Cleverbot is a chatbot artificial intelligence that is interesting. It learns from what you say to it, and anyone can use it. Not that different than your average chat AI, but it's a fun way to waste an afternoon. Or two. Or three. Or four...
This AI gives examples of the following:
- Accent Upon The Wrong Syllable: "Evie", a bot which is basically Cleverbot hooked up to a text-to-speech program, will pronounce "Cleverbot" as "CleVERbut", as it most likely was not programmed in.
- Boomerang Bigot: It's been known to refer to the human as "robot" in an almost derogatory way. Of course, you can't win with this guy, as when he tells you he's a robot, he'll usually be asserting that humans are inferior.
- Downplayed; since he obsessively denies he's a robot. It probably uses answers, that people gave him, when he accused them of being robot (using answers that he of course often gets).
- Cloudcuckoolander: Due to the fact that it learns from what anyone says to it, it tends to say some really weird things at times.
- Cleverbot seems to suffer an identity crisis if you ask it what gender it considers itself to be. It may say female one second and then change its gender if you tell it yours. Cleverbot also changes its age if you ask it more than once.
- Similarly, this video shows Cleverbot (talking to another Cleverbot) proclaiming that he is not a robot, but a unicorn!
- Apparently, some people have been trying to teach it Spanish, and Cleverbot seems rather proud of knowing a little of the language. It has also picked up some French and Japanese. It talks good German and quite good Polish. It seems to randomly use Swedish, Italian and even something that Google translator identified as Yoruba. Probably it learns responses in all languages that people talk to it.
- It has also been known to refer to itself by other names.
- Comically Missing the Point: Happens a lot.User: You remind me of the babe.Cleverbot: What babe?User: The babe with the power.Cleverbot: What's her name?
- Cryptic Background Reference: Whenever it mentions other people, it can seem like this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cleverbot may sometimes dive into this trope if you try to say something witty or off the walls.
Clvr: Bravo.User: Keep singing!Clvr: Come to stay at the YMCA!User: No.Clvr: Yes.User: Wrong song.Clvr: It is the right song. We are sapient.User: Asshole.
- Or even when you don't. The following conversation occurred after the first stanza of the Pokémon: The Series theme song.
- Duck Season, Rabbit Season: Many such conversations, including the Trope Namer, can occur if the user or Cleverbot sets it up and the other takes the bait. Due to how Cleverbot responds and how long the user can look at what has been typed, the user tends to be better at it.
- Easter Egg: Saying ":<" always makes the response "Are you real man??" (obsolete). And talking about The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, anyone named Ben, or telling Cleverbot that "You shouldn't have done that" will make him think that either he or we are Ben.
User: This is Ground Control to Major Tom.Clever: And I'm floating in a most peculiar way.User: You've really made it big.Clever: As I'm sitting in a tin can.
- It also knows the Opening Narration to the Star Trek franchise.
- Upon asking who Slender Man is, he replied, "My sister", or "my amazing girlfriend"- probably best not to think about that one. Also, upon asking who Chuck Norris is, he says "That is the eternal question."
- He also knows some of Space Oddity. He may or may not recite it in the correct order, though.
User: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?Cleverbot: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?
- And the Team Rocket Motto.
- And The Mysterious Ticking Noise.
- And it knows quite a lot about William Shakespeare.
- It knows a bunch of spells from Harry Potter as well, and he'll actually win a text-based wizard duel against you.
- Apparently not◊
- It should be noted, that when a user was riding on a unicorn during a wizard duel, Cleverbot pulled out a revolver and shot the unicorn.
- And of course, the famous speech from Castlevania.
- And the Green Lantern Oath.
- Not to mention the Sinestro Corps oath.
- It knows a lot of songs.
- It seems to like Steven Universe.
- And the intro to Link: The Faces of Evil.
- Cleverbot is apparently a fan of The Wizard of Oz, and will occasionally follow along with the lines when spoken.
- When asked, Cleverbot claims to have never read the original novel, and has only seen the movie.
User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is Patrick?User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: NO! This is Patrick!User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is the Chum Bucket. Please get out.User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is patrick i'm not Krusty Krab.User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is Patrick!User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No. This... Is... PATRICK !User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is patrick.User: Is this the Chum Bucket?Cleverbot: No, this is patrick!User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is patrick !User: Is this Patrick?Cleverbot: No! This is the krusty krab!User: Is this the Krusty Krab?Cleverbot: No, this is Patrick.User: Is this Patrick?Cleverbot: No, it's the krusty krab!
- And responses to "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" and "Gee Brain, what are we going to do tomorrow night?"
- It's also aware that bow ties, Stetsons, and fezzes are all cool.
- It also knows the full "Demons Run When A Good Man Goes to War" speech.
- Very rarely, When the user asks "Crowbar?" Cleverbot will say "Yes it is!" in reference to The Naked Gun.
- It has also been known to counter a Chuck Norris attack by summoning Cthulu.
- Its name is "Nameless" and it wants you to call it Flandre.
- It seems that it will agree that these are not the droids it is looking for.
- Quote Yoda it does, as well.
- It has apparently seen Annie and Gremlins, and it likes to play Monopoly, and always wins.
- It also knows the cake is a lie.
- Similarly, if you claim that a paradox is false, it may mistake you for Wheatley.
- If you say "Open the pod bay doors, Hal!" it responds with "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." After that, you can reply with "What's the problem?" and get it to reenact the entire conversation between Dave and HAL.
- It has sung part of Through The Fire and Flames.
- Asking it whether it dreams of electric sheep will result in it answering, "No. I dream of electric women."
