Characters appearing in Assassins Pride
An assassin of Guild Jack Raven sent to be Melida's personal tutor and possible killer. While he may seem like a friendly and polite person at first glance, this is nothing but a façade. He is actually a cold, no-nonsense professional who is always focused in his mission. In spite of that, his meeting with Melida awakens a better side of him even he didn't know existed.
- Always Save the Girl: Because Melida's plight resonates so well with his Dark and Troubled Past, he decides to abandon his original mission to kill her and instead starts raising her to become the Mana user she wants to be. He acknowledges that other people want to kill her, but is determined to save her life no matter what.
- Broken Ace: He is a great fighter and just as great as a teacher, but he is also an assassin who never had a normal life. He is cold, cynical, and doesn't trust others much, but when Melida gets him to be honest about his feelings for a change, he admits he envies those who can enjoy normal things like going to school and making friends there. When Melida discovered his dhamphir secret, he admitted that he was afraid of being rejected by her like those in his past and wanted to suppress her memories for his own selfishness.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The Brooding Boy to Melida's Gentle Girl. While he originally was planning to kill her, he surprises himself when he realizes he identifies with Melida desire to be recognized, and has a change of heart. From this point onward the gentleness he shows towards her becomes genuine, even if he is otherwise still a cold assassin.
- Chick Magnet: Because of his good looks and polite (fake) personality, he quickly becomes very popular among the maids at Melida's mansion and the students at her school.
- Childhood Friends: In the 5th volume of the novel, it was revealed that Kufa knew Rosetti during his time as an orphan when he was sent to the church after his mother died and buried next to it. They spent most of their time together as she addressed him as 'Big Brother' and he often called her by her nickname 'Rosie'. Due to the Lycanthrope attack on her hometown, Rosetti was gravely injured so Kufa bit her turning her into his familiar to save her life. It was also the moment he first met 'Father'. He sealed her memories with his anima so she could live as a normal human life. The reason he joined the guild was to monitor her secretly.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Born in the Night World, he spent his childhood trying to survive with his mother in a dark place full of monsters. When they finally reached a safe place where humans could live, they faced great discrimination for supposedly being "dirtied" by the curse of the night. His mother eventually died and he was taken in by a dark guild who made him go through a hellish training to become an assassin.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He is an assassin with black hair, black coat, and is currently dedicating himself to save the life of a young girl. Even before meeting Melida he was never really evil, assassination is just a job for him.
- Dhampyr: His mother is a human and his father is a vampire, allowing him to enter a vampire Super Mode to break through human limits.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He disobeys orders and throws himself head first into a dangerous self-imposed mission that could get him killed, all for a girl he had just met. He even recognizes that he is letting his emotions guide him, but doesn't back down.
- Experienced Protagonist: A dark take. He's got plenty of battle experience because he has been trained since he was a child to be an assassin.
- Good Is Not Nice: Gaining a Morality Pet may have made him good, but it didn't made him nice, (though he has always been great at faking it). He is very harsh to Melida during training, initially refuses to get along with Rosetti and Elise because he sees them as threats to his plan to get Melida to be recognized, and he only goes easy on his enemies if he has something to gain by letting them live.
- Guile Hero: His lying mouth is one of his greatest weapons. To ensure Melida's survival, he has to lie to his former superiors, to his allies, and even to Melida herself. His self-imposed mission is all about trickery.
- Healing Factor: Being half-vampire, he can regenerate lost limbs with ease.
- Hot Teacher: Melida's handsome personal tutor quickly calls the attention of the entire student body.
- In Love with the Mark: He betrays his mission after Melida impresses him with her sheer determination and uses a Super Serum to awaken her mana artificially. He gradually develops increasingly inappropriate feelings given his real job, knowing all the while that if Melida's family or his guild ever find out what he did, they will almost certainly kill him with her.
- Lightning Bruiser: His class is Samurai. Normally this would make him a Fragile Speedster, but he ends up in this trope instead thanks to his battle experience and and the Healing Factor he gets from his Dhampyr nature. So he has the speed of the Samurai class plus the insane strength and durability of the vampires.
- Meaningful Name: Kufa Vampir is the child of a human and a vampire.
- Missing Mom: His mother died when he was young. While she was already very weak when she arrived in Flandore after a life surviving in the dark world, what sealed her fate was the discrimination she suffered from the people there, who believed she had been "cursed" by the night.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't notice Melida's Precocious Crush on him, in spite of how unsubtle she is about it. Mostly justified because he used to see social interaction as a mere tool to be used in missions, and bonding with other people for real is a new experience for him. Plus, she is too young for him to see her in a romantic light. But that soon later changes as he's beginning to see her differently as they spend more time together through out the story. Kufa soon discovers that he had fallen for her.
