Character page for What Happened In Edmonton.
- Grief Song: I Miss You by blink-182 started out as a song Courtney and her liked to listen to together whenever they were apart from each other. It became this when Courtney disappeared with the song in the background. Given all that, its easy to see why it became her weakness. When the two sisters listened to "I Miss You," they'd sing along, Courtney taking the first verse and Jade taking the second. When you hear or read the lyrics with Calamity's corruption and the associated nightmares in mind, it becomes a strange sort of Foreshadowing:Where are you?/And I'm so sorry/I cannot sleep, I cannot dream tonight/I need somebody and always/This sick strange darkness/Comes creeping on, so haunting every time
- Meaningful Name: Delancey is the last name of Discords voice actor, although his is spelled deLancie.
- Redemption Demotion: Justified, because using the same amount of power she did at the height of her corruption would bring the darkness crashing back. This also applies to her outfit its hard to argue that jeans and converse are cooler than a prom dress with sparkles, like, all the time.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As a server at a Newcago casino catering to Epics, his past definitely has its share of trauma, as he essentially had a terrible customer service job taken Up to Eleven.
- Morality Pet: He helps keep Jade in check, although to a far lesser extent than during Oregon. One by choice, in many ways, as hes had multiple opportunities to leave without the danger of Jade following him.
- Abusive Parents: In What Happened in Oregon flashbacks, it is hinted that, prior to becoming an Epic, she was emotionally abusive toward Jade and Courtney.
- Til Murder Do Us Part: She killed her ex-husband during her Rending.
- Evil Wears Black: His ideal suit is black.
- Fashionable Evil: He prefers relatively nice suits and keeps his hair neat. This might be somewhat of an issue with Taya, as its unlikely their fashion sense aligns.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: His host was poisoned by another Epic. Without his powers, hed have died again, although the good part of this trope is somewhat questionable. And by somewhat questionable, we mean absolutely false.
- Haunted Technology: The healing motivator made out of his blood.
- Hope Crusher: Lampshaded in one of his introduction posts.He leaned back and watched the man's fear rushing back to him. This time Nighthound's smile was genuine. I love it when their hopespot gets crushed.
- Karma Houdini: His death was supposed to be karmic punishment. That didn't exactly work out very well, given his return
- Survival Mantra: The meta-mantra "And then Nighthound died," repeated by players whenever he topped himself with yet another crime against humanity, is sadly no longer effective, now that some genius made that motivator.
- Powers via Possession: Shes healed from an incurable poison an Epic inflicted on her, but at the cost of sharing her body with Nighthound.
- Too Clever by Half: Is extremely good at what she does, can get pretty arrogant about it, and her plans have a strong tendency towards going horribly right.
- Blessed With Suck: Being very beautiful in a world of horrible people with superpowers is often this.
- The Dulcinea Effect: One of the two/three benefits her powers have. Also the only reason she isn't dead yet.
- Ax-Crazy: Will drown you to death in her blood, happily.
- Badass Longcoat: Its red, to match her name, and most people identify her based off of it. She throws it off to fight, though.
- Combat Tentacles: Made of blood. Theyre part of her upgraded combat capabilities, which she realized she was capable of after reading Tokyo Ghoul at some point in between the end of Oregon and now.
- Depraved Bisexual: Her tastes are limited by levels of evil, not gender. Her long list of exes includes several powerful Epics. Nighthound is one of these.
- Evil Is Sexy: In-Universe, this is her opinion and one of her main motivations.
- Evil Wears Black: Well, black and red.
- Karma Houdini: Shes somehow managed to avoid any and all genuine consequences for her actions, largely because she gets off to what most people would call karma.
- Knife Nut: She doesnt even need to cut herself to use her power, she can make her blood burst out of her skin. She just likes knives.
