Creator: Jessica Calvello
Jessica Lynn Calvello (born August 8th, 1973) is an American voice actress primarily known for her anime voiceover work, particularly with ADV Films. She currently works with Seraphim Digital Studios
(for Sentai Filmworks
) and FUNimation
She has a BFA in acting from Southwest Texas State University, and was a company member of the Emerging Artists Theatre. She has also performed as a stage actress in several productions, including an Off-Off Broadway production of The Glass Mendacity.
In June 2002, during the recording of the role of Excel from Excel Saga
, Calvello strained her voice and was replaced by
Larissa Wolcott. Calvello was also replaced as the voice actress for Yuri in Dirty Pair
by Allison Sumrall. She has since recovered and returned to voice work, although she moved to New York and worked exclusively there for the next 11 years before finally moving back to Texas in 2013. Among her first roles since moving back to Texas were Eclair in Fairy Tail The Movie Phoenix Priestess
, Saori Takebe in the English dub of Girls und Panzer
, and Kanako Miyamae in Maria†Holic
She also has a Facebook
and a Twitter account
, as well as a Youtube Channel
where she uploads videos of her singing famous songs. In the weirdest way possible.
Her Californian counterparts are Wendee Lee
and Kira Buckland
Tropes associated with Jessica Calvello:
- Career Resurrection: She started out as a V.A. for ADV Films until 2002's Excel Saga. After her contract with ADV terminated, she ended up living in New York for nearly a decade, working exclusively there, but her career wasn't as big as used to be. Since late 2013, she has started getting some more Texas based roles, such as Saori Takebe, Kanako Miyame, and Hange Zoe, bringing her back into the anime spotlight.
- Casting Gag: Three of her characters she voiced (Kanako, Excel, and Kirihime) had committed some form of dog abuse for comedic laughs.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: If her YouTube music videos are any indication.
- Genki Girl: Her more notable roles tend to be very energetic characters. Some of these characters include Excel, Saori Takebe, Hange Zoe, Kanako, and Tatenashi.
- Large Ham: As Excel and Kanako.
- Motor Mouth: How she voiced Excel and Kanako. In fact, when she was voicing Excel, she actually damaged her vocal chords, leading her to be replaced by the lesser known Larissa Wolcott for the second half of the series.
- One of Us: She's a fan of the anime Attack on Titan.
- The Other Darrin: Has fallen victim to this with a few of her roles, in addition to also being the replacement voice actress to some other roles played by some voice actresses before.
- Playing Against Type: As Eclair in Fairy Tail The Movie Phoenix Priestess, who is a stoic, mature, non-hammy, calmer character.
- Haqua may count as well, being one of her few roles as a Tsundere.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Tends to play characters who are either energetic, nutty, or hammy.
- Relationship Voice Actress: When she was working in New York, she was cast alongside Lisa Ortiz on occasions. During her time in Texas (1995-2002, 2013-present), she worked with Monica Rial (in Excel Saga and Maria†Holic) and more recently, Caitlynn French (who co-starred with Jessica in Girls und Panzer and Maria†Holic) and Josh Grelle (who starred with her in Attack on Titan and Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?, and whom she rejoins in Infinite Stratos).
- Star-Making Role: Excel in Excel Saga.
- Since moving back from New York in 2013, she gained more notability as the voice of Saori Takebe from Girls und Panzer, as well as Kanako Miyame in the 2014 re-release of Maria†Holic.
- Vulgar Humor: One of her main sources of humor. Especially in regards to Sentai Filmworks lewd card.