A Hat in Time
is an upcoming PC (and possibly Wii U
) game from independent developer "Gears for Breakfast". It stars a petite time-traveller named Hat Kid who is trying to restore the broken pieces of time. Aided (questionably) by Tim, the eccentric CEO of Time, and stymied by the mischievous Mustache Girl, she must travel to different worlds collecting the Time Items.A Hat in Time
is a throwback to the collect-a-thon Platformers
of The Fifth Generation of Console Video Games
, including Super Mario 64
, Spyro the Dragon
, and Donkey Kong 64
, though with a brightly colored cel-shaded visual style reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
This game contains examples of the following tropes:
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Hat Kid can collect and wear quite a lot of different hats and other accessories.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Are the Mafia of Cooks Russian? . . . Italian? . . . whatever.
- Badass Adorable: Hat Kid.
- Badass Cape: Hat Kid again
- Cool Mask: All of the Forest Dwellers wear animal masks (possibly because they have no faces otherwise). Hat Kid can even wear some of them herself.
- Eccentric Mentor: Tim, the CEO of Time.
- Egopolis: Mafia Town.
- The Family for the Whole Family: The Mafia of Cooks. Their criminal activities involve beating up barrels dressed as old ladies (to intimidate people) and punching seagulls for eating their fish, and they won't harm Hat Kid unless she attacks them first.
- Girls with Moustaches: The main villain is like this. She's even called Mustache Girl.
- Goomba Stomp: Hat Kid's other primary form of offense besides her umbrella. Some enemies require you to use both to defeat them.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The Time Items, pins, hats, . . . neckties?
- Kill It with Fire: The Snatcher's only weakness is fire.
- Lethal Lava Land: Mafia Town eventually becomes this.
- Little Miss Badass: Hat Kid's pretty tough for a little girl.
- Living Shadow: The Snatcher.
- The Lost Woods: The Subcon Forest.
- Mood Whiplash: The first level is bright and colorful. The second is dark and creepy.
- Nice Hat: Tons of them.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Hat Kid is just Hat Kid. Same goes for Mustache Girl. Not so much with Hat Kid's partner, Timmy, though.
- Parasol of Pain: Hat Kid's umbrella, which has various upgrades including a hookshot and a pogo bounce.
- Playing with Fire: The Fire Spirits.
- Plot Coupon: The Time Items.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Queen Vanessa's terrifying gaze. Run away!
- The Rival: Mustache Girl.
- Shock and Awe: The Electro Pin.
- Significant Anagram: Time Item.
- Speaking Simlish: Was added as a voice acting option for reaching a stretch goal.
- Stealth Pun: The "challenge stages" included in the prototype version include Temporary Platforms that look like cookies. Because that's the way the cookie crumbles.
- Hat Kid's partner is Timmy. As in, Tim-e.
- Toilet Humor: There's a haunted outhouse in the second level. The haunted toilet is apparently so menacing it gets its own Leitmotif.
- Variable Mix: Used in a similar fashion to Banjo-Kazooie, with the instrumentation of the level theme changing in different areas.
- You All Look Familiar: All of the Mafia Goons are identical, except for slight differences in clothing.
- You No Take Candle: The Mafia of Cooks talk like this.