- "Load the Toph!" said by Toph during a ship-to-ship battle. Even funnier when you remember what her name is a homonym of.
- When an attack comes close, Aang attempts to join the fight but Sokka grabs him and shakes his head. Aang growls and comically hits his head against his staff, complete with the hollow sound effects.
- Sokka VS The Universe.Toph: How are we doing?
Sokka: Things couldn't get much worse. (Serpent reappears) The universe just loves proving me wrong, doesn't it?Toph: You make it too easy!
Sokka: Thank you, the universe!
- However once the Serpent turns on the other Fire Nation ship because they attacked it, Sokka happily hugs himself.
- Mai asking Zuko if he was cold.Mai: Aren't you cold?
Zuko: I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long - over three years since I was home - I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed..Mai: I just asked you if you were cold. I didn't ask for your life story.
- Aang's reaction when he finds out he now has hair.Katara: I like your hair.
Aang: I have hair? How long was I out?
- Sokka sneaking around the Fire Nation beach that they land on, but not being as stealthy as he thinks he's being.Toph: Yeah, we wouldn't want a bird to hear us chatting up there and turn us in.
Sokka: Hey! We're in enemy territory, those are enemy birds. [small bird lands on his head and squawks]
- Half that episode is a CMoF, including this:
- Then later:
- Earlier, there's a golden moment when Aang talks about what he did in school.Aang: I've already gotten a picture of Fire Lord Ozai (shows poster), and here's one I made out of noodles! (shows noodle art)
Sokka: Impressive, I admit.
- This moment:Aang: You don't know what it's like, Sokka. You get to be normal all the time!
Toph: Ha, ha!
- Zuko and Mai's romantic picnic uptop a mountain during the sunset. Both hilarious and oddly sweet.Mai: Orange is such an awful color.
Zuko: You're so beautiful when you hate the world.
Mai: I don't hate you.
Zuko: I don't hate you, too.
- At the end, when the principal and his minions are surrounded by rebellious students, it turns out even the minions are starting to dance to the music as well.
- Aang and Katara dancing so furiously together that they're sweaty and out of breath when they finish.
- Peak bratty little sister is Azula crashing Zuko's and Mai's date. Peak annoyed older brother is Zuko continuing to kiss her best friend in front of her out of pure spite.
The Painted Lady
- Dock/Xu/Bushi. At first, the appearance of Xu right after Dock is almost handwaveable - then the fact that they're the same guy becomes pretty blatant, to the extent that you fully expect him to Ass Pull a third personality. What you DON'T expect is for Aang to literally blow a fuse when it happens. There's even a puff of smoke!
- And then the third personality says that the first one is crazy!
- When Sokka tries and fails to catch fish in the polluted water...Aang: Hey guys, I think this river is polluted.
Sokka: Well that explains why I can't catch a fish around here. Because normally my fishing skills are off the hook... Get it? Like a fishing hook.
Toph: Too bad your skills aren't on the hook.
- When the Gaang wakes up to find Appa sick, Sokka starts to panic. When Toph mentions that she didn't realize he cared so much, Sokka says he might as well throw their schedule away now. Cue Aang and Katara giving him a Death Glare, and Toph keeping her head down in shame.
- Aang's whole attempt to make contact with 'the Painted Lady.' Poor Katara tries to keep up the disguise while Aang cheerfully keeps after her. Culminating in him running headlong into a pole because he's too busy waving at her.
- While buying food, Xu offers Sokka either a one headed fish or a two-headed fish. Sokka takes the latter, since "You get more for your money that way."
- Sokka suggests that if the Painted Lady really wanted to help the village, she would blow up the factory with "spirit magic". Then Sokka and Aang have an argument over what "spirit magic" sounds like.
- Later, when Katara confesses to Sokka that she destroyed the factory...Sokka: You what?!
Katara: It was your idea!
Sokka: I WAS JOKING! I also said to use spirit magic and make funny noises!
- Later, when Katara confesses to Sokka that she destroyed the factory...
- Sokka tests the purple "lichen tongue berries" on Toph. Complete with her sticking out a huge purple tongue.
- Sokka and Katara's heartwarming brother-sister moment is immediately followed by this bit from Aang and Toph:Katara: "Oh, Sokka! You do have a heart!"
Aang: (wiping away a tear) "He really does have a heart!"
Toph: (punches him offscreen)
- Toph pretending to be a Fire Nation citizen, suggesting to Dock to clean the river.
- As a wildfire begins to spread, Aang, Katara, and Toph are immediately on it while Sokka asks what his role was.Aang: ... Watch Momo!
- Momo perches on his head, and after a beat, Sokka pats him with a deadpan, "There, there."
- Sokka sitting off on the side and watching his friends do their amazing bending with a look of boredom.
- When a few fires start around him and Momo, he works on a small one with his club whereas Momo consecutively puts out four smaller ones. When Sokka sees this, he looks disgruntled that Momo has rendered him superfluous.
- When Aang tells Sokka to step away, he lethargically starts to move when the area is waterbended and turned into snow. Sokka's head pops up from a pile of snow with annoyance while Momo slides across the ice with glee.
- Sokka lamenting over how everyone else was so special and he was normal.Katara: I know something that'll cheer you up.
Sokka: ... You do? (Gilligan Cut to a weapons shop) (clapping his hands excitedly) SHOPPING!
- Followed by a small montage of Sokka trying out all of the different weapons with hilarious consequences.
- Aang's ridiculous armor setup. It would be like Frodo wearing Sauron's armor.
- The calligraphy and the painting, but also the bit where Sokka uses the rock garden to his advantage by...making himself a chair. And then he asks Piandao's butler for a cold drink. Piandao rolls with it and asks for one too. "I'll take a slice of lemon with mine."
- The best part about the landscape painting is Piandao's bemused, "You added a rainbow."
- Piandao's reactions to Sokka's training can be summed up as Sure, Let's Go with That incarnate.
- At the beginning of the episode, Sokka is putting himself down because all he does is plan and crack jokes while the others can bend. Turns out that's a useful skill because the Gaang is unbelievably bored and disorganized while Sokka's off training with Piandao.Toph: I'm tapped out. I already picked my toes twice. The first time's for cleaning, but the second time's just for the sweet picking sensation.