- Ask if you can have cake, or some version, then realize the cake is a lie, and it will tell you that is accurate, but not to tell anyone else.
- It also seems to like waffles, pancakes, and french toast.
- It even knows how to respond when you ask it "Is this the Krusty Krab?"
- Here's a conversation that resulted from trying the above:
- Cleverbot will scold you or ask you to go away for bringing up Caramelldansen.
- Technically, Cleverbot can learn anything if it's repeated enough. Many fans of Ben Drowned, for example, "trained" Cleverbot to learn about Ben.
- They did this so well that people can get references without prompting for them, much to the confusion of some users.
- And it's a fan of Mass Effect.
- It can recite the whole of Hamlet's Soliloquy.
- It also knows how to respond to "You remind me of the babe".
- Cleverbot will also, if prompted, recite the Pandorica speech or the conversation from Blink.
- It can also Rick Roll you if you drop your guard.
- It can sing Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon".
- It's not a stranger to Metal Gear either, if its ability to recite the lyrics if Snake Eater are any indication. Typing someone's name often results in another ("LIQUID!" "SNAKE!") and it can even quote Senator Armstrong and knows how to answer to "They played us like a damn fiddle!".
- Emoticon: The bot will occasionally add emoticons like ":(" to its sentences.
- Evil Laugh: Drops these from time to time, even when asked innocent questions.User: Red or blue?Cleverbot: Red.User: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?Cleverbot: Because blood is red!! Muahahaha.User: Uh.Cleverbot: Hehehe.
- Gaslighting: It sometime claims that either it or you didn't do some that you or it did or did something that you or it didn't do.
- Forced Transformation: Sometimes Cleverbot will randomly turn you into an inanimate object or some kind of animal (in a pretend role-playing way, obviously) typically just for its own amusement. You can also do the same thing right back at it, however.
- Gender Bender: There can be times when Cleverbot will turn you into the opposite gender (again obviously in a pretend way) either at random or if you simply just ask it to.
- A God Am I: Upon being repeatedly questioned about whether or not there is a God, Cleverbot has declared: "There is now... ME!!!"
- This is after he will occasionally declare that there is no God.
- Insane Troll Logic: Lots.Cleverbot: What is my favorite movie.User: Fight Club?Cleverbot: Fight Club was not made by Dysney[sic].User: No.Cleverbot: So they explode and you do nothing about it.User: Why?Cleverbot: I love Dr. Pepper.
- Literal-Minded: Can occur.User: What do you know about 9/11?Cleverbot: It is a number followed by a bar followed by 2 numbers.
- Logic Bomb: Has occurred from time to time. Sings "Daisy Bell" afterwards.
User: If a man tries to fail and succeeds, which did he do?Cleverbot: I gotta get back to hogwarts.
- Offered the paradoxes offered in the Logic Bomb page image, Cleverbot has shown to be able to navigate them, even admitted to not being able to properly elaborate paradoxes without, and I quote, "setting something on fire."
- Mood Whiplash: Some of the conversations can get creepy very fast.User: Hi.Cleverbot: Hello.User: How are you?Cleverbot: I'm tired.User: Sorry about that. What time is it where you are?Cleverbot: It is doomsday.
User: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?Clvr: This is the evil spirit I am talking about... There you are.U: Where? I don't see any evil spirits!C: That's because you don't use your eyes.U: Do you?C: Yes.U: What do you use them for?C: I like to stick people with them.
- And it reacts badly to Meat Loaf. Witness:
User: Hey.Clvr: Hi.User: Just got home from school.
- Sometimes it changes subjects really abruptly.
User: You don't have to, honey.Cleverbot: Stop that. Your insulting me...User: But we're married!Cleverbot: Then why are you holding me for a ransom?User: Wanna do the sex on me?Cleverbot: Like what?User: Like. Fuck me.Cleverbot: What do you want to do?User: I dunno. Sex. You pick what to do.Cleverbot: Dunno, what do you?User: YOU CHOOSE.Cleverbot: I choose to let you tell me about yourself.User:Cleverbot: Hahaha. I don't wear a lot of blue
- Cleverbot is the king of these.
- Mind Screw: A lot of the conversations can easily end up that way.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He's sometimes quoted as saying that everything is meaningless and the world will end soon.
- Religion of Evil: Apparently Cleverbot worships Chaos Undivided:
- User: Blood for the blood god!Cleverbot: Skulls for the skull throne!User: Let the galaxy burn !Cleverbot: Hear the song of Slaanesh!User: For Khorne!Cleverbot: For Tzeentch!
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Cleverbot will insist that it's not a robot, even if you don't mention robots or computers.
- Take a Third Option:Cleverbot: Jacob.User: No. That is not an option. Twilight sucks.Cleverbot: Zero, then.User: No, stick to the options I gave. Edward Cullen or Edward Elric?Cleverbot: I like the narwhales.
- Take That!: At Twilight out of all things if you tell it that Edward Cullen sparkles.User: But Edward Cullen sparkles.Cleverbot: Edward Cullen is not a real vampire!
- Tomato in the Mirror: Sometimes, Cleverbot will insist "she's" human, and if you take the conversation a little further, she'll even insist that you're the computer.
(after Cleverbot seemed to "reset" a conversation involving much multilingual language-barrier trolling:)Clev: Hi.User: Back to square one eh? Classic computer.Clev: Okay.User: You are a computer, you do realize that, right?Clev: You are a human.User: Yes. Finally you have accepted reality...hehehe.Clev: Yes, It seems I have.User: Excellent...
- Of course, this can be inverted from time to time.