Simon Pegg (born Simon John Beckingham on February 14, 1970) is a British actor and comedian who has had breakout success in a wide range of movies.
He began as a TV actor and gained success for Spaced, which he co-wrote with Jessica Hynes. He later collaborated with Spaced helmer Edgar Wright and actor Nick Frost on Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End. Since then, Pegg has starred in a few films and was cast as Scotty in J. J. Abrams' reboot of Star Trek. He and Deep Roy are the only two actors who have played roles in all three of the juggernaut English-language SF franchises: Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Star Trek (and in the last-named one, Roy plays Pegg's sidekick).
Pegg is known for his quick-witted and sarcastic characters, and for often playing a slacker. He's quickly become a poster boy for nerd culture for many minor projects like a one-episode role in Doctor Who and his two-man re-enactment of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
He admits that he hates being famous. He warns anybody seeking for fame that "It's like jumping into a pool full of sharks."
- Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy - Various Characters
- Mission: Impossible - Benjamin "Benji" Dunn
- Star Trek - Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
- Big Nothing (2006) - Gus
- Free Jimmy (2006) - Paul
- Run Fatboy Run (2007) - Dennis
- How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (2008) - Sidney Young
- Burke and Hare (2010) - William Burke
- Paul (2011) - Graeme Willy
- A Fantastic Fear of Everything (2012) - Jack
- Hector and the Search for Happiness (2014) - Hector
- Kill Me Three Times (2014) - Charlie Wolfe
- Man Up (2015) - Jack
- Absolutely Anything (2015) - Neil
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) - Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer on Jakku.
- Ready Player One (2018) (2018) - Ogden Morrow
His Voice Acting Roles:
- Ice Age - Buck
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010) - Reepicheepnote
- The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - Inspector Thompson
- The Boxtrolls (2014) - Herbert Trubshaw
- Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) - Dengar
- LEGO Dimensions (2016) - Benjamin "Benji" Dunn
His TV Roles:
- Asylum (1996) - Simon
- Is It Bill Bailey? (1998) - Various Characters
- Big Train (1998-2002) - Various Characters
- Spaced (1999-2001) - Tim Bisley
- Band of Brothers (2001) - William S. Evans
- Black Books (2004) - Evan
- Doctor Who (2005) - The Editor
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2012) - Dengar
- Mob City (2013) - Hecky Nash
- Phineas and Ferb (2014) - Various Characters (including C-3PO in the Star Wars special)
This actor provides examples of:
- Comic-Book Fantasy Casting: As Wee Hughie, the protagonist of The Boys. Confirmed by Word of God on several occasions.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Has dyed his hair red for Shaun of the Dead, black for The World's End and is mostly seen with blond hair, but his real hair colour is actually light-brown.
- Mismatched Eyes: He has sectoral heterochromia in real life; his eyes are blue-grey, but his right one is partially brown. He's said he's "slightly mutanty."
- One of Us: A fair amount of his work consists of homages, references, or deconstructive parodies of things like police action movies or zombie films. He's also a true student of filmmaking, including a university degree, on top of all the fanboy stuff.
- Playing Against Type:
- In Hot Fuzz, Pegg is much more of a straight man than his normal persona.
- In Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, his comic lab-rat role in the previous film is upgraded to being in the field with the rest of the IMF team on the run, meaning he gets in on the gun-wielding action and even gets to pull the badass-with-sunglasses pose on the main poster alongside the more imposing Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner. He does opt out of helping Ethan Hunt with a physically demanding task at one point, quipping, "I'm on the computer."
- Promoted Fanboy:
- His role in Star Trek.
- On his sudden fame after Shaun of the Dead: "Well, it's not like I'm going to go do Mission: Impossible III!"
- He apparently put aside his vitriol for the Prequels in order to play an Original Trilogy character, Dengar, on Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- He then gets to play a character in the new Star Wars trilogy, Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer on Jakku.
- Voicing Johnny Alpha on the Big Finish audio adaptations.
- He and his daughter are huge fans of Phineas and Ferb, and tweeting an obscure reference from the show got him cast in an episode. Didn't hurt that co-creator Jeff "Swampy" Marsh is a huge fan of Spaced.
- Considering that he did Star Wars films many times, it made sense that they'd cast him for the Star Wars crossover episode.
- Star-Making Role: Shaun Of The Dead. He was known in the UK before with Spaced.
- Those Two Actors: He seems to get along with a great deal of actors.
- Nick Frost (Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy, Paul, The Adventures of Tintin). In Ice Age they both participated but in different sequels of the franchise.
- Rosamund Pike (The World's End, Hector and the Search for Happiness).
- Andy Serkis (Burke and Hare, The Adventures of Tintin, Star Wars: The Force Awakens).
- David Schwimmer (Band of Brothers, Big Nothing). In Run Fatboy Run while Schwimmer did not act, he directed Pegg in it.
- What Could Have Been: Reportedly, he was supposed to play Pete Tyler on Doctor Who, but scheduling got in the way, and he ended up playing the Editor of Satellite Five instead.
- Written by Cast Member: He co-wrote Spaced, Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy, Run Fatboy Run, Paul, and Star Trek Beyond.