Free Jimmy (Norwegian: Slipp Jimmy fri) is a 2006 adult animated dark comedy film, written and directed by Norwegian subculture comic artist Christopher Nielsen. An English dub was released Direct to Video in 2008, starring the voices of Simon Pegg, Woody Harrelson, and Jim Broadbent, among others.
After a drug-addicted elephant escapes from a circus, various groups, including three stoners, a circus, and the Russian Mafia chase after him for the cocaine hidden inside of him.
The movie was Norway's first computer-animated film.
Free Jimmy contains the following tropes:
- Adaptational Nationality: Many of the characters' nationalities are changed in the English dub to match the nationalities of their actors. Roy, for instance, is American instead of Norwegian due to being voiced by Woody Harrelson, and the stoners are now British.
- All Bikers Are Hell's Angels: A group of Laplander bikers are hired by the Russian Mafia to hunt down the heroin Roy stole.
- Animal Testing: The animal rights activists raid an animal testing facility at the start of the movie, freeing the animals, only to have them eat each other.
- Animal Wrongs Group: A group of animal rights activists are some of the people chasing after Jimmy, intending to rescue him. They're first seen at the start of the film releasing animals from a testing lab. As it turns out, however, they're only in the business for personal gain and glory, and don't actually care about the animals they rescue.
- Anyone Can Die: By the end of the movie, only Sonia, Odd, Gaz, and Flea are still alive, with Roy likely to die after he wanders off into a raging blizzard alone.
- Art Shift: There's a brief 2D-animated sequence when Jimmy is on drugs.
- Asshole Victim: Pretty much all the characters who die at the end of the film (the bikers, the animal rights activists, and the hunters) were unlikable and really had it coming.
- Circus of Fear: The circus Jimmy comes from. The ringmaster is an alcoholic, and the animals are all worn out, only able to perform under the influence of drugs.
- Downer Ending: Jimmy dies, and Roy wanders off into a blizzard looking for him, not knowing that he's dead.
- Due to the Dead: After Jimmy dies, the moose causes a rockslide, burying Jimmy's corpse and preventing anyone from getting the heroin hidden inside him.
- Gonk: All of the characters are extremely ugly, mirroring their horrible personalities.
- Hope Spot: Jimmy manages to fight off most of his pursuers and almost escapes...only to get shot in the butt, which pierces the drug packet and causes him to suffer a lethal overdose.
- Living MacGuffin: Jimmy the elephant, as he's holding a large amount of drugs in an incision on his butt.
- The Mafiya: Roy stole a large amount of heroin from the Russian Mafia, which is why he joined the circus, and plans on smuggling it out of Norway inside Jimmy.
- Never Found the Body: While we the audience see Jimmy die, the stoners never find out, as the body gets buried by a rockslide before they can get to it, and the movie ends with them still thinking Jimmy is alive.
- Treasure Chest Cavity: To hide the heroin he stole from the Russian Mafia, Roy cuts an incision on Jimmy's butt, puts the drugs inside said incision, then sews it shut.
- Violent Glaswegian: In the English dub, the hunters have Scottish accents, and wish to shoot Jimmy because they want to bag something bigger than a moose for a change.