, due to her soul gem being located on her back.
- Magic Skirt: The skirt of her magical girl outfit never exposes what's underneath.
- Meaningful Name: "Narumi" is written with the kanji for "changing/forming" and "see/look/view", possibly referring to how Arisa's perspectives change over the story.
- Out of Focus: Becomes this after her death, with her presence being relegated to a few mentions by other characters. Particularly jarring in that she was a very major and prominent character before this point.
- Power High: When she uses her magical girl strength to stand up to her bullies, she proclaims how awesome her power is while sweating.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Pink, anyway. Arisa is a clumsy fighter but her sheer strength and speed can make her a dangerous opponent, especially if she uses her magic to boost her abilities. Suzune learns this the hard way, and almost dies because of it.
- Red Oni: To Chisato's blue. Arisa is laid-back, impulsive, and rather carefree.
- Say My Name: SUZUNEEE AMANOOO!! in chapter 4.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her magical girl outfit exposes her upper back.
- Shrinking Violet: Before becoming a magical girl, she was a shy girl victimized by bullies.
- Sinister Scythe: Her Weapon of Choice.
- The Slacker: Even after joining the other magical girls, she still complains about doing nothing but study in school.
- Tomboy: After becoming a magical girl. She appears to do this as a part of her rebellious nature.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She is the tomboy to the girly girls of Haruka and Matsuri.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Decides to kill Suzune, both to stop her from killing more people, and as an act of revenge for being responsible for the deaths of Chisato and Haruka. Unfortunately for her, Kagari has no intention of letting anyone aside from herself kill Suzune and not before she's decided Suzune's suffered enough. When Arisa gets close, Kagari doesn't hesitate to stab her In the Back.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink hair.
One of Arisa's teammates, and her first friend. Her wish was to change her abusive father into the kind man he used to be, granting her the ability to cancel out magical abilities.
- Abusive Parents: Her father became a drunk and began abusing her mother after publishing companies started rejecting his picture books. When her mother died as a result of the abuse, her father then turned his abuse on Chisato, leading to her making her wish to change him back to how he was before.
- All There in the Manual: Her powers were revealed in a tweet by GAN: she has the power to cancel out magic abilities.
- Anti-Magic: Her ability to cancel out magical abilities.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her magical girl outfit exposes her belly button.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Chisato does feel terrible for making the wish she did. However, it never comes back to bite her, as she dies before that can happen.
- Blue Oni: To Arisa's red. Chisato is serious, studious, and lectures Arisa on the importance of studying.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Arisa, in the past; Arisa's confession led to Chisato inviting her to join the city's magical girl team.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Official art depicts it as varying shades of medium to dark blue to black.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed by Suzune during the team's night patrol.
- In the Back: Stabbed right through the back and her soul gem, which located on her chest.
- Girls with Guns: Wields pistols as her weapons; she has two on her belt, but she's only ever seen carrying one at a time.
- Meaningful Name: "Chisato" means either "a thousand miles" or "great distance", possibly referring to how she's first to die, meaning she is the most distant character from the story/audience.
- Morality Chain: Arisa returns to her truanting and bullying habits after Chisato dies.
- Not So Above It All: She's usually the serious one, but she does have her moments. Arisa teases her about this chapter 2 when she admits that she's spooked by the Ripper murders.
- Posthumous Character: She dies early on, but her character is developed through Arisa's flashbacks.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Her death serves as a major vehicle in the events of the story as well as several characters' development, mainly Arisa's.
- Too Many Belts: Her magical girl outfit has quite a few belts on it. They might be referencing her disciplinary theme.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: Her magical girl outfit has a swimsuit-like suit underneath her belts and vest; GAN has stated in a tweet that Chisato's design was partially based off a swimsuit.
- Wall of Text: Creates one when lecturing Arisa in chapter 1. She also expositions at length on her past and wish in one flashback.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Gets killed off very early in the story; we never see her in action on-screen because of this.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark blue. But see Hair Color Dissonance above.
The leader of the Hohzuki (Arisa, Chisato, and Matsuri's) team. She possesses charm magic as a result of her wish, which was to erase her older sister from existence.
- Always Someone Better: Haruka was always compared to her older sister, Kanata, and found lacking, leading to her developing a serious inferiority complex.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: And then Haruka became a witch, following her mind rape.
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon, which has...
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Her wish comes back to bite her badly. It helps that said wish was incredibly selfish to begin with.
