Star Making Role: Anime & Manga
These voice actors and actresses made their names
in the anime scene. Due to its nature, there is sometimes some overlap
with video games
(or Western animation
, in the case of a few English-language voice actors).
Japanese Voice Actors (Seiyuu)
- Masako Ikeda in Ace Wo Nerae
- Tōru Furuya, Keiko Han and Shuichi Ikeda in Mobile Suit Gundam
- Masako Nozawa in Galaxy Express 999
- Toshio Furukawa and Fumi Hirano in Urusei Yatsura
- Show Hayami, Mika Doi and Mari Iijima in Super Dimension Fortress Macross
- Sumi Shimamoto in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
- Norio Wakamoto and Kazuki Yao in Dancougar
- Mayumi Tanaka in Laputa: Castle in the Sky
- Nozomu Sasaki in AKIRA
- Ryo Horikawa in Legend of Galactic Heroes
- Ryusei Nakao and Miki Itō in Dragon Ball Z
- Kappei Yamaguchi, Megumi Hayashibara and Noriko Hidaka in Ranma ˝
- Kotono Mitsuishi, Aya Hisakawa, and Emi Shinohara in Sailor Moon
- Ai Orikasa, Yumi Takada, Chisa Yokoyama, Masami Kikuchi and Etsuko Kozakura in Tenchi Muyo!
- Toshiyuki Morikawa and Takehito Koyasu in Tekkaman Blade
- Megumi Ogata and Nobuyuki Hiyama in YuYu Hakusho
- Kikuko Inoue in Ah! My Goddess
- Tomokazu Seki in G Gundam
- Junko Iwao in Key the Metal Idol
- Nobutoshi Canna in Macross 7
- Yuko Miyamura and Akira Ishida in Neon Genesis Evangelion
- To some extent, Fumihiko Tachiki in the same series (as Gendo), although it was his role in Bleach that solidified his popularity.
- Hikaru Midorikawa, Toshihiko Seki and Ryōtarō Okiayu in Gundam Wing
- Atsuko Tanaka in Ghost in the Shell
- Omi Minami and Houko Kuwashima in Martian Successor Nadesico
- Maaya Sakamoto in The Vision of Escaflowne (although often mistaken for her debut role, it's actually pre-dated by her bit part in Ghost in the Shell)
- Tomoko Kawakami in Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Ikue Otani and Shinichiro Miki in Pokémon
- Sakura Tange in Card Captor Sakura
- Kaori Shimizu in Serial Experiments Lain
- Masaya Onosaka and Satsuki Yukino in Trigun
- Asami Sanada and Miyuki Sawashiro in Di Gi Charat
- Kazuya Nakai and Akemi Okamura in One Piece
- Ayako Kawasumi and Yui Horie in To Heart
- Junko Noda in Love Hina
- Mitsuki Saiga in The SoulTaker
- Rie Tanaka and Soichiro Hoshi in Gundam SEED
- Tomoko Kaneda, Yuu Asakawa and Yuki Matsuoka in Azumanga Daioh
- Mayumi Shintani in FLCL
- Ryō Hirohashi in Haibane Renmei
- Junko Takeuchi in Naruto
- Romi Park and Megumi Toyoguchi in Fullmetal Alchemist
- Chiwa Saito in Keroro Gunsou
- Natsuko Kuwatani in Rozen Maiden
- Masakazu Morita in Bleach
- Mamiko Noto in Maria-sama ga Miteru
- Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- Mai Nakahara in Mai Hi ME
- Yoko Honna in Futari Wa Pretty Cure
- KENN in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX
- Rie Kugimiya in Shakugan no Shana
- Rina Sato in Negima!
- Eri Kitamura in Blood+
- Mamoru Miyano in Death Note
- Kana Ueda and Junichi Suwabe (along with Bleach) in Fate/stay night
- Although you can also make a case for Kana's role as Yumi in Maria-sama ga Miteru as having been this.
