Let's just say there's a very good reason why Chuck Jones labeled this as "the funniest animated film of all time".
The Disney film
- The beginning with the merchant;Merchant: Please, please, come closer. [His face gets smushed against the screen] Too close, a little too close.
- Before the merchant shows the lamp:Merchant: Look at this! Yes! Combination hookah and coffee maker! Also makes Julienne fries! It will not break! [Taps it on table] It will not— [BOING!] ...It broke! [Tosses it over his shoulder] Oh! Look at this! [Pulls out a small white box] I have never seen one of these intact before. This the famous Dead Sea Tupperware. Listen. [Razzes] Ah, still good!
- About the scene where the merchant shows various objects: Robin Williams was brought into the sound stage and positioned in front of a table with a bunch of random objects covered by a sheet. He was then told to improvise a bunch of things in-character. So that line about that thing that would not break but immediately broke was no doubt caused by Robin breaking a prop and just rolling with it.
- A hilarious example that unfortunately didnt make it in the film; according to Eric Goldberg (the lead animator for Genie), at one point Robin picked up a bra, and riffed on it saying it was a double slingshot or a double yamaca.
- This gem.Jasmine: Please try to understand! I've never done a thing on my own! I've never had any real friends. [Rajah growls] Except you, Rajah. I've never even been outside the palace walls!
Sultan: But, Jasmine, you're a princess!
Jasmine: Then maybe I don't wanna be a princess anymore!
Sultan: [Growling with frustration] Oooh! Allah forbid you should have any daughters!
[Rajah grunts in confusion, thinking the Sultan is referring to him]
- The Sultan inadvertedly putting himself down when he complains about Jasmine rejecting all those princes asking for her hand.Sultan: I don't know where she gets it from. Her mother wasn't nearly so picky!
- The bit where Genie snaps his fingers and turns Abu into all kinds of different things (including a car, which is anachronistic, as the setting is ancient Arabia, and cars like the one Abu gets turned into weren't invented until around 1940), before settling on an elephant. He's not even looking at Abu, he's letting his mind wander, and that just makes him more human.
- In an Easter Egg, the license plate for Abu as a car says "ABU-1".
- Order of Apu's "mode of transportation" transformations (that we see): camel, horse, octopus, duck, ostrich, turtle, car, elephant.
- It's very quick but during "One Jump Ahead", a lady takes a swing at Aladdin's head with a broom, so he ducks but his hat stays where it is, spinning in the air. He rises back into the frame to put it back on his head with the most unamused look on his face you can think of.
- There's also the lyric, "I steal only what I can't afford—that's everything!"
- After Aladdin explains that he has to steal to get the food he needs but "...otherwise [they'd] get along", the guards shout, "Wrong!".
- "Here goes! Betterthrowmyhandinwishmeahappylandin'! all I gotta do is JUMP!"
- If you had to name a moment that doesn't include the Genie, it would be in the "One Jump Ahead" sequence, when Abu pulls a scimitar on the guards.Abu: [Gently puts the sword down with a sheepish grin, and then bolts]
- Abu pulled the scimitar from a sword-eater's mouth, then the sword-eater grabbed his throat and start gagging.
- At another point in the same sequence, Aladdin tries to lose the guards by going over a bed of hot coals. He uses the performer as a stepping stone, while the guards just run over coals while comically dancing on their scorched tootsies.
- Several during the "Prince Ali" song
- Jafar—not the kind of character usually susceptible to slapstick—tries to keep the parade out of the palace only to get Squashed Flat by the door. How he and Iago look afterwards◊ also counts.
- Also, towards the start of the song, Iago bobs along, charmed by the music, hastily stopping when Jafar shoots him a dirty look.
- The Sultan also bops along to the music.
- Repeatedly cutting to Jasmine's utterly unimpressed face.
- When it's revealed that "Prince Ali" has ninety-five white Persian monkeys, we cut to the captain and the guards doing a goofy little dance while singing "He's got the monkeys! Let's see the monkeys!"
- During the song's big finish there's a brief shot of Jafar shoving the entourage out of the palace, then at the very end him slamming the doors with a hilariously irritated look on his face.
