Characters: Zatch Bell!
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Ikue Otani (JP), Debi Derryberry (EN)On Kiyo's fourteenth birthday, a naked child crashes through his window, riding an eagle with a tuna on his back (no, we're serious). Zatch Bell is an amnesiac child with a red spell book, and one of one hundred contenders in a tournament to decide the king of the demon world for the next thousand years. Wields the Power of Lightning.
- All Your Powers Combined: Against Clear's final form, his book turns golden and all the defeated demons show up to lend their support, and in several cases, their spells. Saying it's awesome is an understatement.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Eater
- Boring Invincible Hero: A surprising subversion. He actually loses several times. First to Zeon (before he met Kiyo), then to Brago, then Bari, and finally Riou. And even then, the victories he does get aren't easy and Kiyo and he don't come out unscathed, heck a few time they're nearly beaten to the brink of death.
- They've also a number of technical losses, such as the fight against Shinichi and Eshros - Shinichi ends up with Kiyomaro's book after the clash of Guranbaison and Zakeru, but accepts his 'win' as his personal growth, casts aside Eshros, and returns their book to let them send him home.
- Breath Weapon: Most of his spells are projected from his mouth.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Zeon's Cain.
- Clothes Make the Superman: While Zatch is fairly powerful on his own, he learns the secrets of his regenerating, shielding mantle late in the story.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blonde hair and gold eyes.
- Death Glare: Enough to stun resident badass Bari.
- Dynamic Entry
- Elemental Eye Colours: He has gold eyes and electric powers.
- The Good King: His goal to become one.
- Go Through Me: Zatch takes a lot of hits to protect Kiyo. The one time Kiyo explicitly tells Zatch not to do this, Kiyo dies.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Kid Hero: He's no more than 8 years old.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- Magic Pants
- Magnetic Hero: And we don't just mean Jikerdor.
- Naked First Impression: With Kiyo.
- Naked on Arrival
- Naked People Are Funny
- Oblivious to Love
- Our Dragons Are Different: His strongest attack spell, "Baou Zakeruga", which condenses into a huge electrical dragon.
- Power Glows: His physical enhancement spell, "Rauzaruk".
- Shock and Awe
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Brago and Zeon's blue.
- Super Mode: Rauzaruk, the sixth spell, enhances Zatch's strength and speed exponentially for thirty seconds.At the cost of not being able to use any other spells. Thankfully Kiyo figured this out pretty quickly. The Golden Book in the final chapters, which allowed Gash/Zatch to use souped-up spells of past mamodo who were already defeated.
- Super Strength: True of all demons, but most obvious with Zatch, who stopped Pamoon's strongest spell with his body alone.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Yellowtail tuna
- Verbal Tic: 'Unu!' This was apparently a way of royalty speaking, started after finding out who his real family was
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Seriously, where the hell did that eagle come from?
- Awesomeness by Analysis: With an IQ of 180, this is his own special skill. Later on, when he gains the Answer Talker this is only amplified.
- Back from the Dead: He is in fact dead for a short period, only has his heart restarted by an emotionally broken Zatch pounding on his chest, and even that isn't enough. It also takes a lot of Saifogeos and a long dip in restorative Faudo juice before he wakes up, and his allies take a lot of damage by then.
- Badass Bookworm
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of the Faudo saga, when he finally comes back.
- Brilliant but Lazy: At the beginning of the series, he chooses not to go to school, in part due to bullying and in part because he's so smart it's a triviality.
- Butt Monkey: On a lot of occasions.
- Death Glare: On par with Zatch's. Possibly the true reason they make such good partners.
- Demon Head: Taken to epic levels in the final fight with Rodeaux.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Performed in the battle against Riou/Leo.
- Informed Flaw: His Jerkass / Insufferable Genius tendencies early on tend to be quite informed since his classmates were equally rude to him.
- And according to his father, once middle school came around and kids realised how much smarter than them Kiyo is, they shunned him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's arrogant and short-tempered, but a good guy deep down.
- Nightmare Face: Gains a disturbing demonic face with fangs and horns whenever he's really enraged.
- Oblivious to Love: Both Suzume and Megumi have feelings for him. Kiyo has no clue, one of the only areas where his intelligence fails him.
- Only Sane Man: Often when faced with the antics of the rest of the group.
- Reed Richards Is Useless: Subverted, once he gains the Answer Talker power and has some downtime to ponder it, his first ideas are how he can help the rest of the world with it.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Starts out as an ill-tempered Jerkass to soon become a Jerk with a Heart of Gold. More obvious after character development. By the end of the series, he's a Nice Guy who only gets mean if angry or frustrated.
- Unexplained Recovery: Along with a very memorable He's Back.
- Younger Than He Looks: Um, yeah, he don't look like a middle school student.
- Barrier Warrior: Her spell theme.
- Berserk Button: When people look at her panties. It was enough to awaken her strongest attack spell, which is completely fueled by anger and hate.
- The Dreaded: She's notoriously known to be a bully in the demon world, and well deserving of her nickname. See below.
- Fiery Redhead: FYI, her nickname in the demon world is "Tia the Strangler", of course we know why.
- Goofy Print Underwear: And if you see them you will regret it.
- Healing Hands
- Healing Shiv: Saifogeo, a giant magical sword that heals whoever it stabs. Really.
- Little Miss Badass
- The Medic
- Combat Medic: Both used and averted. She does have attack spells, but the first is incredibly weak, the second is an Attack Reflector that can be broken if the opponent's attack is too powerful for it to handle, and the third is a Cool, but Inefficient attack that requires her to be extremely angered to be used.
