The Avatar State
- Iroh doesn't seem remotely worried even in the most life threatening situations, like in this fantastic monologue of his, while enjoying a massage..."Who knew that floating on a piece of drift wood for three weeks with no food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?"
- And all that Zuko is bothered about is that he's been banished for three years to the day.
- Iroh's attempt to cheer Zuko up falls flat:Iroh: I'm sure he doesn't [think you're worthless]! Why would he banish you if he didn't care? (Zuko leaves. Iroh looks to the attendants) ...that came out wrong, didn't it?
- Aang getting hopped up on tea. In normal benders, it increases their strength and energy tenfold, according to an Earth Kingdom general. Gilligan Cut to Aang Air Scootering circles around everyone present, all while asking rapidly "Is-it-working-is-it-working?-I-can't-tell-Someone-tell-me-if-I'm-in-the-Avatar-State-because-I-don't-really-have-a-good-view-of-myself-Am-I-talking-too-loud?".
The Cave of Two Lovers
- Meanwhile, in the B-plot.Zuko: If the Earth Kingdom finds us, they'll have us killed!
Iroh: But if the Fire Nation finds us, they'll hand us over to Azula.
Zuko: Earth Kingdom it is.
- Iroh's absolutely casual and unconcerned about the fact that he's just poisoned himself and when the rashes reach his throat, he will stop breathing. He's only cheerful about the fact that he's found the antidote, but then he thinks that it may be another species that causes blindness... And look at the shock on Zuko's face...you can't tell if he's more worried about his uncle's condition or rendered speechless by Iroh's attitude.
- Just before the White Jade plant's effects on Iroh is revealed, Zuko comes back from fishing with a huge spear, and nothing to show for it but the tiniest little fish wriggling on the end of it.
- Aang's dreamy "Us...kissing..." and the ensuing discussion. "If it was a choice between kissing you and dying...."
- "Don't let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown!"
- The Gilligan Cut for when the group tries flying instead of using the secret cave tunnel.Sokka: (singed and deadpan) Secret Love Cave, let's go.
- Immediately before that, there's a scene with the three of them screaming as the Fire Nation attacks them. Momo has the exact same face as everyone else.
- We have this gem when the pursuing Fire Nation soldiers refuse to enter the cave. They apparently sing hippie love songs during music night.Soldier: It's too dangerous! Haven't you heard the song?
- After a cave-in in the titular cave.Chong: It's no use; we're separated. But at least you have us!
- Sokka asks how long the torches last.Chong: Uh, about two hours each.
Lily: We have five torches so that's... (lights all the torches at once) ten hours!
Sokka: (grabbing the torches and stomping them out with his feet) It doesn't work like that if they're all lit up at the same time!
Lily: Ohhh, right.
- Her response?
- Sokka and the nomads charming the badger moles with music.
- After they get out of the tunnel:Sokka: How did you guys get out?
Aang: Just like the legend says. We let love lead our way!
Sokka: Really? We let huge, ferocious beasts lead our way.
- Also, Zuko and Iroh at the Earth Kingdom infirmary, where they meet Song and come up with their fake names.Song: So, where are you traveling from?
Zuko: Yes, we're travelers.
Song: Do you have names?
Zuko: Names? Of course we have names!
Song notices Iroh scratching himself, and slaps his hand away
Zuko: I'm... Lee, and this is my uncle, uh... Mushi.
Iroh glares at him
Iroh: Yes, my nephew was named after his father, so we just call him Junior.
Zuko is furious and gives the Off with Your Head Gesture, but then stiffens back up when Song turns around to look at him
- The fake name Zuko gives Iroh is even funnier when you realize that in Japanese, "mushi" means insect.
- The "secret tunnel" song.
- Nomad: Uh... I forgot the next line, but then it goes: SECRET TUNNEL!!!!! Secret Tunnel!!!
- "Annnnnd... DIIIIIIEE."
- Nomad: Uh... I forgot the next line, but then it goes: SECRET TUNNEL!!!!! Secret Tunnel!!!
- Chong figures out something very important as Sokka let them out of the cave.Katara: Why's your forehead all red?
Chong: Nobody react to what I'm about to tell you... but I think that kid might be the Avatar.
Sokka: (Face Palm)
- When Sokka discovers the tunnels are changing:Chong: "The tunnels; they're a changin'! I knew we shouldn't have come in here!"
Return to Omashu
- Azula's plan to get Ty Lee to come with her.Azula: What kind of dangerous animals do you have?... Release them all!
- The rather inspired "pentapox" plague, particularly the soldiers' reactions to it.Pentapox?! I've heard of that...
Mai's father: Pentapox? Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure I've heard of that.
