Tales of Sonic the Hedgehog is a Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Fic written by Nintendoman01.
Like the author's other fic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, the fic is an AU taking cues from all over the Sonic franchise, serving as an Ultimate Universe.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade:
- Sticks the Badger, thanks to her actual backstory being explored here.
- Sonics adventures get to him in this story along with having the world on his shoulders and his failure to save Kat and her family on the Death Egg. This eventually leads him to start taking therapy.
- Adaptational Backstory Change:
- Adaptational Badass: While Sonic has never really been a wimp, most incarnations suffer from Super Drowning Skills, which media like Sonic X turns into severe hydrophobia to the point landing in a simple puddle of water triggers a Freak Out. Here, while still afraid of water, Sonic is capable of swimming.
- Adaptational Heroism: Robotnik's former identity, Julian Kintobor. In SatAM and the Archie Comics, he was a megalomaniacal sociopath from the start. Here, he's more in line with the heroic Dr. Ovi Kintobor from Sonic the Comic, being a genuinely Nice Guy who wanted to help people.
- In the Archie series, Shard started out as the first Metal Sonic. Here Shard was designed and built by GUN.
- Adaptational Modesty: Most incarnations of the Sonic universe have the vast majority of Mobians running around as Accessory Wearing Cartoon Animals at least and Half Dressed Cartoon Animals at most, or followed a Pantsless Males, Fully-Dressed Females scheme. Here, every Mobian so far is fully dressed, or at the very least wears pants.
- All Animals Are Dogs: Chomps, Knuckles' pet Velociraptor, acts like a puppy, whining, wagging his tail, and asking for head scratches.
- An Arm and a Leg: During the climax of the South Island arc, Robotnik's left hand is crushed underfoot by Sonic, who's hopped up on negative chaos energy and become Dark Sonic. At the beginning of the Westside Island arc, Robotnik is forced to amputate his left arm to prevent the corruption of Dark Sonic's energy from spreading through his body.
- Arch-Enemy: Sonic and Dr. Robotnik become this to each other. During the climax of both the Angel Island and Little Planet arcs, Robotnik even invokes this, stating that he and Sonic define each other and calling himself such things as "the tumor on Sonic's soul".
- Artificial Limbs: From the Westside Island arc onward, Robotnik has a cybernetic left arm.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Dr. Robotnik has the Badniks kill Kodos with their weapons.
- Big Bad: Dr. Robotnik is the source of mostly everything bad that has happened so far.
- Broken Bird: Sticks is revealed to be one in her debut chapter. She grew up under the thumb of her father Jebediah Badger, a Corrupt Corporate Executive who groomed her into taking over his empire. Having only seen the bad side of Mobius' citizens through him, eventually Sticks ran away, shedding her birth name and becoming the Wild Child she is.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: At the end of chapter 55, Knuckles calls his father Locke by name, having reached his limit with his traditionalism and bigotry.
Knuckles: I wish I could say it was nice seeing you again. But that'd be a lie... Locke.
- Canon Character All Along: The Model 1 of the GUN Needlemouse robots modelled after Metal Sonic, becomes known as Shard.
- Child Soldiers: Kat, Chris and their friends become this when they help with the Freedom Fighters.
- Composite Character: Robotnik has the birth name and backstory of Julian Kintobor like in SatAM and Archie (and eventually gets a cybernetic arm like him as well) and the more heroic side of Ovi Kintobor from Sonic the Comic.
- Death of Personality: After their initial attempts to get through to Robotnik's better side fail, Sonic and Uncle Chuck come to this conclusion, considering Julian Kintobor effectively dead. Sonic in particular declares that when they see Robotnik, they're not looking at Julian, but the monster that killed him, and during the climax of the Westside Island arc, he flat-out tells Robotnik to his face that he's nothing but a "heartless, evil monster" who's wearing Dr. Kintobor's skin.
- Decomposite Character: Shard is not the first Metal Sonic here.
- Domesticated Dinosaurs: Knuckles has a pet Velociraptor named Chomps, who is his only companion until the Angel Island arc.
- The Dreaded: Kodos, a Sociopathic Soldier who was imprisoned for war crimes after the Great War. When he breaks out of the Devil's Gulag, both Mobotropolis and Station Square almost immediately go on lockdown. Sonic is desperate to keep Kat, Chris, and Keith out of the fight for their own safety, to no avail, and Robotnik barely hesitates to offer an Enemy Mine with Sonic and the Freedom Fighters to take him down.
- Enemy Mine: The Freedom Fighters and Robotnik against Kodos.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While he may be an evil Mad Scientist with plans for world domination, Robotnik still has lines he refuses to cross. Best shown when Kodos escapes the Devil's Gulag; he barely hesitates to form an Enemy Mine with Sonic to defeat him. As he points out, even when he does kill, he's done so for an actual goal, while Kodos is an Ax-Crazy anti-human extremist who kills whoever and whenever he wants For the Evulz.
Sonic: Why should I believe anything you say, Robotnik? You've never shied away from drawing blood before.
Robotnik: Yes, but always with purpose. Always with greater goals. Kodos' actions are nothing but the pointless, petty rampage of a racial supremacist.