- Aya Hirano, Daisuke Ono, Minori Chihara, Yuko Goto and Tomokazu Sugita in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Jun Fukuyama and Ami Koshimizu in Code Geass
- Hiroshi Kamiya and Yuuichi Nakamura in Gundam 00
- Kanae Itō in Shugo Chara!
- Katsuyuki Konishi, Tetsuya Kakihara, Marina Inoue and Yukari Fukui in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Megumi Nakajima and Aya Endo (plus singer May Nakabayashi) in Macross Frontier
- Emiri Katou in Lucky Star
- Shizuka Ito in Hayate the Combat Butler
- Kana Asumi in Hidamari Sketch
- Atsushi Abe and Nobuhiko Okamoto in A Certain Magical Index, and Satomi Arai in the spinoff, A Certain Scientific Railgun
- Haruka Tomatsu in Kannagi
- Kana Hanazawa in Bakemonogatari
- Aki Toyosaki, Yoko Hikasa, Minako Kotobuki, Satomi Sato and Ayana Taketatsu in K-On!.
- Nao Touyama in The World God Only Knows
- Hisako Kanemoto in Shinryaku! Ika Musume
- Suzuko Mimori, Sora Tokui, Izumi Kitta and Sasaki Mikoi in Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
- Aoi Yuuki in Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Ai Kayano in Ano Hana The Flower We Saw That Day
- Yuka Ootsubo, Minami Tsuda, Rumi Ookubo and Shiori Mikami in Yuru-Yuri
- Megumi Han in Hunter × Hunter (2011).
- Kazuyuki Okitsu as Jonathan Joestar in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure TV anime
- Kaito Ishikawa in Suisei no Gargantia
- Aya Suzaki in Kill la Kill
- Daisuke Hirakawa, Tatsuhisa Suzuki, Nobunaga Shimazaki and Tsubasa Yonaga in Free!
English Voice Actors
- Steve Blum, Beau Billingslea, Melissa Fahn and Wendee Lee in Cowboy Bebop
- Steve would later gain further fame as TOM, the host of Toonami.
- Chantal Strand and Samuel Vincent in Gundam SEED
- Johnny Yong Bosch (coupled with Trigun and Eureka Seven) and Michelle Ruff in Bleach
- Before this, Johnny was known for his roles as Adam Park and Vash. It wasn't until he got the role of Ichigo Kurosaki that his popularity began to soar.
- After landing the role of Rukia, Michelle Ruff was much more likely to be playing a lead role or a major supporting one.
- Crispin Freeman (coupled with Slayers) and JB Blanc in Hellsing
- Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart (both coupled with Slayers) in Pokémon.
- In the Battle Frontier and beyond voice cast, Sarah Natochenny and Emily Bauer.
- Kari Wahlgren in FLCL
- Vic Mignogna, Caitlin Glass, and Travis Willingham in Fullmetal Alchemist
- Lisa Ortiz in the Slayers TV series, and Cynthia Martinez (who replaced Ortiz as the voice of Lina Inverse) in ADV's dubs of the movie and the OVA.
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
- Karen Strassman in Code Geass.
- Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, Eric Vale and Sonny Strait in FUNimation's dub of Dragon Ball Z
- Yuri Lowenthal (coupled with Ben 10: Alien Force), Dave Wittenberg, Stephanie Sheh, Liam O Brien, and Kate Higgins, among others, from Naruto.
- Neil Ross in Voltron: Defender Of The Universe (specifically, the Go Lion half)
- Billie Lou Watt in Astro Boy
- Dan Green, Wayne Grayson (along with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)) and Megan Hollingshead in Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Greg Ayres in Saiyuki
- Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Amanda Winn Lee in Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Chris Patton and Luci Christian (the latter coupled with One Piece for Dallas based dubbing with FUNimation) in Full Metal Panic!