- A minor one is the Gaang's faces when Sokka reveals from Piandao that he's not actually from the Fire Nation. Aang has a shocked, "What did he just say?!"-face, Katara winces, and Toph brings her head down in exasperation.Piandao: Of course I knew from the beginning that Sokka was Water Tribe. You might want to think of a better Fire Nation cover name. Try "Lee". There's a million Lee's.
- Sokka running away from his master while using the bamboo to stall him.Piandao: That's right! Use your surroundings, make them fight for you!
Sokka: (running out of the bamboo garden) DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
- After blinding Piandao, Sokka tries to tip-toe away until his foot steps on a random twig.
- Toph bending the meteorite into the Nickelodeon splat.
- Every moment of Azula trying to fit in socially, particularly her attempts to get a guy to like her. There's something beautiful about how Azula can bring down entire kingdoms within mere days and manipulate her opponents' emotions with malicious glee, but she can't get a boyfriend to save her life.Azula: Together, you and I will be the strongest couple in the entire world! WE WILL DOMINATE THE EARTH!
Chan: [Stunned Silence] Uh... I gotta go.
- When she gets invited to a party:[Chan finds Azula and company at his door]
Chan: What are you doing here?
Azula: You said we'd be partying from dusk to dawn. It's dusk, so we're here.
Chan: That's really more of an expre-
Azula: We are the perfect party guests. We arrive right on time, because we are very punctual.
- Azula's attempts at flirting leave something to be desired, to say the least.That's a sharp outfit, Chan. Careful, you could puncture the hull of an Empire-class Fire Nation battleship, leaving thousands to drown at sea... Because it's so sharp.
- The icing on the cake is the nervous, self-aware look in Azula's eyes, as though she's thinking "Why are all these words coming out of my mouth? Make it stop!"
- Ty Lee tries to help Azula talk with boys by suggesting that she should smile a lot and laugh at whatever a boy says, even when it's not funny. Azula finds it "shallow and stupid", but tries it anyways.Ty Lee: (In a deep voice, pretending to be a guy) Hey there, sweet sugarcakes. How are you liking this party?
Azula: (laughs loudly and awkwardly)
(Party noises stop and everyone stares at Azula and Ty Lee)
- At the end of the episode, Azula and co. completely trash Chan's house as payback for the various problems they had at the party. Who knew raging sociopathy could be so amusing?
- The Pastel Freeze Frame◊ that makes up the end of the episode. Mai, Zuko, Azula and Ty Lee sharing a tender moment as the house burns down behind them...complete with Ty Lee sporting a frighteningly huge shit-eating grin.
- Also her ability to make even volleyball Serious Business on par with her usual war-waging:
- And Azula denying having a Freudian Excuse for her actions:Azula: Well, yes, I guess you're right. I don't have sob stories like all of you. I could sit here and complain how mom liked Zuko more than me, but I don't really care. (frowns and looks down at the fire) My own mother thought I was a monster...
Azula: She was right, of course. But it still hurt.
- Though it becomes something of a Tear Jerker in hindsight when it's learned her humorous sarcasm was covering up the fact that it really DID hurt. A lot.
- Zuko's flashbacks are quite touching, but they lose some impact when they're in the same episode as the dramatic shirt-toss with Disturbed Doves. Or Zuko almost throwing up thanks to Lo and Li. Or the Serious Business volleyball game. Or Mai being her usual deadpan self.
- Zuko and Mai's fizzling relationship in the first half of the episode, at least until things reach a boiling point.Zuko: It's hot, so I brought you this.
(Zuko holds out an ice cream cone, which promptly falls on Mai's leg.)
Mai: ...Thanks. That was really... refreshing.
Mai: Why would I want that?
- Zuko, trying to be thoughtful, gives Mai a seashell. She's not taken with it.
Zuko: Don't girls like that sort of thing?
Mai: Only the stupid ones.
- Zuko throws the shell away. Another guy grabs it and gives it to Ty Lee, who loves it. Mai and Zuko's reactions aren't seen, but it must have been hilarious.
- Ty Lee drinking in the attention that the boys were giving her, soon amassing a group that act as her shade and use large leaves to fan her. Later, at the party, they all group up and ask her who she likes. She panics, chi blocks all of them, and one guy gets a look up her skirt before he faints and she cartwheels away.
- Toph's completely underwhelmed reaction to their group being unexpectedly attacked by a metal-limbed man who can blow things up with his mind.Toph: Well, that was random.
The Avatar and the Fire Lord
- Roku noticing the girl he has a crush on and Sozin encourages his friend to go talk to her. Just as Roku takes a few steps forward and barely gets a word out, she's already too far away. He falls on the ground in exasperation and Sozin gleefully pulls up some grass to drop it over his friends face.Roku: (knowingly) Love is hard when you're young.
- Later during their birthday party, Roku spots the girl again who blushes and looks away with a smile when she sees him. Roku blushes back, and is so taken he almost trips over the steps had Sozin not caught him.
- The others watch over Aang who's body begins to move like he's using the bathroom.Katara: Do they have bathrooms in the spirit world?
Sokka: As a matter of fact, they do not.note
- Sozin takes Roku away from the party to have a private and serious chat with him. Roku tries to get his friend to be cheery.Roku: It's my wedding! Relax, dance, have a cookie!
- Toph wonders whether friendships really can last more than one life. Sokka just can't help but try to kill the moment.Sokka: Well, technically speaking, there's no evidence th-
Katara: (annoyed) Oh, Sokka, just hold hands!
(He does. Katara smiles.)
- Sokka's squeak of horror when Toph tells the gambler she'd play again for forty silver pieces and Sokka's sword.
- Aang making an "Avatar promise" to Katara that they wouldn't pull any more scams. Cut to him joyfully flipping some coins on his arms as they run off to do more scams.
- One scam has Toph throw some rock sticks with carvings on the sides, and when one looks like it wouldn't roll in her favor, she simply tilts her head and it falls where she wants it.
- Another has her earthbend a hammer so it breaks the bell on a strength game.
- Finally, Toph invents insurance fraud. She pretends that a rich man's carriage had hit her and Sokka comes out pretending to be a police (along with his beard)! The man pays him off, and only until the bags nearly reach Sokka's chin does he give him a good-natured wink.
- Pure Toilet Humor, but when Sokka's picked up his new pet messenger hawk and discovers the group is in serious trouble....and then the new hawk craps on his hand.
