The Backrooms is an internet meme
and quasi-Alternate Reality Game
based upon the eponymous Eldritch Location
, an infinite series of rooms decorated in mono-yellow wallpaper and moist carpet, lit by fluorescent lights, supposedly accessed when one noclips out of reality. Currently, a KnowYourMeme article
exists documenting the phenomenon and a subreddit
and wiki have been made to expand upon the lore.
The Backrooms contain examples of:
- Apocalyptic Log: All accounts of the Backrooms take on this nature, with anyone stuck there destined to either starve to death or be hunted down by one of the Eldritch Abominations.
- Cosmic Horror Story: The original meme and all examples of it describe a particularly bleak scenario of being stuck in an infinite Eldritch Location with no hope of escape, being hunted by strange monsters that wander the area.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: A group known as the Partypoopers declared war against the Partygoers. The Partygoers defeated the Partypoopers and rendered them extinct.
- Eldritch Abomination: A number of them supposedly populate the Backrooms.
- Eldritch Location: The Backrooms themselves, lying outside of reality, being infinite in scale, and being inescapable, certainly qualify. Many "levels" turn this up to 14.
- Schmuck Bait: Entering the "exit" in Level 2 and 3 will lead you to "The End". "The End" is a trap location meant to trick people into thinking they've left the Backrooms.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Anyone could accidentally noclip out of reality and wind up here. Forever.
- Meaningful Name: The entities, and very much so. Take the 16th entity, spider-like creatures that essentially cause people to fall into a coma, called "Nguithr'xurhs" for example. Eventually gets Lampshaded, as their wiki entry states that the name was kept that way as a reminder of how powerful the sedation effect can get.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The main appeal of the original story. Who knows what could be lurking in those endless halls?
- Of particular note is Level 6, a maze of dark halls that will drive you insane in a mere 48 hours. Yet it's completely devoid of monsters...
- The Smilers have only been seen as smiles in the darkness. Nobody knows what they look like otherwise.
- Unnaturally Looping Location: The Backrooms are said to be made up of millions of square miles of empty, identical halls.
- The Virus: Several entities in the backrooms are infectious, such as the Smilers and Partygoers.