- At one point, Genie and the crowd sing: "And that good people is why, he got dolled up and dropped by: with sixty elephants" and we cut to sixty elephants, all standing on each others' shoulders, with the bottom elephant on a llama which is, in turn, on a small ball!
- And then when the Sultan introduces him, joyfully telling "Ali" that Jafar is delighted to meet him too. Cut to Jafar standing with his arms crossed giving them a Death Glare, and then mutters "ecstatic" in the most deadpan voice possible.
- The Sultan's joyride on Carpet, which includes him telling Jafar to "button up", buzzing Elephant!Abu, terrorizing Iago, who bumps into a pillar after dodging the Sultan, lands at the bottom, and sees miniature Sultans flying on Carpets, chanting, "Have a cracker! Have a cracker!", and Carpet ending up falling-down dizzy.
- Jasmine yells at Aladdin, Jafar and the Sultan for talking about her behind her back and even Jafar looks uncomfortable as she tears them a new one.
- Aladdin's ploy to rescue Jasmine from the marketplace after she steals an apple. It becomes even funnier as Jasmine plays along with his insanity plea.Aladdin: Now come along, sis. Time to go see the doctor.
Jasmine: [Addressing a camel while staring vacantly into space] Why hello, doctor. How are you?
Aladdin: [In a tone of voice that clearly says "Dial it back, dial it back".] No, no, no, not that one.
- Also kinda a moment of heartwarming because it shows their connection. They both connect and understand each other and are willing to assist the other, something rather differing from previous Disney relationships.
- "I can't believe it; I'm losing to a rug."
- Even funnier is if you play chess, and look at the positions on the board. That really was a good move.
- The way Carpet crosses his arm-tassle-things as if to say "So there!"
- Let's face it, Abu has a bunch of the funnier moments here. Here are just three examples:
- Abu bitching Aladdin out in monkey speak, ending with his sarcastic monkey-speech impression of Jasmine. The fact that you can tell exactly what he's trying to say is also a real tour-de-force for Frank Welker's acting and animal noise-making abilities.
- There's also the look on Abu's face when Aladdin manages to spin the monkey-tantrum into fuel for seducing Jasmine. His expression◊ is one of rage, disbelief, and confusion all rolled into one face.
- And then Abu sets to freeing Aladdin...with a set of lockpicks. How often does Abu have to bust Aladdin out of handcuffs?
- During the aforementioned insanity plea, Aladdin says that Jasmine thinks Abu is the Sultan. She plays along, bowing to Abu and greeting him formally, and he responds by actually acting like a sultan.
- When Jafar rubs the lamp for the first time:Genie: You know, Al, I'm getting really— [Nebbish] Iiiiii don't think you're him. [Looks at a theater program, reads aloud] "Tonight the part of Al will be played by a tall, dark, and sinister, UGLY man."
Jafar: I am your master now! [Stomps Genie's face]
Genie: [Squeezing out the words] I was afraid of that.
- Note how Jafar's evil grin promptly turns into an angry scowl when Genie calls him "ugly".
- "I think it's time to say goodbye to Prince Abooboo."
- After Aladdin exposes Jafar:Iago: We gotta get outta here! We gotta get out! I gotta start packing, your highness! Only essentials, we gotta travel light. I'll bring the guns, the weapons, the knives... And how about this picture? I don't know, I think I'm making a weird face in it?
- He then makes said weird face, complete with buck-teeth. As well as guns and swords, he tosses a set of knuckledusters in there.
- A meta example involving that particular bit: not only was that line improvised by Gilbert Gottfried, but it made Robin Williams laugh!
- Then mid-packing, he sees Jafar laughing like he just heard the best joke ever.Iago: Oh, boy. He's cracked. He's gone nuts. (flies down to Jafar) Uh, Jafar? (knocks on Jafar's hat which is hollow) Jafar? GET A GRIP! (Jafar gets a grip around Iago's neck, choking him) Good grip...
- At the very beginning, there's a scene where Aladdin meets a noble, heading to the Palace on his horse. As the rude man rides away, Aladdin hollers out:Aladdin: Look at that, Abu! It's not every day you see a horse with TWO rear ends!
- Not only is the horse also offended, but he realizes it's an insult before the noble does. Explain the joke?
