Max: You mean "oops," don't you? Just say "oops" and get out!
Max: Not "ahahahahahahah!" "Oops"!
Leo: Oops! [slams the door]
Irene needs to talk to Alice and Bob. She goes to Bob's room, opens the door and sees Alice and Bob in a compromising position. "Ok," Irene thinks, "just slowly back out of the room and close the door."
This trope is when someone opens a door, sees something unexpected, and does an about face. They may mutter something like, "I'll come back later," "You seem busy," or "Sorry to interrupt." Now what the people in the room are doing may be Not What It Looks Like, and often isn't even sexual at all. The two people may be summoning a ghost, or conversing with their toys. On the other hand, this covers solo acts.
Afterward, outside the door, the interrupter may start ranting, screaming or searching for Brain Bleach.
A common variation is to play the scene from the other side of the door. Albert and Brenda are doing something innocent, and just at the wrong moment, someone opens the door. They're invariably caught when the potential for Not What It Looks Like is at its highest.
Especially embarrassing when the person accidentally interrupting had previously been purposefully sent away. Or in...certain other situations. If shown from the perspective of the couple interrupted, see Interrupted Intimacy.
Related tropes include Backing Away Slowly, which is a slightly different take of getting away from an awkward situation, and Screw This, I'm Outta Here!, when a character walks away from an uncomfortable situation happening around or involving them rather than one they just walked into.
- From Haruhi Suzumiya
- "Wawawa wasuremono... Sorry. Enjoy yourselves!". Thus spoke Taniguchi when he wandered into a classroom and found Kyon and Nagato on the floor together, just as they had finished fighting Ryoko.
- The multiple occasions when Kyon stumbles in on Haruhi molesting/changing Mikuru into a costume. Became almost a running gag within the first six episodes.
- A few Furo Scenes in Ranma ½ feature this◊.
- In fact, this is how (male) Ranma and Akane first met. She walks in on him, gets a good look, calmly turns around and then frantically searches for something to drown him with.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!, we have Negi , who is posing as a fifteen year old with the help of a magic pill while having wounds treated by Ako, who is in love with older Negi. As she treats his wounds, Negi, who is naked, faints and falls on top of her. As Ako struggles to get Negi off her, Natsumi opens the door....... only to quickly excuse herself and leave. Awkward.....
- In the Beach Episode of Mai-HiME, Mai says, "Sorry for interrupting!" to Takeda and Natsuki.
- In an episode of Saiyuki, Gojyo and Goku are fighting (what else?) over the one bed in the hotel room they all share. The hotel maid who opens the door believes they are, well, not fighting, and is highly embarrassed.
- Something very much like the page quote happened in Gundam ZZ. Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain Mashymre Cello spends some time (rather poetically) expressing his love and admiration for Haman Karn to the rose she gave him, which he treasures. Then his first officer Gottn is found curiously listening at the door. Mashymre is not amusednote .
Mashymre: ...how much did you hear?Gottn: Nothing, sir! I heard nothing about a rose or a lamb, sir!
- In Baccano!, a member of one of the more sympathetic character's True Companions enters a train with a knife drawn and orders everyone to get down. At the same time two rival factions of mobsters enter with guns and do likewaise. He promply leaves.
"Sorry for the confusion."
- In Getbackers, Genji is in the hospital with Himiko keeping him company. Genji is eating some melon and throws one slice straight in, causing him to choke on it. Himiko leans over to make sure he's okay; cue Natsumi coming in to say hi, and immediately assuming she's walking in on a kiss.
"Sorry for interrupting"
- Shimoneta: In chapter 10, Ayame enters the girls' locker-room and sees Oboro pinned on the floor, while Tanukichi is shirtless and holding Oboro's legs open. Made more incriminating since Oboro's skirt was bunched around his waist, leaving his panties fully exposed. Ayame jumps to the obvious conclusion and hastily exits the room without a word.
- Tim Drake pulled off an amusing version in his introduction when he meets Starfire while looking for Dick Grayson. He interrupts her day, realizes Dick isn't there while revealing he knows Dick is Nightwing and then apologetically runs off into the city leaving Kory in a panic about the weird random kid who knows the Batfamily's secrets. The whole of the Teen Titans are looking for Tim as a possible villain before he even tracks down Dick.
- In the Kingdom Hearts fanfic Other Halves, and Other Tales, it's a Running Gag.
