DeadEndia is a horror-comedy webcomic by Hamish Steele based on his Cartoon Hangover short Dead End. It's about the adventures of Norma, Barney (and his dog Pugsley) who are two workers at the haunted house attraction in a failing amusement park, Winslow Wonderland, that also happens to be a portal to hell.
DeadEndia features examples of:
- Adaptational Gender Identity: Barney was an Ambiguously Gay male in the original short, he's confirmed to be female to male transgender here.
- Beach Episode: Issue 3 centers around beach day at Winslow Wonderland.
- Breath Weapon: In Issue 2, Courtney uses blue flame breath on a cowboy named Murdoch.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Demons are not necessarily evil.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to both its progenitor and spawn DeadEndia covers pretty heavy topics. Besides introducing Barney as trans and showing in details his hardships it also deals with suicide and, in the original webcomic, HIV.
- Demonic Possession: In Issue 1, Pugsley is possessed by a demon named Temeluchus.
- Emotion Eater: Dr Mckinley feeds off of people's anxieties.
- Forced Transformation: In Issue 4, Pugsley accidentally turns Barney into a dog and Norma into a cat.
- George Lucas Altered Version: In the original webcomic, the theme park was called Winslow Wonderland and is run by the reclusive film director Franklin Winslow. By the time it was released as a graphic novel, the theme park was changed to Pollyland, dedicated to the actress Pauline Phoenix (who was briefly mentioned in the original version of issue 5).
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Barney dyes his hair a different color every issue.
- Killed Off for Real: So far, both 3D and Pugsley have been killed off.
- Light Is Not Good: Angels are not necessarily good (though we don't get to see much of them as antagonists).Courtney: The higher planes might seem more heavenly in their aesthetic, but they're just as ethically diverse as yours!
- Mocky Mouse: An evil looking Mickey can be seen in one of the guest comics.
- Never Suicide: In Issue 6 Swan states that he never actually hung himself, and that his brother Winslow strangled him to death.
- The Nicknamer: Norma has nicknames for everyone in Winslow Wonderland. It's stated by her sister that she used to call Barney "The Wrestler".
- Politically Incorrect Villain: In a moment of spite The Watcher calls Barney (who is a trans man) a girl. This hurts even more given who he actually is.
- Tragic Villain: The Watcher, who is Pugsley long twisted by demonic possession and war.