Spike Spencer is a Voice Actor
best known for playing Shinji Ikari in Neon Genesis Evangelion
He's probably the
poster guy for Pigeonholed Voice Actor
. He's never been able to live it down
, and up until 2009 had been voicing pretty much Shinji in a different form. We're looking at you, Hanataro
(less emo, more timid) and Rolo
(more emo, less timid, and psychotic
However, that all changed when he was cast as the psychotic Arakune
. This came as a shocking surprise to fans, and has finally broken him out of the pigeonhole. These days he's cast in all kinds of roles, though hilariously he's gravitating a bit more to suave, ladies-man-esque or wise person roles (due to his voice getting a bit deeper as he ages).
Noted for being an extremely funny guy who is very welcoming to his fans. He once referred to Sam Riegel
as ""the gay man with the fan
". He's also a black belt (which makes him wonder why he's cast as the helpless kid). He also hates Hideaki Anno
for running out of ink
to finish NGE
, that bastard
And remember, it's not a true Spike Spencer role without a good old-fashioned Freak Out
. Incidentally, this scene
(starting at 2:03) (major Evangelion
spoilers) is the only one he's specifically described as having made him uncomfortable to work on. He was formerly married to Kendra Benham, the first voice actor of Maya Ibuki. He's since remarried to Kim MacKenzie.
Also, he once placed a grenade in the Nostalgia Critic's
Not to be confused with Spike Spiegel
, a character from a show he wasn't in.
Notable roles by Spike Spencer:
Tropes associated with Spike Spencer:
- Badass: He holds a brown belt in aikido and a black belt in taekwondo.
- Black Comedy: If putting a grenade in the Nostalgia Critic's pants in the Ponyo review is any indicator.
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: What he's often cast as, at least according to the consensus within this wiki.
- And if he's not voicing someone like that, he's voicing someone who's insane.
- Emo: The defining trope of his characters. Many of them tend to be very angsty. More particularly Shinji Ikari.
- Hilarious Outtakes: The "Ran out of ink" NGE ending outtake.
- Keet: He's been described by Amanda Winn Lee as one of the most hyper people ever, which makes his pigeonholing even more ironic.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: One of the best examples.
- Playing Against Type: As Arakune, Ginta Toramizu, Little Boy, a blue-haired Team Rocket member, Papillon, Excellus and most recently Ringabel.
- Real Men Cook: The man can cook like you wouldn't believe. He also stars in his own cooking show, Don't Kill Your Date (and Other Cooking Tips), where he shows you how to cook and impress the ladies.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Has done a lot of voice work with fellow Evangelion alumni Amanda Winn Lee and Tiffany Grant.
- True Companions: Amanda Winn Lee calls him her "brother from another mother".