- Charm Person: She uses her magic to force Suzune to fight her. She retains this ability even as a witch.
- Cleavage Window: Her magical girl outfit has one.
- Cool Big Sis/Team Mom: Outwardly acts as one to her team, though she later admits she was just being selfish and thinking only of herself all along.
- Despair Event Horizon: Following her encounter with the Mind Rape witch, and all the lovely changes that causes.
- Expy: A pretty obvious one of Mami. Both girls have yellow as their theme color, act as the Team Mom/Cool Big Sis and leader to the rest of the girls, regret their selfish wishes, are well-respected third-year seniors at school, have large chests which their magical girl outfits accentuate, nice hats, and tights. It doesn't seem to be intentional on GAN's part, given their saying they wanted to make a "blonde princess"-type character when creating Haruka and mentioning nothing of Mami as an inspiration, but it's still one hell of a coincidence.
- Eye Motifs
- Has an eye symbol on her hat, and the witch that mentally tortures her has an eye motif. The witch she turns into also has a massive, single eye (spoilers in link!) prominently featured.
- As with her charm magic, Haruka's distinct eye motif probably reflects her wish, which was for her sister to disappear so that people would finally notice her.
- Famous Last Words: "I'm sorry... I guess I was a failure after all."
- I Just Want to Be You: Her older sister Kanata was always better than her at everything, and Haruka wished for her to disappear so that people would notice her. She came to realize that she wanted to be everything her sister was, but imitating her didn't make her happy.
- Magic Skirt: The skirt of her magical girl outfit never exposes what's underneath.
- Meaningful Name: Many kanji that can be read as "Haruka" can also be read as "distant"; Haruka's name also includes one such kanji. This could refer to Haruka's distance (emotional or otherwise) from her family, and from her team because of her inner selfishness.
- Mind Rape: A witch forces her to relieve her worst memories.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: In both her school uniform and magical girl outfits.
- Student Council President: While she isnt the president herself, shes mentioned to be part of the student council.
- Theme Naming: One reading of "Haruka" is "distant", which matches with Kanata.
- The Unfavorite: As a child, she felt this way compared to her talented older sister.
The last member of the Hohzuki magical girl team. Her wish was to cure her blindness, giving her light-elemental magic and the ability to search for others' presences.
- All-Loving Hero: Even after Suzune kills Chisato, she comes to Suzune's room to pass along missed homework. But then Matsuri says that she will stop Suzune the next time she tries to kill someone. This even extends to her sister Kagari, who Matsuri wants to forgive even after it's revealed that she's done some absolutely terrible things.
- All There in the Manual: GAN designed Matsuri with a telephone motif in mind: her hair buns are the handsets, her braids the numbers, and the button on the stomach of her dress the dial.
- And the Adventure Continues: The last shot of the series is her heading out to fight witches whilst tying the bell-and-pouch pendant into her hair.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Averted. Matsuri doesn't regret her wish at all — as while her wish was selfish, said wish involved curing her blindness, which never causes harm to anyone, unlike some of her teammates wish.
- Blinded by the Light: Blinding light can be fired from her gauntlets.
- Blind Seer: Her searching power requires her to close her eyes.
- The Chick/The Heart: Wants everyone to get along and be friends, and often is the one to interfere with and settle disputes between her team members. She is also the most "heroic" and morally "pure" member of the main cast.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: In volume 3, after being put to sleep by Kagari, Matsuri dreams of past memories of meeting and becoming friends of Suzune — memories that Kagari had removed prior.
- Final Girl: By the end of the story, she's the only member of the main cast left standing.
- First-Name Basis: Consistently calls everyone by their first name, either with or without honorific; notably, she refers to Suzune with the "-chan" honorific, which is common between close teenage girl friends.
- Forced Sleep: Induced by Kagari to get her out of the way.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Suzune, as arranged by Kagari. Kagari also appears to have erased herself from Matsuri's memories as well.
- The Hero: The true hero of the story, as opposed to Arisa and Suzune; see the Decoy Protagonist situation. Matsuri's also the most morally "pure" of the three.
- Magic Skirt: The sundress of her magical girl outfit never exposes what's underneath.
- Martial Pacifist: Wishes for everyone to get along and prefers to talk it out above all else, but will fight when she has to.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was younger, and her surrogate mother became a witch.
