Actress Idina Menzel is some sort of icon. Her breakout role came in the form of Maureen in Rent
, which earned her a Tony nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical. (She went on to reprise that role in the movie adaptation.) Later, she won
a Tony for playing the main character of Wicked
, Elphaba, across from Kristin Chenoweth
's Glinda. She was nominated for a Tony for a third time for playing the main character of If/Then
Had/has a recurring role in Glee
as Shelby Corcoran and garnered a lot of attention voicing Elsa in the hit animated movie Frozen
Provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Infamously at the 2014 Oscars. John Travolta mistakenly stumbled announcing her name and said something that sounded like "Adelle Dazeem".
- Actor-Inspired Element: Elsa was written to be a one-note villain, "Let It Go" would have been her Villain Song. However Idina Menzel's vulnerable performance of the song led producers to rewrite Elsa; co-director Jennifer Lee joked that when she first heard "Let It Go", "I knew that I had to rewrite the whole movie". First she became an Anti-Villain who would get redeemed in the end. Then she eventually became a misunderstood character.
- Ascended Meme:
- On Glee it was long noted that Lea Michele (Rachel) resembled her. It eventually was revealed that Shelby was Rachel's biological mother.
- The infamous "Adele Dazeem" gaffe made by John Travolta at the 2014 Oscars when he misread Idina's name was added to the playbills for her new play If/Then, listing her as the star of Farfignugen and Nert.
- Big Applesauce: Was born and raised in Queens, though doesn't have much of an accent.
- Disney Princess: Voices number 13 in the line-up - Elsa from Frozen. Doubles as the only official Disney Princess to become a Queen in her film.note
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She alluded to the trope (despite being brunette) when talking about voicing Elsa, saying about how it was fun to play a blonde.
- Hello, Nurse!: Her portrayal of Circe.
- I Am Becoming Song: "Defying Gravity". "Let It Go". She belted them both out of the park.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Her guest spot as Circe on the Hercules TV series. Obviously also as Nancy in the animated portion of Enchanted.
- Judaism: Is Jewish herself. Her family is originally from Russia.
- Older Than They Look: Is actually in her forties but looks more like she's in her late twenties.
- Pimped-Out Dress: At the 2014 Oscars when she performed "Let It Go".
- Playing Against Type/ Irony as She Is Cast: She plays Nancy in Enchanted who doesn't sing at allnote . She said she felt flattered to be hired only for her acting talents.
- Playing Gertrude: Inverted with Frozen. She was 42 voicing the 21-year-old Elsa with a ten year age gap between her and her onscreen sister Kristen Bell - who was 32 voicing 18.
- Romance on the Set: She met her husband Taye Diggs (from whom she is now separated) on the set of Rent.
- Shipper on Deck: Reportedly believed Elphaba and Glinda would have become a couple under different circumstances.
- Star-Making Role: Rent was this on Broadway.
- Type Casting: Not fully formed yet, and her Broadway record might fight it off, but two of her three most popular characters, Elphaba and Elsa, were awkward and isolated young girls with some type of magical power who eventually sings a very similar sounding I Am Becoming Song that can boil down to "I am who I am, I don't care what everyone else thinks," but who slowly defrost as the story goes on. It's generally agreed that Elsa is basically "Elphaba with ice powers."
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Her breasts nearly became exposed during a June 2014 concert at Radio City Music Hall. She just took it in stride, and even joked about it.