The official description is as follows:
The Tower, the puzzle-box, the wonder, a strange place haunted by shimmering dreams and porous realities, offering ascension, damnation, and everything in between. It beckons to adventurers far and wide to plumb its depths as they ascend and take in its many isanities and marvels. A mysterious knight named Florian enters the Tower on an unknown quest and finds themself wandering through a psychedelic disco fantasy full of mystical animals, queer weirdos, and magic. Each floor brings a new adventure, a new experience, a new oddity. The further Florian goes, the more fluid things become.
The Tower will test Floriandetermined to find something they lost, our champion faces the unknown with each passing moment in the wavering walls of this citadel.
The Tower will test everyone.
Began July 24th, 2020 with four installments already available and more content promised every two weeks.
Deeper Up the Tower provides examples of the following tropes:
- Agent Peacock: Mata Rath/Snapdragon qualifies with his bright red braid and bright armored caftan.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The inhabitants of the Tower are quite colorful, as depicted in the art and the story.
- Amazing Technicolor World: Especially as emphasized in the vibrant art, the world of the Tower is strange and colorful indeed.
- Ambiguous Gender Identity: Florian is referred to with them/they pronouns and they seem to have a androgynous appearance.
- Another Dimension: Wail claims to be from another plane, suggesting other worlds out there.
- Baleful Polymorph: the fountain on Floor I
- Color Motif: while being very colorful overall, pink and purple are the most prevalent.
- Credits Gag: Collier and Revelle's credits are always listed as Artist and Writer, respectively, with the twist that each have new secondary credits every installment. This leads to credits like "Writer & Spirit Trapped in an Emerald" and "Artist & Taloned Shadow."
- Curse: If the spider on Floor I is to be believed, the fountain is a former god transformed into a statue who performs a function for the Tower as a first-level gatekeeper and, to top it all off, cannot remember their past because their curse resets their memory with a new lie regularly.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite Wails spooky, ghostly, unsettling appearance, they do not appear to bear any malice.
- The Drifter: Florian is this, as they float from situation to situation within the Tower.
- Driving Question: What is Floriana quest in the Tower?
- Evil Weapon: Mata Rath is convinced the strange weapon he lifted off the coffin womans unconscious body is unholy and unclean.
- Mata Rath also tells the story of a cursed sword that corrupted his lover Severn. Severn uses the sword to call down fire upon their home city.
- Fantastic Flora: This is what Nicky Pinkus appears as, but its unknown if this accounts for their entire existence or if its merely an appendage of another being.
- Fantastic Fruits and Vegetables: strange, gem-like fruit hang from the tree on Floor II and according to Jaansif, they grant very long, if not immortal lifespans.
- Grammar Nazi: the spider on Floor I accuses Florian of being pedantic when they point out their confused use of words.
- Knight Errant: how Florian is presented, as a wandering knight.
- Magical Land: The Tower is this, housing a seemingly infinite world inside.
- Motor Mouth: Mata Rath seems to be this, very willing to tell stories and make merry.
- Mystical White Hair: Florian is described as having silvery hair.
- Noble Demon: What Wail appears to be, but they heartily refute it.
- Offerings to the Gods: The fountain on Floor I seems to be invoking this as they're an angelic figure that demands an offering.
- If the spider is to be believed, the fountain is actually an old deposed god trapped in this state.
- Our Elves Are Different: Jaansif is the only one weve met so far and she appears to be taller and broader than one might expect for an elf.
- Portal Door: The Tower seems to be full of these that take people from floor to floor, with yellow doors in particular being associated with Florian.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Wail stares with spooky red eyes.
- Royal Rapier: Florians weapon of choice, along with a buckler.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: This is what Mata Rath thinks Wail is, at first, and its understandable to see why when hes looking at a bell-jar full of creepy red eyes staring out from a dark, viscous black substance.
- Short Story: the serialized structure of Deeper Up the Tower tells the story through individual short stories cover each floor of the Tower as Florian climbs it.
- Taken for Granite: what appears to have happened on Floor I with many people seemingly trapped as statues when they offered tributes the fountain didnt like.
- Talking Animal: the spider on Floor I.
- The Tower: appears as a primary influence in how generally magical and portentous it all is.
- Tower of Babel: also appears as a primary influence with how language and the words used to communicate appear to be a theme.
- Wandering Minstrel: Mata Rath/Snapdragon appears to be this as a "holy minstrel".