Creator: Idina Menzel
RENT, which earned her a Tony nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical. (She went on to reprise that role in the movie adaptation.) Later, she won a Tony for playing the main character of Wicked, Elphaba, opposite Kristin Chenoweth's Glinda. She was nominated for a Tony for a third time for playing the main character of If/Then.Had a recurring role in Glee as Shelby Corcoran and garnered a lot of attention voicing Elsa in Frozen. She was formerly married to actor Taye Diggs, with whom she has a son; they divorced in December 2014.
Provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Infamously at the 2014 Oscars. John Travolta mistakenly stumbled announcing her name and said something that sounded like "Adele Dazeem". Idina said it bothered her... for about eight seconds, and then she realized she had to just get out there and perform. At the next year's ceremony, she got her revenge by calling Travolta, "Galom Gazingo".
- Ascended Meme:
- On Glee it was long noted that Lea Michele (Rachel) resembled her. It eventually was revealed that Shelby was Rachel's biological mother.
- The infamous "Adele Dazeem" gaffe made by John Travolta at the 2014 Oscars when he misread Idina's name was added to the playbills for her new play If/Then, listing her as the star of Farfignugen and Nert.
- Has also become a Running Gag to claim it was "Adele Dazeem" singing when Idina doesn't hit every note in a song.
- Big Applesauce: Was born and raised in Queens, though doesn't have much of an accent. Years of musical theater will do that to ya.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She alluded to the trope (despite being brunette) when talking about voicing Elsa, saying about how it was fun to play a blonde (Elsa can be considered to have platinum blonde hair).
- Hello, Nurse!: Her portrayal of Circe.
- "I Am Becoming" Song: "Defying Gravity". "Let It Go". She belted them both out of the park.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Her guest spot as Circe on the Hercules TV series. Obviously also as Nancy in the animated portion of Enchanted. To a less extent, Elsa is also this trope, with the shape of her eyes and mouth and the way her mouth forms words being based on Menzel's natural speaking voice.
- Judaism: Is Jewish herself. Her family is originally from Russia.
- Large Ham: In terms of her singing, her most beloved songs includes moments where she just belts it out.
- Older Than They Look: Is actually in her forties but looks more like she's in her late twenties.
- Pimped-Out Dress: In Enchanted, Nancy Tremaine wears a Fairytale Wedding Dress, complete with Giant Poofy Sleeves and a Gold tiara, when she marries Edward.
- It may have been a voiceover for Menzel, but Elsa wears a couple in Frozen, a blue and black one for her coronation, and then an ice-themed slinky dress made through Gorgeous Garment Generation.
- Even in Wicked, Elphaba's outfit is supposed to look like rags, but it's done by giving the dress loads and loads of details.
- She herself wore two different dresses to the 2014 Oscars. She appeared on the red carpet in a green dress with lots of folds and ruching◊, and when she performed "Let It Go", she wore a cream dress with several layers of the tule skirt and flowery brocade◊.
- Her dress for the 2015 Oscars (where she got a jab at Travolta and he got her name right) was more on the Simple Yet Opulent end, with a red satin top and a black skirt with several gauze layers.
- Playing Against Type / Irony as She Is Cast: Nancy Tremaine in Enchanted doesn't sing at allnote . She said she felt flattered to be hired only for her acting talents.
- Playing Gertrude: Inverted with Frozen, where a 42 year old Menzel is voicing 21-year-old Elsa with a nine year age gap between her and her onscreen sister - Kristen Bell - who was 33 years old when voicing 18 year old Anna.
- Pretty in Mink: For a photo shoot in 2013 she wore a blue faux fur wrap◊, and for a 2014 holiday concert at Bloomingdale's, she wore a black fur jacket.
- Romance on the Set: She met her ex-husband Taye Diggs on the set of Rent.
- Shipper on Deck: Reportedly believed Elphaba and Glinda would have become a couple under different circumstances.
- Star-Making Role: Rent gave her a following, Wicked pushed her into the public spotlight, and Frozen made her a cultural phenomenon. She even commented on the latter when she was told that songs in musicals just didn't get radio airplay anymore, and now "Let It Go" is a radio hit that includes "frozen fractals" in the lyrics, all thanks to playing Elsa.
- Type Casting: Not fully formed yet, and her Broadway record might fight it off, but two of Menzel's three most popular characters, Elphaba and Elsa, were awkward and isolated young girls with younger siblings, with some type of hard to control magical power, who sings a catchy, uplifting "I Am Becoming" Song that can boil down to "I am who I am, I don't care what everyone else thinks," but who slowly defrost as the story goes on. If she has a similar role where the character's name is "El... a", then she will have fallen into this.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Her breasts nearly became exposed during a June 2014 concert at Radio City Music Hall. She just took it in stride, and even joked about it.(while readjusting her outfit) This diva needs her stage! These divas need their stage!...Well, fuck it, they're real!