- Not a joke but Hilarious in Hindsight after he tells Aladdin he will amount to nothing and have no one. Not only does Achmed fail to marry Jasmine and get attacked by Rajah, Aladdin himself ends up with her as well as being Agrabah's greatest hero.
- Not only is the horse also offended, but he realizes it's an insult before the noble does. Explain the joke?
- The noble tells Aladdin that he will die a worthless street rat and only his fleas will mourn him. After everyone's gone, he mutters that he's not worthless and doesn't have fleas, then immediately scratches his head.
- Funny in hindsight. Not only does Achmed not end up with Jasmine and gets bitten by Rajah, the very same "street rat" he insulted ends up with Jasmine.
- Aladdin is battling Jafar (currently in giant snake form) and, in an Indy Ploy, flings an "always second best" jibe at him. The Genie wishes he hadn't.Aladdin: The Genie has more power than you'll ever have!
Genie (looking awkward): Al, what are you doing? Why are you bringing me into this?
- "Tell her the TRUUUUUUTH!!!!!"
- And when the Genie says that, he's pointing to a blackboard with those words written on it, and the first three words are underlined and "truth" is written in gold and has several hands pointing at it.
- How the Genie takes his time to save Aladdin from drowning like he's expecting to get an answer from Al's unconscious body.Genie: Never fails. You get in the bath, and there's a rub at the lamp. (squeaks rubber duckie) Hello? (sees the unconscious Aladdin) Al? (gasps) Al! Kid! Snap out of it! Oh, you can't cheat on this one! I can't help ya unless you make a wish! You have to say "Genie, I want you to save my life." Got it? Okay. (shakes Aladdin) C'MON, ALADDIN! (Aladdin's head droops) I'll take that as a "yes". (head becomes siren) WOOGA! WOOGA! (Genie turns into a submarine) Upscope! (babbles in German as he pulls Al out of the water)
Genie: I'm gettin' kinda fond of you, kid. Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything...
- Followed by This moment after he saves him:
- The alternate line from the "Genie Outtakes" on the Diamond Edition is probably even funnier:
- Jafar trying to hypnotize the Sultan the second time.Jafar: You will order the princess to marry me.
Sultan: I... will order... the princess to... (snaps out of it) But you're so old!
- Also oddly heartwarming: the ONLY time he manages to resist Jafar's hypnosis is out of concern for Jasmine, even when his pushing her to marry sets off the plot.
- The Sultan ranting about how Jafar has been plotting against him, he breaks up Aladdin and Jasmine about to kiss. Neither of them seem bothered by it and go back embracing and making eyes at each other.
- When Iago's impersonating both Jasmine and a flamingo, another actual flamingo gets the goo-goo eyes for him, tongue hanging out and everything. After tricking Aladdin, he turns around mid-evil laugh to come face to face with aforementioned love-smitten flamingo...Iago: Ya got a problem, Pinky?! (kicks the flamingo over) Jerk.
- "How many times do I have to kill you, boy!?"
- The Ironic Echo when Jafar gets everything that's coming to him:Aladdin: Phenomenal cosmic powers!...eeeeety-bitty living space.
- Bee Genie making an interesting suggestion when Jasmine rejects "Prince Ali".Genie: Stop her! STOP HER! Want me to sting her?Aladdin: (waves off Genie) Buzz off!Genie: Alright, fine. But remember: Beeee yourself!
- When Snake!Jafar has Aladdin in his coils, Iago tries to goad Jafar into crushing him and Genie comes along and nonchalantly whacks him."Squeeze him Jafar! Squeeze him like a... AWK!"
- Jafar was described as "Señor Psychopath" by the Genie, who also briefly changes his face to Jafar's.
- The Sultan innocently addressing the scary man in the Obviously Evil costume as "my most trusted advisor".
- Three moments after the Sultan decides to make Aladdin his successor (which he isn't too chuffed about):
"Pst! Your line is 'I'm going to free the Genie'. Any time."
- After the announcement, Genie arrives, cheering "Hail the conquering hero!", and bursts into a full-on one-man brass band... and promptly deflates when Aladdin glumly walks away.
- When the Genie reads from the script.
Genie: Sure you can! You just go, (holds Aladdin's head and uses him like a puppet) "Geenee, I wish you fwee!"
- And finally, the scene providing the above image.
Aladdin: (pushes Genie) I'm serious!