- The Power of Friendship & The Power of Love: Chajiru Seshirudon
- The Power of Hate: Chajiru Saifodon
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In the anime, where she had pink hair. The author Makoto Raiku, in the other hand, depicts her as red-haired in the color spreads and volume covers.
- Betty and Veronica: Veronica to Suzy's Betty.
- Cool Big Sis: Especially to Tia.
- Defeat by Modesty: Narrowly averted in the Faudo arc; she nearly refuses to say Abhorrent Admirer Unko Tin-tin/Poosophagus's name as part of a gag test of wisdom.
- Idol Singer
- Rescue Romance: It's pretty clear she fell for Kiyo the second he showed up to save her and Tia from Maruss.
- Ship Tease: With Kiyo. All the time. It seems to be less frequent in the manga and more in the anime.
- Though the manga had one large moment when Tia attempted to give Kiyo mouth-to-mouth...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Particularly invoked in his fights with Bago and Goomu.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Kanchome's apparently useless power and ridiculous demeanor make him easy to underestimate. It's almost always a bad idea especially after his training with Dufort.
- Big Brother Instinct: With Rusca, a little girl who he befriended while he got strayed in a rural village in Spain.
- Cowardly Lion: At least once he begins to get some stronger spells...
- Delicious Distraction: Candies, which actually led him to nothing but trouble.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power:
- Once you figure out how to use these powers correctly, they're useful. Kanchome's illusions are vital to a number of victories, and once he develops stronger techniques, is arguably the strongest demon in the series.
- His 3 final spells allow him to trick a foe into cancelling their attacks, use their own attacks against them (and only that demon) and most powerful, his illusion world, where the pain is real (at least through mental truama.) During a training session, he managed to beat Zatch.
- Once you figure out how to use these powers correctly, they're useful. Kanchome's illusions are vital to a number of victories, and once he develops stronger techniques, is arguably the strongest demon in the series.
- Master of Illusion: Particularly his final spell, which traps the target in a full illusionary world with no escape.
- Oddball Doppelganger: He can transform into replicas of other characters, but they're far from perfect. One had a nose that would make Cyrano De Bergerac feel normal and another has a forehead as big as the torso, luckily for him the people he had to fool were idiots
- Self-Duplication: The fourth spell, "Dima Buruk," produces a number of Kanchome clones, each with comparable speed and strength to a Rauzaruk-enhanced Zatch.
- Sweet Tooth: He apparently lives entirely on candy and desserts.
- Took a Level in Badass: Boy, did he. After several months of training with Dufort, he learns how to directly affect the opponent's mind, making his illusions unbeatable. He even beats Zatch in a practice match.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Compared to Zatch's electrical powers, Tia's shielding and healing abilities, and Ponygon's super-speed armor, transforming into something without any boost to strength seems a bit lame.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: His strongest spell began doing this to him until Folgore snapped him out of it.
- Agent Peacock
- Bowdlerize: 'Chichi wo moge/Groping Breasts/Pick the Boobies' becomes 'Hey Hey Let's Dance All Day'.
- Butt Monkey: Bordering with Iron Butt Monkey.
- Clothing Damage: Of the comic variety.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Once we find out his origin story.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was a feared juvenile delinquent who beat up anyone in his way. Led to being feared by his hometown and being kicked out by his own parents at gunpoint. After seeing a show about hippos, he goes from being a 'lion' to a 'hippo.'
- Death Glare: When he gets serious, his eyes take on the same designs as Gash, Zeon, and Ashuron to show his incredible willpower.
- Delinquents: What he used to be. It appears to still haunt him to this day.
- Determinator: It's pretty much impossible to get him to stay down.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Added in the dub to hide his original bare ass via clothing damage.
- Handsome Lech
- Hidden Depths: He's a notorious womanizer, who still finds time to visit sick kids in the hospital for a special performance. He also showcases considerable strength of will for a preppy pop star. Not even counting his past as a delinquent...
- Idol Singer
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Come ON, his most popular song (in the original Japanese) is about boobs!
- Made of Iron: He invariably takes more damage than Kanchome when the two are in battle. It never seems to slow him down for very long.
- Theme Music Power-Up: When Kanchome sings "Iron Man Folgore," Parco rises up to fight once more despite his injuries.
- Subverted that after Kiyo casts Zakeru several times, he finds himself too numb to try and stand up again. The manga has him look fearful of Kanchome's singing and tries to crawl away.
- Adaptive Armor: His ultimate armor spell in the manga can shapeshift.
- Boring but Practical: His true forte is speed. Sure it's not as flashy as throwing lightning bolts, but he can dodge almost anything and hit pretty hard thanks to it.
- Cowardly Lion: He initially didn't want to find his partner due to a fear of battle. He gets over it when his friends need him to step up.
- Instant Armor: The effect of every spell he learns.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: He keeps trying to tell everyone his name is Schneider, but nobody understands him. Once they are back to the demon world, he has grown fond of the Umagon/Ponygon name, even though everyone already knows his real name.
- Playing with Fire: While the third spell is activated and his armor specialty.
- Took a Level in Badass: His book owner was late to the party, but once he showed up...
- The Unintelligible: To everyone but Sunbeam and fellow horse Karudio, though Sunbeam still can't understand his name and Karudio never tells anyone because he's sort of a dick like that.
Voiced by: Hozumi Gouda (JP), Henry Dittman (EN)Ponygon's partner, he is a automobile engineer from Germany. One of the older members of the group and one of the few to understand Ponygon (albeit not able to figure out his name.)