- Toph's blindness and the others in Team Avatar forgetting about it is played for laughs even more than usual.Sokka: Toph, when I was in town I found something you're not going to like (unfurls a wanted poster)
Toph: Well it sounds like a sheet of paper. But I guess you're referring to what's on the sheet of paper.
Katara: ...Well then, what's this? (brandishes the same wanted poster)
Toph: (seriously irritated) I don't know! I mean, seriously, what's with you people?! I'm BLIND!
- And minutes later after that, Aang and Sokka try to patch things up between Toph and Katara by giving Katara a fake apology letter. It fails because Katara picks up on the oversight in their plan.Katara: I know this is from YOU, Sokka! Toph can't write! Ugh, you're all driving me crazy!
Aang: I can't believe we forgot Toph can't write.
Sokka: Yep, we're idiots.
Aang: I guess plan B is, we send a note to Toph pretending it's from Katara.
Sokka: I think we're gonna run into a similar problem.
- And minutes later after that, Aang and Sokka try to patch things up between Toph and Katara by giving Katara a fake apology letter. It fails because Katara picks up on the oversight in their plan.
- Sokka tries to test out Hawky's capabilities.Sokka: Hawky! Gran-gran, south pole! (Hawky quickly shakes its head) I think he gets it!
Sokka: (as the animals climb over him) Hawky! Bad Hawky! Play nice!
- Just as Sokka feared, Momo and Hawky get into a fight.
- The moment Appa was left in charge while Sokka and co. went off to scam. Everything between Momo, Hawky, and Appa is hilarious.
- Later, "Katara! You're a genius! A sweaty, stinky genius!"
- Aang's call back to Sokka's name for Combustion Man before he got his actual nickname.Aang: Sokka! It's Sparky-Sparky Boom Man!
Sokka: You know, Im starting to think that name doesnt quite fit.
- Sokka finally comes up with Combustion Man.Sokka: Hey! I got the perfect name for him! Combustion man!
Toph: Nice work, Sokka. Now let's get out of here before Combustion man gets us!
Sokka: See? It fits so well!
- Katara writes a letter to Toph's parents for her as the episode ends.Sokka: (before the screen turns white) Hey, where's Hawky?
- Even though "The Puppetmaster" was, for the most part, very scary, even for this show, there's a couple of darkly funny moments. For example, when Katara says that Hama reminds her of Gran Gran, she holds up a head of cabbage that looks like Gran Gran's face.
- Hama telling the kids the story of people going missing into the mountains.Hama: People go in, and they don't come out. (Beat) (cheerfully standing up) Who wants more tea?
- Sokka is so creeped out that he grabs his covers and mutters, "I don't know if I'm gonna sleep tonight." Gilligan Cut to him sleeping soundly and drooling over the pillow.
- Hama and Katara at the market:Katara: That Mr. Yao seems to have a thing for you. Maybe we should go back and see if he'll give us some free komodo sausages.
Hama: You would have me use my feminine charms to take advantage of that poor man? ... I think you and I are going to get along swimmingly!
- When Sokka decides to snoop around Hama's inn, he finds a small chest in the attic. As Katara tries to stop him, Toph remarks "Maybe it's treasure!"
- As Toph picks the lock to the box, Aang says how he thinks this isn't a good idea, while Katara is against it and attempts to leave the room. Once Toph unlocks it, they all crowd each other to get a look.
- As Hama serves them a Southern water tribe meal, Aang whispers to Toph to steer clear of the sea prunes.Toph: (with disgust) I thought they were ocean kumquats.
Aang: (Beat) Close enough.
- Aang and Sokka looking for Old Man Ding, who was in the middle of hammering a nail. Them surprising him made his name hilariously literal.Old Man Ding: OW! Ah, ding-nammit!
- When Bloodbending is being used on Sokka:Sokka: It's like my brain has a mind of its own! Stop it, arm! Stop it!
Katara: I'm sorry, Aang!
- Beforehand, Katara disables Aang by freezing him to a tree.
Aang: (unfazed) It's okay.
- Just the fact that Katara of all people was the best at telling ghost stories. She was so convincing that she even creeped herself out!
Nightmares and DaydreamsAang's half of the episode is one big Crowning Moment of Funny (not that Zuko doesn't get some humorous moments on his end, although his story thread here is mostly serious), but here are some key highlights:
- A Funny Background Event to remind us of Toph's blindness: when Sokka and Toph comedically pop out from behind Katara to stare with her at a sleep-deprived Aang, Toph is looking the wrong way.
- Aang sticks his noodle art of Ozai on a tree and turns it into a dummy Ozai. "(flatly) The Fire Lord's defenses are impeccable."
- Aang's insomnia-induced hallucinations and Sanity Slippage. Specifically, the Yojimbo-style swordfight between Momo and Appa with cheering koala sheep as spectators, strings of rocks slithering like snakes, and a 6-armed singing Guru Pathik playing a veena. By the end, even Aang is so horrified and confused about what he's seeing that he immediately says he has to go jump into a cold waterfall to make it stop."Chakras, chakras, everybody loves chakras! Chakras, Chakras, Chakra Sandwich is good, yum!"
Momo: You, my friend, are just a few plums short of a fruit pie.
- Appa's voice when Aang is sleep deprived.Appa: (standing up, points at him) You have to take care of yourself. You can't go on like this.
- The best part is the build-up to it; All of Aang's friends are, in turn, expressing their concern over his self-induced sleep deprivation, and at the end, Appa does the same.
- "Baby, you're my forever girl."
- The very last dream.Ozai: Really? You're gonna take me out? You're not even wearing pants!
Aang: No, Fire Lord Ozai, you're not wearing pants!
Ozai: (gasps and looks down) NOOOOO! MY ROYAL PARTS ARE SHOWING! AAAAAAAAARGH!''
- One must wonder how many takes Mark Hamill flubbed before he could say that with a straight face...
- When Aang is trying to delay sleeping by wishing everyone in the group good night, the camera pans out as it becomes an Overly Long Gag...before Toph yells at him to shut up, complete with a cartoonish speech bubble with her face.
- When Aang discovers a nice bed made of wool by his friends, there are naked, miserable, shivering koala sheep next to Sokka.