- Mood-Swinger: One moment, shes offering herself as a slave to Jacklyn who rejects her. The next, shes drowning in fear/self hatred. Then, shes fueled by murderous fury.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She voluntarily started a relationship with Nighthound, Quietus, and half a dozen other monsters.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She can turn her eyes red by popping her blood vessels in her eyes, a skill that's taken lots of practice to control with ease, but looks very creepy.
- Red Is Violent: Literally, given her name. She wears a red jacket and is always ready to kill.
- Self-Made Orphan: She killed her sister and parents during her reckoning.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: It serves the dual purpose of making her look sexy and actually providing a function: keeping her shirt from being torn off every time she uses her full power in a fight. Not that she minds the latter too much, its more that shed rather not have to get a new shirt every time she gets into a fight.
- Sibling Murder: She murdered Dawn during her Rending.
- Successful Sibling Syndrome: Her jealousy over her sisters perceived success spiralled into obsessive levels even before gaining Epic powers.
- Took a Level in Badass: Offscreen, she decided to stop wasting her potential by using her power subtly.
- Too Kinky to Torture: As always. When shot with a taser, she cuffs herself and smiles.
- Villainous Crush: The moment she hears about Quietus, shes absolutely infatuated.
- Yandere: Honestly, just calling her a yandere isn't really accurate, but it's the closest term that manages to describe her murder happy masochist wannabe slave overcompensating... something.
- Ambiguous Gender: Theyre nonbinary. Unrelated to their trauma, but theyre more likely to lose it when misgendered as male than as female because theyre AMAB.
- Attention-Deficit Disciple: The poster child for not paying attention. The moment their interaction with Phytomagnet stops looking like itll be a fight, they wander off.
- Being Evil Sucks: Its complicated. The more evil they act, the more theyre reminded of their past trauma.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Subverted. Being tortured traumatized them to the point where Calamity could make them an Epic, but they only turned evil thanks to the corruption that caused.
- Berserk Button: Misgender them or threaten them. Just try it. Youll get a truly horrifying Nightmare Face.
- Big Eater: Played for laughs at first, but its slowly revealed their eating habits are the result of an eating disorder.
- Bishie Sparkle: This happens to them near constantly whenever someone in their age range realizes theyre there.
- Book Dumb: They were kidnapped in first grade, meaning they dont have that much of a formal education. Still, theyre precocious and learned to read from the handful of comic book pages they managed to keep safe. The fact one of these comics was Deadpool helped lead to their somewhat unusual sense of humor.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: Them. A butterfly lands on Agors mangled corpse and they see one when passing out of Florida, marking the point where they gained their powers.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Their attention span is as short as they are, and they arent very tall.
- The Coats Are Off: They throw off their hoodie whenever preparing to fight for real because of this trope.
- Color Motif: All sorts of colors, but particularly violet purple, are associated with them while theyre happy, but a complete void of color means theyre broken.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Averted. Most of their family is alive, although they think theyre dead because Agor said he killed them.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Most of their schemes and, given their status as a joke character, they usually work. Usually.
- Cute and Psycho: Well, the cute part is a matter of opinion, but the psycho definitely isnt. If you hurt their friend or are their friend and try to leave them, they will go into rage mode. Needless to say, a pissed off reality warper is more than slightly terrifying.
- Dark and Troubled Past: They were kidnapped as a child by Agor, only being freed when the building they were held in is destroyed and Agor is brutally killed during Crimsons Rending.
- Disease Bleach: Their hair turned white during their kidnapping, before they used their powers to keep their hair a constantly shifting kaleidoscope. Theyre willing to turn their hair any color or combination of colors except black their original color- and white -the color forced upon them by circumstance.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: They dont tell anyone their full past without heavily editing it because they hate being pitied. When they reveal the truth to Liam, they expect him to pity or hate them because of past experiences.
- Duality Motif: Color vs white, shown in a variety of ways:
- Their manipulated flashbacks are colorful, while the honest ones are washed out.
- White eyes when sad, purple ones when normal.
