Need someone to voice a energetic young boy
, a comic relief
, or a Nice Guy
? Hire this guy!
Bryce Papenbrook is a voice actor born of California, excelling mostly in young heroes. He's the son of the late Bob Papenbrook
, and he's doing a good job in filling him in after his departure.
While he's not working in voice acting, he serves as a a kickboxing instructor
who had received many black belts and trained over 16 years under (you guessed it) the Chuck Norris
version of Tang Soo Do. So don't even think about trying to mug him
(as it happened to two robbers who tried to mug Chuck Norris
Often cast alongside
with Cassandra Lee
. Mind you, he, like Cassandra Lee, is not
a newcomer in the voice acting industry, as he does have some years of experience.
Notable roles by Bryce Papenbrook:
Tropes associated with Bryce Papenbrook:
- Badass: His better known roles (Aidou, Kida, Asbel, Rin, Kirito and Red) tend to be this. He's also one in Real Life, as he's been practicing martial arts since the age of five.
- Badass Teacher: He teaches kids Muay Thai at the House of Champions in Van Nuys, California.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: According to him in the June 2013 Aniplex Live Panel interview, some of the screams he had to do while playing Kirito were so loud he ended up with a bleeding nose on a few occasions. He even mentioned it could even damage the live panel equipment if he were to do it during the interview.
- He makes it clear that he cannot do any battle screams for Kirito at all, no matter how much you may want it; it's just too painful to do it.
- Improbable Age: A few of his earliest roles qualify. He voiced young Vash in Trigun, Jack in Radiata Stories, and Shugo in.hack//Legend of the Twilight when he was 15-16. Considering that he started voice acting at the age of eight....
- Keet: Some of his roles qualify; including Henry, Rin, Zidane, and Masaomi Kida are a few examples.
- Kid Hero: Rin Okumura, Zidane, Asbel Lhant, Kirito, Red, Chooki Mason, and Henry are some of the best examples. note
- Nice Guy: Most of the characters he voices happens to be selflessly kind to everyone and can get along with others such as Guan Ping, Kirito, Red, Asbel, and Makoto Naegi. Henry provides a more twisted example.
- One of Us: If his Facebook page is any indication.
- He's also a avid fan of Attack on Titan and made it clear he wanted to be in an English dub of it.note
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Often cast into an energetic young boy/teenager, a Nice Guy, or a Kid Hero. Basically he fills in the forte that Yuri Lowenthal held for a long time since Yuri is now typecast into mostly stoic angsty characters.
- Playing Against Type: Issachar from Shin Megami Tensei IV , particularly when he becomes a demon.
- He also voices Basara Kurochi, the B-Daman Crossfire resident Antihero.
- Not a role example, but a video game example. He also voiced numerous NPCs in Call of Duty: Ghosts as well  note
- Nagito Komaeda happens to share the same belief of luck and hope with the prequel's Makoto Naegi, but differs in his implacable moral alignment and willingness to use extreme actions to achieve a goal. Justified, since the original Japanese version has both of them with the same voice actress due to Komaeda's role as foil to Naegi.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: If his character is paired up with another character, expect the said character to be the red one in the pair.
- Relationship Voice Actor: He has worked with Cassandra Lee on several anime and video games.
- Star-Making Role: Hanabusa Aidou was initially what got people to notice him, but his actual Star-Making Role turned out to be Masaomi Kida. He started getting more lead roles after that.