- Also this scene where Zuko wants to walk to Mai's house, his palanquin bearers insist that a prince must not walk anywhere, even though he tells them it's not very far. They then carry him for about 11 yards to where Mai's waiting for him.
- "We all died because of your tiny bladder!" - Aang explaining a dream where Toph had to go to the bathroom in the middle of a battle.
- Before this, when Aang yells "Don't drink that!" he startles Sokka, who is climbing a cliff in the background.
- The return of WANG FIRE, consulting psychiatrist.
- "Want to try screaming into this pillow?" (hands Aang a koala sheep)
- And the koala sheep doesn't even blink.
- "Want to try screaming into this pillow?" (hands Aang a koala sheep)
- Aang "talking" to Momo. That's bad enough, but then the others walk up when he's doing it... Sokka's "What the hey is he doing?" face is priceless.
- Near the end of the episode, in the middle of the night, Aang tries to get Katara to train him, leading to this exchange:Aang: Quick, hit me!
Katara: I'm not going to hit you.
Toph: You want me to do it? [Sokka lightly taps her back in a "cut it out, this is serious" way]
- Toph offers Aang a massage, which is him laying on brick-like rocks and her stomping the ground to bend them and hit his back. Aang immediately regrets his decision and once Toph stops, he continues bouncing until falling off the bed.Toph: Well, there's one other thing we could try. (Stomps her foot and catches something that flew out from the forest) Acupuncture! (Grins widely as the boar-q-pine piglet's quills pop out)
Aang: (looks up) YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!! (runs away)
The Day of Black Sun Part 1: The Invasion
- Teo and his father make their return from an exploding peanut bomb, which the others are more than happy to eat.Pipsqueak: It's destructive.
Duke: And delicious!
- The mechanic made Aang a new glider which he added the feature of a snack compartment.
- Hue: "Pants are an illusion. And so is death."
- Sokka starting from the beginning while presenting his battle plan. "And then Katara got Haru arrested and then now he's grown a mustache which if you look at in the front row you can see it-"
- Haru's mustache itself qualifies.
- "Then Suki dressed me like a woman and then she kissed me..."
- Sokka's drawings for the whale-subs, even Teo's father admit it was "a little hard to decipher".
- Toph snarks about being seasick.Toph: Congratulations. You've invented a way to travel that's worse than flying. *throws up*
The Day of Black Sun Part 2: The Eclipse
- The Gaang come upon a huge metal door and Toph shows off her new metalbending skills.Sokka: I am so glad we added you to the group!
- The next obstacle are geysers of lava. Sokka suggest they be quick and the first geyser he gets near spews lava that Aang cools by airbending it.Sokka: Okay, we have to be quick, and lucky.
- In order to cross the lava, Aang flies on his glider while Sokka and Toph are holding the top and screaming for their dear lives.
- The Gaang find one of Ozai's attendants and demand to know where Ozai was. He gives them the exact location, and once they let him off he dusts his clothes, looks around and then whistles his way as if saying, "I didn't see anything!"
- During the eclipse one of the Southern water tribe members tells the firebender soldiers to surrender.Firebender soldier: We'll never surrender! (begins attempting to bend but only gets a small spark that fizzes out pathetically) Uh, okay, we surrender. (he and his comrades all bow in surrender)
- When the Gaang is looking for Ozai's chamber:Toph: I'll be able to tell when you're lying!
Azula: Are you sure? I'm a pretty good liar. [completely straight faced] I am a four-hundred-foot-tall purple platypus-bear with pink horns and silver wings.
Toph: ...Okay, you're good, I admit it.
- The brief look of disbelieving frustration on Toph's face when she realizes she gave off no hints of lying.
The Western Air Temple
- Teo is excited to explore the air temple and shows off how fast his wheelchair can go. There's a small crash off-screen, causing Haru and the Duke to chase after him.
- "Hello! Zuko here!" And basically any other time Zuko shows off his dweebery after joining the group... "Silver Sandwich" speech, anyone?Zuko: Hmm...What would Uncle do? [impersonates Iroh] You have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself.
- His impersonation of Azula afterward, because not only is it spot on, the writers even gave Azula!Zuko the same musical cue Azula gets.
- The badger-frog!
- Zuko tries to prove he's changed for the better, but the Gaang (except Toph) is not buying it. Even when Appa affectionately licks Zuko, Sokka suspects Zuko covered himself in honey, or something.
- The group is talking about Zuko, and Aang confesses something he hadn't told them before.Aang: Remember when you two were sick and I got captured by Zhao?
Sokka: [angrily] And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget? I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!
Katara: Sokka, I looked at it and told you there was nothing there.
Sokka: I could feel it! It's my throatal flap!
- "WHY AM I SO BAD AT BEING GOOD?!"
- Toph returns with her feet burnt.Katara: Toph, what happened?!
Toph: My feet got burned!
Sokka: Oh, no, what happened?!
Toph: I just told you, my feet got burned!
- Sokka suggesting they take Zuko as their prisoner, but warns that he'll be crafty. When Toph points out that Zuko already offered himself up as a prisoner Sokka interprets this to mean they'll use his suggestion of being taken prisoner in order to trick Zuko into actually being their prisoner. Katara is not very impressed.
- Zuko tries to stop Combustion man by ordering him as the prince, but gets tossed away. Zuko then tries to bribe him to stop killing the Avatar by offering him more money.
- (Sokka throws boomerang and it hits Combustion man in his third eye) "Yeah, boomerang!" (Combustion man gets back up) "Awwww, boomerang!"
- When trying to present his case to the group, Zuko lets slip that he hired an assassin to kill Aang.Sokka: You sent Combustion Man after us?!
The Firebending Masters
- Aang apologizing to Zuko during their first firebending session:Aang: Sorry, sifu hotman.
Zuko: AND STOP CALLING ME THAT!
- Before that, when Zuko's attempt at a demonstration fails miserably, Aang politely applauds. You can also hear a violin playing the Fire Nation theme extremely poorly in the background.
- And then Sokka walks in. "Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you jerks do your jerkbending?"
- Zuko approaches the group about his firebending.Zuko: I got some bad news, I lost my stuff.
Toph: Don't look at me, I didn't take your stuff.
- When Katara insults Zuko by saying maybe he wasn't as good as he thought he was, Toph gives a small, "ouch".
