Rejoice, Troper. Crispin Freeman will be described here.
Crispin Freeman is one of the more popular voice actors in the business, and, well, what can we say, the guy's got talent for characters that are Hot-Blooded
or a complete jerk
or...just about anything.
Crispin seems to be fascinated by the use of myths in anime, and regularly hosts panels at cons on the subject. He's also a fan of Hayao Miyazaki
, and finally got the chance to provide a voice for the dub of Howl's Moving Castle
with the (albeit minor) role of Prince Justin. He's also quite fond of Opera and actually sang some at a convention.
He seems to be cast alongside Quinton Flynn
frequently, in addition to either fighting side
or harboring a personal grudge
against Johnny Yong Bosch
. His sister is actress Cassidy Freeman
He also has a podcast entitled Voice Acting Mastery
, focusing on providing tips, tricks, and insider information on becoming a voice actor.
Also has a Twitter account
and a YouTube account
Not to be confused with any other Freeman
on this wiki.
He's the California counterpart of Japan's Takehito Koyasu
and Tomokazu Sugitanote
, as well as Texas's J. Michael Tatum
and Mike McFarland
, and Canada's Michael Adamthwaite
and Paul Dobsonnote
. Keith Silverstein
is shaping to be his successor.
Notable roles by Crispin Freeman:
Tropes associated with Crispin Freeman:
- Ascended Fanboy:
- Ax-Crazy: Some of his most renowned roles.
- Badass: Many of his roles are often deemed that.
- Bishōnen: Has not only voiced them, but is also considered one.
- Cool Teacher: Offers voice acting classes and has a podcast on the subject.
- Deadpan Snarker: Some of his roles, particularly Kyon.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Occasionally jokes around with this.
- Genre Savvy: In an interview about God of War III, he responds that having played the first game, he knows that his role is essentially "Not Kratos", and is well aware that Helios' fate is to die a grisly death at Kratos' hands (as pictured in Fantastic Light Source).
- I Knew It: He called the revelation that Itachi loved his little brother within minutes of learning about the character. He relates the story here, at 24:10.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: You can't deny it after this. Kyon also has a cat, but he doesn't really care for Shamisen as much as his sister.
- Large Ham: When push comes to shove (I.E. the director tells him to), he can pull it off very well. Case In Point: Orange.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: After reading an email in which a fan assumed he had experience with incest (details here) and asked for advice, Crispin was creeped out and left his computer for a few minutes.
- Older Than They Look: He looks no older than his mid-twenties despite being forty-two.
- One of Us: In addition to being a mythology scholar, he's also an anime fan in his own right. In fact, he frequently gives presentations and attends seminars on the subject.
- How big of an anime fan is he? He once considered changing his name to Mark, from Battle of the Planets. That big.
- He has a Twitter account, and a very active one at that. He used it to type an update that read "Guess what I'm dubbing today?", along with a photo of a television screen showing Kyon in a winter outfit.
- He's a big Doctor Who fanboy, and a technical problem at Otakon 2013 revealed that his desktop background is a picture of the TARDIS.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: At first.
- Playing Against Type: Compared to his more well-known roles, Sundowner has a higher-pitched, raspier voice, and a deep southern accent.
- Renaissance Man: Crispin can do live theater, voice act in all areas of the media, teach mythology, teach anime compared to Western Animation, direct, and write. Fans may exaggerate his versatility.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Not to the extent of a three-piece suit, but he seems to wear button-up shirts and vests to conventions, while most other actors prefer T-shirts and jeans.
- Spell My Name with an "S": He's listed as "Crispen Freeman" in the credits for Tales of Symphonia.
- Star-Making Role: As Zelgadis Graywords in Slayers and Alucard in Hellsing (the latter as a California-based voice actor).
- Took a Level in Badass: Back around the time that he was in series such as Angel Sanctuary, people cringed at hearing he would be in a dub. Whether this was him, or him just being miscast, once he got dropped on characters that allowed him to go full-bore Large Ham, there was no looking back.
- Waistcoat of Style: Known to wear them.
- What Could Have Been: He was nearly Archernote , Kaminanote , Sephirothnote , and Vincent Volajunote .