Anime: Fairy Tail The Movie Phoenix Priestess
Fairy Tail The Movie: Phoenix Priestess
is the first and, so far, only film in the Fairy Tail
series. It was released in Japan in August 2012.
The film focus on the guild coming across a young woman, Eclair, who is amnesiac and doesn't know much about her past — only that she's traveling with her friend, a bird named Momon, that she holds half of a mysterious stone. It doesn't take long for people to come after her in the form of the Carbuncle guild, who act on behest of Duke Cream, the spoiled ruler of a small country named Veronica. It soon falls on Team Natsu to protect Eclair and at the same time prevent whatever Cream has in store for her.
The movie received an English dub from FUNimation
, which was released on DVD in December 2013. Since the dub had yet to cover the Edolas arc by the time of this movie's release, this dub marks the first anime appearance of Panther Lily.
Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess provides the following tropes
- Action Prologue: Twofold, the movie opens with Eclair's tribe being slaughtered by soldiers to get one half of the Phoenix Stone, and after the opening credits, Team Natsu on a job to catch a criminal.
- All There in the Manual: A special tie-in manga (and subsequent Animated Adaptation) which explains Momon's creation: He was a stuffed bird Eclair made who was brought to life by the magic of Eclair's stone; Eclair initially rejects him since she Does Not Like Magic, but warmed up to him when he saved her from a pack of wolves. The story also strongly implies that the death-fearing boy who asks Eclair to bring his dead weasel back to life is Dist, the film's villain.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Duke Cream, a pretty much self-entitled brat trying to gain immortality.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence/Together in Death: Eclair and Momon at the end of the film.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The phoenix.
- Big Bad: Duke Cream, with Dist serving as The Dragon and The Starscream.
- Bittersweet Ending: Fairy Tail manages to beat Dist and destroy the phoenix, but at the cost of Eclair and Momon's life, the former who sacrifices herself to do so.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Unlike the anime, the movie doesn't shy away from showing blood, most notably when the elder of Eclair's village gets skewered with spears, and later when Cream slices Eclair's shoulder.
- Chekhov's Gun: The wedding dress Erza buys in the middle of the movie. During her bout against Coordinator, when all her magic armor is rendered useless thanks to her anti-magic (even her usual samurai get-up). Erza switches to the wedding dress since it doesn't have any magic power for Coordinator to take away.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Geese, the criminal Team Natsu chases at the beginning of the film. In the climax, he saves Lucy and Eclair from falling into a crevasse caused by the Phoenix.
- Designated Girl Fight: Erza and Coordinator.
- Disney Villain Death: Dist after Natsu blasts him off the phoenix.
- Go Out with a Smile: Eclair.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: The rest of the Fairy Tail guild comes out to help against the phoenix.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempted by Momon to save Eclair. Played straight with Eclair herself.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: For the dub as it reveals the regained guild hall, Panther Lily, and the death of Lucy's father, and the un-death of Lisanna. For regular viewers of the anime, the guild regaining their old guild hall after the Grand Magic Games arc.
- Living Toy: Momon, who was brought to life by the Phoenix Stone's power.
- MacGuffin: The Phoenix Stone.
- Mistaken for Gay: Juvia thinks Cannon is her new romantic rival after he jokingly calls Gray "pretty boy".
- Naked People Are Funny: Poor Lucy after being chased by one of Carbuncle's henchmen.
- Never My Fault: Happy at the beginning seeing Natsu go sliding down a frozen hill (due to an earlier attack by Gray) which he calls "karma" for hitting him with a fireball...despite the fact that Happy fell in the line of fire after being blown into it by Wendy's attack and was hit by accident. Natsu even apologized for it. He also didn't seem to blame Wendy for her misfire either despite the fact he was standing right in front of her when she unleashed her attack.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Dist manages to call upon the Phoenix, but doesn't get his desired immortality as he didn't know it was the tears of the phoenix that causes this rather then the blood as he thought.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Carbuncle guild.
- Recycled Premise: It's extremely similar to Memories of Nobody the first Bleach movie, right down to a movie only girl who befriends the main characters but is a plot device to unleash a great evil and the heroes are too late to stop this forcing the girl to sacrifice her life to save the world, however at the very end Lucy sees what appears to be a reincarnated Eclair as she's going about her day, just like Ichigo sees what appears to be a reincarnated Senna.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: While Team Natsu fights in Veronica, Makarov tries convincing the Council to lend him the weapon necessary to dispel the Phoenix Stone. When he arrives with the weapon in hand, Erza asks if he successfully got their permission to take it. He didn't.
- Ship Tease: Natsu/Lucy, culminating in a tearful hug at the end of the movie.
- Trash the Set: The Fairy Tail guildhall gets trashed...again. Veronica likewise is heavily damaged after the events of the film.
- Why Won't You Die?: Dist asks this of Natsu during their battle.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Eclair certainly doesn't as she has to outlive everyone around her. But it turns out it was a failsafe by the leader of her village. After her village was razed, he gave her immortality in the hopes that if the phoenix is called upon again. She would be able to get rid of it for good. Once Fairy Tail does destroy it, she finally dies.
- You Can't Thwart Stage One: The phoenix gets released despite the group's efforts to stop it.