- Ever shifting hair that goes every color but black or white at their whim if happy, completely pale when not.
- Their colorful clothes grow increasingly washed out until theyre completely white the sadder they get. The world around them fades as well, slower than their clothes, while white roses bloom around them
- Even Evil Has Standards: They might (surprisingly frequently) kill people, but its not out of bigotry. They also dont torture people, but thats less about having standards and more about unresolved trauma.
- Friendless Background: They probably had some before they were kidnapped, but they cant remember any of them. After they became an Epic, Arabella was their only friend and became a mother figure, but she was killed. Once she died, Kokichis methods of making friends only got weirder and more eccentric, turning people away from them while most people seemingly willing to befriend them only wanted their power. Liam is their first friend in a long time.
- Gender-Blender Name: Somewhat unusually, their original name, Atsuki, was one, but the name they chose is actually masculine.
- The Glomp: They preform this rather frequently. Lampshaded:Anyway, they could see the faintest outline of his back, so they crouched down and jumped towards them, wrapping him with a glompy tackle hug.
- Giving Up the Ghost: Whenever someone is shocked around them. Sometimes this actually results in the person dying, though usually only if Kokichi intends them to.
- Height Angst: Played for Laughs. They don't actually mind it that much, but overreacting to the relatively common comments about their height can give them the ability to drop kick people into the sun. Or, as they like to say, 'yeet them into space.'
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Colors revealed so far include, in universe chronology-wise: Black, white, blue&orange, and purple&gold.
- Love Bubbles: Accompanied by roses whenever someone falls for them. They either cant notice them or dont understand what they mean. Their powers make these appear literally.
- Macabre Moth Motif: The (pale light) dark side of their butterfly themes.
- Meaningful Name: Their last name, Chiyou, is spelled with the kanji for butterfly (蝶).
- Multicolored Hair: Kokichi, usually with pairs of contrasting colors.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Past!Kokichi in particular, but theyre still skinny and small for their age.
- Older Than They Look: Epics age slowly, and they already act childish. Taken to the extreme during moments of BSOD. They also think theyre younger than they are due to being kidnapped when they were young.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Although most of their scars were healed when they gained their powers, the butterfly that Agor carved into their back, more specifically the middle of their shoulder blades, with a sharp knife hasnt faded a bit, a physical representation of their weakness and biggest PTSD trigger.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: They're an incredibly powerful, albeit vulnerable, Epic, and they're barely five feet tall.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Their lack of respect for personal space starts out played for laughs, but as Kokichi opens up to Liam, they start to beg him not to leave them.
- Power Incontinence: Usually theyve got pretty good control over their reality warping, but given its an emotion-based power, their moments of BSOD translate into them completely losing their physical ability to fight back, as their strength requires them being able to joke.
- Reality Warper: Their power, though its limited to making the world around them seem like an anime.
- Shed the Family Name: Theyll be taken by surprise if called Atsuki but not violently. The only reason they got rid of their first name as well was because people might connect the dots with their last one, which they hate because Chiyou means butterfly in Japanese.
- Sweet Tooth: Their diet consists of 90% candy and 10% soda.
- Sympathetic Murderer: They wouldnt kill with the exception of Agor if given the opportunity - without Calamitys influence, but they would still be emotionally broken and traumatized.
- Teens Are Monsters: A 19-year-old with a body count.
- The Trickster: Their power literally routinely break the laws of physics for a joke.
- Token Evil Teammate: The Circle Of Shield is a relatively benevolent organization. Kokichi is now part of it.
- Trauma Button: Being chained up. Getting them that way is incredibly difficult due to their reality warping powers, but theyre very unlikely to be able to break themselves out without an inspiration speech to motivate them.
- Troll: They introduce themself to Liam by jumping onto their moving van, unlocking the door by slamming through the glass window to reach the handle, and swinging in through the open door in order to mess with him. Their first words are, I call shotgun! And I have a shotgun. Which they do.
