Aladdin is a Disney franchise that began in 1992 with the Disney Animated Canon film of the same name. Loosely based on the Arabian Nights tale of "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" and set in the fictional Arabian city of Agrabah, it revolves around a Street Urchin named Aladdin who falls in love with the rebellious Princess Jasmine and gets a magical lamp with a wise-cracking Genie inside. The original 1992 Disney animated filmnote was the first animated feature film to gross over $200 million at the domestic box office, leading to this highly-rated, EGOT-winning franchise.
Works with pages on TV Tropes:
- Aladdin (1992): An evil vizier named Jafar has Aladdin retrieve the aforementioned magic lamp from a cave that only accepts those who are a "diamond in the rough", hoping to use the powerful Genie to fulfill his deeds. However, Aladdin uses the Genie and a Magic Carpet to court Princess Jasmine and defeat the vizier.
- The Return of Jafar (1994): The first Disney direct-to-video sequel, and the Pilot Movie to the TV series mentioned below, Aladdin is now living in the palace with Jasmine and her sultan father, the latter who wants Aladdin to become his new vizier. Meanwhile, the now-genie Jafar is freed by an incompetent thief and desires to get revenge on Aladdin.
- Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996): The finale to the series, Aladdin and Jasmine are about to finally wed. However, when a gang of forty thieves arrive in Agrabah to raid the soon-to-be couple's wedding, Aladdin soon reunites with his father Cassim for the first time in years, finding out that he is the leader of the gang of thieves.
- Aladdin (2019): A live-action remake of the 1992 film directed by Guy Ritchie.
- Aladdin (1994-1995): Coming off the first sequel, Aladdin and his friends go on adventures to explore the world and protect Agrabah from all sorts of villains. This animated series is considered to be one of Disney's best animated TV shows and arguably the best TV adaptation of their animated films.
- Aladdin (Virgin Games; 1993): A Platform Game for the Sega Genesis, Amiga, DOS and Game Boy. Fluidly animated by actual Disney animators, it's widely considered to be a really good game.
- Aladdin (Capcom; 1993): Another Platform Game, but for the Super Nintendo and later ported to the Game Boy Advance. Also considered to be a really good game, too.
- A Whole New World: A Twisted Tale (2015): The first book of an Alternate Continuity What If? Disney Princess stories under the A Twisted Tale series. As Aladdin never found the Genie's lamp, Jafar does and takes over Agrabah. Aladdin and Jasmine become the leaders of a revolution to free Agrabah from Jafar's tyranny.
Theme park attractions
- The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) (1998-2011): An ill-conceived update to the Walt Disney World port of the Walt Disney classic attraction, the Aladdin franchise's loudmouthed parrot Iago takes over the show to refresh it, but the Tiki Birds and The Lion King's hornbill Zazu warn him that it would be unwise to do so.