- Odango Hair: Designed to resemble the handsets of a telephone.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Compared to Kagari, Matsuri has a green colour scheme and light-themed magic, which contrasts with Kagari's purple colour scheme and "dark"-themed magic (notably, green and purple are contrasting colours). Matsuri is kind, friendly, and forgiving, and wants everyone to get along and be friends; Kagari is vengeful, sadistic, and quick to anger in comparison. Matsuri used to be blind, whereas Kagari always had sight; but then Matsuri gained sight through her wish, whereas Kagari became blinded by her need for revenge. Matsuri also likes Suzune and wants to become/is friends with her, whereas Kagari hates her and wants to kill her.
- Power Fist: Her weapons are a pair of metallic gauntlets that can shoot blinding lights or blasts of energy.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her braids are incredibly long; she actually appears to have less hair when they're put down, though given there's a time skip before she's seen with it down, it's possible she may have cut it.
- Say My Name: Screams Kagari's name as Kagari turns herself into a witch.
- Theme Naming: Like her sister and Tsubaki, she's named after a flower, in her case the jasmine (matsurika) flower.
- Tragic Keepsake: Inherits Tsubaki's pendant from Suzune at the end of the series.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: Twice in volume 3. First she's put to sleep by Kagari and then taken to her room; then she's knocked unconscious by Kagari's witch, with Suzune also taking her to her room.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark green hair.
Matsuri's older twin sister, who bears a grudge against Suzune. She has the power to manipulate peoples' memories and consciousness. Her wish is to make Suzune suffer the same fate as Tsubaki did.
- Animal Motifs: Explicitly associated with butterflies, and butterfly-related symbolism can be applied to a lot of her arc and actions.
- Best Served Cold: Her revenge gambit against Suzune. Though Kagari does put it into place not long after Tsubaki's death, the "climax"/main event doesn't appear to take place until months or years later.
- Big Bad: Indirectly responsible for the events of the first two-thirds of the story, and directly responsible for Suzune's murders through the use of memory tampering. The reason why? She wants revenge on Suzune for killing her surrogate mother, Tsubaki.
- Cynicism Catalyst: She took Tsubaki's death very, very badly, to put it lightly. See her entry under From Nobody to Nightmare below.
- Deadly Disc: Wields chakrams as one of her weapons.
- Driven to Suicide: Her turning herself into a witch could be viewed as this.
- Establishing Character Moment: Kagari's first few actions post-volume 2 introduction are to knock Matsuri unconscious and then stab Arisa in the back, killing her in one shot, all to get them out of the way so she that can get to and deal with Suzune alone. She does all this without showing so much as a trace of remorse or any emotion other than her sadistic cheerfulness.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: The whole reason she's started her plan was because Suzune killed Tsubaki, after all. It's hinted she also has some lingering affection to her sister Matsuri, given how she passes up killing her and instead chooses to knock her out though once Matsuri comes back to stop her from killing Suzune, that immediately goes out the window.
- Fake Memories: Gives them to Suzune to make her into a magical girl assassin, as well as sever her friendship with Matsuri and keep her alone. She also alters Matsuri's memories to make her forget about Suzune and Kagari herself.
- Forced Sleep: One of her powers is to knock people unconscious. She uses this power on Matsuri during their reunion.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Used to be just a serious, if a little irritable, girl who had to take care of her blind little sister. By the events of the series, she's an absolutely cruel, callous and sadistic girl who's defined solely by her need for revenge on the person who killed the only person she ever seemed to care about.
- Gambit Roulette: Her revenge gambit on Suzune (see The Plan below). It actually succeeded for the most part, until Matsuri started to interfere, thus throwing it off the rails.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Killing Matsuri instead of simply knocking her unconscious would have most likely led to Kagari's success. Made stranger by the fact that Kagari doesn't hesitate to try and kill her later on, and that she outright murdered Arisa previously, though it could be argued she only resorted to killing out of anger that Matsuri got in the way of her finishing off Suzune.
- Hypocrite: Started her revenge plot against Suzune for murdering the one person she truly cared about. Has absolutely no problems forcing Suzune to kill other magical girls and potentially forcing others to go through the exact same thing she did. When Arisa tries to get her revenge and comes close, Kagari kills her herself.
- Laughing Mad: When it looks like Suzune is about to turn into a witch, Kagari pretty much goes off her rocker laughing at her torment.