- In a one-shot for The Hearth Series, one of Vash's attempts to arrest Maddox ends with Maddox handcuffed to a lamp post, with his legs wrapped around Vash's head. While they are in this position, Ramon thinks he hears someone calling for him and looks outside.
"Hello," said Maddox, looking at the man at Vash's back.
"Never mind," Ramon said. It did not take long for Vash to hear a front door open and close.
- In Dirty Sympathy when Apollo is about to kiss Klavier, Trucy interrupts with them a hearty good morning when she's bringing in donuts.
- The Invader Zim fan-made Most Horrible Short Ever.
Dib: "Haha! I've got you now, Zi— [long, awkward pause] You know what? I'm not going to try today."
- In the fan-made Axis Powers Hetalia game Project NA, one of the endings results in Matthew and Alfred stuck in a broom closet together, hiding from Natalia. She throws open the closet door, thinking her brother is there...only to stare as those two fall out. After sputtering for a bit, she quickly excuses herself and leaves.
- In chapter 65 of A Crown of Stars, Ching called Asuka while she and Shinji were "busy" to remind them that they had to return to work again. She prefaced her warning with a "I'm sorry to have to interrupt" comment:
Im really sorry to have to do this, as I can make a pretty good guess what Im interrupting, but you two are due overhead in 15 minutes,
- Played for Drama in Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide. Maya walks in on Misato and Ritsuko, just as the former is holding the latter at gunpoint and demanding she spills the beans on the strange going-ons with Unit-02. Witnessing her boss being threatened on her life by her other boss is the culmination of an already incredibly bad month for Maya and it reduces her to a tearful wreck.
- This fancomic of Steven Universe has Lapis walking in on Peridot singing and dancing in the bathroom to Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off".
- This human AU of Steven Universe has White Diamond, with a blanket draped on her body, tearfully eating a big tub of ice cream while watching a romance movie. Hilarity Ensues when one of her daughters, Yellow, walks in on her.
Yellow: (panicked, to Blue) Don't go in there, I think Aunt Flo is in town.
- In Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, has this multiple times. Both times including Alfred walking in on Bruce having a makeout session, and Alfred making a quick 180 to give Master Wayne some privacy.
- In Cars, Lightning McQueen goes to talk to Doc Hudson and walks in on Sheriff getting a tune up, which, judging from McQueen's reaction, appears to be the car equivalent of a colonoscopy.
- The Incredibles. Mr Incredible has been invited to dinner by Mirage. Peeking through the door, he sees her talking to her mysterious employer (though he can only be partially seen). So Mirage won't know he's been spying, he then pretends he's just arrived when she goes to the door.
- In Spaceballs, Colonel Sandurz interrupts Dark Helmet while the latter is playing with his dolls.
- In The Producers, Leo interrupts Max "feeling up the old lady", but Max has to prompt him to fulfill this trope.
- Airplane!. When Otto the Autopilot starts deflating, Elaine tries to re-inflate him by blowing into a tube at his waist. Dr. Rumack walks into the cockpit and sees her apparently performing fellatio on Otto, then turns around and walks out with a stunned expression on his face.
- Independence Day. Somebody walks in on what looks like a pilot proposing to another pilot.
- In Star Trek: First Contact, Picard is admiring the first human-built warp ship and trying to explain to Data how being close to something makes it seem more real.
Troi: Would you three like to be alone?
- In Friends, when Joey, on his way to the men's room, sees Ross kissing Chandler's mom. Joey turns and says, "I'll just pee in the street."
- In another episode, Joey walks into a room, where Ross suddenly accuses him of proposing to Rachel - Joey "realises" that "This isn't the right room!" and quickly escapes.
- When Monica catches Ross and Rachel kissing (long after they've broken up) she says: "I'm sorry, apparently I've opened the door to the past."
- Lampshaded in an episode of House, during a sequence in which at least two people (Wilson and Cameron) separately walk in on the title character receiving a vigorous massage of his bum leg by a physical therapist. Realizing how suggestive it looks, he shouts, "It's not what it looks like!" to both.
- Another time Cameron and Chase are making out in a janitor's closet. House opens the door suddenly and simply tosses his garbage out before leaving.
- Used and played with in Believe Nothing when Hannah walks in on the main character receiving a vigourous and suggestive back massage from his dogsbody.