- When word gets to Mai's parents.
- Aang freeing Flopsy.Aang: (hopping onto Flopsy's back) Yip-yip! (Beat) I... guess that doesn't work for you.
- During the prisoner exchange, Bumi acts throughout like he's having the time of his life, including nodding in cheerful agreement when Azula decides to go back on the deal.
- Aang thinks he lost Azula and sighs in relief, only to see her hop right back up from her box and he uses his staff like he's rowing to move faster.
- Bumi ends up stopping Azula's chase by bending with his face.Aang: You could earthbend?! All along?!
Bumi: (cheerfully) Well, they didn't cover my face!
- Aang learning that, in addition to positive and negative jing, there is also neutral jing.Aang: There are three jings?
Bumi: Well, technically, there are 85, but let's just focus on the third...
- Bumi laughing madly as he earthbends himself back up the slide.
- At the beginning of the episode, Zuko and Iroh are asking for money. When one guy offers them a gold piece in exchange for entertainment, Iron attempts to entertain the man with a song and dance. The man, unamused, pulls out his sword and starts slashing under Iroh's feet to get him to do a panic dance. This wouldn't be funny in most circumstances, but Iroh continuing to sing while it is happening as if it isn't a big deal makes it hilarious.Man: Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner. Here you go.
Iroh: Such a kind man.
- From an animation standpoint, there's Iroh's mouth shapes as he sings. Seems the animator got a little carried away...
- Sokka's elbow leech.Katara: Sokka, you got an elbow leech.
Sokka: (freaking out with a leech on his elbow) Where, where?!
Katara: Where do you think?
Sokka: Why do things keep attaching to me?!
- The swamp hicks are always good for a laugh.Due: (to Appa and Momo) Come on, now little fellas. Just a little closer. Nice an' easy. Nothing to worry about, we just fixin' to eat ya'. (Appa turns tail and flees)
Tho: What ya say that fer?
Due: Well we are!
Tho: But you don't have to tell them that!
Due: Well how'd I know they'd understand me?
- Katara and the swamp benders realizing they're both bending water.Katara: Hey! You guys are waterbenders!
Due: You too? That means we kin!
Katara: (her face scrunches in disgust)
- The swamp benders ask what the South pole is like, and ask if they have a nice swamp down there.Katara: No, it's all ice and snow.
Tho: ... Hmm. No wonder you left.
- Aang, Sokka and Katara get jump-scared. The boys immediately go into a Security Cling on either side of Katara.◊
- Any time the focus is on Momo and Appa is bound to get some laughs.
- Sokka pulling a bubble pipe out of Hammerspace and Katara asking "Where'd you get that?"
- Sokka's detective outfit was Made of Win. Not only the pipe, but a hat with a little set of magnifying glasses on a track around the brim! He's a freaking contextually-consistent Sherlock Holmes parody. And guess what? That hat is based on a real kind of Korean hat◊.
Sokka: Special outfit, hat and pipe, these things mean anything to you?
- When Katara begins to deduce things ahead of Sokka, she ends up gaining the ire of her brother. The sheer amount of deadpan on Katara's face as Sokka "solves" the case really sells it.
- When Katara finally manages to solve the case, Sokka shoves her out of the way to take the credit. Katara responds by deftly snatching Sokka's pipe and whacking him over the head with it, all in one move.
- When the Wheel! Of! Torture! comes out.Mayor Tong: Eaten by bears!
Katara: (looking ready to pull her hair loopies out) Community service! Please say community service!!
- When the Fire Nation begins their attack on the town:Mayor Tong: You! Avatar! Do something!
Aang: (amusedly) Gee, I'd love to help, but I'm supposed to be boiled in oil.
Mayor Tong: (moves Wheel of Torture from "Boil in Oil" to "Community Service") There! Community service! Now serve our community and get rid of those rhinos!
- Aang's reaction to the giant effigy of himself:Aang: "That's the biggest me I've ever seen!"
- During Aang's stint in the prison, he is put in restraints that are clearly wide enough for him to slip his arms and head out off. After Sokka and Katara leave, a bald, tattooed man menacingly says that Aang'll fit in just fine... When we next see them, Aang and several other prisoners are sitting around, civilly discussing his feelings for Katara.
- During the conversation, he casually slips out of his restraints and continues like nothing happened. He probably could have done that at any point earlier in the episode, and only chose now to do it.
- He does slip out of his handcuffs another time, in front of the judge! Even funnier, he looks rather embarrassed about it and puts them back on!