- It's hilarious how Zuko, wondering why is Firebending is suddenly weaker, instantly theorizes, "I bet it's because I changed sides." What, was he searching for the answer on TV Tropes pages?
- After Aang suggests that the reason Zuko's firebending is so weak is because it used to be fueled by rage, Sokka then suggests that they need to make Zuko angry. He then proceeds to poke Zuko over and over with a long stick. Zuko isn't amused.Sokka: Sooo, all we have to do is make Zuko angry, sounds easy enough! (starts to poke Zuko with his sword that's in its sheath) Eh, heheheh, Ah, hahaha! Aaaaaa-!
Zuko: OKAY! CUT IT OUT!
- For a small bit that is both funny and absolutely adorable: in Toph's flashback, we see her as a toddler, meeting a badgermole. After the badgermole affectionately licks her, she giggles and licks it back.
- Sokka asks if throwing Zuko into a volcano would get his firebending back.
- Zuko's first ride on Appa:Zuko: I don't know why, but I thought this thing would be a lot faster.
Aang: Appa's right, Zuko! In our group, we try to start out with a more positive attitude!
Zuko: (muttering) Ugh, I can't believe this...
- "Zuko! I think the past is trying to kill me!"
- When Zuko manages to outsmart the Sun Stone that's supposed to only open a door on the solstice (By using his sword to reflect the sun's light into the stone), Aang delivers an unintentional Stealth Insult, made even better by how Zuko doesn't realize it right away.Aang: You know, Zuko, I don't care what anyone says about you; you're pretty smart.
Zuko: expressions: (hey, someone gave me a compliment!....wait a minute...)◊
- When Aang figures out what the statues in a room mean...Aang: Hey, Zuko! Come over here! I want you to dance with me!
Zuko: [makes a shocked expression] What?!
- Aang tries to help Zuko by airbending at him. All this does is flip Zuko body so his face is facing the open grates so he can breathe. You can even hear him give a small "Oof!" as he flips.
- Everything leading up to:Aang: You had to pick up the glowing egg, didn't you?
Zuko: (seriously irritated) At least I made something happen! If it were up to you, we'd never have made it past the courtyard!
Zuko: Who are you yelling to!? Nobody's lived here for centuries!
Aang: Well, what do you think we should do?
Zuko: Think about our place in the universe?
- When Aang's offertory flame goes out, he tries to get some from Zuko, sparking a fight straight out of grade school.Zuko: Stop cheating off me!
Aang: Quit being stingy!
- Doubly funny when it's then shown that the Sun Warriors can hear them.
- When Zuko's fire eventually goes out, the two look at each other before the rumbling increases and Aang looks over Zuko's shoulder muttering, "Uh, oh."
- Doubly funny when it's then shown that the Sun Warriors can hear them.
- Around facing the firebending masters...Zuko: We're the Fire Prince and the Avatar. I think we could take these guys in a fight whoever they are.
(The firebending masters turn out to be dragons.)
Aang: Still think we can take them?
Zuko: Shh! I never said that!
- The Sun Warriors (who were thought to have died out thousands of years ago but in fact have been living in seclusion) prank Aang and Zuko by telling them that, since they now know of their existence, they can never be allowed to leave. "Just kidding! (beat) But seriously, don't tell anyone."
- A bit earlier, Zuko realizes the Sun is the true source of firebending.
- Zuko's reaction to the others' reactions to his newly learned technique.
The Boiling Rock Part 1
- One of Zuko's best lines:
Katara: That way you have someone to practice with, and I get to learn waterbending! Everyone's happy!
- This actually mirrors "The Waterbending Master" (1.18)
Sokka: I'm not happy.
Katara: But you're never happy.
- The epic bromance of Zuko and Sokka.Sokka: "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
Zuko: [completely and utterly straight-faced] "That's rough, buddy."
- What also makes it funny is how Zuko gives a quick look into the sky.
- Also, this:Zuko: Well, I did have a girlfriend. Mai.
Sokka: That gloomy girl who sighs a lot?
Zuko: (dreamy face)◊ Yeah...
- Zuko tries to cheer Sokka up after telling him the new batch of prisoners arriving probably isn't going to include Hakoda, or any other Water Tribe soldiers for that matter. When he tries to take a page from Iroh's book once again, this happens:Zuko: Sometimes, clouds have two sides: a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich! When life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich!
(Sokka notices something off in the distance and perks up)
Sokka: Maybe we haven't failed after all!
Zuko: That's the spirit! I can't believe that worked. I didn't even know what I was saying.
Sokka: No, what you said made no sense at all, but look! It's Suki!
- When Zuko and Suki meet, Sokka cheerfully says "Oh good, you guys have met." Leading to...Suki: Actually, we met a long time ago.
Zuko: We did?
Suki: Yeah. You...kind of burned down my village.
Sokka: [covers face with one hand]
Zuko: Oh... sorry about that. Nice to see you again. [slips out of frame]
- Chit-Sang, the Big Guy of the Boiling Rock episodes, pulls a great You Make Me Sic moment:Zuko: Hey! Watch who you're shoving!
Chit-Sang: I think you mean WHOM I'm shoving!
Chit-Sang: I know you two are hatching an escape plan!
Sokka: The only thing we're hatching is.... an egg?
Chit-Sang: Well, count me in too, or the warden hears about this... egg, too.
- When the first escape attempt is foiled, this exchange immediately occurs:Warden: Get the fugitives and throw them in the cooler![A guard operating a nearby harpoon launcher turns to the warden]Guard: Uh... they are in a cooler, sir.Warden: One that's bolted down, and not floating in the water!
- "My dad doesn't have a nose ring!"
The Boiling Rock Part 2
- Chit Sang's instant riot.Chit Sang: [Picks up a random guy and starts shaking him above his head] HEY! RIOT!
- This immediately following Hakoda's failed attempt to start a riot, after the prisoner Hakoda targeted turned out to be completely non-aggressive. Doubly so because the same non-aggressive guy immediately gets into the action.Non-Aggressive Inmate: Forget about controlling my anger! LET'S RIOT! [promptly gets tackled to the ground by another inmate]
- The inmate's reaction to being pushed is great in itself. The contrast between him being a huge, intimidating-looking guy with a huge scar on his face and:Non-Aggressive Inmate: Hey! What'd you do THAT for? That hurt my feelings!