- Adults Are Useless: A subversion, since he's one of the older contenders in the fight, and holds himself to the ideal of being a "cool adult" (which basically means reliable and trustworthy).
- Catch Phrase: "GROOVY!"
- Continuity Nod: In a breather chapter, everyone is trying to learn to ice skate, but all fail spectacularly. Sunbeam is especially livid banging and cursing the ice (as it wasn't that much later from his fight against Sauza and Karudio.
- Friend to All Living Things: Animals love him, and he can understand their thoughts. The epilogue shows him living on an African animal sanctuary.
- Germanic Efficiency- A mild example. Sunbeam is a German engineer, specializing in automobiles. The epilogue shows him helping out by starting automobile factories in Africa.
- Gratuitous English: Very fond of in the Japanese version.
- Ship Tease: With nun Elle Chivas. The end shows they're living together in Africa.
Voiced by: Kazunari Kojima (JP), Wally Wingert (EN)One of the strongest Mamodo ever, he is a sullen and serious contender. He mellows a bit in the tournament and gains more drive. He strives to be a 'strict, but kind' king. His power is Gravity.
- Badass: One of the 4 Mamodo Prodigies and runner-up of the Kings Trial.
- Big Eater: Most mamodo are. But he is seen eating a whole crocodile. Raw.
- Casting a Shadow: His powers actually manifest as gravity manipulation.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- The Dreaded: He's pretty feared among the mamodo as a scary guy. They're right.
- He is also one of the Four Prodigies, four mamodo children so mighty that only adults could fight them. The others are the two dragon siblings and Zeon.
- Gravity Master
- Jerk Ass: Generally rude and doesn't think highly of humans.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Zatch's red.
- Sociopathic Hero: Generally rude and doesn't think highly of humans. He even threatened the life of Sherry's butler once. To remind, Brago is no more than 15. Subverted after plenty of Character Development.
- Abusive Parents: Sherry's mother, at least. She was immensely overbearing and forced a load of work and practices upon a very young Sherry. Her father's whereabouts are unknown.
- Her mother was so abrasive and disapproving that Sherry once attempted to kill herself.
- Action Girl
- Badass Normal: Unlike other bookeepers, who usually just stand back and casts spells, she joins the fray as much as Brago, usually fighting the opposing bookeeper.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: She starts off about as tough as you'd expect a genteel 18 year-old girl to be. After training herself to keep up with Brago, she's tough enough to floor some Mamodo.
- Childhood Friends: With Koko.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: She struggles to wake Brainwashed and Crazy Koko, who insists that she turned evil out of her own free will.
- Interrupted Suicide: As a little girl, she couldn't take her mother's abuse and attempted to drown herself, but Koko saved her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Spares Zatch and Kiyo the first time because she ultimately feels that they share a similar motivation (trying to save their friend) and by tearing friends apart, she'd be no better than Zofis.
- Lady of War
- Ojou Ringlets
- Rich Bitch: Sort of; she's not a snob, but she is kind of bitchy And can you blame her?
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: To Zofis.
- The Unfettered
- Whip It Good: She has a cane for all purposes which doubles as a whip. She has used it offensively.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Has an unspecified ability to predict incoming attacks.
- Badass Normal: He has high reflexes that enable him to dodge things most humans can such as shards of stone from an explosion and even Mamodo spells.
- The Worf Effect: Fights Kiyomaro and Gash to a stand still then loses to Zeon to show the latter's power.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Kiyomaro to be this before they fight, which is why he wanted to.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: His spells come in the form of powerful punches and kicks.
- Face-Heel Turn: In the Faudo arc, to save Li-en from the curse. He changes back the moment it is lifted.
- Interspecies Romance: With Li-en.
- The Worf Effect: Subjected to it at least twice- nearly killed by Demolt (who didn't do that much damage to anyone else), and one of the first to fall in Faudo.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Li-en.
Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa (JP), Gwendoline Yeo (EN)Wonrei's partner, she is from China and her father is a crime boss, leading to her being rather lonely.
- Anime Chinese Girl
- Faux Action Girl: Wonrei normally does the fighting, after all, and the one time she gets to blows with an antagonist she's quickly taken down, despite supposedly being skilled in martial arts herself.
- To her credit, she does do well against Mooks but most other enemies are just stronger than a human could be.
- Interspecies Romance: With Wonrei.
- Mafia Princess
- Odango Hair
- Star-Crossed Lovers: As she points out, even if Wonrei wins, they'll be separated. She is able to accept this because he'll always be in her heart.
Voiced by: Naozumi Takahashi (JP)
- Badass Pacifist: None of his spells can be used offensively, but his spells are still powerful, one able to launch a red beam that slows down opponents.
- Beware the Silly Ones: In the Faudo Arc's final battle, he beats Rodeaux, Zeon's incredibly deadly Dragon, to a pulp using nothing but support-type spells. He's in control the entire fight, and only loses because Rodeaux takes a cheap shot at Elle.
- Character Development: Become less pervert and more courageous as the story march on.
- Hyper Awareness: His demon sensing skills are so sharp he can dodge attacks without looking at them, often with miniscule margin of error.
- Panty Thief: Although he's not above bras and swimsuits either.
- Pinocchio Nose: His lips get longer whenever he lies.
Voiced by: Kotono Mitsuishi (JP)Momon's partner, a nun who travels the world to stop Mamodo from fighting.