- In desperation, Sokka and Katara dress Aang up in Kyoshi's old clothes and makeup (leaving him utterly swamped in an outfit much too big for him) and invite the previous Avatar to serve as witness. Everyone's very surprised when Kyoshi does manifest — and bluntly says that she did kill Chin 'the Conqueror'. In her flashback when she has her standoff with Chin, first she uses her airbending to blow everything but his underwear off, then when she creates Kyoshi Island out of the peninsula, Chin falls to his death because he was too busy having a tantrum to get away from the crumbling cliff edge. Finally Kyoshi disappears again, leaving Aang behind to face the music.Aaang: So, what just happened?
Katara: Uhhh...you kind of confessed. Sorry.
- "Boomerang! You DO always come back!"
- The ending, when they're celebrated as heroes... which means they get to eat something quite disgusting that looks like soggy gingerbread men; it's raw cake dough to celebrate the day they didn't cook the Avatar in oil.Sokka: This is by far the worst town we've ever been to.
The Blind Bandit
- This exchange:The Boulder: The Boulder feels conflicted about fighting a young, blind girl.
Toph: Sounds to me like you're scared, Boulder!
The Boulder: (beat) The Boulder is over his conflicted feelings and is now ready to bury you in a ROCK-ALANCHE!
Toph: Whenever you're ready, The Pebble! (mischievous laugh)
- Toph using earthbending under one of the The Boulder's feet to split his legs, and the Boulder's painful reaction◊. As well as when she uses earthbending again to send the Boulder slamming into the side of the stadium.
- Sokka's line here:Katara: (about Toph) She's not really blind. It's just part of her character right?
Aang: I think she is.
Sokka: I think she is... GOING DOWN!
- When Sokka whispers "water tribe."
- When Sokka gives Toph her championship belt back, he tosses it to her (it takes the Gaang until somewhere in season 3 to consistently remember she's blind). The belt whacks her right on the head.
- Xin Fu slams his fist on the wall in rage after being told that the "Blind Bandit" took a dive (Read: got hit by airbending). A suitably dramatic fall of rocks occur. Then one of them hits him in the foot.
- Just about every time Toph's blindness is played for laughs.
- During the Gaang's dinner with the Beifongs, Aang makes it rather clear to Toph that he wants her to be his Earthbending teacher, and points out how strong she is. Her response is to kick Aang from a distance (by kicking the ground with Earthbending), causing him to slightly jump out of his chair. She does it again later, but instead causes him to slam head first into his bowl. Now annoyed, Aang finds a way to get back at her: Airbending-enhanced sneezing that literally causes Master Yu, Poppy, and Toph's food to fly right into their faces.
- It's a minor one, but when everyone is cheering Aang for winning against Toph is the tournament, Sokka is so happy he outright hugs Xin Fu.
- After Toph is kidnapped by Xin Fu, her mother is seen worrying about her, leading to...Poppy: Poor Toph, she must be so scared...
Toph: (cut to her suspended in a cage) You think you're so tough?! Why don't you come up here so I can slap that grin off your face?!
Xin Fu: (completely deadpan) I'm not smiling.
- During the match against Toph, Aang tries talking to her. It goes over poorly with the crowd.Sokka: BOOOOO! NO TALKING!
Katara: Don't boo at him!
- After a pair of Earth Kingdom boys rudely refuse to tell Aang where Earth Rumble Six is being held, Katara goes after them, then comes back a moment later with the answer.Aang: "How did you get them to tell you?"Katara: (coyly) "Oh, a girl has her ways."(cut to the two guys frozen to a wall by their feet)
- This shot◊ almost makes up for the crushing depressitude that made up the rest of the episode. Just look at how smug Azula looks, not to mention Zuko's dorky panicfais.Ursa: ...You're soaking wet.
Zuko: Girls are crazy!!
- From the same episode, right at the beginning of the Wild West Showdown between Zuko and the Earth Kingdom soldiers, Zuko starts to unsheathe his sword. When a thug rushes him, he knocks him back using the movement. He then resheathes the sword, since he obviously doesn't need it.
- This exchange during the CMOH where Zuko gives Lee his pearl dagger.Zuko: Read the inscription.
Lee: (confused) Made in Earth Kingdom?
Zuko: Uh, the other one.
- When Zuko is fighting the soldiers, the townspeople cheer him on:Man: Give him a left! A left!
Woman: It's not a fistfight!
Man: He's got a left sword, don't he?
- This:Sokka: This (points to his hair) is a warrior's wolf-tail!
Katara: Well, it certainly tells the other warriors that you're fun and perky!
- Given the choice between capturing the Avatar or attacking her brother, Azula's first move in the fight is to attack Zuko.
- During the fight, Azula almost falls down a gaping hole in a building, but regains her balance at the last second. Then Zuko rushes in, screaming in a Hot-Blooded manner, right into the hole. Aang's "Oooh, that had to hurt!" expression watching this is priceless.
