Actress Idina Menzel is some sort of icon. Her breakout role came in the form of Maureen in Rent
, which earned her a Tony nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical. (She went on to reprise that role in the movie adaptation.) Later, she won
a Tony for playing the main character of Wicked
, Elphaba, across from Kristin Chenoweth
's Glinda. She was nominated for a Tony for a third time for playing the main character of If/Then
Had/has a recurring role in Glee
as Shelby Corcoran and garnered a lot of attention voicing Elsa in the hit animated movie Frozen
Provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Infamously at the 2014 Oscars. John Travolta mistakenly stumbled announcing her name and said something that sounded like "Adelle Dazeem".
- Actor-Inspired Element: Elsa was written to be a one-note villain, "Let It Go" would have been her Villain Song. However Idina Menzel's vulnerable performance of the song led producers to rewrite Elsa; co-director Jennifer Lee joked that when she first heard "Let It Go", "I knew that I had to rewrite the whole movie". First she became an Anti-Villain who would get redeemed in the end. Then she eventually became a misunderstood character.
- Ascended Meme:
- On Glee it was long noted that Lea Michele (Rachel) resembled her. It eventually was revealed that Shelby was Rachel's biological mother.
- The infamous "Adele Dazeem" gaffe made by John Travolta at the 2014 Oscars when he misread Idina's name was added to the playbills for her new play If/Then, listing her as the star of Farfignugen and Nert.
- Big Applesauce: Was born and raised in Queens, though doesn't have much of an accent.
- Disney Princess: Voices number 13 in the line-up - Elsa from Frozen. Doubles as the only official Disney Princess to become a Queen in her film.note
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She alluded to the trope (despite being brunette) when talking about voicing Elsa, saying about how it was fun to play a blonde.
- Hello, Nurse!: Her portrayal of Circe.
- I Am Becoming Song: "Defying Gravity". "Let It Go". She belted them both out of the park.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Her guest spot as Circe on the Hercules TV series. Obviously also as Nancy in the animated portion of Enchanted.
- Judaism: Is Jewish herself. Her family is originally from Russia.
- Older than They Look: Is actually in her forties but looks more like she's in her late twenties.
- Pimped-Out Dress: At the 2014 Oscars when she performed "Let It Go".
- Playing Against Type/ Irony as She Is Cast: She plays Nancy in Enchanted who doesn't sing at allnote . She said she felt flattered to be hired only for her acting talents.
- Playing Gertrude: Inverted with Frozen. She was 42 voicing the 21-year-old Elsa with a ten year age gap between her and her onscreen sister Kristen Bell - who was 32 voicing 18.
- Romance on the Set: She met her husband Taye Diggs (from whom she is now separated) on the set of Rent.
- Shipper on Deck: Reportedly believed Elphaba and Glinda would have become a couple under different circumstances.
- Star-Making Role: Rent was this on Broadway.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Her breasts nearly became exposed during a June 2014 concert at Radio City Music Hall. She just took it in stride, and even joked about it.