- Armor-Piercing Slap
- Catch Phrase: Constantly says "Oyoyoyoyoyo" whenever she's nervous. Also, how many times have you heard her say "Momon that's bad!"?
- Hidden Depths: She's VERY good at singing, especially Beethoven's Ode to Joy.
- Nun Too Holy: Played a bit.
- Parental Substitute: Tries to be one for Momon anyway, yet despite his perverted nature and never listening to her, Elle still cares for him and tries her best to protect him when his antics get him into trouble. She is a nun after all.
- Ship Tease: With Kafka Sunbeam.
- Technical Pacifist: She'd rather not use violence. Fittingly, her partner has absolutely no attack spells at all and was quite proud he never learned any offensive spells.
- Berserk Button: Hurting the Professor makes him explode with rage.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Mini Mook: His Koburuku spell summons a bunch of mini Kidos... from his mouth.
- More Dakka
- Super Gullible: No matter how many times he falls for it, he still gets blown away by his book owner's obviously exaggerated stories only to get devastated when the Dr. Riddles reveals he was just kidding.
- Took a Level in Badass: Kid really kicks his combat prowess up a notch when the Professor is badly injured by Belgim E.O.
- Wave Motion Gun
- Badass Grandpa
- Big Good: He's the one who gathers the book users and demons to fight Zofis and the one that calls the shots.
- Catch Phrase: "Kidding!" or in Japanese, "It's a lie!"
- Cool Old Guy
- Failure Knight: In his backstory.
- The Gadfly: Many times, when Kido explains something Dr. Riddles had explained earlier, Dr. Riddles will just exclaim his Catch Phrase.
- Heroic BSOD: When Kido finds him, the doctor is sitting in a mansion, surrounded by shelves of books and doing nothing with his knowledge. Then we find out why...
- Insufferable Genius: "I'm Professor Riddles, the one who knows ALL!" Even Teen Genius Kiyo is annoyed. Especially Teen Genius Kiyo.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's an incorrigible troll, and delights in insulting Kiyo even as he's gathering heroic demons to face the Big Bad. Kiyo is left wanting to both strangle him and thank him.
- My Greatest Failure: The reason he was sitting around doing nothing? He used to be a surgeon. Then he failed to save a child, and the guilt drove him into seclusion. In the original, the child's also his grandson.
- Team Dad: Particularly for Kiyomaro.
Vincent Bari & Gustav
Voiced by: Ryōtarō Okiayu (Vincent Bari, JP), Unshou Ishizuka (Gustav, JP), Wally Wingert (Vincent Bari, En), Crispin Freeman (Gustav, EN)
- Armor-Piercing Question: Gustav, to Bari: "What kind of king do you want to be?"
- Badass: One of a very select number to defeat Zatch straight-up. According to Keith, the strongest demons in the fight are the royalty (such as Zeno), the ones who have undergone the Elite Training (Brago), and the members of the mysterious Dragon Clan (Ashuron and Elzador); shortly thereafter, Bari reveals he's already beaten Elzador despite falling into none of those groups. He's actually the only demon in the fight to go completely undefeated throughout (even Brago lost round one against Clear) and the only reason he doesn't make it into the top ten is ending up on the wrong end of a Diabolus Ex Machina.
- Blood Knight: A mild deconstruction. Prior to his fight with Gash, fighting was the one thing Bari liked but without a propose beyond that he was growing more and more dissatisfied with his life. He began to gain purpose after fighting Zatch.
- Cool Old Guy: Gustav
- Death Glare: His 'strong eyes' that drive Keith up the wall
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Keith considers his fight with Elzador to be this. Bari chides Keith for not having the guts to think it was possible.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: His spells are all have a twister theme.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: To Gash.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Manly Tears: During his Heroic Sacrifice
- Slasher Smile: Pretty much the only kind he is capable of.
- Smoking Is Cool: Gustav.
- Stealth Mentor: Gustav pretty much manipulated the entirety of the fight between Bari and Gash to teach Bari that he needs to be motivated.
- This Is a Drill: Generally, his spells revolve around twisters, but a couple of his spells concentrate them into drills on his arms.
- Took a Level in Badass: Yes, even further.
- Training from Hell: What do you do when you want to get stronger? Well, if you're Bari you go challenge a freaking dragon, that's what you do. He fought Ashuron's brother one-on-one and won.
- Worthy Opponent: To Gash and Kiyomaru.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Played mostly straight. Her powers are mainly on powerful offensive capabilities. The end implies she has moves that allow her to protect people; her strongest allowing people to survive in space.
- The Berserker: The effect of her master Shiori's spells.
- The Gwen Stacy: To Zatch. Her situation is almost Zatch's entire motivation for wanting to be King.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Kolulu was saddled with one to make sure that she was willing to fight.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Lasts a single episode/chapter.
- Badass: As opposed to other Mamodo he doesn't use spells at all save for one that heals him to full health. However, he took out some thugs armed with machine gun using only his fists.
- Badass Normal: Compared to other Mamodo, at least. He fights just like a human. An incredibly strong, super-fast human.
- Healing Factor: It's his one ability and is easily the most powerful healing spell in the series.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Danny makes virtually no effort to defend himself against automatic fire, knowing full well that his spell will do away with the damage immediately.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (JP)A large, animal-like mamomdo who is a friend of Zatch's from the mamodo world. Despite his scary exterior, he's a nice guy concerned with helping his partner Kyle overcome his timidity.
- Badass Normal: Effectively, since Kyle was to scared to cast spells Rein had to beat any challengers barehanded.
