Maybe it's just a tree they've been tending to for years, a farm full of fruits and vegetables, or a flower they've just planted. Whatever the case, the Gardener is someone who grows and takes care of plants, and can come in two types:
The Gardener may be a farmer, gardener, someone doing it for a hobby, or someone simply caring enough about a certain plant in particular to want to keep it alive. May use magical/enchanted or highly advanced items for better results, although regular shovels or watering cans are more likely to be in use. Often what becomes of those who experience Call to Agriculture. A Caring Gardener cares about everything, from humans, to the grass beneath their feet.
- A Certain Magical Index: Harzak Lolas, the caretaker of Lindy Blueshake, also gardens as a hobby.
- Lucoa from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a former agricultural goddess who does volunteer farmwork in her spare time (and she does it all by hand rather than using her magic). It draws a sharp contrast with her normal role as a Comedic Shotacon.
- Both Naruto and Gaara from Naruto tend to plants in their spare time. Naruto doesn't have any preference, but Gaara prefers Cacti.
- The DC Comics character Poison Ivy from Batman, is a subversion, as a villainous gardener, hurting people, instead of helping them, usually caring only for plants and not for people. Over the years has gained several plant based powers, although her backstory is usually kept as her starting as a mundane gardener.
- Yandere Simulator: Uekiya Engeika, who's the leader of the Gardening Club, and gardens when she doesn't anyone to look after. She's known as 'Everyone's Big Sister'
- A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky: Rose was liked gardening before her imprisonment, and cared about her fellow prisoner, Racoon, as well as the daughter of the Queen who had her imprisoned.