So, you have a female character, and you want her to appear prim and proper, while still being feminine and fitting in with all of your other female characters. It would usually (with few exceptions) be improper for her to wear pants, but it would be difficult to have her fit in full dresses when all of your other female characters are wearing short, suggestive skirts.
The solution is simple — have her wear dark, opaque tights with a skirt. The skirt allows her to fit in with her fellow girls, but the tights ensure that she remains proper and well-covered. It retains that feminine quality, yet prevents the lady from in any way seeming risqué.
This style of dress is particularly common in Anime with the Ojou and Yamato Nadeshiko. Compare with Skirt over Slacks, which occurs when pants of some description are added to an already modest skirt in order to convey shyness or tomboyishness, and with Modesty Shorts, which ensures modesty for the Action Girl who wears a microskirt in action scenes. Contrasts with Zettai Ryouiki, which are usually employed to instead enhance the fanservice of the outfit, highlighting innocent, budding sexuality; and with Tights Under Shorts, which incorporates something more boyish than a skirt but is nevertheless used more frequently on girls than on boys.
Note that when it comes to children, and especially school uniforms (except where School Uniforms Are the New Black), this is so standard that no examples need to be given.
- Belarus from Axis Powers Hetalia wears this whether she's in an Elegant Gothic Lolita outfit, in uniform garb or cosplaying as Alice in Hetaween 2011.
- Date A Live: Kurumi has tights with her school uniform, but the properness she presents is only a façade.
- Utaha Kasumigaoka of How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend wears tights with most of her outfits, is the top student of her class, and doesn't get into trouble.
- Henri Wakayama wears this with his Cure Infini costume in Hugtto! Pretty Cure. He's officially the first Cure to incorporate this into his costume.
- Umi from Magic Knight Rayearth as she's The Ojou and comes from a high-class school.
- Homura Akemi wears this with her outfits, including her Magical Girl uniform (which, to top it off, adds high-heeled boots incorporated into the tights), in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, except in her flashbacks in episode 10. Mami Tomoe also wears this in her normal attire.
- Shimoneta: Oboro wears a white pair of pantyhose beneath a full-length pleated skirt, in order to conceal the fact that he's crossdressing as a girl. It's part of his job as head of Tokioka Academy's 'Decency Prefects' and as Anna's bodyguard, because Anna's father groomed him to think and act as a female.
- Subverted in a sense by Strike Witches, since none of the girls wears a skirt...or pants, for that matter, but prim and proper Gallian noblewoman Perrine and Orussian moe Sanya wears tights.
- Sayumi Takanashi from When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace wears tights with her school uniform, was a perfectionist in middle school, and comes from a well-off family.
- Fran of Franken Fran wears a knee length skirt with opaque black tights under her Mad Scientist white labcoat. This is partly to emphasise her modesty and lack of sexuality, while still being feminine.
- Balalaika from Black Lagoon wears black tights with an impeccable red skirt suit at all times. However, given Balalaika's age, occupation and attitude, "professional" is probably a better description than "proper".
- Yukiko Kanzaki from Assassination Classroom wears black tights with her school uniform, has the title of class idol, comes from a traditional family, and she is one of the nicest characters of the series.
- Asuna Yuuki from Sword Art Online has this with all of her outfits in reality, including her school uniform. Of course, she comes a traditional family and is a Nice Girl.
- Ochaco Uraraka from My Hero Academia wears gray tights with her school uniform, representing her properness and how nice she is.
- Haruko Amaya from Maken-ki! has this with her school uniform. She's the vice-president of Tenbi Academy's Student Council and is a Nice Girl.
- Akane Shinjo from SSSS.GRIDMAN wears tights with her school uniform. She may be the most popular girl in school, but her niceness is just a façade to hide her sociopathic tendencies.
- Tomoe Tachibana from Absolute Duo wears black tights with her school uniform, making her look more elegant compared to the other girls. Also, she's polite, friendly and very helpful, especially towards her partner Miyabi.