Hannah: I'm going through something of a homophobic phase - not that I have any objection in principle to men slathering each other with lubricants prior to penetration.Adonis: Hannah! There are no sexual undertones whatsoever in this scenario! Are there, Albuman?Albuman: ... oh.
- In Torchwood Gwen walks in on Jack and Ianto doin' it in the greenhouse. It's followed by a totally unrelated argument between Jack and Gwen, and then Jack drags Ianto back into the room and is seen undressing again.
- Once in Matlock, Matlock was being hugged by an old flame (I think), and is walked in on by assistants Cliff and Jerri. Jerri looks shocked, while Cliff says "Whoopsiedoodle," and drags Jerri back out the door.
- In The George Lopez Show, Max catches George and Angie's sister kissing. Angie's sister, having just gotten divorced, wanted some loving and had grabbed George and started making out with him.
- In the Seinfeld episode "The Kiss Hello," George enters the room just as Kramer kisses Jerry on the lips. He stands in the doorway for a few seconds, then backs out again.
- Farscape. John Crichton enters a door after hearing Chiana say, "Yes!" in response to whether he can come in, only to quickly walk out again on finding she's actually having sex with D'Argo.
- Happens in Fanboys, whenever Paul walks in on Lenny and Sylvia in intimate cosplay.
- This College Roomies from Hell!!! page has Mike's father walking in on the boys.
- In Juathuur, Thomil interrupts Bivv and Emojueel.
- Happens in this Think Before You Think comic, but it's Not What It Looks Like.
- In this Sandra and Woo comic, Cloud walks in on Sandra playing tyrant with her plushes.
- Times Like This: Cassie, fresh from a family argument, just wants to get home and go to sleep... whoops, is that Matt and Bethany going at it?
- Has happened several times to Phase in the Whateley Universe. The first time was walking into his room to find his roomie Bladedancer doing something to a mostly naked Jade Sinclair. (It was acupressure therapy - Bladedancer is a healer.)
- There's another hilarious incident when Phase figures out a new technique to fend off bullies - he can, by phasing just right, steal clothes off people's bodies and leave them unharmed. A number of his friends - and his girlfriend - walk in just in time to see him in front of an undressed mannequin holding women's underwear.
- Yet another incident occurs when Phase figures out a way to make everyone back off- after being asked for a favour from a regen called Peril, he decides to set up a scene where Peril verbally abuses him, he seems to snap and phases through Peril, taking Peril's dick with him. To do so without anyone actually getting hurt, Phase gets Bugs to create a model penis. Cue everyone walking in just in time to see Bugs kneeling down next to his very erect penis. Including his girlfriend.
- During the RiffTrax for 300 Disembaudio walks in during the rape scene:
Disembaudio: "Hey, guys, I made you some snickerdoodleGOOOOOD LORD! WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING?!"
- In Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, a mook opens a door to see Batman there. The two stare at each other for a moment before the mook quietly and discreetly closes the door and leading his partner away from the room.
- In one episode of CatDog where Winslow walks in on Dog with Cat all the way down his throat and then some. He immediately turns around and leaves saying, "Nevermind."
- A variation occurs in Xiaolin Showdown, when Chase Young has his animal slaves shapeshift to their human warrior forms. Cut to Dojo slithering in, carrying a tray of food... and turning around and slithering right back out without missing a beat.
- In Robot Chicken some random man does this when he enters a public toilet and sees Ted Turner painting himself blue and screaming "CAPTAIN PLANET!".
- Gravity Falls: In The Stinger for "Northwest Mansion Mystery", Agents Powers and Trigger attend the party in weird disguises and go into a closet to talk to each other about their findings. When the conversation turns into a petty argument, Tambry walks in on them, says "Not even gonna ask" and walks out.
- The Simpsons:
- In "The Summer of 4'2", Marge walks in just as one of Lisa's friends says his mom would have embarrassed him by now with a tray of Rice Krispie squares and Tang. Marge pulls a perfect U-turn, carrying her tray of Rice Krispie squares and Tang.
- In "Bart After Dark", Grampa strolls into the burlesque house and hangs up his hat, spots Bart at the desk and turns around, collects his hat and exits. Subverted in that he comes back in.
- In "Strong Arms of the Ma", Homer walks out of the bathroom at Moe's Tavern to find Marge tearing the place apart in a steroid-fueled rampage, then silently walks back in.