- Also: "CLUMPS! They're clumps!".
- The way she hugs Mai after that makes it even cuter and funnier.
- Ty Lee vs. a weary and sleep-deprived Sokka. Sokka gets pathetically curb-stomped, until "Ouch!" [glare] And later, "Is it just me, or was that guy kinda cute?"
- And Sokka's forehead turning out to be immune to chi blocking. "Good try, but no."
- Toph and Iroh's little tea party, while heartwarming and cute, does have its fair share of hilarious exchanges.Iroh: You seem a little too young to be travelling alone.
Toph: You seem a little too old.
Iroh: (bursts out laughing) Perhaps I am.
- And Toph's completely cranky and tired expression, contrasting with Iroh's merry demeanor.
- "I'M COMPLETELY CALM!!"◊
- Before that, Toph making herself a tent via Earthbending just so she could slam the door in Katara's face.
- Azula trying to make Aang guess who she is by imitating Zuko:Azula: (covering one side of her face and putting on a deep voice) I must find the Avatar to restore my honor!
Aang: (absolutely no reaction)
Azula: It's okay, you can laugh. It's funny!
- It may be a short one, but the way Toph's voice squeaks when she yells her Big "WHAT?!" is hilarious.
- At one point, the Gaang tries to fight back against Azula, Mai and Ty Lee, leading to a double My Friends... and Zoidberg moment from Toph:Toph: We can take 'em! Three on three!
Sokka: Actually, Toph, there's four of us.
Toph: Oh, I'm sorrry, I didn't count you. You know, no bending and all.
Sokka: I can still fight!
Toph: Okay. Three... on three plus Sokka.
- It gets funnier when you remember Ty Lee and Mai can't bend either.
- Later, when Zuko appears out of nowhere on an ostrich-horse;Azula: I was wondering when you'd show up, Zuzu.
Aang: Pff... Zuzu?
- Sokka is stuck neck deep in a crack while a baby moose-lion looks on (long story) and after making friends with it, it brings (the very hungry) Sokka an apple. Sokka struggles with his neck and hands and manages to toss his boomerang out next to the apple. What sells it is his reaction:(deadpan) Now come back, boomerang.
- "Haha, rock beats airbender!" Sokka looks like an overgrown caterpillar when he says it.
- The exchange that followed later on in this episode, where Sokka eventually grew so desperate for rescue that he was ready to renounce carnivorism. Nevertheless, he is rescued immediately after;Sokka: Okay, Karma person or thing whoever's in charge of this stuff, if I can just get out of this situation alive, I will give up meat, and sarcasm. Okay? That's all I got. It's pretty much my whole identity, Sokka, the meat and sarcasm guy, but I'm willing to be Sokka the veggies and straight talk fellow. Deal?
Sokka: Aang! Thank goodness! Have you got any meat?
- And, immediately after, Aang and Sokka hold a conversation where Sokka literally spouts nothing but sarcastic remarks.
- This sequence.Sokka: Aang, this is my good friend Fufucuddlypoops. Fufucuddlypoops, Aang.Aang Aw, what a cute name for a little baby saber-toothed moose lion cub.Sokka: Really? He looks nothing like a saber-tooth moose-lion.Aang It's hard to tell before their giant teeth and horns grow in. What are you doing out here little guy? Did you lose your mama?
- Cue extremely large and angry saber-tooth moose-lion mother and epic Oh, Crap! faces.
- Aang apparently marks his snacks with crudely drawn pictures of himself.
- This little gem by Iroh and Zuko.Zuko: Now, I know what you're going to say: she's my sister, and I should try to get along with her—
Iroh: No. She's crazy, and she needs to go down.
- Right before then, after Iroh drinks Zuko's... poor imitation of his tea, he admits that it's "bracing." Then Zuko gives him another cup, and the instant Zuko looks down at his own cup, Iroh chucks it out the window over his shoulder. A tiny moment but utterly hilarious.
- And, of course, Toph's line, "That's not the only delicate instrument around here."
- This dialogue:Iroh: You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you.
Zuko: What turmoil?!
- Iroh doing the wave with his arms, trying to tell Zuko to loosen up.
- This line, when Iroh is explaining to Zuko the significance of qi.Iroh: The stomach is the source of energy in your body. It is called the "Sea of Qi.... Only in my case, it is more like a vast ocean.
- Professor Zei (Head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se University) had some of the best parts:Professor Zei: According to legend it [the library] was built by the great knowledge spirit Wan Shi Tong, with the help of his foxy knowledge seekers.
Sokka: Oh, so this spirit has attractive assistants, huh?
