open/close all folders
A young depressed witch who's coming to terms with her sexuality and her past.
- Changeling Fantasy: While at first Camille is horrified to learn that her father was a Leroux Camille eventually comes to appreciate having extended family that doesn't pressure her into an arranged marriage and encourages her to pursue her own happiness.
- Dark Is Not Evil: While she tends to wear dark clothes and lipstick, she's not evil, just struggling with depression
- Disappeared Dad: Much is made of Camille's dead mother, but most witches dismiss father as inconsequential. Camille learns from her paternal grandmother that he died in a car crash soon after she and her sister were born.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Word of God all but states that Camille's discovery of her Leroux heritage is a parallel of a young lesbian discovering that they're gay and hiding it from their family. Nyra even thinks she's trying to come out to her at the end of the party.
- Dude Magnet: Camille gets more men asking her to dance at a fancy socialite party than her more glamorous cousin, and is the first to get a marriage proposal. Not that it's doing her any favors.
- Limited Wardrobe: Subverted, while Camille usually has one iconic out that she wears, she will occasionally switch up her wardrobe throughout the comic
- Lipstick Lesbian: Camille is a lesbian and she presents very femininely. She gets very flustered when Nyra and Dendro compliment her.
Camille's vivacious and supportive cousin who tries to keep her chin up about her abusive home life
- Bi the Way: Word of God as well as some concept art reveal that Avaline is bisexual. This makes it easier for her to swallow the Arranged Marriage deal which her mother gives her. (It's much harder for Camille.) There's still a big part of herself she has to repress due to her restrictive environment.
- Blondes Are Evil: Subverted with Avaline. While she is dismissive of other witch families and calls Camille selfish for not wanting to marry the stranger her abusive aunt picked out for her, being raised by Athalie makes this more of a Freudian Excuse. She's also very close with Camille and doesn't join her mother in her abuse of her cousin.
- Hidden Depth: As much as she loves her cousin, part of her resents Camille for her mother supposedly more lax treatment of her
- Plucky Girl: Despite being under her controlling mother's thumb and knowing that her entire life will be planned out for her, Avaline is still able to find small ways to express herself such as dying her hair blonde (under the pretense it's to honor the family founder) and dressing fashionably Athalie plans to put the kaibosh on that though . She's also extremely kind and loving to her cousin Camille, despite how coldly her mother treats her.
- Traumatic Haircut: Traumatic dye job for Avaline. She is forced to go from her fluffy blonde hair to straightened brunette hair, which symbolizes Athalie's increasing control over her.
- Abusive Parent: Athalie is extremely controlling of her niece and daughter. She constantly hurls verbal abuse at her niece and isn't above shattering her daughters self esteem when she fails to nab any suitors.
- Gold Digger:
- Hate Sink: Athalie takes away Toben from Camille as a form of Cool and Unusual Punishment, spends most of Camille's life verbally berating her and telling her she's only good for getting married, and gives her own daughter a Breaking Speech at her lowest point.