- All of Jafar's puns during his final battle with Aladdin.Jafar: Ha ha, Princess! Your TIME IS UP! (to Jasmine, who's in an hourglass) Don't TOY with me! (to Abu, who's been turned into a toy monkey) Things are UNRAVELING fast now, boy! AH HAHAHAHA! (to Carpet, who's been unraveled) Get the POINT? (to Aladdin, when he's surrounded by swords) I'm just getting WARMED UP! (again to Aladdin, when he breathes fire)
- The look on Iago's face when he spots Aladdin trying to sneak up to the lamp.
- When Jasmine kisses Jafar, both Abu and Iago adopt identical expressions of shock and disgust. Aladdin is also squicked out.
- Iago's rant after the Cave of Wonders eats Gazeem.Iago: I can't believe it! I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!! We're NEVER gonna get a hold of that stupid lamp! Just forget it! Look at this! Look at this! I'm so ticked off that I'm molting!
Jafar: Patience, Iago. Patience. Gazeem was obviously less than worthy.
Iago: Oh, there's a big surprise. That's an incredible "I-think-I'm-gonna-have-a-heart-attack-and-DIE-from-THAT-SURPRISE!" WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?? We got a big problem here, a big— [Jafar holds his beak shut]
- Iago suggesting Jafar marries the princess, and Jafar's reaction.Iago: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Jafar! What if you were the chump husband?
Iago: OK... OK, you marry the Princess, all right?! And then, then you become the Sultan!
Jafar: [smiles evilly] Marry the shrew. I become the Sultan. The idea has merit.
Iago: (excitedly) Yes, merit, yes! And then we drop [makes himself look plump like the Sultan] "Papa-in-law" and [makes his shape petite] the little woman off a cliff! [divebombs off Jafar's staff] YAAAAAAHHH!!! KER-SPLAT!!! [laughs]
Jafar: I love the way your foul little mind works!
- Just before the exchange above, Jafar and Iago's simultaneous Squick reaction to the prospect of being beheaded. Given their dynamic for the majority of the film, seeing them on the same wavelength for just a quick moment is hilarious.
- Right after Aladdin frees the genie:Genie: Quick! Quick, wish for something outrageous, say "I want the Nile." Wish for the Nile, try that.
Aladdin: Uh, I wish for the Nile!
Genie: NO WAY!! [laughs] Oh does that feel good!
- Possible bad Stealth Pun there; Aladdin got "denial," just like he wished!
- While fleeing the Cave of Wonders:Aladdin: Abu! Abu, this is no time to panic! [pulls Abu off his face and sees they're flying straight into a wall] Start panicking!
- Aladdin/Jasmine: "They're after me! They're after YOU?"
- Also noteworthy is, after Aladdin frantically asks her, "Do you trust me?", Jasmine gives a hesitant, "...Yes??"
- Iago's Establishing Character Moment. Having spent his first few minutes on screen acting like a normal parrot, he breaks character when Gazeem goes to enter the Cave of Wonders;Iago: Awk! The lamp! Awk! The lamp! [quietly, to Jafar] Geez! Where'd you dig this bozo up?
- In fact, anytime Iago suffers. Like when he's powering Jafar's clockwork contained-storm generator and gets pulled into the gears. When he finally is shot out he's without his feathers.Iago: With all due respect, your rottenness, couldn't we just wait for a real storm?
- During Aladdin's fight with Snake!Jafar, Genie becomes a cheer squad and cheers for Aladdin. Jafar tells him to shut up and Genie responds with this gem.
- "Hello, Aladdin. Nice to have you on the show. Can we call you Al? Or maybe just Din? Or how about Laddie? Kind of like, 'Here boy! (Whistles) Come on, Laddie!'"
- "Prince Ali" is outside the balcony on Carpet, desperately trying to describe how he can't possibly be the guy she met in the marketplace because he has "servants who go to the marketplace for my servants." Jasmine and Rajah turn to each other to share a look of pure "is this guy for real?" The way Jasmine purses her lips just seals the deal. Just look at it!◊
- Genie the bee trying to help Aladdin woo Jasmine, but messes things up.Genie: Enough about you, Casanova! Talk about her!Aladdin: What?Genie: She's smart! Fun! The hair! The eyes! ANYTHING! Pick a feature!Aladdin: ... Jasmine... you're very...Genie: Wonderful! Magnificent! Glorious! Uh... punctual!Aladdin: Punctual!Jasmine: (confused) Punctual?Genie: Sorry...
