Ben Drowned (also known as You Shouldn't Have Done That, Haunted Majora's Mask, or just by its author's name Jadusable) is a Creepypasta turned Alternate Reality Game created by user Jadusable about how he got a free Majora's Mask cartridge from a strange old man.
The first part of the story can be found here, the second part is here, and what has happened in the third part so far can be found here. It's not a good idea to read them if you plan on getting any sleep tonight. Also, OOC happenings can be found on numerous pages of the Jadusable wiki; there was formerly a page dedicated entirely to OOC updates, but it has since been deleted. There is also a Character Sheet that Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Jadusable himself has a Twitter account set up to answer any questions as well as provide general updates.
This ARG provides examples of the following tropes:
- And I Must Scream: Literally, in Jadusable's nightmare where he gets transformed into another Elegy Statue."I tried to scream but the mask was pressed so tightly against my face that it was my new face... and my new face had no mouth."
- All Just a Dream: king kong.wmv seems to be one for Goron Link after he gets Drunk on Milk and passes out in front of the Milk Bar.
- Apocalyptic Log: Jadusable's account of what he sees in the game starts becoming one of these.
- April Fools' Day: king kong.wmv.
- Arc Number: 423.
- Arc Words: "You shouldn't have done that."
- "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
- The Artifact: Majora's Mask elements went on the back burner after the retooled second arc began. The original draft of the game, before Jadusable ran into financial problems, would've kept said elements to the end, however.
- Being Watched: Jadusable starts feeling like this not long after he gets the game.
- Bloodless Carnage: Even though the story is really terrifying, the videos are all shot within the engine of Majora's Mask, an E rated game.
- Surprisingly, at 4:42 in Jadusable.wmv, Link suffers an instant death as a blood splatter appears on the screen. Truth is, Ocarina and Majora both had blood for when you got hit, but was so unrealistic looking (though it was indeed red) that the games got an E-rating anyway.
- Body Horror: Jadusable's dream. Also, although a less bloody version than usual for this, Link's "glitched" back.
- But Thou Must!: One of the first weird things that happens to Jadusable after doing the glitch is having the "Go to the lair of the temple's boss?" prompt pop up where it shouldn't. He tries to select "No", but his cursor won't move.
- Creepy Child: The Elegy of Emptiness statue. And to a lesser extent, BEN... Or whatever is calling itself BEN...
- Dead Person Conversation: Possible subversion. At first you think the chat messages with BEN are this, but then it turns out BEN may not be, well, BEN, after all.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Played for Laughs during king kong.wmv when Jadusable's impromptu music video is interrupted by the appearance of another BEN save file... whereupon he promptly deletes it, makes a new file named SWAGGGGG and carries on dancing.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: A pack of them is present in the orchard from the Ryukaki arc.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: In this case, evil IS a toy.
- Eye Scream: "My eyes... they took... my eyes."
- Filk Song: Hey I'm Ben (Shadow of my Chair Mix) and Set Me Free, for starters.
- There's also Tower of Torments (Supermoon Synth Mix), which is a dark remix of Never Gonna Give You Up. Depending on how you classify it, it also counts as a Villain Song for Skull Kid / Ben
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You
- Gaslighting: Mentioned in passing in thetruth.rtf. BEN thinks it would have been hilarious to just randomly close a window or move the mouse a little bit occasionally and wait for Jadusable to notice.
- Get Out!: The first time the Wayward Horizon forum group was broken into, someone cut off the Welcome Post by Guide to tell us in Binary that we shouldn't be in there, and to GET. OUT. Minutes later, another thread is posted, this one by Kelbris, simply saying "GET OUT" after which the password was changed.
- Haunted House: Reversing the reversed portions of Ryukaki's final video (so that they play normally) will reveal that he has been living in Ben's old house all this time.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: "h b i s r ea l".
