open/close all folders
On Kiyo's fourteenth birthday, a naked child crashes through his window, riding an eagle with a tuna on his back (no, we're serious). Zatch Bell is an amnesiac child with a red spell book, and one of one hundred contenders in a tournament to decide the king of the demon world for the next thousand years. Wields the Power of Lightning.
- All Your Powers Combined: Against Clear's final form, his book turns golden and all the defeated demons show up to lend their support, and in several cases, their spells. Saying it's awesome is an understatement.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Eater
- Boring Invincible Hero: A surprising subversion. He actually loses several times. First to Zeon (before he met Kiyo), then to Brago, then Bari, and finally Riou. And even then, the victories he does get aren't easy and Kiyo and he don't come out unscathed, heck a few time they're nearly beaten to the brink of death.
- Breath Weapon: Most of his spells are projected from his mouth.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Zeon's Cain.
- Clothes Make the Superman: While Zatch is fairly powerful on his own, he learns the secrets of his regenerating, shielding mantle late in the story.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blonde hair and gold eyes.
- Death Glare: Enough to stun resident badass Bari.
- Dynamic Entry
- Elemental Eye Colours: He has gold eyes and electric powers.
- The Good King: His goal to become one.
- Go Through Me: Zatch takes a lot of hits to protect Kiyo. The one time Kiyo explicitly tells Zatch not to do this, Kiyo dies.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Kid Hero: He's no more than 8 years old.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- Magic Mantle
- Magnetic Hero: And we don't just mean Jikerdor.
- Naked First Impression: With Kiyo.
- Naked on Arrival
- Naked People Are Funny
- Oblivious to Love
- Our Dragons Are Different: His strongest attack spell, "Baou Zakeruga", which condenses into a huge electrical dragon.
- Power Glows: His physical enhancement spell, "Rauzaruk".
- Shock and Awe
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Brago and Zeon's blue.
- Super Mode: Rauzaruk, the sixth spell, enhances Zatch's strength and speed exponentially for thirty seconds.At the cost of not being able to use any other spells. Thankfully Kiyo figured this out pretty quickly. The Golden Book in the final chapters, which allowed Gash/Zatch to use souped-up spells of past mamodo who were already defeated.
- Super Strength: True of all demons, but most obvious with Zatch, who stopped Pamoon's strongest spell with his body alone.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Yellowtail tuna
- Verbal Tic: 'Unu!' This was apparently a way of royalty speaking, started after finding out who his real family was
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Seriously, where the hell did that eagle come from?
The main human protagonist, Kiyo is a brilliant boy, although arrogant and antisocial. When Zatch drops into his life, everything he knows changes, and his life gets a lot more exciting...
- Awesomeness by Analysis: With an IQ of 180, this is his own special skill. Later on, when he gains the Answer Talker this is only amplified.
- Badass Bookworm
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of the Faudo saga, when he finally comes back.
- Brilliant but Lazy: At the beginning of the series, he chooses not to go to school, in part due to bullying and in part because he's so smart it's a triviality.
- Butt Monkey: On a lot of occasions.
- Death Glare: On par with Zatch's. Possibly the true reason they make such good partners.
- Demon Head: Taken to epic levels in the final fight with Rodeaux.
- Death Is Cheap: A subversion, in that he is in fact dead for a short period, only has his heart restarted by an emotionally broken Zatch pounding on his chest, and even that isn't enough. It also takes a lot of Saifogeos and a long dip in restorative Faudo juice before he wakes up, and his allies take a lot of damage by then.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Performed in the battle against Riou/Leo.
- Informed Flaw: His Jerkass / Insufferable Genius tendencies early on tend to be quite informed since his classmates were equally rude to him.
- And according to his father, once middle school came around and kids realised how much smarter than them Kiyo is, they shunned him.
- Jerkass: At first, but he's really a Jerk with a Heart of Gold. More obvious after character development. By the end of the series, he's a Nice Guy who only gets mean if angry or frustrated.