- Love Makes You Evil: Her love for Tsubaki is what drove Kagari to enact out her revenge on Suzune after Tsubaki's death by her hands.
- Magic Skirt: The skirt of her magical girl outfit never exposes what's underneath.
- Man Behind the Man: She's the sole reason Suzune hunts other magical girls.
- Manipulative Bastard: Her main power is manipulating people's minds, she indirectly birthed the events of the story by altering Suzune's and Matsuri's memories with full knowledge of what the results would be, and she makes a game of stringing Suzune and Matsuri along for kicks.
- Master of Illusion: Can create illusions by way of manipulating peoples' consciousnesses and altering what they perceive. She can also use these to show people visions in the vein of flashbacks.
- Mind Rape: Mentally tortures Suzune over having her memories altered and then killing all the magical girls she did, in order to try and turn her into a witch.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was younger, and her surrogate mother became a witch.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Kagari's powers can be described as "plot-convenient"; she always seems to have a power that can move the plot forward, thanks to her versatile mind manipulation abilities. The most obvious uses would be: being able to kill Arisa, who was powered-up to maximum and using her super speed magic at the time; being able to make other people see visions which double as flashbacks/exposition through her illusions; and being able to turn herself into a witch by altering her own memories and mind to force herself to feel complete despair. In a strange way though, it makes sense: Suzune Magica is essentially the revenge plot she crafted for the purpose of making Suzune suffer, and as its "writer" she always has a way to move it forward.
- One-Hit Kill: To Arisa. Her witch form seems to do this to Matsuri, but it turns out to only be an illusion.
- One-Winged Angel: By way of intentionally making herself go witch.
- Taking You with Me: Aimed at Suzune, though it was losing a fight against Matsuri that made her desperate enough to try it.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Only she can kill Suzune after she's done torturing her. When Arisa gets close, Kagari doesn't hesitate to reveal herself and kill Arisa first.
- The Plan: Alter Suzune's memories to cut off her friendship with Matsuri and make her into a magical girl assassin, and then after Suzune has killed a decent amount of magical girls, step in and torment her and make her become a witch, kill her, and get satisfying revenge.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Compared to Matsuri, Kagari's purple colour scheme and "dark"-themed magic, which contrasts with Matsuri's green colour scheme and light-themed magic (notably, green and purple are contrasting colours). Kagari is vengeful, sadistic, and quick to anger; whereas Matsuri is kind, friendly, and forgiving, and wants everyone to get along and be friends in comparison. Kagari always had sight, whereas Matsuri used to be blind; but then Kagari became blinded by her desire for revenge, whereas Matsuri gained sight with her wish. Kagari also hates Suzune and wants to kill her, whereas Matsuri likes her and wants to become/is friends with her.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Very much so. See the Sadist and The Unfettered entries for more details.
- Revenge Myopia: Yes, Suzune did kill Tsubaki, but that was completely unintentional and a necessary act: Tsubaki used up too much magic protecting Suzune and turned into a witch, forcing Suzune to put her down. Kagari, meanwhile, seems to think she's justified in making Suzune "suffer" like Tsubaki did by brainwashing her into a magical girl assassin, making her kill a bunch of otherwise innocent magical girls, and then dropping the Awful Truth on Suzune so that she turns into a witch and she can kill her herself.
- Sadist: Is overly delighted by just the thought of tormenting Suzune in revenge. She's notably excited-looking and even blushing when she reveals that she fiddled with Suzune's head, and admits that she crafted such a complicated revenge gambit to make things more fun for herself. It seems restricted to only Suzune, however; Kagari kills Arisa without giving her a second thought, and only shows anger and hatred for Matsuri.
- Say It with Hearts: Often when talking to or about Suzune, highlighting her playful/sadistic nature.
- Say My Name: Screams at Matsuri when she becomes too interfering in Kagari's plans.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her magical girl outfit exposes her upper back.
- The Sociopath: Hits a few marks with her lack of empathy and remorse, her drive for sadistic stimulation, her manipulation of others (which is even her power), and her self-centeredness.
- Stalker with a Crush: On top of the sadistic delight she takes in tormenting Suzune, it's heavily implied that she's been following Suzune from the shadows.
- Terms of Endangerment: Refers to Suzune by her first name and the diminutive, cutesy "-chan" honorific in the Japanese text.
- Theme Naming: Like her sister and Tsubaki, she's named after a flower, in her case the cyclamen (kagaribibana) flower.
