Creator: Spike Spencer
Spike Spencer is a Voice Actor best known for playing Shinji Ikari in Neon Genesis Evangelion.He's probably the poster guy for Pigeonholed Voice Actor. He's never been able to live it down, and up until 2009 had been voicing pretty much Shinji in a different form. We're looking at you, Hanataro (less emo, more timid) and Rolo (more emo, less timid, and psychotic).However, that all changed when he was cast as the psychotic Arakune. This came as a shocking surprise to fans, and has finally broken him out of the pigeonhole. These days he's cast in all kinds of roles, though hilariously he's gravitating a bit more to suave, ladies-man-esque or wise person roles (due to his voice getting a bit deeper as he ages).Noted for being an extremely funny guy who is very welcoming to his fans. He once referred to Sam Riegel as ""the gay man with the fan". He's also a black belt (which makes him wonder why he's cast as the helpless kid). He also hates Hideaki Anno for running out of ink to finish NGE, that bastard!And remember, it's not a true Spike Spencer role without a good old-fashioned Freak Out. Incidentally, this scene (starting at 2:03) (major Evangelion spoilers) is the only one he's specifically described as having made him uncomfortable to work on. He was formerly married to Kendra Benham, the first voice actor of Maya Ibuki. He's since remarried to Kim MacKenzie.Also, he once placed a grenade in the Nostalgia Critic's pants.Not to be confused with Spike Spiegel, a character from a show he wasn't in.
Notable roles by Spike Spencer:
- Akito Tenkawa in Martian Successor Nadesico
- Ginta Toramizu in MÄR
- Goh in Pretear
- Hanataro Yamada and D'Roy in Bleach
- Koichi Tsuruuchi in Knights of Sidonia
- Mackie Stingray in Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
- Majic Finn in Sorcerer Stabber Orphen
- Marth (Mars) in the Fire Emblem OVA note
- Onion Boy in Gantz
- Papillon in Busou Renkin
- Rolo Lamperouge in Code Geass
- Saburo Togusa in Durarara!!
- Shinji Ikari in Neon Genesis Evangelion (and the re-image/reboot film series Rebuild of Evangelion)
- Dr. Shiouji (and a Scottish terrier with glasses) in Excel Saga
- Takuma Ichijo in Vampire Knight
- Takuma Kugayama in Full Metal Panic!
- Yugo in the Battle Angel OVA
- Arakune in BlazBlue
- Also Hazama, during one scene - when he decides to test Unlimited Mu in Arcade Mode, and only in Continuum Shift II and Extend.
- Atsuro in Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Overclocked
- Attumen the Huntsman from World of Warcraft
- Claude Kenni in Star Ocean: Second Evolution
- Excellus in Fire Emblem Awakening note
- Guan Suo in Dynasty Warriors 7
- Jack "Harmonica" Hamilton in Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
- Judah Singh in Soul Hackers
- Milanor in the PSP version of Yggdra Union
- Nagamasa Azai in Samurai Warriors 3
- Nall in Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
- Ringabel/Alternis Dim in Bravely Default
- Tyrann in NieR
- Vanilla R. Beans in Steambot Chronicles
- Wukong in League of Legends
- Yeager in Tales of Vesperia
Tropes associated with Spike Spencer:
- Badass: He holds a brown belt in aikido and a black belt in taekwondo.
- Black Comedy: If putting a grenade in the Nostalgia Critic's pants in the Ponyo review is any indicator.
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: What he's often cast as, at least according to the consensus within this wiki.
- Emo: The defining trope of his characters. Many of them tend to be very angsty. More particularly Shinji Ikari.
- Hilarious Outtakes: The "Ran out of ink" NGE ending outtake.
- Keet: He's been described by Amanda Winn Lee as one of the most hyper people ever, which makes his pigeonholing even more ironic.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: One of the best examples.
- Playing Against Type: As Arakune, Ginta Toramizu, Little Boy, a blue-haired Team Rocket member, Papillon, Wukong, Excellus and most recently Ringabel.
- Real Men Cook: The man can cook like you wouldn't believe. He also stars in his own cooking show, Don't Kill Your Date (and Other Cooking Tips), where he shows you how to cook and impress the ladies.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Has done a lot of voice work with fellow Evangelion alumni Amanda Winn Lee and Tiffany Grant.
- Star-Making Role: Shinji Ikari helped to make Spencer a household name among anime fans.
- True Companions: Amanda Winn Lee calls him her "brother from another mother".