- Gentle Giant
- Heel-Face Turn: In his backstory. He was originally a violent, rampaging demon who was feared and hated. Once, he severely injured himself, and despite his threats, Zatch brought him back from the brink of death. Afterward, Rein reformed.
- Shapeshifting: Can also take human appearance.
Voiced by: Junko Takeuchi (JP), Michael P. Greco (EN)A young, tough-acting demon with a good heart. He's not interested in fighting so much as finding a certain someone.
- Big Sister Worship: Towards Cherish.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: His weapon of choice. Unlike many other demons, Ted has no true attack spells. Instead, he gets . . .
- Super Mode: Ted's gears. They can only be used in sequence, one at a time, and each raises his speed and strength to formidable heights.
Earth & Elly
Voiced by: Hideyuki Umezu (Earth, JP), Konami Yoshida (Elly, JP)
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: The Jerudo Ma Sorudo spell is a powerful Iai attack that can be held back and released instantly when the enemy gets within range.
- Knight Templar: Eventually mellowing
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Elly
- Storm of Blades: In the manga, the Varusere Ozu Māru Sorudon spell.
- Worf Effect: gets beaten by Goomu to showcase how dangerous he is and by extension how dangerous the much stronger Clear is.
- Worf Had the Flu: Elly was having a particularly bad attack of her disease at the time and they were out of medicine.
Riya & Aleshie
- Badass Normal: Aleshie can fight a demon in hand to hand combat with reasonable success.
- Death Seeker: Aleshie, though only briefly, so that his power could not be used to unseal Faudo
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Riya's tellytubby-esque appearance qualifies.
Karudio & Sauza
- An Ice Person: Karudio has ice powers, in contrast to Ponygon's fire.
- Harmless Freezing: Surprisingly, a subversion. Karudio's final spell produces such sheer cold that it's even dangerous for himself.
Ashuron & Riin ViseAshuron first makes his appearance as one of the final ten demons in the fight, an incredibly powerful dragon. After testing Zatch in battle, he reveals that he is seeking to defeat Clear Note, an evil demon with considerable strength of his own.
- Badass: He is one of the "unbeatable" demon children along with Brago, Zeon, and his brother, and he shows it during his fight with Clear. He is arguably the strongest of them and inherited the legendary 'Red Scales', allowing to take blows from even Clear Note.
- Giant Flyer
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Almost stabs Clear Note in two using his horn and his ultimate spell.
- Madeof Iron: Can No Sell all but Clear's most powerful attacks.
- Playing with Fire
- Our Dragons Are Different: Specifically, huge (even when children), intelligent, can become human, and love sake.
- Shape Shifter: Like Rein before him, he can take human form, though it's still pretty freaky.
- Super Speed: His ultimate spell, Shin Feiuruku, enables supersonic flight speed in a straight line.
- Too Fast to Stop: Has a bit of difficulty when it comes to maneuvering.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Built up as the Big Good of the final arc. Sent back about a quarter of the way into it.
Cherish & Nicole
Voiced by: Ai Nagano (Cherish, JP), Sayaka Aida (Nicole, JP)The demon girl who Ted is looking for, and the one who inspired him to defend people who are too weak to defend themselves. Her powers revovle around Crystals.
- Broken Pedestal: Albeit subverted.
- Cool Big Sis: How Ted and the other kids from the demon world regard her.
- Gemstone Assault: The Kofaru spell family.
- Little Miss Badass
- Magic Mirror: Two of these were apparently summoned by the Gurādo Ma Kofaru spell in the manga. Cherish uses them for exit portals for the projectiles of the aforementioned spell. Basically allows her to fire from three different locations without moving.
- Samus is a Girl: Ted actually believed that Nicole was a boy when he met her by the first time, due of the clothes she was using.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: The Gurādo Ma Kofaru spell in the manga. Still fires diamonds.
Suzume Mizuno/Suzy Mizuno
Voiced by: Tomoko Akiya (JP), Colleen O'Shaughnessey (EN)Kiyomaro's friend from school, she's ditzy and cheerful and has a huge crush on him. One of the first friend Kiyomaru has.
- Betty and Veronica: Betty to Megumi's Veronica.
- Brainless Beauty: Downplayed; she's cute, but in-universe she's considered rather plain.
- Butt Monkey
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Hooooh boy.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Damsel in Distress
- The Ditz
- Genki Girl
- Girl Next Door
- Nice Girl
- No Sense of Direction
- Ordinary High-School Student: As ordinary as she gets, anyway.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Plucky Girl: She's as feisty as she is ditzy.
- Static Character: She gets zero character development, never wavering from her role as comic relief.
- Unknown Rival: To Shion Hibiki and Megumi.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs. And to be fair, she's still not all that bad (ex: she was jealous of Filler Arc girl Shion and considered her a rival for Kiyo...but at the end, when it's announced that Shion has transferred out of the school, she's actually genuinely sad about Shion's departure.)
Voiced by: Toshiko Fujita (JP), Susan Silo (EN)
- Arch-Enemy: To Sherry and Brago.
- Bad Boss: All of his minions, and even Koko, are just tools for him to become king.
- Big Bad: Of the first major arc, at least.
- Big Eater: Like all Mamodo, but in Zofis' case, he prefers huge feasts fit for a king, which mirrors his personality and ambitions. Also, unlike other Mamodo such as Zatch or Brago, Zofis doesn't scarf down his meals like an animal. Quite the opposite, as shown in ep.69.
- Dirty Coward
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: His face, his colored fingernails, his outfit, and even his voice (to an extent) make his gender somewhat ambiguous to viewers. But all the characters can tell he's male.
