Ayuwoki is one of the latest internet memes revolving around the late Michael Jackson. Ayuwoki is a deliberate misspelling of the lyrics "Annie are you okay?" from Jackson's signature song "Smooth Criminal" which is said to be in tune with the Spanish take on the lyrics. An animatronic of Michael Jackson was made back in 2009, becoming popular after the death of the real Jackson. The video resurfaced again in early 2019 where an urban legend was attached to it saying that it would enter one's room at 3 AM to say "Hee-hee" in reference to the late Michael's vocal riff.
A game entitled Escape the Ayuwoki was released during the heights of the meme.
Ayuwoki provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Evil: What it does to whoever it visits is unknown.
- Gonk: Its eyes are misshapen and its mouth is fixed in an Unsmile.
- Humanoid Abomination: Ayuwoki is a human-like android with yellowish skin and sports a fixed look in its eyes.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: Appears at the witching hour, whispering "hee hee" to its victims.
- Tulpa: Some interpret the meme as the result of a subconscious mixing of Michael Jackson and fellow creepypasta Momo.
- Urban Legend: This thing's obviously not real.....right?
Escape the Ayuwoki provides examples of:
- Adaptational Ugliness: Here, the Ayuwoki's appearance is changed from Michael Jackson on Botox, to a bug-eyed, big-mouthed, sharp-toothed, long-clawed beast.
- Adaptational Villainy: In Escape the Ayuwoki, it is actively malevolent, given that it kidnaps people to hunt, and will explicitly kill you if it catches you.
- Creepy Basement: The house has not one, but two. One is especially larger than the other too, with a very long corridor.
- Gonk: In the game, his eyes are far larger than a normal humans, and now possesses a giant mouth full of shark-like teeth.
- Humanoid Abomination: In the game, it divorces itself from its already-questionable human guise to go even further, now redesigned as a monstrous entity that can change from bipedal to quadrupedal and back with ease, has gazing, giant, bulbous eyes, a gaping Glasgow Grin-style mouth lined with Scary Teeth, and Creepy Long Fingers tipped with claws. In a later release, he's redesigned again with an almost zombie-like appearance. Appearing to have had the the skin ripped from his cheeks and lips, and no pupils.
- Insurmountable Waist-Height Fence: Most of the obstacles in the game aren't very high at all, such as chairs, tables and other pieces of furniture that could otherwise easily be mounted or moved. The Ayuwoki and the player, however, have to move around it, which can sometimes be a detriment when trying to escape.
- Jump Scare: What the player is treated to if the Ayuwoki catches up to them, seemingly eating them alive.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Sometimes, the Ayuwoki can be seen with bright red eyes, especially when he's searching the area of the player's last-heard location.
- Super Speed: In Escape The Ayuwoki, it is shown to be extremely fast, its very movement resembling almost a Flash Step. Its so fast that it cannot be outrun if it spots the player.