- This immediately following Hakoda's failed attempt to start a riot, after the prisoner Hakoda targeted turned out to be completely non-aggressive. Doubly so because the same non-aggressive guy immediately gets into the action.
- The warden singling Hakoda out for abuse, only to be stubbornly ignored. Once he does look the warden in the eye, Hakoda trips him up with his handcuffs.
- Back in 'The Serpent's Pass', Suki gets Sokka to recognise her by kissing him. When he walks into Suki's cell, he tries the same thing in reverse. Except that with his visor covering his face, Suki does not recognise him and so punches Sokka into the door. Even better, when he's later delighted to find his dad he starts talking to Hakoda with his helmet still on. Hakoda thinks it's a random guard taking the piss and almost punches him;Sokka: "Yeah, I ran into that problem earlier."
- Sokka's Bavarian Fire Drill:Sokka: "Hey, the warden says to let all the prisoners into the yard."
Guard: "But we're in lockdown."
Sokka: "Oh, okay; I'll just tell the Warden you said that. I'm sure he'll love to hear about your undermining his authority. What was your name again?"
- Chit Sang's super casual introduction to the Gaang, in the middle of Suki and Hakoda's emotional reunions. "I'm new. What's up, everybody?"
- After Suki captures the warden, Hakoda gives his stamp of approval to Sokka.Hakoda: That's some girl.
The Southern Raiders
- Zuko's "unfortunate" timing for his talk with Sokka.Sokka: (in a sultry voice) Well, hellooo- MMPH! Zuko, yes! Why would I be expecting anyone different? (swallows the rose)
- Zuko asks why Katara hates him even after he's changed so much.Zuko: Your sister. She hates me! And I don't know why, but I do care what she thinks of me.
Sokka: Nah, she doesn't hate you. Katara doesn't hate anyone. Except maybe some people in the Fire Nation. (Zuko's face falls and Sokka catches his mistake) No, I mean, uh, not people who are good, but used to be bad. I mean, bad people. Fire Nation people who are still bad, who've never been good and probably won't be, ever!
- Also Sokka playing with a lei the next morning: he got lei'd and took Suki's flowers.
- More like she took his.
- In the midst of Katara's emotional maelstrom, we get this exchange between Aang and Sokka:Sokka: "You know, you're pretty wise for a kid."
Aang: "Thanks, Sokka!"
Sokka: "Usually it's annoying, but this time I'm really impressed."
Aang: "I appreciate that."
Sokka: "So, can I borrow Momo for a week?"
Aang: "Why do you want to borrow Momo?"
- Katara asks Aang if she can borrow Appa.Aang: (jokingly) Why? Is it your turn to take a little field trip with Zuko?
Katara: Yes, it is.
Aang: So you were just gonna take Appa anyway?
- At night, Katara and Zuko attempt to take Appa anyway.
Aang: It's okay, because I forgive you. (Beat) That give you any ideas?
- When Aang asks Katara if it's her turn to take a field trip with Zuko, watch Katara's expression: she lifts one eyebrow as though secretly wondering "How did he know?"
- Before they leave, Aang sends the two off with some wisdom, telling them to not choose revenge and to instead forgive the man.Zuko: Okay, we'll be sure to do that, guru goody-goody.
- When Katara and Zuko take off, Sokka compliments Aang for being so wise at a young age, then immediately turns it into a Backhanded Compliment by pointing out how it's usually annoying. He also asks if he can borrow Momo for a week and when a confused Aang asks why he simply shrugs his shoulders and hums "I don't know."
The Ember Island Players
- When... well, basically just the whole episode, actually. (Except for the Mood Whiplashes. Neither Zuko nor Aang are amused.)
- Sokka lampshading the entire episode as a wacky side adventure like they used to have.
- This exchange:Actor Sokka: Why did you have to steal that waterbending scroll?
Actor Katara: [sniff] It just gave me so much hope! Ahhauu!
- "HONOOOOOOR!" (drops through a trap door and "dies")
- And for Aang... "NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo."
- Then it's Zuko and Aang's reactions to the way the play depicts their deaths.
- "Wait! What's that? I think it's your honor!" "WHERE?"
- In the play, Zuko captures the Avatar, but then the Blue spirit enters, fights and defeats ...Zuko. Take a look at the real Aang and Zuko's reactions.
- "My hero!".
- "Avatar State! Yip yip!"
- "No! It is YOU who are going down!"
- "Zuko, it's time we had a talk... about your hair! It's gone too far!"
- "My heart is so full of hope that it's making me tearbend!"
- "My stomach is so empty that it's making me tearbend!"
- Sokka got way too involved in pretty much the whole play, leading to quite a few funny moments. Some good examples include informing Aang what he "missed" while he was outside (despite the fact that obviously Aang should know what actually happened), and sneaking backstage to give Actor-Sokka some better jokes.
- Sokka goes up to Actor!Sokka with suggestions as to what he would say. The fact that Actor!Sokka likes the suggestions just makes that whole scene funnier.
- Before that, when Sokka asks if Suki can help him get him backstage:
- Also, from the departure scene:(After they kiss)
Actor!Sokka: ...did you have pickled fish for dinner?
Actress!Yue: Goodbye, Sokka. I have important moon duties to take care of...and yes, I did have pickled fish.
- After that, we have Sokka getting emotionally involved in the shoddily executed scene of Yue's departure. Also sad too considering that a shoddy scene made him emotional.
- "I see everything that you see, except I don't see like you do. I release a sonic wave from my mouth. (loud banshee-esque shriek, whole theatre takes cover) There. I got a pretty good look at you."
- Made even better by Toph's incredibly happy face◊.
- The thing's made 10x better by the expressions in the audience. Virtually everyone is wincing from the 'sonic scream' (even the actors, though they're hiding it), including our Gaang... then cut to Toph, who has that face.
- "It is over. Unless....THIS IS THE FUTURE."
- "The scar's NOT on the wrong side!" [angrily pulls hood over head]
- It's even funnier when you remember the animation errors in previous episodes, where Zuko's scar was on the wrong side.
- Zuko's reaction to Jet's final scene.Zuko: Did Jet just... die?
Sokka: You know, it was really unclear.
- The death scene itself, since it's preceded by Jet's actor staggering around with Mind-Control Eyes moaning, "Must...serve...Earth King!" and the death involves having a stage rock fall on him...except he's left partly sticking out from under it and has to pull his legs under before it settles into place.