- The Unfettered: Very much so. She will do anything to get her revenge, and she's not going to care what happens as a result.
- Verbal Tic: Often draws out syllables at the ends of her sentences.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Matsuri starts interfering with her plans, Kagari starts getting furious, culminating in her turning herself into a witch because Matsuri managed to outwit her magic and defeat her.
- Walking Spoiler: She only appears in the third half of the story, aside from a couple of appearances in volume 2, but she's very central to the events of the story and certain characters' arcs. It helps that she's the Big Bad.
- Weapon of Choice: A sword and chakrams.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark purple hair.
- You Killed My Mother: The basis of her grudge against Suzune. It's not entirely unfounded: Suzune was indirectly responsible for Tsubaki becoming a witch (see Tsubaki's entry below), and then responsible for killing the witch. Assuming she also disposed of the grief seed later, she completely removed any chance of reviving Tsubaki whatsoever.
An adult magical girl who mentored Suzune. Her wish was to gain the power to defeat witches, giving her fire-elemental magic.
- All There in the Manual: Her wish comes from a tweet by GAN.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Turned into a witch because she always put Suzune before herself, culminating in her taking on more corruption than she could handle.
- The Dead Have Names: Wrote down the names of her loved ones whenever they died and put them in her pendant, so she and them would always be together in spirit.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Her Weapon of Choice, fitting in with her traditional Japanese theme.
- The Mentor: She taught and assisted Suzune in being a magical girl and hunting witches.
- Motherly Side Plait: A symbol of her status as a surrogate mother, and also one who dies.
- Parental Substitute: To Suzune and the Hinata twins, though separately.
- Playing with Fire: Her powers, which Suzune absorbed after killing her witch.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Her death is the motivation of our protagonist and antagonist.
- Posthumous Character: Dead before the story begins, and only seen in flashbacks.
- Theme Naming: Like the Hinata twins, she's named after a flower, in her case the camellia (tsubaki) flower.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Kind, graceful, feminine, but skilled when it comes to hunting witches. She also has a very traditional Japanese theme going on.
A magical girl encountered by Suzune in the first chapter. Her first on-panel victim, too. Her powers and her wish are unknown.
- Dual Wielding: Dual-wields knives with handles.
- Friend to All Children: Inverted. According to Word of God through a tweet by GAN, Kanami is kind to the elderly.
The leader of a trio of bullies who targeted Arisa prior to her contracting, and her cronies.
- The Bully: Mika is the ringleader of the gang that harassed Arisa.
- Bullying a Dragon: They still approached Arisa after her contracting, only to have their shit beaten out of their souls.
- Girl Posse: Theyre a group of female bullies targeting Arisa.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: It's very satisfying to watch Arisa show off her Super Strength to and chase Mika and her cronies off.
- Disproportionate Retribution: It becomes uncomfortable when Arisa then goes on to hospitalize them all, though.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: Did things like stuffing trash in and writing graffiti on Arisa's desk, stealing her money, and beating her up.
Haruka's older sister, who disappeared because of Haruka's wish.
- The Ace: Perfect at everything she was asked to accomplish.
- Always Someone Better: To her younger sister. Every achievement Haruka made was overshadowed by Kanata's.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite Haruka's obvious dislike of her, Kanata attempted to be one to her. She would often tell Haruka that she could tell her anything and tried to support her. However, her kindness wasnt repaid.
- Meaningful Name: "Kanata" can be read as "distant"; this could possibly reference her disappearance, and her emotional distance from Haruka.
- Repetitive Name: Kanata Kanade.
- Theme Naming: "Kanata" is one reading for "distant", which matches with Haruka.
- Unperson: Erased from existence, along with all memory of her, by her little sister's wish.
KyubeyThe magical girl contractor. In addition to his tropes from the original anime:
- Demoted to Extra: Compared to other Puella Magi spin-offs, he's a rather minor character. All Kyubey does in Suzune is grant wishes and exposition when needed.
- I Am Not Weasel: He says that being called a plushie is offensive. He accepts being called a fairy, however.
- Not Me This Time: Though the magical girl system is still ultimately his fault, this is the first time in a major storyline that he wasn't the one to manipulate events to start a conflict or sic the villain on the heroes.
- Your Head A-Splode: After he reveals the awful truth about the magical girl system, Arisa squeezes him hard enough to reduce him to a gory mess in her anger.