- Nightmare Face: Gains a disturbing demonic face with fangs and horns whenever he's really enraged.
- Older Than They Look: Um, yeah, he don't look like a middle school student.
- Oblivious to Love: Both Suzume and Megumi have feelings for him. Kiyo has no clue, one of the only areas where his intelligence fails him.
- Only Sane Man: Often when faced with the antics of the rest of the group.
- Reed Richards Is Useless: Subverted, once he gains the Answer Talker power and has some downtime to ponder it, his first ideas are how he can help the rest of the world with it.
The main heroine, she becomes one of Zatch's first allies and is the combat medic of the group. Despite her violent tendencies, she cares deeply for her friends and views Zatch as a source of strength. She helps Megumi in her idol job by keeping track of events. Has the Power of Shields/Healing.
A Japanese pop idol, she is Tia's partner. She enjoys being an idol, but also appreciates the moments of normalcy with her friends.
The first of Zatch's allies, he serves as Comic Relief. Despite his timidity, he fights alongside his friends and desires to be stronger. Has the power of Illusions.
- Big Brother Instinct: With Rusca, a little girl who he befriended while he got strayed in a rural village in Spain.
- Cowardly Lion: At least once he begins to get some stronger spells...
- Delicious Distraction: Candies, which actually led him to nothing but trouble.
- Master of Illusion: Particularly his final spell, which traps the target in a full illusionary world with no escape.
- Oddball Doppelganger: He can transform into replicas of other charecters, but they're far from perfect. One had a nose that would make Cyrano De Bergerac feel normal and another has a forehead as big as the torso, luckily for him the people he had to fool were idiots
- Self-Duplication: The fourth spell, "Dima Buruk," produces a number of Kanchome clones, each with comparable speed and strength to a Rauzaruk-enhanced Zatch.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Compared to Zatch's electrical powers, Tia's shielding and healing abilities, and Ponygon's super-speed armor, transforming into something without any boost to strength seems a bit lame.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Of course, once you figure out how to use these powers correctly, they're useful. Kanchome's illusions are vital to a number of victories, and once he develops stronger techniques, is arguably the strongest demon in the series.
- His 3 final spells allow him to trick a foe into cancelling their attacks, use their own attacks against them (and only that demon) and most powerful, his illusion world, where the pain is real (at least through mental truama.) During a training session, he managed to beat Zatch.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: His strongest spell began doing this to him until Folgore snapped him out of it.
An Italian pop sensation, he is Kanchome's partner. Famous and loved, he serves as Comic Relief alongside Kanchome, but knows how to be serious.
- Agent Peacock
- Bowdlerize: 'Chichi wo moge/Groping Breasts/Pick the Boobies' becomes 'Hey Hey Let's Dance All Day'.
- Butt Monkey: Bordering with Iron Butt Monkey.
- Clothing Damage: Of the comic variety.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass, Obfuscating Stupidity: Once we find out his origin story.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was a feared juvenile delinquent who beat up anyone in his way. Led to being feared by his hometown and being kicked out by his own parents at gunpoint. After seeing a show about hippos, he goes from being a 'lion' to a 'hippo.'
- Death Glare: When he gets serious, his eyes take on the same designs as Gash, Zeon, and Ashuron to show his incredible willpower.
- Delinquents: What he used to be. It appears to still haunt him to this day.
- Determinator: It's pretty much impossible to get him to stay down.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Added in the dub to hide his original bare ass via clothing damage.
- Handsome Lech
- Hidden Depths: He's a notorious womanizer, who still finds time to visit sick kids in the hospital for a special performance. He also showcases considerable strength of will for a preppy pop star. Not even counting his past as a delinquent...
- Idol Singer
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Come ON, his most popular song (in the original Japanese) is about boobs!
- Made of Iron
- Theme Music Power-Up: When Kanchome sings "Iron Man Folgore," Parco rises up to fight once more despite his injuries.
- Subverted that after Kiyo casts Zakeru several times, he finds himself too numb to try and stand up again. The manga has him look fearful of Kanchome's singing and tries to crawl away.