Katara: I think he means they look like actual foxes, Sokka.
Professor Zei: You're both right. Handsome little creatures!
- Very soon afterwards:Sokka: Then it's settled. Aang, I believe it's my turn. I'd like to spend my vacation AT THE LIBRARY!!!
- Then shortly after that:Professor Zei: Tell me, sky bison, are you the last of your breed?
Appa: (Grumbles "Yes".)
Professor Zei: Delightful! I only wish I spoke his tongue! Oh, the stories this beast could tell...
Momo: (Starts to chatter at him in his own lemur tongue, in response to what the professor said.)
Professor Zei: Shush, chatty monkey.
- Toph: "There it is!"Everyone then goes to look to see nothing there.
Toph: That's what it'll sound like when one of you spots it.
She waves her hand in front of her face to remind everyone that she's blind.
- Zei's reaction to the (buried) library.Professor Zei: (distraught) THE LIBRARY IS BURIED!? My life's ambition is now full of sand!
(one second later)
Professor Zei: (cheerfully pulls out a tiny trowel) Well. Time to start excavating.
- The best thing about Professor Zei is that he's voiced by Raphael Sbarge, aka Carth, Scorch, or Kaidan. Just hearing him is hilarious.
- One of the best moments is when Aang says that Appa can stay with Toph while they go into the library. They both look at each other, then look away, and then look back, before Toph casually says "What's up?"
- One of the funniest lines is the nonchalant, sarcastic Owl-spirit who created and watches over the library talking to Sokka.Wan Shi Tong: If you're going to lie to an all-knowing spirit being, you should at least put some effort into it.
- It says a lot about Hector Elizondo's deadpan delivery that even "You're not very bright, are you?" sounds funny.
- And then:Katara: Got something against libraries?
Toph: I've held books before and I gotta tell you, they don't exactly do it for me.
Toph: Let me know if they have something you can listen to!
- And then:
- Wan Shi Tong says that, for the Gaang and Professor to browse the library, they must each contribute to it. The Professor offers up one of his tomes, and Katara gives one of her waterbending scrolls; the owl accepts these gladly. Aang... pulls out his wanted poster from a while back.Wan Shi Tong: (exasperated) I suppose that counts. (takes it)
- Sokka one-ups him; lacking any reading material at all, he ties a string into a fancy knot and offers it. After a beat and calling him "not very bright", Wan Shi Tong still accepts it just to get rid of him.
- Another mention of Toph's blindness Played for Laughs:(While walking in the desert, making Toph's seismic sense useless)
Sokka: (is bumped into by Toph) Can't you watch where you're...
Sokka: Right... sorry.
- Drink cactus juice. "It's the quenchiest!"
- Pretty much the whole time Sokka is doing the Mushroom Samba is this."It's a... giant mushroom. MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!"
"FRIENDLY MUSHROOM!! MUSHY GIANT FRIEND!!!"
"Who lit Toph on fire?"
"Why don't we ask the CIRCLE BIRDS???"
"How did we get here in the middle of the ocean?"note
"Appa? Well what does Princess Yue need him for? She's the moon she flies by herself!"
Sokka: "You got it, Toph!" (beat) "She got it, right?"
- And later, when they're fighting the buzzard-wasps and he's almost-but-not-quite gotten over the cactus juice:
Sokka: ... I guess my head's not quite over that cactus juice as I thought it was.
- Don't forget he takes some swipes at the buzzard-wasps, but Katara quickly points out that there's nothing there.
- Despite hearing Sokka act so wacky and Momo literally face planting into the sand, Toph asks Katara if she could have some of that cactus juice. After Katara pulls Toph away, Sokka is still standing in place watching where Momo was only a few seconds ago!
- Not to mention his interactions with Momo, who has also sampled some of the cactus juice. "MOMO, NOOOO!!! YOU'VE KILLED US ALL!!!"Katara: Sokka, let me see the things you got from the library.
Sokka: What?! I didn't steal anything! Who told you that? (points accusingly at Momo) IT WAS YOU!!! YOU RATTED ME OUT!!!
(Momo promptly begins crying, as if in admittance)
- The Gaang gets ready to voyage again and Toph brings up something she misses.Toph: Yesterday my mouth tasted like mud, now it tastes like sand. Never thought I'd miss the taste of mud so much.
- Toph finally getting back on solid earth (sand doesn't count) and celebrating by making a snow angel in solid bedrock.Toph: Ahhhhhh, finally! (falls into the ground) Solid ground!
- And after Sokka's cactus juice high finally starts to fade he samples some miscellaneous ooze...Sokka: Uhhh... I feel woozy!
Katara: (irritated) You've been hallucinating on cactus juice all day and then you just lick something you find stuck to the wall of a cave?!