- Jasmine leading "Prince Ali" into a charm trap.Jasmine: Hm... I'm rich, too, you know...Aladdin: Yeah...Jasmine: (seductively) The daughter of a sultan...Aladdin: I know...Jasmine: (seductively sauntering over to him) A fine prize for any prince to marry...Aladdin: (realizing) Uh... right! Right... a prince like me!Genie: (buzzing in Aladdin's ear) Warning! Warning!Jasmine: Right... a prince like you... (pulls Aladdin's turban down and drapes his head with his cape) and every other STUFFED-SHIRT SWAGGERING PEACOCK I've met!Genie: (crashing and burning) MAYDAY! MAYDAY!
- When Jafar thinks he has the lamp after leaving Aladdin and Abu trapped in the Cave Of Wonders.
- Aladdin tricking Genie into getting them out of the cave without wasting his first wish. Especially funny is when Aladdin dismisses him and tells Abu that they'll have to find a way out themselves.Genie: Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden, you're walkin' out on me?! I don't think so! NOT RIGHT NOW! YOU'RE GETTIN' YOUR WISHES, SO SIDDOWN!!!!!
Aladdin: Now about my three wishes?
- The filmmakers were worried that Martin Scorsese would not like the Shout-Out. They were delighted — and relieved — to learn that he cracked up laughing at this scene.
- Later when they arrive at the oasis to discuss the wishes.
Genie: Dost mine ears deceive me? Three? You are down by ONE, boy!
Aladdin: Ah, no, I never actually wished to get out of the Cave. Heh! You did that on your own.
Genie: (Jaw Drop)...Well, I feel sheepish. (turns into a sheep) Alright, you ba-aaa-d boy, but no more freebies.
Aladdin: Fair deal.
- The Genie vents about his lot in life, especially the overly-sarcastic way he does the "arms folded with head bobbing" gesture typically associated with genies.POOF "Wudya need??" POOF "Wudya need??!" POOF "Wudya need?!?"
- You have to admit, Iago getting his revenge on the poor old Sultan for years of unknowingly patronizing cracker feedings is pretty hilarious.Sultan: Have a cracker, pretty Polly! [stuffs cracker down Iago's throat]
- "Your Majesty certainly has a way with dumb animals." Followed by Iago's reaction to that.
- Honestly, it looks like he's gonna THROW UP on Jafar more than a death glare, but it's still damn funny!
- Later, after Jafar has deposed the Sultan, who is now tied up and dressed as a Jester: And when Jafar raises his hand for Iago to stop, (on behalf of a begging Jasmine), Iago pauses...then shoves more crackers down the Sultan's throat one final time.Iago: Puppet Ruler want a cracker? [stuffs cracker down the Sultan's throat] Here! Here's your cracker! Shove em' all the way down your throat, have lots of crackers! [stuffs more crackers in his mouth]
Jasmine: Stop it! Jafar, leave him alone!
(Jafar holds out his hand to signal Iago to stop. Iago pauses...then stuffs more crackers down the Sultan's throat one last time.)
- "Your Majesty certainly has a way with dumb animals." Followed by Iago's reaction to that.
- When Genie lists his three rules when it comes to his three wishes, he briefly turns into a green, oozing zombie, complete with a hilarious (Peter Lorre-inspired) voice:Genie: ARULENUMBAHTHREE! (turns into zombie) I can't bring people back from the dead... It's not a pretty picture! I DON'T LIKE DOING IT!
- Aladdin's blink-and-you'll-miss-it reaction to this is priceless, too. He clutches his stomach and gags as if he's going to throw up.
- When Jasmine pretends to fall in love with Jafar so she can distract him long enough for Aladdin to get Genie's lamp, Jafar and Genie's reactions are priceless, especially Genie's.
- Once "Friend Like Me" is done, all the magical stuff the Genie conjures goes away, leaving only a beeping sign saying 'Applause'.
- What makes it even funnier is if you look closely, Carpet actually does applaud◊.