- Zuko and Katara's reactions to the Ember Island Players' suggestions of Zutara.
- Choose treachery! It's more fuuuun!
- No Way!
- After that, we have this From Actor!Zuko:
- When "Toph" shows up....well, "she's" pretty much exactly what Toph is. And the best part is that Toph is delighted.Toph: I wouldn't have cast it any other way! At least I'm not a flying bald lady. (cuts to Aang, who is furious who then faces the camera with said reaction)
- Also, the moment Zuko sees who is playing Toph; he's in such disbelief he drops whatever he was reading.
- When the Gaang gets to The Great Divide.Aang: Look! It's the Great Divide, the biggest canyon in the Earth Kingdom.
Sokka: Eh, let's keep flying.
- The re-enactment of Azula striking Aang down with lightning, only this time with ribbons and the same epic downer music.
- Directly after Toph and Zuko's heartwarming moment.(Toph elbows Zuko hard)
Zuko: Ow! What was that for!?
Toph: That's how I show affection.
- This:Zuko: They made me look totally stiff and humorless.
Katara: Actually, I think that actor's pretty spot on.
Zuko: How could you say that?!
Actor Iroh: Let's forget about the Avatar, and get massages.
Actor Zuko: HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?! (Katara grins, and Zuko pouts)
- During the first intermission:Sokka: Apparently, the playwright thinks I'm an idiot who tells bad jokes about meat all the time!
Suki: Yeah. You tell bad jokes about plenty of other topics!
Sokka: I KNOW!
Katara: Relax, Aang. They're not accurate portrayals. It's not like I'm a preachy crybaby who can't resist giving over-emotional speeches about hope all the time. (Everyone looks at her) What?
- And later, in the same conversation:
Aang: Yeah... that's not you at all.
- And during another intermission:Katara: I know it's upsetting, but it sounds like you're overreacting.
Aang: Overreacting!? If I hadn't blocked my chakra, I'd probably be in the Avatar State right now!
- And of course, this exchange after the play is over:Zuko: That wasn't a good play.
Aang: I'll say.
Katara: No kidding.
Toph: You said it.
Sokka: But the effects were decent!
Sozin's Comet Part 1: The Phoenix King
- As everyone's relaxing on the beach, Sokka starts building something as Suki watches. Her expression as this happens goes from adoring when Sokka's looking to baffled and slightly nervous when he isn't.
- While training to defeat the Fire Lord (using a dummy called the Melon Lord), after Sokka outlines the battle plan.Toph: What about me?
Sokka: For now, you're the Melon Lord's forces.
Toph: So I get to chuck flaming rocks at all of you?
Sokka: Whatever makes the training feel more realistic.
- "I am not Toph! I AM MELONLORD! [Evil Laugh]"
- This one moment where Sokka takes stupidity to a new level. When Toph points out Momo is gone as well.Toph: Hey, wait a minute, has anyone noticed that Momo's missing too?
Sokka: Oh no! I knew it was only a matter of time. Appa ate Momo! (starts climbing into Appa's mouth) Momo, I'm coming for ya, buddy!
Katara: Sokka, Appa didn't eat Momo. He's probably with Aang.
Sokka: That's just what Appa wants you to think.
Zuko: Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka!
- Gets funnier with a touch of heartwarming when you remember Sokka wanted to eat Momo when they first met.
- Even funnier is that he then gets into Appa's mouth and tries to convince the others about it. While everyone's discussing searching for Aang, in the background we see Sokka being spat out, covered in saliva. He gets up, wiping himself off, and then falls back into it again.
- Toph's insistence on going with Zuko to search for Aang because "everyone else got a magical, life-changing field trip with him!"
- Made even funnier by Zuko blushing as she hugs him.
- And the way she deliberately tries to make it life-changing by bringing up her emotional baggage in the hope it'll trigger something. It doesn't.
- Toph's quick moment of in-universe shipping:Katara: I have a surprise for everyone!
Toph: I KNEW IT! You DID have a secret thing with Haru! [grin]
Everyone else: [WTF looks and music cue]
Katara: ...Um, no.
- When it's decided that the rest of the Gaang will help Aang fight Ozai, a group hug is initiated...except for Zuko, who's never been into that stuff, even after joining the good guys. Katara calls Zuko over, and as he reluctantly does so, Appa decides that he wants to join the group hug too!
- As Katara and Suki are looking for Aang, they hear a crowd chanting his name. They immediately run to said crowd... and see Actor!Aang riding on Actor!Toph's shoulders. Their faces afterwards are what really sells it.
- Aang trying to come up with ideas to defeat Ozai without killing him.Aang: Maybe we could make some big pots of glue, and then I could use glue-bending to stick his arms and legs together so he can't bend anymore!
Zuko: Yeah! And then you can show him his baby pictures and all those happy memories will make him good again!
Aang: Do you really think that would work?
Sozin's Comet Part 2: The Old Masters
- The show's Mix-and-Match Critters are always good for a laugh, but easily the funniest is an off-hand reference Aang makes to "the spider-fly, caught in its own web!"
- Avatar Extras notes that the spider-fly is the most contradictory animal in the Avatar universe.
- Paku breaks the news that he's rekindle with Kana and made her a new betrothal necklace. Sokka looks absolutely shocked while Katara is happy for this news.Paku: It's polite to bow to your master, but how about a hug for your new grandfather? [...]
Sokka: (glomps Paku and rubs his cheek against his) Welcome to the family, Gramp-Gramp!
Paku: (annoyingly pushes Sokka off) You can still call me Paku.
Soka: How about... Grand-Paku!
Paku: (Beat) No.
- Just about anything Bumi ever says is guaranteed to split at least one person's sides:Bumi: Wait! Someone's missing from your group! Someone very important. (Beat) Where's Momo?
Sokka (with Bumi right in his face): He's gone. And so is Aang.
Bumi: Oh, well, so long as they have each other, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about.
- When reminiscing how he reclaimed Omashu, Bumi earthbends some rocks and shoots them into the Ozai statue, making it into a goofy smile face, and he even stuck some up his nose.
- Zuko accidentally calling Ozai the Fatherlord.Toph: You mean, Fire Lord.
Zuko: That's what I said!