- Hilary Haag in Chrono Crusade (Though she did dubs for other series for ADV before this particular one).
- Laura Bailey in Fruits Basket
- Maryke Hendrikse in Black Lagoon.
- Richard Ian Cox, Kirby Morrow and Kelly Sheridan (the latter two coupled with The Vision of Escaflowne) in InuYasha
- Tabitha St. Germain (coupled with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) in The Ocean Group's dub of Shakugan no Shana
- Cherami Leigh for Shakugan no Shana (FUNimation Dub), Strike Witches, Soul Eater, or Fairy Tail (for Texas based work) and Sword Art Online (for California based work).
- Brad Swaile, Shannon Chan-Kent, and Alessandro Juliani in Death Note.
- Scott McNeil and Lisa Ann Beley in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
- Bryce Papenbrook in Durarara!!.
- Cassandra Lee and Christine Marie Cabanos (both would later team up as leads in Puella Magi Madoka Magica), and to a lesser extent, Shelby Lindley and Xanthe Huynh in K-On!.
- Carrie Keranen (even though she has done some earlier roles, such as Casca from Berserk) and Sarah Williams in Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- This show also pretty much launched the career of Lauren Landa as an anime voice actress (see the Video Games page to see where she started to gain fame in voice acting overall)
- Mark Gatha in Mobile Fighter G Gundam.
- Josh Grelle for Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.
- Todd Haberkorn for either Ouran High School Host Club, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Soul Eater, or Axis Powers Hetalia
- Justin Cook, John Burgmeier, and Chuck Huber for YuYu Hakusho.
- Colleen Clinkenbeard in Kiddy Grade and FUNimation's dub of One Piece.
- Micah Solusod and Jamie Marchi, among others, in Soul Eater.
- Alexis Tipton in Sekirei and My Bride Is a Mermaid.
- Jessica Calvello (coupled with Girls und Panzer eleven years later), Monica Rial (coupled with Princess Nine), Jason Douglas, and Jay Hickman in Excel♥Saga.
- Jason Griffith and Mike Pollock in Sonic X.
- Mela Lee in Fate/stay night.
- Brittney Karbowski in Pani Poni Dash! (for Houston-based work) and Soul Eater (for Dallas-based work).
- Eileen Stevens in Ah! My Goddess (TV series).
- Wally Wingert (tied with The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes) and Eden Riegel in Tiger & Bunny. The former was already a well known voice actor but lacked a big role.
- Joshua Seth, Michael Reisz, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Mona Marshall, Lara Jill Miller and Richard Epcar in Digimon Adventure.
- Lucien Dodge in Fate/Zero.
- Erik Kimerer in Accel World.
- Kira Buckland (coupled with Mugen Souls) in Rinne no Lagrange and Accel World.
- David Matranga and Shelley Calene-Black (coupled with Noir) in Sorcerer Stabber Orphen.
- Jessica Boone, Kira Vincent-Davis (coupled with Elfen Lied, which she starred in one year later) and Nancy Novotny in Azumanga Daioh.
- Brianne Siddall in .hack//SIGN.
- Erica Mendez in Magi - Labyrinth of Magic.
- Brina Palencia in Rebuild of Evangelion and Spice and Wolf.
- Emily Neves in CLANNAD and Broken Blade.
- Tia Ballard in Fairy Tail.
- Austin Tindle, Jad Saxton, and Morgan Garrett in Is This a Zombie?.
- Caitlynn French in Bodacious Space Pirates and Girls und Panzer.
- Ian Sinclair in Toriko and Space Dandy.
- Jerry Jewell and Alison Viktorin in FUNimation's short-lived dub of Case Closed
- David Vincent in GUN×SWORD.
- Erica Schroeder (Under the name Bella Hudson) and Marc Diraison for the 4Kids Entertainment dub of One Piece.
- Margaret Mc Donald and Molly Searcy in Girls und Panzer