Demon Street is a comic about some kids who find their way into a strange and magical world, and the things they meet.
A teaser scene can be read here.
- Blinding Bangs: Kate has bushy bangs that cover her eyes.
- Failed Attempt at Drama: Is Celine not allowed to make an impressive entrance?
- I Know Your True Name: Names have power and can be used for magic, whether it's someone's birth name or not.
- Ill Girl: Kate suffered from an unknown illness causing coughing fits while living in the human world. The air of the demon world cured her symptoms.
- Insect Gender-Bender: Averted, all the giant ants staffing the archives are female.
- Last-Second Word Swap: When Norn tells the story of how they met Essie:Norn: I heard her talking to Mo—uh—the Archivist.
- Little Miss Badass: Raina is around 12 or so and is introduced using an ax to fight a bunch of spider-like monsters with ease.
- Medium Blending: When Sep meets the ants, his thought bubble contains one of the giant ants from the live-action movie Them!.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: In a world where names have power, a guy called the Name-Eater is seriously bad news.
- Non-Human Head: A few background characters have heads such as screens or in the case of Celene's boss, a lantern.
- One-Gender Race: The ants are all female.
- Orwellian Retcon: Essie's speech bubbles initially had music notes in them, as if she were singing her lines. This was soon dropped, and the music notes in the early pages were later edited out for consistency.
- Playing with Fire: Celine has the power to create magical fire. Turns out Essie heard her name when she first arrived and gave her that power without Celine's knowledge.
- Pungeon Master: Sep seems to enjoy making little puns such as "ANT-ernet" and "Hailing a crab".
- Ship Tease: Kate and Raina have mutual crushes on each other and get some romantic moments together.
- Shout-Out: The second panel of this page shows Sep using his fingers as binoculars on a small white and yellow beetle with a gem on its back. The same scene has Sep talking like David Attenborough.
- Super Empowering: Certain beings can unlock the potential magic within people, if they know that person's name.
- Supernaturally Validated Trans Person: Trans characters' chosen names are the names that are used in magic. When Norn is about to trade their name with the archivist in order to unlock their magic, they ask if it matters that it's not their given name. The archivist responds, "your real name is the name that's you. I don't need to know what you were called before."
- Third Eye: Norn has a third eye in the centre of their forehead.
- Troll Bridge: The chasm beasts ask for riddles (or pose them) in exchange for granting passage.
- You Are Not Alone: After Raina loses hope because of failing to save Sep from being kidnapped, Norn and Kate assure Raina that they would accompany her into the unknown of the forest spiral to help fix the situation, bringing Raina to tears.