Zatch's best friend from the Mamodo World, he is elated to see Zatch once more. Cannot speak much as of his age. His power is Armor (specifically, Fire Armor).
- Adaptive Armor: His ultimate armor spell in the manga can shapeshift.
- Boring but Practical: His true forte is speed. Sure it's not as flashy as throwing lightning bolts, but he can dodge almost anything and hit pretty hard thanks to it.
- Cowardly Lion: He initially didn't want to find his partner due to a fear of battle. He gets over it when his friends need him to step up.
- Instant Armor: The effect of every spell he learns.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: He keeps trying to tell everyone his name is Schneider, but nobody understands him. Once they are back to the demon world, he has grown fond of the Umagon/Ponygon name, even though everyone already knows his real name.
- Playing with Fire: While the third spell is activated and his armor specialty.
- Took a Level in Badass: His book owner was late to the party, but once he showed up...
- The Unintelligible: To everyone but Sunbeam and fellow horse Karudio, though Sunbeam still can't understand his name and Karudio never tells anyone because he's sort of a dick like that.
Ponygon's partner, he is a automobile engineer from Germany. One of the older members of the group and one of the few to understand Ponygon (albeit not able to figure out his name.)
- Adults Are Useless: A subversion, since he's one of the older contenders in the fight, and holds himself to the ideal of being a "cool adult" (which basically means reliable and trustworthy).
- Catch Phrase: "GROOVY!"
- Continuity Nod: In a breather chapter, everyone is trying to learn to ice skate, but all fail spectacularly. Sunbeam is especially livid banging and cursing the ice (as it wasn't that much later from his fight against Sauza and Karudio.
- Friend to All Living Things: Animals love him, and he can understand their thoughts. The epilogue shows him living on an African animal sanctuary.
- Germanic Efficiency- A mild example. Sunbeam is a German engineer, specializing in automobiles. The epilogue shows him helping out by starting automobile factories in Africa.
- Gratuitous English: Very fond of in the Japanese version.
- Ship Tease: With nun Elle Chivas. The end shows they're living together in Africa.
One of the strongest Mamodo ever, he is a sullen and serious contender. He mellows a bit in the tournament and gains more drive. He strives to be a 'strict, but kind' king. His power is Gravity.
An 18 year-old heiress from France, she is Brago's partner. Initially through reluctance, they do grow together. She serves as an aloof ally and grew up in a rather cold home. Her reason for fighting in the battle is to rescue her best friend.
- Abusive Parents: Sherry's mother, at least. She was immensely overbearing and forced a load of work and practices upon a very young Sherry. Her father's whereabouts are unknown.
- Her mother was so abrasive and disapproving that Sherry once attempted to kill herself.
- Action Girl
- Badass Normal: Unlike other bookeepers, who usually just stand back and casts spells, she joins the fray as much as Brago, usually fighting the opposing bookeeper.
- Childhood Friends: With Koko.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: She struggles to wake Brainwashed and Crazy Koko, who insists that she turned evil out of her own free will.
- Interrupted Suicide: As a little girl, she couldn't take her mother's abuse and attempted to drown herself, but Koko saved her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Spares Zatch and Kiyo the first time because she ultimately feels that they share a similar motivation (trying to save their friend) and by tearing friends apart, she'd be no better than Zofis.
- Lady of War
- Name's the Same: Has the same surname, but no relationship to the vampire-hunting Belmont clan from Castlevania.
- Ojou Ringlets
- Rich Bitch: Sort of; she's not a snob, but she is kind of bitchy And can you blame her?
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: To Zofis.
- The Unfettered
- Whip It Good: She has a cane for all purposes which doubles as a whip. She has used it offensively.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Has an unspecified ability to predict incoming attacks.
- Badass Normal: He has high reflexes that enable him to dodge things most humans can such as shards of stone from an explosion and even Mamodo spells.