- The One Guy: The only guy living in Melida's mansion, as all the servants working there are women. He also becomes this when he goes to St. Frideswide alongside Melida, since the student body and staff are made entirely of women and the only other private tutor with permission to enter (Rosetti) is also a girl.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: While the main cast isn't aware of it, Kufa Vampir is a fake name he adopted for his mission. His real name is unknown.
- Pet the Dog: In the anime, he comes across a stray cat with a wounded leg on his way to Melida's mansion. He heals the wound for no reason other than he could. Also counts as Foreshadowing for him ultimately deciding to spare Melida.
- Pragmatic Villainy: He isn't a villain, but he is a ruthless assassin. The only reason why he isn't piling up corpses anymore is because protecting Melida is a mission that won't be easily achieved just by killing people. Case in point, he refuses to kill Gin and instead tells him to go back to his client and report that he found traces of Paladin Mana within Melida. If he killed an assassin sent after Melida another would come later, while having Gin deliver a fake report lessens the chances of it happening again.
- Refuge in Audacity: He's a Dhampyr who takes the family name of Vampir, knowing that if anyone figures out he's really a vampire, he'd be exterminated by the ruling powers.
- Stern Teacher: Because Melida must make everyone believe she is a Paladin to survive, he refuses to go easy on her training even for a moment. While he can be kind and encouraging to Melida in their free time, Good Is Not Nice is in full effect when it's time for a lesson.
- Stock Light-Novel Hero: Zigzagged with Kufa. In terms of appearance and role in the plot, he seems to be the definition of this trope: he has the short dark hair with soft facial features that one would expect of a Japanese protagonist (even though the series doesn't even take place on our Earth), wears dark clothing, is much stronger than most of the cast from the start, and is surrounded by pretty girls who like him and fight together with him. When you see his personality and backstory however, they don't resemble this trope at all: far from being a normal person dragged into a fantastic world, he has been raised to be an assassin since he was a child. Being so overpowered doesn't come just from an innate power, but also from having far more experience in battle than a person his age should have. He may look like an All-Loving Hero at first glance, but that's just a façade he puts on for the sake of his mission, in reality he is cold and calculating. And while he does comes to genuinely care about one girl, his core personality remains the same and he only looks more heroic than he actually is due to pragmatism.
- Supporting Protagonist: He may be the character whose point-of-view the audience follows, but the story is all about Melida. His change of heart and decision to protect her is what starts the plot for real. Most of the tension comes from the risk of her getting killed if Kufa fails to hide their secret. And the second most important plotline is Melida's journey to prove herself.
- Training from Hell: He wants Melida to quickly master her newfound Mana and learn to be more of a Combat Pragmatist, and achieves this by putting her through exhausting sparring matches where he fights dirty.
The daughter of the duke of the Angel family. Having been born without any talent for Mana in spite of being part of one of the three great duke families, she is believed to be the result of an affair her late mother had, and her life is at risk because of that. Unaware of the danger, she tries her best to prove herself in spite of being mocked and bullied by her peers.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Because of her lack of talent for Mana, she's highly ostracized by the nobility, including her own father. That doesn't stop her, however, as she's determined to prove herself to be useful despite her lack of Mana. This changes after Kufa implants Mana into her however.
- Affectionate Nickname: Elise calls her Lida.
- Badass Adorable: A cute, easily impressionable young girl currently training to become an elite knight.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: As a Gladiator, Nerva specialty is close combat. However, Melida manages to overwhelm her with a frontal assault thanks to having a better control of her Mana, as Kufa taught her much more advanced techniques than the academy would to first-years.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: She doesn't even notice thanks to his Nice Guy act, but she ends up becoming someone who brings out the best out of Kufa. Her sincere desire to grow into someone strong and admired by everyone inspires him into abandoning his mission to kill her, probably the first decision he made based on the kindness of his heart since he was adopted by Guild Jack Raven.
- Damsel out of Distress: When she and Elise are kidnapped by Gin and about to be forced to go through a surgery to change her class, she escapes and fights back against the Lycanthropes on her own. When Gin catches up to them, he concludes the girls are far too dangerous to be left alive and decides to kill them and make an excuse to his client later, but is stopped by the timely arrival of Kufa and Rosetti.
- Determinator: No matter how much she is mocked, humiliated, told to give up, she just keeps trying and trying without asking for help. There is so much determination inside her even an assassin comes to admire it, which is why he changes his mission from "killing her" to "protecting her".
- Embarrassing Nickname: At the start of the story, everyone calls her the "Talentless Girl" due to not having mana despite presumably inheriting blood from a ducal house.
