Creator: Richard Steven Horvitz
Highly popular voice actor known for his high, effeminate voice. Is usually type casted
as very crazy and dimwitted characters who tend to do a lot of screaming. If they're small, nasal, manic, and slightly hammy, there's a good chance Richard Horvitz is involved somewhere.
His best known works include the voice of the original Alpha 5 in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
, Power Rangers Zeo
, and Power Rangers Turbo
, Raz in Psychonauts
, Billy in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
, Daggett in The Angry Beavers
, the Berserker in The Darkness
video game, the title character Zim from the show Invader Zim
, Rodney the Squirrel in Squirrel Boy
, and as Orthopox in the Destroy All Humans!
While many of Horvitz's characters scream, he has said himself that the hardest role he's ever had to play was Zim, since Zim's speaking voice is screaming
Notable roles include:
Live Action TV
Tropes associated with Richard Steven Horvitz
- Ax-Crazy: Several of his characters, most notably Zim.
- Cute but Cacophonic: For a man his age, yes.
- He Also Did: He's played the Green Grapes Guy in many of the recent Fruit of the Loom ads.
- Large Ham: About 80% of his characters tend to eat the sets.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Despite his pigeonhole in terms of roles, Richard does have a moderately good vocal range. Case in Point: Compare Rumble/(new) Heimerdinger or the PMC Soldiers to any of his other roles.
- No Indoor Voice: Many, many, many of his characters, Zim however was apparently the hardest/worst one because of this.
- Older Than They Look: Downplayed, but noticeable. Would you believe he's nearing 50 and has three sons, the oldest being 17, just by looking at him?
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Mostly plays very crazy and dimwitted characters who tend to do a lot of screaming or are considered very obnoxious.
- Playing Against Type: As the PMC Soldiers in Metal Gear Solid 4, a bullying victim named Jimmy in Static Shock, and the subdued Grey Matter in Ben 10.
- Talking to Himself: He usually voices several characters in series he works on, Billy and his dad Harold being a notable example.
- Vocal Dissonance: He's actually made jokes about the fact that telemarketers who have called him have mistaken him for his wife.