Sokka: I have a natural curiosity.
- Right before that, the exaggerated Squick reaction Sokka has to the taste of the gunk he licked off the cave wall.
- This exchange:Xin Fu: "Doesn't matter: she's wanted dead or alive."Master Yu: "No she's not! I'm quite certain her father wants her alive."
The Serpent's Pass
- In 'The Serpent's Pass', Iroh is on the deck of the refugee ship, looking very solemn.Iroh: Who would have thought, after all these years, I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace...(Puts on flowered hat and grins) as a tourist?
- The poor cabbage man has his wares destroyed by security, a platypus-bear because the lady explains that one worm in the cabbage could disrupt the entire balance of Ba Sing Se.Cabbage Man: NOOOOOOOO! MY CABBAGES!!!!
- He's so stiff from shock that the guards lift him up and he kneels in air.
- The other Avatars, especially the way Aang just nods in approval at them, as if to say "nice job, guys!"
- After Sokka pushes Suki away from a small avalanche, Toph bends the rocks so they slide away from Sokka. He then asks if Suki's okay and that she needs to be careful, completely ignoring Toph.Toph: ... "Thanks for saving my life, Toph." Hey, no problem, Sokka.
- Jet points out how the captain gets better food than the refugees, adding that he eats like a king. Iroh asks what kind of king and Jet replies: the fat and happy kind. Iroh's face drops and he drools.
- When the serpent appears, Sokka picks up Momo and holds him up and says, "Oh great and powerful Sea Serpent, please accept this humble and tasty offering. Thank you."
- Sokka tries to get Toph to cross the ice and get to safety.Toph: (feeling the ice with her feet) ... Actuallyyyy, I'm gonna stay on my little island where I can see. (serpent smashes its body a few feet away from her) AH!!! Okay, I'm coming!
Sokka: You're doing great! Just follow the sound, of my voice!
Toph: It's hard to ignore!
- There's also the bit when Toph falls in the water and Suki saves her.Toph: Oh Sokka! You saved me! [Kisses her on the cheek]Suki: Actually... it's me.Toph: Oh! Well! Haha... you can go ahead and let me drown now.
- While Katara delivers a baby:Sokka: This isn't the same as delivering an Arctic Seal! This is a real... human... thing!
- "So do you want to go see the baby, or are you gonna faint like an old lady again?"
- When Zuko notices that Iroh would give them away by firebending in public:Iroh: I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but... (sniffs) it's just so sad.
- When they go into the hole:Sokka: It's so dark in here. I can't see a thing!Toph: Oh no, what a nightmare.Sokka: Sorry.
- In a commentary video, Michael and Bryan joked that this was the easiest scene to animate for the episode.
- Sokka's plan.Sokka: Hey, I'm the plans and strategy guy, you are the slice and chop of stuff guys. Together, we're Team Avatar! (Katara and Aang look at each other dubiously)
- Azula's group find the Gaang just finishing their work.Ty Lee: You were right, Azula! It is the Avatar! ... And friends~.
Sokka: (waving at Ty Lee) Hey. (Katara grabs his arm)
- Mai's refusal to follow Katara and Sokka down the slurry drain, and her expression when Ty Lee follows and creates a large splash that she manages to avoid.
- Aang and Azula are fighting on top of the drill, when boulders start raining down on them.Aang: (shouting to the general on top of the wall) General Sung! Tell your men to stop throwing boulders down here!General Sung: Whatever you do, men, don't stop throwing boulders down there!
- Iroh sweet-talking the Gonky attendant to let them enter Ba Sing Se. It's made even better by Zuko's Face Palm and saying "I'm gonna forget I saw that."
- Sokka ordering Katara is finally getting on her last nerves.Sokka: You're doing great sister, keep it up! Don't forget to breathe!
Katara: You know what? I am about sick and tired of you telling me what to do! You're like a chattering hog-monkey!
Sokka: Just bend the slurry, woman! (Katara bends some slurry to flip Sokka over)
- During her fight with Katara and Toph on the drill, Ty Lee got covered in slurry. When they release the pressure, she slams face first into the small mound Toph made. Afterward, she's just wiped most of it off herself...and then Azula jumps down from the drill and accidentally splashes it all over her again when she lands.
- "We lost." Oh Mai! Your comedic timing is impeccable!
City of Walls and Secrets
- When they were on the train to Ba Sing Se:Sokka: Hey, don't jinx it ! We could still be attacked by some giant evil Fire Nation spoon, or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!
Toph: [deadpan] You been hitting the cactus juice again?
Sokka: I'm just saying, weird stuff happens to us!