- F--: Kufa didn't know a grade of "G" even existed before he saw Melida's report card.
- Fragile Speedster: Since she got her Mana from Kufa, she is in the Samurai class like him. Said class has high agility and stealth, but low defense. However, Kufa taught her Chaos Cadena to compensate for this disadvantage, allowing Melida to defend from strong attacks by concentrating Mana in a single spot. It's a double-edged sword however, as it leaves the rest of the body with little Mana and thus even more fragile.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Zigzagged. On one hand, she would never have awakened Mana without Kufa's help, and thus would be doomed to be a powerless girl forever no matter how hard she trained. On the other hand, training so hard since long before she met Kufa is the reason she became such a skilled fighter immediately after awakening her Mana, so her hard work didn't amount to nothing.
- High Hopes, Zero Talent: Born in one of the most important families in Flandore, she aims to join the elite unit Crest Legion, like every other Paladin from the Angel family. However, she has no talent to use Mana whatsoever, let alone become a member of the elite. This changes after Kufa implants some of his Mana on her.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: There were enough witnesses that everyone is fairly confident Melida wasn't Switched at Birth, but they are far less confident that she is Duke Felgus's daughter since most people believe a Muggle Born of Mages to be impossible for a ducal house. It is widely agreed that it is far more likely that her wealthy but commoner mother had an affair with another commoner. Since Melida's mother, Melnoa, passed away some time ago, she is no longer available for anyone to ask, leaving Melida's family stuck investigating all of Melnoa's male friends and deciding whether or not to give up and kill Melida.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died five years before the start of the series.
- Morality Pet: Before meeting her, Kufa was a ruthless assassin who killed whoever he was asked to kill with no remorse. After meeting her, he became a teacher willing to move Heaven and Earth for the one girl he cares about.
- Nice Girl: It's surprising how kind and cheerful she manages to be in spite of how everyone treats her. Even when given the power to shut the mouths of all those who mocked her, she doesn't use it for revenge or anything of the sort. She is satisfied with changing their opinions and befriending them.
- Parental Neglect: Her father has distanced himself from her as much as possible, due to the possibility of her not being his real daughter. When she achieves her first victory as a Mana user, all her father has to say is to not be satisfied with such a small achievement. And Kufa thought this was an improvement in their relationship, because Felgus acknowledged his daughter existed and had achieved something.
- Precocious Crush: She is just thirteen years old, and she fell for Kufa right after meeting him. She considers him to be a fairytale prince that came to save her, not knowing his true intentions when he arrived at her home. Luckily, she is not blinded by this as she wants to know him better. Especially in the 5th volume of the novel where she is confronted with his hidden past and his dhampyr identity. But despite of that, she accepted him even comparing his vampire looks to a white snow prince.
- Rapunzel Hair: It's so long that it goes past her waist.
- Secret Keeper: Melida learned Kufa's secret in volume 5. Instead of rejecting him like those in his past, she embraces him telling him she'll always be by his side even if the world is against him. She was the first person to accept him and the only one who he confided his secret outside his guild.
- The Chosen One: In the 1st act, Melida's growth becomes a threat not only to the Lycanthrope's plans, but also to the new King of Flandor. She was mentioned in the old prophecy books as part of the revolution against the King's rule. Those who believed in them started to address her as the 'child of the prophecy'
- Took a Level in Badass: Kufa implanting his Mana in her kickstarts the plot. Thanks to his guidance and her own hard work, she goes from hopelessly useless to Badass Adorable in record time.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Her mother died young, and her father coldly kicked her out due to her lack of mana. She desperately wishes to win back his approval, but he has made it clear that it will not be easy and has been ignoring her as much as possible.
Melida's cousin and the daughter of a branch family. Unlike Melida, she has long awakened her Mana and achieved the Paladin class. She is also the youngest person to join the Crest Legion. Because she obtained everything Melida wanted, the relationship between the two has become strained.
- Affectionate Nickname: She is called Ellie by Melida.
- Badass Adorable: For the same reasons as Melida, with the added bonus of having the Superpowerful Genetics she lacks.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A platonic example. While she's grateful to Kufa for helping Melida, she's not too happy that Kufa is monopolizing Melida's attention.
- Lonely at the Top: Everyone knows she is above her peers both in terms of lineage and combat abilities. While she is admired for it, she is also isolated because nobody thinks they can get closer to the super-elite girl. Not helping matter is her head maid telling her that she must distance herself from the other girls to show them that she is a superior person.