- The Worf Effect: Fights Kiyomaro and Gash to a stand still then loses to Zeon to show the latter's power.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Kiyomaro to be this before they fight, which is why he wanted to.
A teenage demon who falls in love with his partner, Li-en. His power is Martial Arts.
Wonrei's partner, she is from China and her father is a crime boss, leading to her being rather lonely.
- Anime Chinese Girl
- Faux Action Girl: Wonrei normally does the fighting, after all, and the one time she gets to blows with an antagonist she's quickly taken down, despite supposedly being skilled in martial arts herself.
- To her credit, she does do well against Mooks but most other enemies are just stronger than a human could be.
- Interspecies Romance: With Wonrei.
- Mafia Princess
- Odango Hair
- Star-Crossed Lovers: As she points out, even if Wonrei wins, they'll be separated. She is able to accept this because he'll always be in her heart.
- Actual Pacifist: None of his spells can be used offensively.
- Badass Pacifist: His spells are still powerful, one able to launch a red beam that slows down opponents.
- Beware the Silly Ones: In the Faudo Arc's final battle, he beats Rodeaux, Zeon's incredibly deadly Dragon, to a pulp using nothing but support-type spells. He's in control the entire fight, and only loses because Rodeaux takes a cheap shot at Elle.
- Character Development: Become less pervert and more courageous as the story march on.
- Fragile Speedster: He can dodge damn near anything if he's not pissing himself in fear.
- Hyper Awareness: His demon sensing skills are so sharp he can dodge attacks without looking at them, often with miniscule margin of error.
- Panty Thief
- Pinocchio Nose: His lips get longer whenever he lies.
Momon's partner, a nun who travels the world to stop Mamodo from fighting.
A naive young demon with machines and lasers for his powers.
Kido's partner, an older man who likes to lead Kido on and then exclaim "kidding!"
- Badass Grandpa / Cool Old Guy
- Big Good: He's the one who gathers the book users and demons to fight Zolfis and the one that calls the shots.
- Catch Phrase: "Kidding!" or in Japanese, "It's a lie!"
- Failure Knight: In his backstory.
- The Gadfly: Many times, when Kido explains something Dr. Riddles had explained earlier, Dr. Riddles will just exclaim his Catch Phrase.
- Heroic BSOD: When Kido finds him, the doctor is sitting in a mansion, surrounded by shelves of books and doing nothing with his knowledge. Then we find out why...
- Insufferable Genius: "I'm Professor Riddles, the one who knows ALL!" Even Teen Genius Kiyo is annoyed; especially Teen Genius Kiyo.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's an incorrigible troll, and delights in insulting Kiyo even as he's gathering heroic demons to face the Big Bad. Kiyo is left wanting to both strangle him and thank him.
- My Greatest Failure: The reason he was sitting around doing nothing? He used to be a surgeon. Then he failed to save a child, and the guilt drove him into seclusion. In the original, the child's also his grandson.
- Team Dad: Particularly for Kiyomaro.
Vincent Bari & Gustav
- Armor-Piercing Question: Gustav, to Bari: "What kind of king do you want to be?"
- Badass: One of a very select number to defeat Zatch straight-up.
- Badass Normal: While bearing in mind that all demons have special powers, Bari still fits this trope. According to Keith, the strongest demons in the fight are the royalty (such as Zeno), the ones who have undergone the Elite Training (Brago), and the members of the mysterious Dragon Clan (Ashuron and Elzador); shortly thereafter, Bari reveals he's already beaten Elzador despite falling into none of those groups. He's actually the only demon in the fight to go completely undefeated throughout (even Brago lost round one against Clear) and the only reason he doesn't make it into the top ten is ending up on the wrong end of a Diabolus Ex Machina.
- Bari Slap: To Gash.
- Blood Knight: A mild deconstruction. Prior to his fight with Gash, fighting was the one thing Bari liked but without a propose beyond that he was growing more and more dissatisfied with his life. He began to gain purpose after fighting Zatch.