- Evil Sorcerer: Unlike most Mamodo, Zofis has powers that go far beyond his book spells.
- Expy: His look, voice, personality, and even his attacks are very reminiscent of Freeza.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: There are hints that he felt inferior back in the mamodo world, but as the Big Bad, he styles himself like the king he intends to be.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Manipulative Bastard: Literally; he has the power to manipulate the hearts and mind of humans and Mamodos alike.
- Smug Snake: He actually is incredibly powerful and can do things such as fly, teleport, and mentally dominate others without the use of his book. But faced with someone he knows is his equal or superior and he isn't so smug.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His powers are centered around explosions.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: His ultimate goal is to become king of the Mamodo world and rule with an iron fist. He fails
- Villainous Breakdown: After Brago threatens him. Actually, he started to break down in episode 86 and it just kept on going. Brago's threats are the final straw, and he's reduced to a sobbing wreck.
- Affably Evil: Rarely loses her cute, smiling demeanor even when she's being evil.
- Break the Cutie: Her backstory. Zofis is able to use this to his advantage. . .
- Broken Pedestal: It seems this way at first, when Koko, under Zofis' control, tries to break Sherry's spirit by revealing that she actually hates Sherry and is a truly evil person all on her own. Subverted in that, in the end, this really is all a trick of Zofis', and Koko really is the good friend Sherry remembered her being.
- Childhood Friends: With Sherry.
- Cuddle Bug: A villanous example: Koko sure likes to hug Zofis from behind. But the fact that she's brainwashed the whole time, however, makes it all look very creepy and squicky.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Zofis removes all memories of her actions while evil. He refuses to do so until Brago tells him that if he doesn't, he will personally make Zofis' life in the demon world a living hell.
- Mind-Control Eyes
- More Than Mind Control: Zofis attempts to convince Sherry it's this. It almost works.
- In some ways it is. Unlike other people whose minds Zofis simply controlled, Zofis created an entirely different personality out of the dark feelings in Koko's heart so that she would be his bookkeeper. Zofis restores her heart to normal after he gets beaten.
- Put on a Bus: Despite her being Sherry's initial reason for fighting, she totally disappears after Zofis is sent back. Justified, in that she goes off to college and Sherry wouldn't want to remind her of the battle anyway.
Riou/LeoA four-legged beastlike demon who seeks to resurrect the giant demon Faudo for his own goals.
- Big Bad: Of the Faudo arc
- Cast from Hit Points: [spoiler: His curse hurts him just as much as it hurts the victims.]]
- Clown Car: You know that mouth on his chest? His partner's in there.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: His final spell turns him into a giant berserk beast. He's still no match for Zeon.
- Hijacked by Ganon
- Unstoppable Rage: Aforementioned final spell.
- Weapon of Choice: His staff.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: We find out in flashback that everything he did was due to the pressure of representing his family in the tournament, and he was seriously conflicted about some of the things he did.
Voiced by: Urara Takano (JP), Debi Derryberry (EN)A demon with strong electrical powers who looks uncannily like Zatch. He's tied to the loss of Zatch's memories.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the manga, Zeon does start out rather dickish but as the battle goes on we start to see he does have a noble side and that his actions were purely driven by jealously which he eventually overcomes once he sees Zatch's past. In the anime, no such development exists, he's evil through and through and has nothing but contempt for Zatch to the bitter end, even when he's beaten. This was because the author had broken his hand as he was in the midst of the story arc and the anime rapidly caught up before he could do the battle between Zatch and Zeno. So the animation staff just had to go with anything and just ran with what they had.
- Arch-Enemy: To Zatch
- Big Bad: For the last half of the Faudo arc, and for most of the series seeing as he's the one who removed Zatch's memories.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Zatch's Abel.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: His spell selection is similar to Gash's, meaning his feats of extreme strength and speed come from pure physical training.
- Evil Albino
- Evil Twin: Of Zatch, natch. Literally.
- Exotic Eye Designs
- Flash Step: Spams this, often to get behind opponents.
- Freudian Excuse: His grudge against Zatch? He believed that, since Zatch got the incredible power of Bao, and he himself had to go through Training from Hell, that his parents favored Zatch. Once he sees Zatch's memories for himself, he has a moment of Heel Realization and repents.
- The Heavy
- Heel-Face Turn
- Kick the Dog: Beating Rops was all part of the competition, but he rubs it in by having Dufort Zeker the already burning book, destroying it instantly so Rops doesn't have the chance to give his bookkeeper a farewell.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Starts undergoing one when he catches a glimpse of Zatch's memories and seeing the corrupted form of Bao. Finally hits it when defeated and sees Zatch's unpleasant past. Sums it up as such: "Forgive me, Zatch. Your brother has been a fool."
- Out of Focus: He's introduced in one scene and then later we find out he burned Rops' book...and then we don't hear from him again 'til the second arc.
- Shock and Awe
- Slasher Smile: Very fond of these.
- Tyke Bomb: Trained from when he was three to be a candidate for king.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: Of Baou Zakeruga. Not until he sees Gash and Kiyomaro nearly devoured by its power, he doesn't.
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Evil Albino
- Freudian Excuse: Dufort was raised in a lab environment from childhood, treated cruelly and anyone kind to him was removed. After years of torment and testing, he was given one final battery of tests that opened the path to his release, all while taunted by the scientist who had ruled his life. Turns out that A)His Answer Talker was being used for military application, B) He was being released into the Arctic to die rather than being freed, and, oh, C) His mother sold him for ten thousand dollars. Teaming up with Zeon doesn't seem so far-fetched, considering...