- Aladdin meets Jafar for the first time. All of it. Jafar's old man disguise, the Gross-Up Close-Up of his teeth ("You've heard of the golden rule, haven't you? Whoever has the gold makes the rules. HUUUUOOOOYYYYYEEEEE!!"), and the scene reveals that poor Iago has been stuffed under his cloak the entire time.
- On a more meta-note: Google Translate Sings: "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. Of particular note is the line "Via Hentai diamond skies".
- Jasmine confronting Jafar just as he's sneaking out of his secret door, forcing him to try to conceal it throughout the whole conversation. Iago doesn't quite make it out:Iago: (struggling in the door) "Jafar could you just..." (Jafar kicks Iago through the door crack) "OW THAT HURT!!"
- Iago's "How in the He- I mean, uh, RAWK!"
- Iago impersonating Jafar and Jasmine (with the actual Jafar and Jasmine voices coming out of his mouth). Bonus points for briefly looking like the two he's imitating. It's almost like Linda Larkin and Jonathan Freeman are actually coming from Gilbert Gottfried's mouth!
- The October 2015 Blu-Ray release has some never-before-heard outtakes from Robin Williams on it, complete with drawings of Genie acting them out, including one where he accidentally spills coffee on the script note . See it here before it probably gets taken down.Robin: Whoa! It's everywhere! There's coffee everywhere. We'll take a brief break while we clean up.
- At the end, he even handwaves his usual humor style as Genie.Robin: It's really wonderful, is I say it and they draw it! [laughs] We'll both be arrested!
- This, in the storyboards, is swiftly followed by Police-Genies appearing behind Genie.Robin (Police-Genie): Not since the dancing mushrooms have we seen this much intensity.
- This, in the storyboards, is swiftly followed by Police-Genies appearing behind Genie.
- After Jafar transforms into a snake, in the outtakes, Genie becomes a football referee:Genie: [imitates whistle] Becoming a reptile, unnecessary use of reptile, 500-year penalty!
- Alternate takes for the "Jafar, Jafar, he's our man" cheer:Cheerleader-Genies: "Time for a Jafar cheer! Give me a B, give me a B, give me a B, B, B, give me a B, B, B, B, B! What's that spell?" (bbbbbbbbbb)Cheerleader-Genies: "Push 'em back! Push 'em back! Ja-farther, Ja-farther!"
- And Genie's advice during the battle.Genie: "Nonviolence, Al! Turn the other cheek!" (he turns his lower body around) "Matter of fact, turn both cheeks, and RUN!"
- At the end, he even handwaves his usual humor style as Genie.
- The image and voice when Genie says, "The long contaiiiiiined..."
- "A Whole New World" is generally beautiful and romantic, but still contains some amusing sight gags, such as the startled bird and the sphinx guy who breaks the nose. Then, afterwards, Jasmine tripping up Aladdin by commenting, "It's a shame Abu had to miss this," and Aladdin falling for it hook, line and sinker before realizing he's been had.
- When Jafar declares that the Sultan and Jasmine will finally bow to him, the Sultan actually does briefly start to bow before stopping in a hurry when Jasmine states "We will never bow to you!"
- The Sultan is thrilled Jasmine has finally chosen a suitor.Sultan: (to Aladdin) I could kiss you. Well, I won't, I'll leave that to...
- "Made you look!"
- Look at the bottom of the background that he pushes out of the way. Both the peg-bar registration and the scene number are animated onto it!
- A few funny moments just before "One Jump Ahead".
- He says, "All this for a loaf of bread?"
- When the lady teases, "Getting into trouble a little early today, aren't we, Aladdin?", Aladdin replies, "Trouble? No way! You're only in trouble if you get caught", but then the guard catches him and he says, "I'm in trouble."
- Jafar wishes for Jasmine to love him. Genie tries to point out that he can't do that, then Jasmine pretends to be in love with Jafar. Cue Genie scratching his head and looking at his finger, clearly thinking "Did I do that?''
- The return of Iago's conscience. Apparently, Iago chained him up and dropped him into the ocean.Iago: You were cramping my style.
- The Villain Team-Up between the two Laughably Evil Abis Mal and Mechanikles is an absolute joyride from beginning to end.