- Cool Old Guy: Gustav
- Death Glare: His 'strong eyes' that drive Keith up the wall
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Keith considers his fight with Elzador to be this. Bari chides Keith for not having the guts to think it was possible.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: His spells are all have a twister theme.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Manly Tears: During his Heroic Sacrifice
- Slasher Smile: Pretty much the only kind he is capable of.
- Smoking Is Cool: Gustav.
- Stealth Mentor: Gustav pretty much manipulated the entirety of the fight between Bari and Gash to teach Bari that he needs to be motivated.
- This Is a Drill: Generally, his spells revolve around twisters, but a couple of his spells concentrate them into drills on his arms.
- Took a Level in Badass: Yes, even further.
- Training from Hell: What do you do when you want to get stronger? Well, if you're Bari you go challenge a freaking dragon, that's what you do. He fought Ashuron's brother one-on-one and won.
- Worthy Opponent: To Gash and Kiyomaru.
The one who inspired Zatch to pursue being a kind king, she is forced to fight against her will and has a very close and sisterly relationship with her book-keeper. She has the power of Spikes (and possibly Protection)
- Badass: As opposed to other Mamodo he doesn't use spells at all save for one that heals him to full health. However, he took out some thugs armed with machine gun using unarmed combat.
- Healing Factor
- Good Thing You Can Heal
A large, animal-like mamomdo who is a friend of Zatch's from the mamodo world. Despite his scary exterior, he's a nice guy concerned with helping his partner Kyle overcome his timidity.
- Badass Normal: Effectively, since Kyle was to scared to cast spells Rein had to beat any challengers barehanded.
- Gentle Giant
- Heel-Face Turn: In his backstory. He was originally a violent, rampaging demon who was feared and hated. Once, he severely injured himself, and despite his threats, Zatch brought him back from the brink of death. Afterward, Rein reformed.
- Shapeshifting: Can also take human appearance.
A young, tough-acting demon with a good heart. He's not interested in fighting so much as finding a certain someone.
Earth & Elly
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: The Jerudo Ma Sorudo spell is a powerful Iai attack that can be held back and released instantly when the enemy gets within range.
- Knight Templar: Eventually mellowing
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Elly
- Storm of Blades: In the manga, the Varusere Ozu Māru Sorudon spell.
- Worf Effect: gets beaten by Goomu to showcase how dangerous he is and by extension how dangerous the much stronger Clear is.
- Worf Had the Flu: Elly was having a particularly bad attack of her disease at the time and they were out of medicine.
Riya & Aleshie
- Badass Normal: Aleshie can fight a demon in hand to hand combat with reasonable success.
- Death Seeker: Aleshie, though only briefly, so that his power could not be used to unseal Faudo
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Riya's tellytubby-esque appearance qualifies.
Karudio & Sauza
Initially presented as opponents to Ponygon, they later join the heroes to fight the Faudo cultists.
- An Ice Person: Karudio has ice powers, in contrast to Ponygon's fire.
- Harmless Freezing: Surprisingly, a subversion. Karudio's final spell produces such sheer cold that it's even dangerous for himself.
Ashuron & Riin Vise
Ashuron first makes his appearance as one of the final ten demons in the fight, an incredibly powerful dragon. After testing Zatch in battle, he reveals that he is seeking to defeat Clear Note, an evil demon with considerable strength of his own.
- Badass: He is one of the "unbeatable" demon children along with Brago, Zeon, and his brother, and he shows it during his fight with Clear. He is arguably the strongest of them and inherited the legendary 'Red Scales', allowing to take blows from even Clear Note.
- Giant Flyer
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Almost stabs Clear Note in two using his horn and his ultimate spell.
- Madeof Iron: Can No Sell all but Clear's most powerful attacks.
- Playing with Fire
- Our Dragons Are Different: Specifically, huge (even when children), intelligent, can become human, and love sake.
- Shape Shifter: Like Rein before him, he can take human form, though it's still pretty freaky.
- Super Speed: His ultimate spell, Shin Feiuruku, enables supersonic flight speed in a straight line.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Built up as the Big Good of the final arc. Sent back about a quarter of the way into it.