- Troubled, but Cute: If youre fine with their bright colors, theyre actually pretty adorable, but their upbeat aesthetic conceals a bad case of post traumatic stress disorder masked by them repressing their memories, using their powers to make it seem like their past was lighter than it was.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: They were nine before they gained their corrupting powers, ten before they could actually use them due to their weakness affecting them nonstop for a full year.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Killed by Crimsons Epic powers, which involve rearranging parts of the body. Even if he deserved it, its an unsettling way to go.
- Humans Are Bastards: In a setting filled with supervillains whos power corrupted them, Agor is a rare example of a plain ol horrible person, no outside influence required.
- Meaningful Name: Agor is the main character of a book about spiders, while Parker is a reference to Peter Parker Spiderman.
- Would Hurt a Child: And he does he ever. He kidnapped Kokichi and tortured them for three entire years.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: When active, his powers slowly kill people around him and make communication impossible.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Frequently invoked. Similar to the slasher smile, but with enough levity to put it in Cheshire Cat territory.
- Evil Virtues: Possibly his sole redeeming quality is that he is genuinely a loyal person. Which doesn't last forever.
- Evil Wears Black: His outfit includes a black trench coat.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: A big one. Hes introduced torturing rebels and likes trying new varieties of inflicting pain
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Defied. The very first thing Epoch did after gaining time manipulation powers was find various ways to get filthy rich using said powers.
- The Empire: Downplayed. ERA is a Repressive, but Efficient epic regime with an evil army and very expansionist goals, which controls a fraction of a city.
- Evil Plan: Has one of these to take over the city. Suffers from a mild case of Complexity Addiction.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Deliberately employs Quietus with full knowledge of how Quietus behaves to cultivate this dynamic.
- Hates Being Alone: In addition to loneliness-related past trauma, this is the only thing that can permanently kill him.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Epoch frequently uses legitimate means to further evil/selfish ends, in part because his weakness encourages him to do so. Generally plays the part of a Reasonable Authority Figure, albeit a self-interested one.
- We Have Reserves: Potentially the largest army of formally trained and equipped non-powered humans in Edmonton.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He immediately assumes that Jacklyn must be a Trojan Prisoner just because she is a person of interest that actually allowed herself to be arrested.
- Alpha Bitch: Very much so. Her introduction has her scheming for power in a city she just arrived in, with her loyal friends/lackeys by her side.
- Hates Being Touched: Her weakness is physical platonic affection, so it stands to reason she'd prefer to avoid all versions of this.
- Affectionate Nickname: Kokichi calls them Lee.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Hes a nazi. Hes a villain.
- Straw Nihilist: Literally spouts Nietzsche quotes, so this is a given.
- Super Supremacist: Neo-nazi plus superpowers equals... this guy.
- Master of Illusion: One of the two powerful illusionists in the city.
- Sorry to Interrupt: Blank when they accidentally black out the city, including the fight scene.
- Applied Phlebotinum: She has a motivator, a piece of technology made to replicate the powers of an Epic, in her pocket, which she unintentionally gives to MV.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She used to live in Houston with her cell. Then it, and everyone inside, was Obliterated. Before that, her boyfriend became an Epic and tried to kill her, which relates to how she ended up joining the Reckoners.
- Despair Event Horizon: When everyone she knows is killed, she ends up wandering the Fractured States and coming up with arbitrary goals to complete.
- Doomed Hometown: While her hometown (Edmonton) isn't destroyed, the town she had more emotional attachment to (Houston) was.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: While she's about average height, the rifle she wields is much larger than the SKS that was the inspiration for it; it's more than half her height, and she uses it as a walking stick.
- Superpower Meltdown: Played with. Nicroburst's power forcefully activates and overcharges the abilities of other Epics. This can be to the Epic's advantage, or it can be this, like when Mac tried to capture him and got reduced to a skeleton.