- When Aang is seeking guidance from his past lives:Avatar Kuruk: (surfing) I was more of a "go with the flow" kind of Avatar.
- June's snuggling with her Shirshu is oddly hilarious, especially when it attempts to lick her.
- June's snarking at Zuko, and his (and Katara's) reactions:June: "I see you made it up with your girlfriend."
Zuko: "SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!"
Katara: (same time) "I'M NOT HIS GIRLFRIEND!"
- When Zuko suggests Iroh as an alternative to face Ozai, he brings out an old sandal of his (complete with flies) for June's Shirshu to sniff. Why Zuko would even carry such a thing around in the first place after he left his father is just the first of many questions that need answering.
Sokka: (To Zuko) You saved your uncle's sweaty sandal?
- Even better, according to the Avatar Extras, that's the same sandal Zuko picked up in "Winter Solstice Part 1". He's been carrying that stinky sandal ever is since then.
Toph: I think it's kind of sweet.
Sozin's Comet Part 3: Into The Inferno
- While Azula's Sanity Slippage was mainly horrifying, there was this line:Azula: All right, hair, it's time to face your doom!
- When Sokka dumps an entire Fire Nation airship's crew into the ocean after luring them to the bomb bay under the guise of holding a birthday party for a crew member. Made even funnier by the hilarious coincidence that it actually was someone's birthday.Crew Member: I can't believe the captain remembered my birthday! He really does care!
Other Crew Member: (after being dumped into the ocean) Happy birthday.
- Plus the awkward conversation between two people from different sections who've never met.Quin Lee: Hey, I'm Quin Lee. I work up in communications.
Crew Member: I work in the engine room...that's probably why we never met before.
- Earlier, when Toph knocks on the door, using the last beat in the shave-and-a-haircut rhythm to smash it off its hinges.
- Later during that scene, after Aang begins his battle with Ozai, Sokka has a few shifts in his mood:Sokka: Go, Aang! Airbending slice! (makes chopping action)
Suki: Shouldn't we be helping him?
Sokka: (thinks about it for a second and gets serious) The Fire Lord is Aang's fight. We need to stop those airships from destroying the Earth Kingdom.
Toph: (as Sokka moves to look out the window towards the airships behind him) And how do we do that, Captain Boomerang? I can't see outside this giant hunk of metal.
Sokka: (turns back to the others gleefully, making another chopping motion) Airship slice!!
Toph clears a room full of soldiers.
- And when Toph thinks Sokka is telling her, the girl who's completely blind, to fly the airship when he was actually talking to Suki.
Toph: That's how it's done!
Sokka: Good work, Toph! Time to take control of the ship, take the wheel.
Toph: That's a great idea! Let the blind girl steer the giant airship!
Sokka: I was talking to Suki.
Toph: beat That would make a lot more sense.
- During the midst of Azula's ultimate descent into insanity, there's this bit with Azula talking to Li and Lo that almost counts as Mood Whiplash:Azula: (points to Li) Lo, you're banished. (to Lo) Li, you can stay. [Exit]
Li: But...I'm Li. So who's banished?
Azula: I sentence you two to Agni Kai.
- Which was immediately preceded by:
Lo and Li (in unison): But, we're not firebenders.
- Before even that, the crones suggest that, in light of Azula's rapidly deminishing sanity, the coronation be postponed, Azula angrily demands to know which one of them said it. The crones point at each other.
- Azula's whittling down of her subordinates by banishing them over the littlest issue. It's darkly funny in the same way Darth Vader ran through his admirals in The Empire Strikes Back.
Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang
- In the middle of the fight, Azula is in full psychotic mode but just before she blasts Katara with another lightning/fire cocktail, she just says "I'd really rather our family physician look after Little Zuzu if you don't mind." which is equally funny, heartwarming, and just a little sad.
- Mai and Ty Lee each get one in the finale, with oddly similar reactions.
- First, Mai reunites with Zuko, and after a short conversation abruptly does a Mood Whiplash and threatens "But don't you ever. Break up with me. AGAIN." Cue Zuko giving a nervous smile that just screams "I'm sorry, please don't kill me."
- Next, Ty Lee has joined the Kyoshi warriors and talks about how they'll be best friends forever. She then wraps two of them in a headlock hug. The two just smile as widely as possible just like her.
- Ozai's Oh, Crap! face, when being yelled at by the Avatar for the crimes he's committed, makes it look like he's crapping his pants in fear. While it sounds like it makes you laugh in the "pure Narm" sense, it really makes you laugh in the "Oh hell, he knows he's screwed now" sense.
- Before, when he looks down into the rubble where Aang lay, in the midst of a grandiose and bombastic speech...which is cut off with a loud "gyack!" when Aang's hand shoots up and snatches Ozai by the goatee.
- Suki walking up to and pointing at Ozai, slumped against a rock, and wondering whether Aang killed him. The Phoenix King raises his head to inform her; "I'm still alive."
- There's also Suki's failed attempt at taunting him, made even better by Ozai's face, which just screams "Defeated and humiliated by a bunch of kids...this is the worst day of my life."
- Made even better by the completely poleaxed expression on his face and the fact that he's drooling throughout a lot of this.
- He declares "I am the Phoenix King!" and promptly collapses.Toph: Oh, sorry, didn't mean to offend you, Phoenix King of Getting His Butt Whooped.
Suki: Yeah, or how about King of the...Guys Who Don't Win?
Toph: Leave the nicknames to us, honey.
- In the penultimate scene, Sokka is trying to create a group portrait, and once again gets criticized and ridiculed for his subpar drawing skills, topped off by one last appearance of the usage of Toph's blindness as a Running Gag.Katara: Wait why did you give me Momo's ears?
Sokka: Those are your hair loopies!
(Zuko, Mai and Suki gather round to have a look as well)
Zuko: At least you don't look like a boar-q-pine. My hair's not that spiky!
Mai: I look like a man.
Suki: And why did you paint me firebending?
Sokka: I thought it looked more exciting that way. (Momo squeaks at him) Oh, you think you can do a better job, Momo?
(Aang walks outside as Iroh and Toph join in the commotion)
Iroh: Hey, my belly's not that big anymore. I've really trimmed down!
Toph: Well, I think you all look perfect!
(everyone laughs, except Sokka, who seethes in frustration)