open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Subverted in Attack on Titan. The inside of a Titan's stomach is just a pouch half-filled with liquid that doesn't seem to be corrosive, but that does not make them harmless. For one, an unfortunate victim that arrives in there alive is often not whole, as Titans tend to bite their prey at least once before swallowing. Secondly, the inside of a Titan's body is so hot, it's presumably enough to if not outright boil the victim alive, at least cause heatstroke, and drowning from passing out in the fluids. And finally, Titans never stop eating if they can help it, so being hit by falling corpses is not implausible.
- In Stars Above, Kagami is swallowed whole by the Third Demon Ciacco, a giant, emaciated dog, but the only real danger involved inside is his Spawnnote , a horde of maggots that eat everything he eats, depriving him of actual nourishment.
Film - Animated
- Finding Nemo: Marlin and Dory are swallowed by a blue whale, and spend a while swimming and breathing in its saliva (though it turns out the whale had no intention of eating them; it was taking them to Sydney.)
- Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie: As in the original book, Jonah spends several days inside a whale, living atop a swallowed shipwreck floating in its stomach juices. Jonah emerges fine, aside from being bleached and smelling terrible.
- This happens in Pinocchio when Pinocchio and Jimminy Cricket (following Geppetto) are swallowed by Monstro the whale but are all perfectly fine and later manage to escape.
Film - Live Action
- In Men in Black, Kay purposely lets himself be ingested by the Edgar Bug in order to get his gun back. Once he blasts the bug in two from the inside he's no worse for wear, save for the truly massive mess he made.
- In Men In Black 2, Serleena accidently flies her ship into the giant worm Jeff's mouth. She not only gets swallowed, but is chewed up by a whole gullet's worth of teeth, yet she survives and manages to infect Jeff and kill him from the inside. Granted she's a plant alien who previously regenerated from a single bud.
- Sharknado: Nova gets swallowed by a shark. Fin dives down that shark's throat chainsaw-first. Not only does Nova not get digested, but the chainsaw misses her. (Oh, and Fin isn't digested or bitten either.)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: When fighting an enormous tentacled creature with nigh-impervious skin, Drax leaps down its throat to try to cut it open from the inside. This fails completely because its skin is just as thick from the inside, but after it's killed, Drax emerges from it unharmed. Justifiable because Drax is that badass.
- In Dude, Where's My Car?, Tommy is swallowed by the Super Hot Giant Alien. When she is blown up by the Continuum Transfunctioner, Tommy is left behind, covered in slime but otherwise fine.
- In the short story "Safe At Any Speed", the protagonist gets swallowed by a giant pterodactyl and comes out perfectly unhurt. This is justified in-universe by the character being from a race who have evolved to be extraordinarily lucky.
- In Micro by Michael Crichton one of the characters, Karen, is eaten alive by a bird but manages to not be killed. Unlike most examples of this trope, it's justified by the fact that she was stuck in the bird's craw rather than its stomach, so she wasn't being digested yet.
- In some versions of Little Red Riding Hood, the wolf is killed and the grandmother, sometimes Red as well, emerges from its stomach, fine.
- In the Brothers Grimm story The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids, six of the kids are eaten by The Big Bad Wolf, but when the seventh kid and their mother cuts the wolf's belly open, the kids emerge unharmed.
Mythology and Religion
- Older Than Feudalism with the Book of Jonah in The Bible. With God's intervention, Jonah lives for three days and three nights inside a "great fish".
- In Classical Mythology five of the original Olympians, Hestia Demeter Hera, Hades and Poseidon, were eaten by their father the Titan Kronos as soon as they were born. Years latter the sixth and youngest Olympian, Zeus, who had been raised in secret and so avoided sharing their fate, slipped Kronos an ipecac that resulted in the latter vomiting up Zeus' older siblings, who were of course no worse for wear. Justified in the fact that they were gods so the stomach was essentially a prison.
- In Super Mario RPG, Belome will occasionally eat Mallow whole during your first fight with him. However, this only deprives him of a few turns until he eventually pops out unharmed.
- Often justified in Schlock Mercenary by either Bizarre Alien Biology or pressurized Powered Armor.
- Sergeant Schlock, the resident Blob Monster, has voluntary control over his biochemistry and can choose to digest someone he's eaten in minutes or just hold them. On the other hand, once he gets eaten by a carnivorous plant and neutralizes its digestive juices until it regurgitates him.
- During Schlocktoberfest 2005 one of the grunts was eaten by a cloned Megalodon while out of uniform, he didn't make it. And later, the same shark ate Lt. Der Trihs, who was armored at the time.
- Trollhunters: Jim, Toby, Blink and Arrrgh get into the innards of a giant troll. Even after introducing an extra spicy burrito to his belly only makes for a wild ride. But they emerge unscathed. More than once.
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: In the Jaws Whole Plot Reference episode Captain Betty, the Quint analog, is eaten by the giant turtle part way through the episode. However after Carl manages to shrink it down we see Captain Betty treading water, alive and well. He explains that the turtle spat him out at the last second as it was shrinking. This served not only to make the end happier, but kept Carl from possibly looking like he committed manslaughter by shrinking the turtle with the Captain still inside it.
- Justified in The Tick with the Indigestible Man, who is sent to enter inside Dinosaur Neil and stop him from transforming back to normal.
- Samurai Jack: in the final season, episode "XCV", Jack and the last remaining daughter of Aku are eaten by a giant beast. Its insides are a whole ecosystem, and Jack has to try multiple ways to reach the blowhole to escape...with his would-be assassin fighting him the whole way and cursing his name with every breath.
- Eddie Bull from Crashbox routinely gets eaten alive by animals of all sizes but never ends up harmed.
- Two species of the Rheobatrachus genus of frogs hadnote the unique trait of incubating larval offspring within the mother's stomach (as in, the mother actually swallows the eggs or newly hatched larva), which is made possible by the eggs being coated in a special substance that induces the stomach to turn off the production of hydrochloric acid, and the larva themselves producing the same substance after hatching from said eggs.
- A number of fish species engage in mouth-brooding behavior, in which the male, female, or occasionally both parents will incubate eggs inside the mouth. Most species expel the young after hatching, but a few (cichlids, arowana) allow their young to retreat to the safety of a parent's mouth when danger approaches.
- Some plant species actually benefit from this trope, as having their fruits' fleshy outer tissue digested by an animal is the only way for their seeds to germinate from said animal's feces.