- Sen Yarizui from Ben-To wears tights with her school uniform. In a setting where she has to fight for the titular object in a supermarket, at least she knows how to be modest.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: In the movie, at least, you can see the eponymous princess wearing flesh-colored tights under her outfits if you look closely enough. In any case, Snow White is the only Disney Princess to be depicted wearing this.
- Jenny Foxworth from Oliver & Company wears periwinkle tights in her casual outfit. She may be a child, but she knows how to look proper.
- Samantha (the Victorian Era... oops, The Edwardian Era girl) from the American Girl franchise wears this. She expresses dislike for it, especially as her grandmother insists on her wearing long underwear underneath them from September to June (in an attempt to prevent tuberculosis).
- In the first book of The Princess Diaries, Mia's grandmother tries to get her to wear these as part of her princess makeover. It ultimately fails because Mia doesn't like wearing tights and doesn't choose the "right" style.
- In Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Karis wears a minidress with tights, and for a rare male example (!) Rief wears what are either leggings or tights with his tunic (which didn't help the gender confusion any).
- In MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies, Vert wears tights with her school uniform and she's the most outwardly refined character in the game.
- Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4 (pictured above) wears pantyhose with her school uniform. She comes from a very traditional family and tries to carry herself in an elegant manner.
- Persona 5 has a twofer with Makoto Niijima and Haru Okumura. Makoto wears black leggings and is Shujin High's stern student council president, while Haru wears white, star-patterned tights in winter and is the refined heiress to one of Japan's biggest corporations.
- Due to the various items of clothing available in Pokémon X and Y, you can dress your character this way if you so desire.
- Yurika Kirishima, the resident Ojou of Project Justice, wears white pantyhose with her dress.
- The Pacific High School female uniform, which rich heiress Tiffany Lords wears as her alternate costume in Rival Schools: United By Fate, has dark hose with a miniskirt.
- Tales of the Abyss: Princess Natalia Luzu-Kimalsca Lanvaldear wears white tights under her short aquamarine dress when you first meet her.
- Priestess Eris Anthule, the representative of the Havencraft faction in Shadowverse, wears a long one-piece dress slit all the way up to her thighs on both sides with opaque tights or leggings underneath to preserve her modesty.
- Maria Traydor, the leader of Quark in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, wears dark skin-tight leggings in her main outfit.
- Elly Van Houten from Xenogears wears brown tights under her Gebler uniform. She's a Nice Girl, in contrast with the other Gebler members.
- Ikaruga, a third-year student at Hanzo National Academy who is the class president, from Senran Kagura wears tights in her ninja outfit.
- The magical girl webcomic Sleepless Domain combines and contrasts this trope with Zettai Ryouiki to signal the five main characters' defining personality traits. Cool Big Sis Sylvia, Tsundere Sally and Ojou Tessa wear Zettai Ryouiki grades A, B, and C respectively while Tomboy Gwen wears 3/4 height gym socks. Team peacemaker and Shrinking Violet Undine, on the other hand, is always depicted wearing Proper Tights With A Skirt, be it with her school uniform, her civilian clothes, or at Sylvia, Sally, and Gwen's funeral.
- In Rain, the title character favors this while wearing her school uniform even though the other girls don't. This is partially due to her naturally shy personality and partially due to the fact that she's a transgender girl who wants to draw as little attention to what's under her skirt as possible.
- Daphne Blake's regular outfit from the various incarnations of Scooby-Doo is a purple mini-dress with pink tights. She comes from a very rich family.
- In The Legend of Korra, Asami Sato's standard non-combat outfit both pre- and post-Time Skip features a skirt with opaque tights — she's the resident nice dark-haired girl.
- Claire Nunez in Trollhunters wears purple tights in her main outfit. This goes to show you that she's a Nice Girl, despite surrounding herself with a Skeleton Motif.
- Star's main outfit in Star vs. the Forces of Evil consists of a green dress with orange and purple tights.