Cherish & Nicole
Voiced by: Ai Nagano (Cherish, JP), Sayaka Aida (Nicole, JP)
The demon girl who Ted is looking for, and the one who inspired him to defend people who are too weak to defend themselves. Her powers revovle around Crystals.
- Broken Pedestal: Albeit subverted.
- Cool Big Sis: How Ted and the other kids from the demon world regard her.
- Gemstone Assault: The Kofaru spell family.
- Little Miss Badass
- Magic Mirror / Cool Gate: Two of these were apparently summoned by the Gurādo Ma Kofaru spell in the manga. Cherish uses them for exit portals for the projectiles of the aforementioned spell. Basically allows her to fire from three different locations without moving.
- Samus is a Girl: Ted actually believed that Nicole was a boy when he met her by the first time, due of the clothes she was using.
- Small Girl, Big Gun / Sniper Rifle: The Gurādo Ma Kofaru spell in the manga. Still fires diamonds.
Suzume Mizuno/Suzy Mizuno
Kiyomaro's friend from school, she's ditzy and cheerful and has a huge crush on him. One of the first friend Kiyomaru has.
Actually not a villain herself, but manipulated by Zofis. Sherry's oldest and most trusted friend.
- Affably Evil: Rarely loses her cute, smiling demeanor even when she's being evil.
- Break the Cutie: Her backstory. Zofis is able to use this to his advantage. . .
- Broken Pedestal: It seems this way at first, when Koko, under Zofis' control, tries to break Sherry's spirit by revealing that she actually hates Sherry and is a truly evil person all on her own. Subverted in that, in the end, this really is all a trick of Zofis', and Koko really is the good friend Sherry remembered her being.
- Childhood Friends: With Sherry.
- Cuddle Bug: A villanous example: Koko sure likes to hug Zofis from behind. But the fact that she's brainwashed the whole time, however, makes it all look very creepy and squicky.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Zofis removes all memories of her actions while evil. He refuses to do so until Brago tells him that if he doesn't, he will personally make Zofis' life in the demon world a living hell.
- Mind-Control Eyes
- More Than Mind Control: Zofis attempts to convince Sherry it's this. It almost works.
- In some ways it is. Unlike other people whose minds Zofis simply controlled, Zofis created an entirely different personality out of the dark feelings in Koko's heart so that she would be his bookkeeper. Zofis restores her heart to normal after he gets beaten.
- Put on a Bus: Despite her being Sherry's initial reason for fighting, she totally disappears after Zofis is sent back. Justified, in that she goes off to college and Sherry wouldn't want to remind her of the battle anyway.
A four-legged beastlike demon who seeks to resurrect the giant demon Faudo for his own goals.
A demon with strong electrical powers who looks uncannily like Zatch. He's tied to the loss of Zatch's memories.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the manga, Zeon does start out rather dickish but as the battle goes on we start to see he does have a noble side and that his actions were purely driven by jealously which he eventually overcomes once he sees Zatch's past. In the anime, no such development exists, he's evil through and through and has nothing but contempt for Zatch to the bitter end, even when he's beaten. This was because the author had broken his hand as he was in the midst of the story arc and the anime rapidly caught up before he could do the battle between Zatch and Zeno. So the animation staff just had to go with anything and just ran with what they had.
- Arch-Enemy: To Zatch
- Big Bad: For the last half of the Faudo arc, and for most of the series seeing as he's the one who removed Zatch's memories.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Zatch's Abel.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: His spell selection is similar to Gash's, meaning his feats of extreme strength and speed come from pure physical training.
- Evil Albino
- Evil Twin: Of Zatch, natch. Literally.
- Exotic Eye Designs
- Flash Step: Spams this, often to get behind opponents.
- Freudian Excuse: His grudge against Zatch? He believed that, since Zatch got the incredible power of Bao, and he himself had to go through Training from Hell, that his parents favored Zatch. Once he sees Zatch's memories for himself, he has a moment of Heel Realization and repents.