- In The Secret of Dagger Rock there's this little gem where Mozenrath proves it's very possible to be a Deadpan Snarker even when you're Chewing the Scenery.Aladdin: You lost this battle the moment you made Jasmine mad.Mozenrath: Oh no! I've angered the princess.Aladdin: You don't get it. I've seen her mad.Mozenrath: Oh, should I tremble at the painted toes of her dainty little feet?! I don't think so!
- For one of Mozenrath's coolest and funniest moments, look here.
- A merchant tries to sell Saleen a fish... whom she apparently knew.Saleen: Charlie? You reckless fool.
- At the end of the episode that first introduced Mozenrath, Aladdin and his friends have been manipulated to helping Mozenrath capture a creature, the Thirdac, that eats magic which he plans to use for his own ends. Aladdin is furious and returns to stop Mozenrath. He threatens that he'll release the Thirdac and sic him on Mozenrath if Mozenrath doesn't send it back to where it came from.Mozenrath: You wouldn't. You're not that ruthless!Aladdin: You're right - I'm not. But he is!Iago: And man, do I feel cranky!
- The opening of the episode "Sneeze the Day" opens with Aladdin, his friends and the guards chasing Amin Damoola, a jewel thief in Agrabah. He nearly gets away on on a passing cart, but smacks his head on an arc and falls off. When he gets back up, he sees Genie charging him in football gear. The look on his face is priceless.
- There's also the Amin's Shout Outs to the movie.
- Plus there's all the trouble that Genie's magic causes when he gets a cold.
- The Lost City of the Sun is full of it.
- Mozenrath towards his mooks for trying to slink away "while I'm ranting!"
- "It appears Shamash had quite the sense of humor"
- Iago getting the sprites to go on strike
Genie-sprite: Uh...we're from Ohio.
- And the Mozenrath notices the disguised-as-sprites Genie, Iago, and Abu look odd for sprites.
- From the guest villain Chaos (voiced by Matt Frewer): "But I never liked Fate. Predestination goes against the grain. Besides, he cheats at cards."
The Disneyland stage show
- The Disneyland stage show gets one hilarious one close to the end, where Iago (probably as a Shout-Out to Return of Jafar) tries to convince the good guys that he's reformed, honestly, and starts singing about how he's become "A whole new biiiirrrd...!" Needless to say, nobody buys it.Genie: Two Words.Iago: Yeah?Genie: Chicken Nuggets!
- Sometimes the show would have alternate versions of the above Two Words answer. Two memorable ones were Angry Birds and Duck Dynasty.
- In at least one version, Genie calls him "the Tiki Room Reject", made even funnier by the fact that the "Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management)", which starred Iago and Zazu, had to be retooled because the Iago animatronic malfunctioned and was rendered inoperable.
- A performance has the Genie say after being freed from the lamp "I'm free! I feel like Martha Stewart!"
Genie: You are the weakest link, goodbye! (throws lamp away)
- What's great about the stage show is that periodically, the Genie's pop culture references change to whatever's most popular during that time. Once, the Genie introduced himself as Captain Jack Sparrow.
- Genie even references The Weakest Link at one point:
Genie: You're fired.
- The Genie, after throwing away the lamp after sealing Jafar in it:
- Another great moment: Jafar summons Genie for the first time, but Genie is caught in the shower, singing Jasmine's "I Want" Song from earlier. Then it goes:Genie: (sees Jafar) AAAHH! A MAN! (covers chest)
- Who could forget the classic Sultan Peppershaker joke?
- It's also quite common for him to say to Jafar "Cher called, she wants her costume back." Or the same with "Lady Gaga."
- Let's face it, pretty much anything the Genie says.
- I'm so excited I lost my beard! This becomes a running gag in the rest of the show.
- There was one performance where as Aladdin has to tell the Genie he can't wish him free, a baby in the audience started to cry, very noticeably as the rest of the audience was silent. Genie sputters for a bit, then says "You just made that baby cry!"
- Variations on this in other performances include noting the audience booing with "you're ruining vacations" or "you hear that? Those are my thoughts!"
- One instance of the audience booing turned into a brilliant Brick Joke. Genie goes on a spiel saying that while he isnt happy with Aladdin either, the audience cant boo him because hes the main character, and if the audience is gonna boo someone it should be Jafar. And after Jafar wishes to be the Sultan, instead of the classic Sultan Peppershaker joke... Genie (with a little help from the audience) gives us this.