- Then there was when the Earth King held a party for his bear. The humor came in the fact that the characters were confused not by the bear getting a party but by the fact that it was JUST a bear and not some weird mix.Katara: The king is throwing a party at the palace tonight for his pet bear.
Aang: Don't you mean platypus bear?
Katara: No, it just says "bear."
Sokka: Certainly you mean his pet skunk bear?
Toph: Or his armadillo bear?
Aang: Gopher bear?
Katara: Just... "bear."
Toph: This place is weird.
- Really, the fact that in the world of Avatar, it's not the strange combination of creatures that's exotic, but a regular old bear from our world that confuses the heck out of people that makes it all the more amusing.
- After Katara and Toph head out dolled up as noblewomen, apropos of nothing Momo walks across the screen wrapped in a curtain, complete with gong sound.
- "Lord Momo, of the Momo Dynasty. Your Momoness."
- "Oh, Avatar Aang, how you do go on."
- Then there's the bowing fight that ends up with Aang and Sokka knocking heads.
- At the party:(Bosco is eating everything in sight.)
Earth Kingdom Guy 1: He's taking all the good stuff!
Earth Kingdom Guy 2: Quiet! You don't know what I had to do to get seats this near the bear!
(Bosco jumps on table and continues devouring.)
- Iroh and Zuko get jobs at a tea shop, and Iroh samples some tea:Iroh: Bah! This tea is nothing more than hot leaf juice!
Zuko: Uncle, that's what all tea is.
Iroh: How could a member of my own family say something so horrible?!
- And just before that:Tea Shop Owner: Well, you certainly look like professional tea servers... How do you feel?
- Anything with Jet and Zuko. From the moment he meets him to the moment he is dragged off by the Dai Li, Jet is quite literally stalking Zuko. Made even funnier by how unnerved this makes Smellerbee and Longshot.
- At one point when Iroh's serving tea, a customer says that it's the best in the city. Iroh cheerfully says "The secret ingredient is love!" Zuko stares after him with a brief 'kill me now' expression.
- At the very beginning of Jet's attempt at outing Iroh and Zuko, which ends up being Cassandra Truth because he didn't really think it through:Jet: I know they're firebenders. I saw the old man heating his tea.
Soldier: ...he works in a tea shop.
Tales of Ba Sing Se
- "That's right, I'm Sokka, it's pronounced with an okka, young ladies, I rock ya!"That's one too many syllables there, bub.
- Plus the fact that a poetry club even has a huge, muscular bouncer.
- The haiku competition in general was funny, thanks to it being treated as such Serious Business.
- Toph's absolutely magnificent bed hair.
- The people at the spa trying to clean Toph's feet. It takes two people just to hold her down, then the room explodes. Also, Katara and Toph get a Cucumber Facial and Toph then used Earthbending to make the cucumbers stick out like alien eyestalks, terrifying one of the attendants.
- Iroh walks in on some kids who just broke a window during a game of earthbender soccer. He recommends that they tell the truth. Then, a giant man pokes his head out and starts making threats. At this, Iroh adds, "But not this time, run!", then takes off like a bat out of hell with the kids.
- Aang's story involves him moving a zoo. When the animals run amok, a rabaroo raids the cabbage cart.Cabbage Merchant: My cab-
(Rabaroo looks at him)
Cabbage Merchant: Oh, forget it!
- "Yes. I juggled."
- Pretty much the entirety of that segment, up until the end. Especially Zuko's hair.◊
- "It took my uncle ten minutes to do my hair!"
- Zuko and small talk don't really go together.Jin: So, what do you like to do for fun?Zuko: Nothing.
- During Momo's segment, he's being chased by a bunch of cats and runs into the middle of a group of performing monkeys, where someone slaps a hat on his head and throws him into the act. Momo immediately goes with it and begins dancing.
Appa's Lost Days
- While "Appa's Lost Days" was 80% Tear Jerker and 19% Heartwarming Moments, there's an absolutely hilarious moment when the leader of the sandbenders says they're going to sell Appa to "those beetle-headed merchants." That sounds like an insult about how stupid/gullible the merchants are...until they get to the merchants, whose hats, if you look closely, are shaped like beetles.
- The Guru's face when Appa licks him is pretty funny and he even notes he wasn't expecting anyone or being licked by a giant tongue.
- Sokka's posters.Sokka: Why, thank you! I worked really... why do you feel the need to do that?
- Later:Sokka: We'll split up to cover more area. Toph, I guess you should just come with me.
Toph: Why?! Because you think I can't put up posters on my own?
(snatches brush and smears glue on the wall, then SLAMS a poster against the wall backwards, in two swift movements)
...it's upside down, isn't it? ...I'll just go with Sokka.