- The Heavy
- Heel-Face Turn
- Kick the Dog: Beating Rops was all part of the competition, but he rubs it in by having Dufort Zeker the already burning book, destroying it instantly so Rops doesn't have the chance to give his bookkeeper a farewell.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Starts undergoing one when he catches a glimpse of Zatch's memories and seeing the corrupted form of Bao. Finally hits it when defeated and sees Zatch's unpleasant past. Sums it up as such: "Forgive me, Zatch. Your brother has been a fool."
- Out of Focus: He's introduced in one scene and then later we find out he burned Rops' book...and then we don't hear from him again 'til the second arc.
- Shock and Awe
- Slasher Smile: Very fond of these.
- Tyke Bomb: Trained from when he was three to be a candidate for king.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: Of Baou Zakeruga. Not until he sees Gash and Kiyomaro nearly devoured by its power, he doesn't.
Zeon's partner, a mysterious, quiet young man of initially unclear origin.
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Evil Albino
- Freudian Excuse: Dufort was raised in a lab environment from childhood, treated cruelly and anyone kind to him was removed. After years of torment and testing, he was given one final battery of tests that opened the path to his release, all while taunted by the scientist who had ruled his life. Turns out that A)His Answer Talker was being used for military application, B) He was being released into the Arctic to die rather than being freed, and, oh, C) His mother sold him for ten thousand dollars. Teaming up with Zeon doesn't seem so far-fetched, considering...
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Justified with his past.
- Not Good with People
- The Mentor: During the Clear Note arc, he helps the remaining protagonists bring out their greatest potential via his use of the Answer Talker.
- The Stoic
- Walking the Earth
The final villain of the series, an incredibly powerful demon who lives for destruction.
- Anti-Magic: The Supurifo spell family.
- BFG: The Zarefedōra spell creates a gigantic artillery cannon which doubles as a projectile.
- Big Bad: Of the last arc.
- Bishonen Line: Played straight with first, then averted with his One-Winged Angel form.
- Creepy Child: All Mamodo are children, but Clear Note looks the most human of them all.
- Dem Bones: The Bādorerugo spell conjures a giant, white, winged doll, which looks like a dragon skeleton.
- Evilutionary Biologist / In Your Nature to Destroy Yourselves: He claims his existance and intentions to be the natural result of evolution.
- Light Is Not Good
- No Sell: The Supurifo spell family, as mentioned above. Unlike other defensive spells, they don't stop attacks as much as they directly cancel their effects or make them dissapear.
- Omnicidal Maniac: To its logical extreme.
- One-Winged Angel
- Person of Mass Destruction: He compares himself to a nuke.
- Physical God/Invincible Villain: His first appearance; he hands Brago his first and only non-friendly defeat, destroys the full-power Baou Zakeruga, and nobody but Ashuron is able to lay so much as a finger on him (Brago pitched in at one critical moment, but only because Vino was out of energy). Interestingly enough, the fights with his various powered-up forms are much more even thanks to the heroes also getting much stronger.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: We never find out anything about Vino, the baby who wields Clear Note's spellbook.
- Power of the Void: The Radisu spell family.
- Pure Is Not Good: It's implied that the reason he's so powerful is that his bookkeeper is a baby and can thus supply completely "pure" heart energy.
- Recursive Ammo: Bādorerugo can shoot its hands which seperate into smaller parts. Every tiny part contains the Annihilation effect of the Radisu spell family.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: His current looks, goal and power level comes from him being controlled by his own spell, Shin Clear Seunousu.
- The Worf Effect: Delivers Brago the only one of these he ever gets. Brago, after training, returns the favor to his first One-Winged Angel form.
Papipurio & Lupa
Patty/Penny & Uri/Ururu
Gash self proclaimed lover who chase after him for long times. Partner with Uri, a poor man who Patty promised to help take of his hungry family in exchange for helping her find Gash.