- Another performance had one person in the audience loudly yelling BOOOO! BOOOO!. Genie turns to look at that person and simply says, No more churros for you.
- In the last performance of Jeff Sumner (one the actors that played Genie), one guy in the audience yells, YOU PINKY SWORE!. Genie responds with Yeah, what he said!
- On January 10, 2016, the show had its final performance before permanently closing. As expected, the Genie went all-out with his jokes, as gloriously demonstrated when he confronts Jafar. One particular gem has him comparing Jafar to other Disney Villains.Genie: You are a Disney Villain. You are, like, the Disney Villain, do you realize that? You're like all sorts of Disney Villains all rolled into one right now. You've got Scar's thirst for power, you've got Hades' temper, you've got Captain Hook's craziness, you've got Maleficent's dress, you're carrying around Kaa from The Jungle Book, you even have a half-wit sidekick! Kinda like, y'know, Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove. (laughs) That'd make you Yzma!
The Broadway Musical
- On the soundtrack for the musical, there is a track called "Genie Medley", which is mainly Adam Jacobs (Aladdin) and James Monroe Iglehart (Genie) singing duets of classic songs by Alan Menken.
- In the musical proper, Genie takes a break in "Friend Like Me" to sing a couple of old classics, which are "Beauty and the Beast," "Part of Your World," "Under the Sea," "Colors of the Wind," and "Belle (Reprise)"
- Genie's entrance isn't nearly as bombastic as in animated form, but when he finally walks onstage, his first word from the smoke is, "Whoo! Talk about your smoky entrances!"
Aladdin: I'm kind of lost here. You came from...inside the lamp?
- This piece of dialogue:
Genie: (aside to the audience) Oh, boy, we got a slow one. (to Aladdin) Okay, let's take it easy. We'll start from the beginning, so you don't hurt yourself. I'm Genie, you rubbed the lamp, which makes you master of the lamp!
Aladdin: Master of the lamp?
Genie: Master of the lamp.
Aladdin: Master of the lamp?
Genie: Master of the laaaaaammmmmpppp!
Aladdin: Master of the-
Genie: (covers Aladdin's mouth) Whoo, child, I thought being back in the lamp was bad!
- Around July 2016, as Genie is happily jumping up and down after being freed, he shouts "I can finally play Pokémon GO!".
- Whoopi Goldberg stealing the Genie's Big Entrance for a performance, to commemorate James Iglehart's final weeks in the role. He steps onstage just seconds later to continue the show, but not before snapping a selfie with her.James Monroe Iglehart: (taking out his phone): I gotta do this, I mean... (to the audience) Y'all probably already did it, even though you shouldn't have.
- Sometimes, Genie will appear on stage at the start of the show with different New York souvenirs (such as a mini Statue of Liberty), and mention how much fun it is to waste money on these little trinkets before kicking off the "Arabian Nights" song.
- In at least one case in the London West End showing, he pulls out a Union Jack umbrella, and then tosses it aside, claiming he did a little pre-show shopping.
- In the Adelaide run, Genie pulls a jar of Vegemite from his pocket. He realizes his mistake, and shoves it back in.
- As Aladdin goes over his plan to earn money legitimately from performing in the streets, one of his friends has something to say to it:
- Its very nature as a live show means that Genie's pop-culture references can be a lot more up-to-date; for example, in London in 2018:Aladdin: Did you... come from the lamp?Genie: No, I'm from Wakanda! [Salutes]
- After "Somebodys Got Your Back", Babkak, Omar, and Kazzim all sing a reprise of the song. While they sing, Razoul and the guards sneak up on them and hit them on the back of the head with clubs, one at a time, until theyre all knocked out and dragged off stage. The funny part is they dont recognize whats going on at all!
- To celebrate the musicals 5th Anniversary, 5 actors who played Genie (James Monroe Inglehart, Michael James Scott, Major Attaway, Juwan Crowley, and Deonte L. Warren) performed a 5 Genie Medley on stage. And while the whole medley is both funny and awesome, its the way it gets started:James Monroe Inglehart: Do you mind if uh, I start this thing off, though?
Michael, Major, Juwan, and Deonte: Youre the Tony winner!
- Made you look!