- Fantastic Racism: Locke towards Kat for being a human. Kodos even moreso so as he violently despised Humans.
- Freudian Excuse: Discussed and defied in chapter 23. When they meet face to face, Snively tries to use his upbringing as an excuse for his conniving, backstabbing behavior. Sonic retorts that he would... if he didn't know that Snively's father had done everything he could to raise him right.
- Genius Bruiser: When the chips are down and the robots destroyed, Robotnik can and will take on Sonic with his bare hands. Best shown in chapter 22, where the two get into a physical fight in the main room of the Wing Fortress; Robotnik holds his own throughout, and only escapes when Sonic knocks him into the control panel, causing the fortress to go down.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: The entire purpose of the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad in this version. When showing them to Metal Sonic, Robotnik admits that he made them specifically to distract Sonic and serve as cannon fodder, and that he deliberately made them idiots so they wouldn't think of betraying him.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Robotnik describes himself as the Hyde to Julian's Jekyll, which the author confirms in the post-chapter note. As explained, Julian always had darker desires like a thirst for power and wanting to Take Over the World; the ROCC explosion just released him from his inhibitions and restraint. Everything Julian Kintobor fantasized about and kept under control, Dr. Robotnik does the instant it occurs to him.
- Jerkass Has a Point: In chapter 68. Sonic may be undergoing Sanity Slippage and being a bit harsh with the other Freedom Fighters, but he makes a damn good point when he calls out Sally on overruling his concerns with letting the human children accompany them in the fight against Kodos, a war criminal who's far more monstrous and evil than Robotnik ever could be, especially since Kat nearly lost her life during the fight. Antoine even admits Sonic has a point and he always thought as such, even if he didn't say anything at the time.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: In chapter 73, Robotnik, frustrated with Sonic's constant streak of victory and uncanny survival, remarks that it feels like he's in a story where Sonic always wins because he's the hero.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Zigzagged. While Robotnik does initially react to his arm being cut off by screaming and smashing a table, after a few minutes he gets it under control, looks at his severed arm, and calmly reiterates his hatred of Sonic.
- My Greatest Failure: From the Angel Island arc onward, Sonic regards his failure to save Kat and her family from the Death Egg as this, since he just automatically assumed there were no other slaves on the Death Egg and didn't bother to make sure. He's so torn up over it that he allows Kat to beat him to a pulp as retribution to allow her to vent and move on, and come the Egg Dungeon chapter, he's determined to free every prisoner in the building or die trying, adamant that No One Gets Left Behind. As he himself explains to Sally:
Sonic: Nobody gets left behind or forgotten on my watch again, Sally. I can't take it easy. I can never take it easy. Not for one second, okay? The minute I forget that, someone like Kat pays the price.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Metal Sonics attitude regarding Sonic, snapping at the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad that Sonic is his to take down.
- Poor Communication Kills: During the Angel Island arc, Kat, the Sole Survivor of the Death Egg crash thanks to Robotnik killing the other slaves on the ship, comes across Knuckles and notes that Sonic left her behind instead of saving them; her exact words and shock end up further convincing Knuckles that Robotnik's story that he's a good guy and Sonic a dangerous villain is true. Several chapters later, Knuckles finally steels himself and asks Kat the full story, and immediately kicks himself for being so easily manipulated by the doctor. Kat, however, comforts him, and admits that if she had just told Knuckles that Robotnik enslaved her and was the one who killed the other prisoners in the first place, a lot of the trouble everyone went through on the island could have been avoided.
- Reality Ensues: After Sonic not only escapes his prison but helps the prisoners escape, Robotnik becomes depressed. Losing so many times to Sonic takes its toll on him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Knuckles gives one to Locke when he returns for abandoning him, treating Kat as an unwelcome pet and standing by doing nothing as Robotnik threatened to take over Mobius. Lara gives him one as well after a slap.
- Required Secondary Powers: Discussed in chapter 41. Sonic admits that in the past, any clothes he wore would rapidly wear out or burn off due to the friction produced by his Super Speed. His Uncle Chuck solved the problem by having Honey the Cat make him clothes out of friction-proof and heat-resistant fabric.
- So Proud of You: Jules and Bernie towards Sonic.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Kodos, big time. As Sonic and Sally explain, he hates humans so much that he joined the Royal Army during the Great War solely so he could have a free pass to kill him. This resulted in him wracking up enough war crimes to land him in the Devil's Gulag for life.
- The Starscream: The Heavy King towards Robotnik.
- That Man Is Dead: From the minute he's created, Dr. Robotnik regards his former identity of Julian Kintobor as such. After multiple attempts at an "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight fall on deaf ears, Sonic comes to agree, as does Uncle Chuck.
- Villainous Breakdown: In the climax of the Little Planet arc, upon the discovery that Sonic has retrieved the other five Time Stones on top of Metal Sonic's destruction, Robotnik undergoes one; the entire time he confronts the Freedom Fighters in his latest Humongous Mecha, he alternates between Tranquil Fury and Unstoppable Rage as he rants about his plan to erase Sonic from history.