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Justified with his past.
- Not Good with People
- The Mentor: During the Clear Note arc, he helps the remaining protagonists bring out their greatest potential via his use of the Answer Talker.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Was angered so much when Apollo asked how much hatred he was hiding to the point where he attempted to finish him and Rops off with a 'Giga' level spell, until Zeon convinced him otherwise.
- Walking the Earth
Clear NoteThe final villain of the series, an incredibly powerful demon who lives for destruction.
- Anti-Magic: The Supurifo spell family.
- BFG: The Zarefedōra spell creates a gigantic artillery cannon which doubles as a projectile.
- Big Bad: Of the last arc.
- Bishonen Line: Played straight with first, then averted with his One-Winged Angel form.
- Creepy Child: All Mamodo are children, but Clear Note looks the most human of them all.
- Dem Bones: The Bādorerugo spell conjures a giant, white, winged doll, which looks like a dragon skeleton.
- Evilutionary Biologist: He claims his existance and intentions to be the natural result of evolution.
- Invincible Villain: His first appearance; he hands Brago his first and only non-friendly defeat, destroys the full-power Baou Zakeruga, and nobody but Ashuron is able to lay so much as a finger on him (Brago pitched in at one critical moment, but only because Vino was out of energy). Interestingly enough, the fights with his various powered-up forms are much more even thanks to the heroes also getting much stronger.
- Light Is Not Good
- No Sell: The Supurifo spell family, as mentioned above. Unlike other defensive spells, they don't stop attacks as much as they directly cancel their effects or make them dissapear.
- Omnicidal Maniac: To its logical extreme.
- One-Winged Angel
- Person of Mass Destruction: He compares himself to a nuke.
- Physical God
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: We never find out anything about Vino, the baby who wields Clear Note's spellbook.
- Power of the Void: The Radisu spell family.
- Pure Is Not Good: It's implied that the reason he's so powerful is that his bookkeeper is a baby and can thus supply completely "pure" heart energy.
- Recursive Ammo: Bādorerugo can shoot its hands which seperate into smaller parts. Every tiny part contains the Annihilation effect of the Radisu spell family.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: His current looks, goal and power level comes from him being controlled by his own spell, Shin Clear Seunousu.
- The Worf Effect: Delivers Brago the only one of these he ever gets. Brago, after training, returns the favor to his first One-Winged Angel form.
Papipurio & Lupa
Voiced by: Michiru Yamazaki (Papipurio, JP), Chihiro Sakurai (Lupa, JP), Sam Riegel (Papipurio, EN), Dorothy Elias Fahn (Lupa, EN)
- Heel-Face Turn
- Lucky Bastard: Manages to get into the last ten mamodo despite being absurdly weak.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Lupa kind of looks modeled after Whoopi Goldberg from her role in Sister Act.
- Nun Too Holy: Lupa is dressed in a nun outfit but she never acts as such.
- Replacement Goldfish: For Lupa's deceased son.
- So Last Season: Their problem is their spells are always at the level everyone else's were one arc ago.
- Standard Status Effects: Papipurio's spells are full of things like paralysis, itching, and blinding effects.
Patty/Penny & Uri/Ururu
Voiced by: Naoko Matsui (Patty, JP), Kosuke Toriumi (Ururu, JP), Stephanie Sheh (Patty, EN), Stephen Apostolina (Ururu, EN)Gash self proclaimed lover who chase after him for long times. Partner with Uri, a poor man who Patty promised to help take of his hungry family in exchange for helping her find Gash.
- Berserk Button: Take a wild guess.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Oh sure, she's extremely cute and sweet at first but beneath it she's extremely selfish, vain, ultimately just unpleasant. Also if you make her mad....
- Big Eater: All mamodo are this, but Penny loves sweets in particular.
- Death Glare: A pretty nasty one once something or someone sets her off.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Gash. When she cut off her hair she look almost exactly like him. Their spell mirror each other and notibly "So Giaku" and "Baou Zakeruga".
- Evil Is Petty: She joins in with Zofis simply because Zatch doesn't remember her in the demon world despite the fact he lost his memory. They did try to explain this to her but Kiyo flubbed the explanation making Penny think she was being taken advantage of.
- Goofy Print Underwear: It has pictures of Zatch.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Heroic Sacrifice: Catches Demolt's attention so he would attack her instead of turning Uri to paste. Gash and Umagon keep her from dying, although her book is still burned.
- Important Haircut: Cuts it off to use in distracting Demolt, cementing her Heel-Face Turn. The grand finale shows she keeps the shorter hairstyle.
- Little Miss Badass: In their first fight Penny was actually kicking Zatch's butt for a good portion of the fight.
- Making a Splash
- Our Dragons Are Different: So Giaku, the dragon of water and Shin So Giaku.
- Pet the Dog: Though she was totally selfish and committed illegal acts in order to do this, her helping provide for Uri's family was pretty nice of her.
- Sweet Tooth: See Big Eater
- Spoiled Brat: Subverted in that nobody else does, she pretty much spoils herself.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Though in Uri's case, he just doesn't really bother to put his foot down with Penny cause he knows there's no point.
- Tsundere: Towards Byonko.
- Unstoppable Rage: Zatch can tell you, if you set her off, RUN!!!!, not that running does much good anyway.
- Woman Scorned: At least that's how she sees it in regards to Zatch.
