of Instant Armor
and Sister Trope
of Elemental Armor
, this trope utilizes elemental forces as a form of (instantaneous) protection in a shape of a usually spherical barrier that covers the user. It can be a ball of flame, sand, lightning, or any elemental manifestation.
Characters who use this trope are a combination of Barrier Warrior
and Elemental Powers
See Instant Armor
for worn armor that appears instantaneously and Elemental Armor
for an elemental variation of the former.
Anime and Manga
- Gaara from Naruto has, outside from his sand Elemental Armor, a sand barrier that serves as his first line of defense. He even uses one as a form of a transportation/protection hybrid in the Deidara fight.
- Gajeel from Fairy Tail uses his iron-based abilities as a source of Nigh-Invulnerability. He is quite literally Made of Iron.
- Some Logia (and Paramecia) Devil Fruit eaters from One Piece can use their powers defensively this way, such as Galdino's Candle Wall (a wall of hardened wax) or Monet's Kamakura (basically an igloo).
- Magneto from X-Men can create electromagnetic forcefields as a form of defense.
- Similarly to Magneto above, Static also tends surround himself with electromagnetic shields.
- The villain of The Quest of the Unaligned uses a lighting barrier to protect his McGuffin. The heroine uses another barrier, this one made of fire, to block the first one from hitting her.
- When Mega Man uses Wood Man's powers in Mega Man 2, he would have a flurry of leaves used as a shield as long as he remained stationary. Other barrier weapons in the series that are elemental include the Fire Storm, Plant Barrier, Jewel Satellite and Water Shield.
- Azure Striker Gunvolt: GV's basic ability Flashfield is him creating a sphere of electricity around him that blocks physical projectiles (but not energy ones).
- World of Warcraft has a vast number of these, and most caster classes have at least one. Although many of them, while called "armor" or "shield" don't actually protect the user, but provide different buffs.
- Champions Online has blocking powers made from such diverse things as ice, fire, electricity (somehow), darkness, psionic projections, magic, and even kinetic energy (however that works).
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles uses three shields: Fire, Water, and Electric. The fire shield protects from fire-based attacks as well as lava, and allows you to dash forward. The water shield allows you to breathe underwater and has a bouncing double jump. The lightning shield allows you to magnetically attract loose rings (so no, the ones in the item boxes don't count), but not the ones you lose as a result of hitting a badnik, as well as a double jump.
- The three of them reappeared in Sonic Generations, but only if you unlock them in the challenges.
- The Sith Sorceror in Star Wars: The Old Republic can create shields made of lightning, whereas the Jedi Sage uses Force kinesis or levitating rocks.