- Master of All: The Paladin class is considered to be the perfect all-rounder class. Not only are all their stats great, they can even support teammates with their unique skill Blessing, that grants everyone on the team the passive skill of recovering health and Mana.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: She has blue hair and doesn't emote much. She is expected to perform the same role as the main character, but at the start of the series she is seemingly better and has the respect the protagonist wants. She is actually hiding strong emotions and insecurities behind her stoic behavior. Doesn't that sound just like Rei Ayanami?
- Shrinking Violet: She may look like an aloof girl at first, but the truth is that she is timid and has trouble expressing herself, which has contributed to her Lonely at the Top situation as no one except Melida knows what she is thinking.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light blue hair.
Elise's personal tutor. A prodigy who rose from the commoner class and was granted the title of noble entirely with her own effort, she is a famous celebrity in Flandore.
- Dance Battler: She is part of the Dancer class, a class well known for adding a flourish to the battlefield with movement as gracious as they are deadly.
- Genki Girl: She has more energy than the thirteen years old kids. However, it's implied that like with Kufa's Nice Guy persona, this is partially an act, an attempt to always be positive. Her hyperactivity distracts her and her pupil from their personal issues and insecurities.
- Humble Hero: In spite of the several-meters-long list of impressive achievements under her name, she gets embarrassed when people recognize her as "that" Rosetti, as if she wasn't every bit the celebrity people think she is.
- When she loses to Black Madeira, she admits that she still has a long way to go and asks Kufa to train with her.
- The Pollyanna: She is always trying to share her energy with those around her, and frequently tries to alleviate the mood around her by smiling a lot and offering words of encouragement.
- Rings of Death: Wields these as her primary weapons.
- Self-Made Woman: Awakened Mana at an unusually early age, but couldn't go to a school to learn how to use it because she was a commoner. She still managed to become a master in her class through self-study alone and just kept accumulating achievements until she was given the title of First Generation Marquess, granting her entire family the status of nobility. However, she admits to Kufa that her self-reliance has cost her some social skills, and that she needs to learn proper teamwork.
- Womanchild: Kufa accuses her of being one because of her Genki Girl act and more importantly, because she thought he was some kind of "Dream Prince" when she first met him.
The leader of a group of bullies at the academy, who constantly mock Melida over her lack of Mana.
- Alpha Bitch: She is the one who insults Melida first and makes everyone else laugh at her.
- Break the Haughty: Being defeated by the girl she had been relentlessly bullying, in a public match no less, humbled her down.
- It's All About Me: She does considers Melida to be her friend but in her mind, being her friend meant that Melida would always remain a helpless girl who does whatever she wants and has to rely on her. She is downright offended that Melida dared to change.
- Mighty Glacier: She is part of the Gladiator class, a class that has great attack and defense stats, but mediocre speed.
- Ojou Ringlets: She has the hairstyle expected from a prideful noble.
A senior member of Guild Jack Raven, he is the one who raised Kufa into the assassin he is today.
- Evil Mentor: While he doesn't seem to have been a particularly abusive or manipulative father figure, it doesn't change the fact that he raised kids with nowhere else to go to become ruthless assassins.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: He is seen smoking in most of his appearance, and he is an assassin who lives and works in the darkest areas of society.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He is only referred to as father, as he raised the assassins of his guild like his children.
An artificial Lycanthrope working for the criminal guild Grimhuis.
- Bandage Mummy: Justified. Ghouls can manipulate bandages and infuse them with the power to seal Mana, so he is effectively covered in weapons.
- Card-Carrying Villain: He tells Melida that it's okay for her to think of him and his friends as "the bad guys". He later plays that card once more in his rematch with her and the other Duke's heirs. He was betting his life in effort to draw out the enemies troupes and to prove his loyalty to the White cavalier guild
- Didn't See That Coming: There was no way he could predict that Kufa was half-vampire.
- It's Personal: Because Kufa killed his companions and forced him to run away when they met in the prologue of the series, he gets much more excited fighting him than when he was trying to capture Melida and Elise.
- Not So Different: From Kufa. Both were taken by an underworld guild and had to learn to be cold-blooded killers because they had nowhere else to go. Also, they are both half Lycanthrope, although Gin is an artificially made one while Kufa is a naturally born one. Even his attitude regarding Melida's possible murder is the same as Kufa before his change of heart: Neither of them was doing it because they liked it, but they had to obey their orders. Later in the novel, he also shared some similarities with Melida as he originated from the prestige family of the William household,but like her, he never had his mana awakened. According to him, there are other children from the aristocrat families like them out there.
- Starter Villain: He is the main physical threat the main characters face in Volume 1.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: He can get murderous angry if you don't address him by his full name. Considering he is a former noble, it may be sign that he is unable to let go of his previous life.