- Yandere: She comes off as sweet and nice at first, if vain. But once she learns Zatch doesn't remember her?Hoo boy. Finally stops being one with her Heel-Face Turn, though.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Oh no you wouldn't.
Byonko & Alvin
Voiced by: Yasuhiro Takato (Byonko, JP), Masaaki Tsukada (Alvin, JP), Brian Beacock (Byonko, EN), David Lodge (Alvin, EN)
- Cool Old Guy: Alvin.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Byonko is pretty much a joke. He only ever shows up to get his ass kicked and Alvin can't even pronounce his spells properly. But once he does, the first thing Byonko does is knock Demolt on his ass.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Alvin pretends to forget his dentures so he won't have to support Zofis.
- The Unintelligible: Alvin, but he was doing it on purpose as he was well aware of Zofis' evil intentions.
Rodeaux & Chita
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: Lets his book be burned rather than be torn apart by the Faudo cells inside him.
- Emotionless Girl: Chita. until Rodeaux tells her to stand up for her true feelings before he vanishes.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Pet the Dog: The speech that Rodeaux gives to Chita before Zeon burns his book, telling her to find her own willpower.
- The Starscream
- Winged Humanoid: Rodeaux.
Voiced by: Ryo Horikawa (JP)
- Enigmatic Minion
- Living Shadow: His power includes shadow manipulation and creating things made of shadow.
- Worthy Opponent: His treatment of Riya and Aleshie, especially Aleshie, is an odd case. The gist of it is that he considers them to be worthy opponents but can't bring himself to admit it, and therefore wants to crush and humiliate them to prove he's the better fighter.
- Villainous Friendship: Leo's defeat pretty much kills his drive. He later laments that he wasn't even friends with Leo, but it's unclear if he's in denial or sad that their businesslike relationship wasn't more personal.
Voiced by: Kenyuu Horiuchi (JP)One of the demon kids who team up with Riou to wake up Faudo, Keith's reason for doing so is mainly to take Faudo's power for himself. He holds a personal rivalrly with Bari.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- The Rival: Bari.
- Smoking Is Cool: He has a preference for cigars.
- The Starscream: Until he takes on Faudo's powers, despite his claims to the contrary
- Took a Level in Badass: He gets three powerups from Faudo in his fight with Bari. They doesn't save him.
Goomu & Mir
- The Aloner: Goomu was alone in the demon world and his partnership with Clear is based on Clear being willing to allow him to live so long as Goomu is the only one left.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason behind his Heel-Face Turn.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Goomu's appearance is similar to a beetle.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Mir.
- Power of the Void: His spell theme. Works slightly different from Clear's and looks drastically different.
- The Unintelligible: Goomu, albeit Mir (and arguably Kanchome) can understand what he is saying.
Thousand-Year Old Demons
GorenAlthough not one of the demons Zatch and company fight, Goren is important because his spell is the one that sealed so many demons into stone in the first place. Did not become king, ultimately, as that honor went to Zatch and Zeon's father.
Laila & Albert
Voiced by: Rumi Shishido (Laila, JP), Kishou Taniyama (Albert, JP), Kate Higgins (Laila, EN), Crispin Freeman (Albert, EN)A young female demon who was trapped in stone for 1000 years. She is the only one who disagrees with Zofi's plans, and helps Gash's group upon their arrival in the Devolo Ruins.
- Deadpan Snarker: Once the stone of moonlight is destroyed, Laila and a now liberated Albert start smack-talking Demolt like there's no tomorrow.
- Horned Humanoid: Laila, who has small horns on her head.
- Little Miss Badass
- Lunacy: Laila's spell theme is geared towards crescent moons.
- The Stoic
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Laila has purple hair.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- Simple Staff: His spells all revolve around making it longer and stronger.
- Trick Boss: The real threat is his human partner Genzo!
- Beware the Silly Ones: He nearly kills Dr. Riddles and is so strong that Kido is forced to sacrifice himself in order to beat him!
- Psychopathic Manchild: To be fair, when you're stuck in a stone tablet alone for a thousand years, you're probably not going to come out mentally unscathed.
- Younger Than He Looks: In the final chapter he's introduced as a new classmate of Zatch. Yes, despite his appearance, Belgim is actually six years old.
Voiced by: Yoko Matsuoka (JP), Katie Leigh (EN)
- Anti-Villain: Unlike the other 4, all he wants is to not be turned to stone again by Zophis.
- Brick Joke: Remember that stone Kiyo found and did all those weird things to...? He remembers it all.
- Star Power
- Redemption Equals Death: After he loses and decides to fight with Zatch, Zophis appears and burns his book.
- Blood Knight: He laughs after being hit in the face by Ponygon and Zatch.
- The Brute: Plays this role much better due to his lack of intelligence. until his master unintentionally activated the spell to boost his intelligence.
- The Berserker: Described as one.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He might have let Zatch's Zakeruzem hit him the first time (and then Zakurga'd his arm with a painful explosion), but after that, he figures out its effects just as quickly as Kiyo and dodges all attempts made on him. Until Laila and Albert restrict his movement, that is.
- The Dragon: Kinda looks like one, and Brago explicitly states his power is greater than Zofis's own.
Voiced by: Shihomi Mizowaki (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)Zatch's number one nemesis who bullies him throughout the story and is the only one that he can't defeat.
- The Bully
- Gonk: Could easily be mistaken for a demon herself (and in fact, Bari thinks she's one at first).
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Jerk Ass
- Loving Bully: It's heavily implied that Naomi constantly bullies Zatch as a way to show that she really likes him.
Voiced by: Mari Adachi