- Berserk Button: Take a wild guess.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Oh sure, she's extremely cute and sweet at first. But if you make her mad....
- Big Eater: All mamodo are this, but Penny loves sweets in particular.
- Death Glare: A pretty nasty one once something or someone sets her off.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Gash. When she cut off her hair she look almost exactly like him. Their spell mirror each other and notibly "So Giaku" and "Baou Zakeruga".
- Evil Is Petty: She joins in with Zofis simply because Zatch doesn't remember her in the demon world despite the fact he lost his memory. They did try to explain this to her but Kiyo flubbed the explanation making Penny think she was being taken advantage of.
- Goofy Print Underwear: It has pictures of Zatch.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Heroic Sacrifice: Catches Demolt's attention so he would attack her instead of turning Uri to paste. Gash and Umagon keep her from dying, although her book is still burned.
- Important Haircut: Cuts it off to use in distracting Demolt, cementing her Heel-Face Turn. The grand finale shows she keeps the shorter hairstyle.
- Little Miss Badass: In their first fight Penny was actually kicking Zatch's butt for a good portion of the fight.
- Making a Splash
- Our Dragons Are Different: So Giaku, the dragon of water and Shin So Giaku.
- Pet the Dog: Though she was totally selfish and committed illegal acts in order to do this, her helping provide for Uri's family was pretty nice of her.
- Tsundere: Towards Byonko.
- Yandere: She comes off as sweet and nice at first, if vain. But once she learns Zatch doesn't remember her?Hoo boy. Finally stops being one with her Heel-Face Turn, though.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Oh no you wouldn't.
Byonko & Alvin
Rodeaux & Chita
Rodeaux is a powerful winged demon that allies with Riou to wake up Faudo.
- Enigmatic Minion
- Living Shadow: His power includes shadow manipulation and creating things made of shadow.
- Worthy Opponent: His treatment of Riya and Aleshie, especially Aleshie, is an odd case. The gist of it is that he considers them to be worthy opponents but can't bring himself to admit it, and therefore wants to crush and humiliate them to prove he's the better fighter.
- Villainous Friendship: Leo's defeat pretty much kills his drive. He later laments that he wasn't even friends with Leo, but it's unclear if he's in denial or sad that their businesslike relationship wasn't more personal.
One of the demon kids who team up with Riou to wake up Faudo, Keith's reason for doing so is mainly to take Faudo's power for himself. He holds a personal rivalrly with Bari.
Goomu & Mir
Thousand-Year Old Demons
Although not one of the demons Zatch and company fight, Goren is important because his spell is the one that sealed so many demons into stone in the first place. Did not become king, ultimately, as that honor went to Zatch and Zeon's father.
Laila & Albert
A young female demon who was trapped in stone for 1000 years. She is the only one who disagrees with Zofi's plans, and helps Gash's group upon their arrival in the Devolo Ruins.
A melon-obsessed demon whose head looks like the letter V. Appears for only a short time, but remains one of the most popular characters of the series.
- Trick Boss: The real threat is his human partner Genzo!
- Beware the Silly Ones: He nearly kills Dr. Riddles and is so strong that Kido is forced to sacrifice himself in order to beat him!
- Man Child
- Psychopathic Manchild
- To be fair, when you're stuck in a stone tablet alone for a thousand years, you're probably not going to come out mentally unscathed.
- Younger Than They Look: In the final chapter he's introduced as a new classmate of Zatch. Yes, despite his appearance, Belgim is actually six years old.
- Anti-Villain: Unlike the other 4, all he wants is to not be turned to stone again by Zophis.
- Brick Joke: Remember that stone Kiyo found and did all those weird things to...? He remembers it all.
- Star Power
- Redemption Equals Book Burning: After he loses and decides to fight with Zatch, Zophis appears and burns his book.
Zatch's number one nemesis who bullies him throughout the story and is the only one that he can't defeat.
The math teaher's wife.
- Gag Boobs
- Gonk: Her face and limbs makes her look nothing like any normal human in the show.
Voiced by: Mari Adachi