Star Making Role: Animated Film
While many of these actors and actresses may be more famous in other pursuits (such as live-action films), a few key roles in animated film helped them gain recognition among a different target audience.
English voice actors
- Tony Jay in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Kevin Michael Richardson, Daveigh Chase, and Kevin McDonald in Lilo & Stitch.
- Jodi Benson in The Little Mermaid.
- Debi Derryberry and Jeff Garcia in Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius.
- Michael Leon Wooley in The Princess and the Frog.
- Gilbert Gottfried and Robin Williams (as a voice actor) in Aladdin.
- Mandy Moore (as a voice actress) in Tangled.
- Fred Tatasciore in Ultimate Avengers.
- Jay Baruchel and T.J. Miller in How to Train Your Dragon.
- Paige O'Hara and David Ogden Stiers (coupled with Pocahontas and Lilo & Stitch) in Beauty and the Beast.
- Ming-Na Wen and Miguel Ferrer (as a voice actor) in Mulan.
- Jonathan Adams in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.
- Bruce Greenwood and Jensen Ackles (as voice actors) in Batman: Under the Red Hood.
- Kelly Mac Donald (as a voice actress) in Brave.
- Chris Sarandon and Danny Elfman in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Ariel Winter (voice-acting wise) in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- Zach Callison (coupled with Steven Universe) in Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam.
- Alan Tudyk (as a voice actor) in Wreck-It Ralph.
- Mikey Kelley in TMNT.
- Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell (as voice actresses) in Frozen. For Bell, it brought her back into the spotlight for the first time since Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and for Menzel, it made her more well known outside of the theatre fan demographic.
- Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and Joan Cusack (as voice actors/actress) in Toy Story.
- Ryan Potter and Scott Adsit in Big Hero 6. Also considered an overall breakthrough for Ryan Potter; Adsit was already well-known from 30 Rock whereas Potter's series Supah Ninjas gained far less recognition.
- Dakota Fanning (as a voice actresses) in My Neighbor Totoro. She would again prove her VA credentials in Coraline.
- Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas (as voice actors) in the Shrek series.
- Kodi Smit-McPhee in ParaNorman.
Mexican Voice Actors (both dubbing and original acting)
- Maria Fernanda Morales in The Lion King as adult Nala, along with Saori Kido/Athena.
- Raul Aldana and Genaro Vasquez in the same film as Timon and Rafiki respectively. Aldana is also well known in Mexico for voicing Stitch and Vasquez for voicing Spike Spiegel in the TV series.
- Singer Kalimba Marichal as the singing voice of young Simba also counts. Kalimba even lampshades that fact continuosly in many interviews that he is well known for that character than any other thing he did in his singing career.
- Diana Santos in The Jungle Book as Mowgli, along with Maid Marian, Miss Piggy and Peter.
- Guillermo Aponte Jr. in Finding Nemo as the titular Nemo and also recently in Big Hero 6 as Hiro Hamada; along with Phineas.