- The conversation between the sponsors, tea shop owner, and Iroh in the teashop:Tea shop owner: Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you...assistant manager. Wait. Senior assistant manager.
(later, after sponsors promise lots of promises)
Tea shop owner: Uh, senior executive assistant manager?
Iroh: [hands teapot to the owner and accepts the promises]
Sponsor: [to Zuko] That's right, young man! Your life is about to change for the better.
Zuko: [deadpan] I'll try to contain my joy.
- When Aang finally gets fed up with all the rules in Ba Sing Se, he lets their tour guide know it, then declares that they're done following the rules. Toph's reaction to this? "Yeah! Let's break some rules!" Followed by her using Earthbending to blow up a side of their apartment building for no reason. (When they exit the building, they use the front door.) Even better, when they come back to the house in a later episode, someone's come along and put up scaffolding while they were gone.
- During Appa's fight against the Dai Li, Long Feng tries to take on the angry sky bison with a single kick. He's tossed across Lake Laogai faster than you can say "pebble skipping".
The Earth King
- The Gaang makes their case against Long Feng by bringing in Appa, with Aang sliding into two shots in a row like Bugs Bunny to point out how Appa's teeth and the bite mark on Long Feng's leg are the same shape. The Earth King says that they seem to be telling the truth (cut to the Gaang cheering), but this doesn't mean the rest of their accusations are true (cut to the Gaang looking depressed), but he thinks it's worth investigating (cut to the Gaang giving "That's... okay, I guess" gestures).
- The Earth King's first line, which is a brilliant use of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:Katara: You have to trust us!
Earth King: You invade my palace, lay waste to all my guards, break down my fancy door, and you expect me to trust you!?
Toph: He has a good point.
- "What's a Guru? Some kinda poisonous blowfish?"
- While the others deal with the Earth King's guards, Sokka searches for the Earth King himself, opening every door he finds. Behind one of them is a lone woman who, terrified, screams, "Burglar!" and tries to run away, but she immediately trips over her own feet and falls flat on her face. Sokka apologizes and moves on.
- A brilliant piece of pitch-black snark:Earth King: It's been a difficult week for me. My most trusted advisor Long Feng and his Dai Li agents tried to take control of Ba Sing Se from me.Azula (disguised as Suki): It's terrible when you can't trust the people who are closest to you.
- Which would go on to be an Ironic Echo, of all things.
- This exchange, mostly due to Brian George's delivery:Aang: My third chakra wants something besides onions and bananas.
Pathik: Ha ha, good one! Moving on.
- While opening the Fire Chakra:Pathik: Hmm... That chakra opened less like a flowing creek, and more like a... burping bison.
Aang: [belches] Tastes like onions and bananas, but strangely something else. ...Pickles? [beat, Pathik shrugs]
- After Toph invents metalbending and leaves her captors trapped inside her former prison:Xin Fu: I'm going to be stuck in here forever with you, aren't I?
Yu: I have to go to the bathroom.
Xin Fu: [slams head into wall in frustration]
- When the duo first see Toph has escaped:Yu: It's another one of her tricks!Xin Fu: There's a giant hole in the box! How is that a trick?
Crossroads of Destiny
- When Aang and Sokka return to Ba Sing Se in "The Crossroads of Destiny"Sokka: What's that?
(They fly down on Appa to find Toph running on a wave of earth back to the city)
Sokka: (as Appa flies in close) Need a lift?
Toph: (concentration broken) WHAAAAAAAAAAA—(face plants)
Sokka and Aang: (wincing) Oooooooh...
- Even better when you think about it from Toph's POV. She's blind. Sokka's offer of a lift actually legitimately startled her because she was so busy being awesome and earthbending that she didn't hear them coming!
- Planning out how to save the Earth King as well as Katara and Zuko.Sokka: We should split up. Aang, you and Iroh go save Katara and the angry jerk. (turns to Iroh) No offense.
Iroh: None taken.
- The Gaang coming back to save the Earth King's pet bear Bosco. Ty Lee is trying to teach it to walk on its hands. When Ty Lee falls into a bridge position, her hands and feet are suddenly encased in stones thanks to Toph's Earthbending. With Ty Lee out, Sokka and Toph get into fighting poses. Mai can't even be bothered to get up off of the steps she's sitting on and waves a hand going, "...just take the bear."
- There's also the fact that Bosco had been looking at Ty Lee with total indifference while she was trying to teach him to walk on his front legs, but then sits up and starts clapping like a happy baby when her limbs get trapped.
- And to add to it, Ty Lee's face when her arms and legs are trapped is just an amazingly brilliant 'Huh?' expression, as if she can't quite figure out how she ended up with her arms and legs trapped.