Overside is a fictional world created by Evan Dahm, which serves as a setting for his various webcomics.
Overside is a flat world populated by a wide, colorful variety of beasts and intelligent species. Interestingly, the standard assortment of fantasy races is completely absent. For that matter, so are humans: the inhabitants of Overside are all either some species of Cartoon Creature, or Mechanical Lifeforms.
The stories set in Overside include three long comics and several short stories:
- Rice Boy (April 2006 - May 2008)
- Order of Tales (July 2008 - July 2010)
- "The Tethered Isle" (October 2009)
- "Waiting in Surya" (November 2009)
- "The Jewel of Brambool" (January 2010)
- "The Tusks of Wusterim" (May 2010)
- Vattu (currently ongoing, started July 2010)
- "Settling Down" (January 2011)
- "The Thinker" (A three-part series, the first part being released in May 2011)
- "The Tusks of Wusterim" (sometime in the Green Age)
- "The Tethered Isle" (date unknown; could have occurred anywhere between the early Blue Age and the rise of the Sahtan empire from Vattu)
- Vattu (the ninth century of the Blue Age)
- "The Thinker" (date unknown; may have occurred anywhere in the Blue Age and the early Red Age, but definitely before Order of Tales)
- Order of Tales (the third century of the Red Age)
- "Waiting in Surya" (the seventh century of the Red Age)
- "Settling Down" (direct prequel to Rice Boy)
- Rice Boy (the ninth century of the Red Age)
- "The Jewel of Brambool" (occurs not long after Rice Boy chapter 32)
However, the events of the various stories are so disconnected that you're probably better off reading them in published order.
Provides examples of:
- Adventure-Friendly World: Boy, is it ever! An indeterminate number of strange, fantastical creatures who are constantly meeting, merging, or competing with each other, with plenty of ancient legends, relics, and ruined empires from the days of yore to go around (some of which get rebuilt and repopulated by successor empires which later collapse and leave new ruins on top of the old ones...) Overside is a world that is made for tale-telling.
- Alternative Calendar: Overside years were only about 5 months Earth-time... until Dahm decided that was too complicated and set the years back to the normal length.
- Cartoon Creature: Nearly everyone.
- The Constant: The three quasi-immortal Searchers figure in many of the stories.
- Conlang: A few.
- Flat World: It's a disk with two sides, each with continents and seas.
- Full-Circle Revolution: An extremely drawn-out example. In "The Tusks of Wusterim", the Frog-men are the slaves of an empire. In Rice Boy, many centuries later, they form an empire of their own.
- Loads and Loads of Races: The wiki names and describes Blackbirds, Dimmons, Fin-Folk, Fluters, Frog-Men, Gaundts, Gorrkans, Hornèds, Ice-Striders, Machine Men, Rhed, Sahtans, Shade-Kin, Sirpah, Trills, and War-Men. There are also the unnamed inhabitants of Seen and Taragi, and the mysterious White Formless. Most of these have named characters in the comics.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: Machine Men.
- Place Worse Than Death: Surya.
- Slave Race: The Frogs were slaves in the Wusterim Empire, until they revolted.