- Impeded Communication: Jadusable's efforts to communicate his problem to people on the internet are disrupted by BEN, to the point where a good chunk of the posts are full of false information, and things Jadusable said being outright removed, just to mess with Jadusable's head and fool the audience.
- Interface Screw: ... In real life.
- Irony: The reverse Song of Healing is notoriously creepy and unsettling, especially in the context of the story and videos. But what do you get when you play the Song of Healing backwards in the actual game? Saria's Song, one of the most upbeat tunes in the series.
- Jump Scare: In "DROWNED.wmv", when Link is at the tree inside the moon and he's being stalked by the statue, it cuts to a momentary flash of the Happy Mask Salesman's livid face and a scream before it cuts to black.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: The garage sale Jadusable got the game from. When he goes back to talk to the old man who gave it to him, he only finds a "for sale" sign.
- Madness Mantra: "You shouldn't have done that..."
- FUCK YOU BEN I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU
- Mistaken for Evidence: No, Cleverbot is not important. Nor is this, if Jadusable's youtube channel is a reliable source. Or not... Word of God says any information that isn't found here or here is not to be accepted as clues or evidence. Theories are welcome, but nothing outside of those two locations is to be taken as official (presumably with the exception of the Ryukaki arc).
- The Most Dangerous Video Game: The Most Dangerous Video Game. This is the leader everyone is trying to follow.
- Nightmare Sequence: Jadusable has one of these later on where the moon children from Majora's Mask, who BEN has apparently been removing any reference to up to this point, slowly sew his arms and legs together and a mask to his face, making him resemble an Elegy statue.
- Nothing Is Scarier: All BEN does is make vague threats, and mess with his computer. It's surprisingly creepy, and it leads to a horrifying nightmare sequence.
- Off the Rails: To the point that gamejacking attempts eventually contributed to tighter moderation.
- Oh, Crap!: In the first arc, you have one when you discover that you set BEN free.
- A mix of this and the fandom rejoicing when Jadusable announced that the third part of the game revolves around BEN screwing directly with you.
- 108: 108 minutes after Jadusable posted TheTruth.txt, BEN revealed his escape.
- Also, in jadusable.wmv, there are 108 rupees being carried.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: It's implied that BEN is the spirit of a boy who fell in with the Moon Children cult and drowned himself for the purpose of "ascension". Somehow Ben's spirit got trapped in in the Majora's Mask game cartridge, and he wants out. At the end of Arc 1, he succeeded.
- Plot Parallel: A retroactive example, in that the real Majora's Mask functions as a parallel for Ben Drowned.
- Schmuck Bait: Thetruth.txt wasn't posted to 4chan, but to a file sharing service as an .rtf file by BEN, so he can get you, too.
- Sealed Evil In A Cartridge: BEN. And it's been unsealed.
- Shout-Out: The name on Ifrit/Matt's Gmail account was "Matt HUBRIS", the capitalization on the name possibly being a subtle shout out to Everyman HYBRID.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Try asking the real Cleverbot who drowned BEN, and chances are you may be directed to the mirror. Especially likely to happen if Cleverbot claims to be BEN when asked...
- Un-Cancelled: Jadusable announced that due to low funds, he would not be making any more chapters of Ben Drowned. Two days later he announced that he had gotten such an overwhelming amount of donations that he would in fact be able to continue after all. And the ARG started back up, working the original announcement about the cancellation into the ARG itself by Breaking the Fourth Wall. It has been implied that The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You.
- Unreliable Narrator: Nearly all the major characters, due to BEN's influence.
- Wham Episode: TheTruth.rtf
- A Wizard Did It: The haunted Majora's Mask game is obviously being played on a modern computer and being modified through Gameshark codes instead of a capture from an N64. Understandable, though, since actually modding a Majora's Mask cartridge would take a ridiculously long amount of time and effort. The in-story explanation? BEN did it.
- You Bastard!: Comes up in the letter.
- You Can't Fight Fate: In the letter.