A Live-Action Adaptation of the classic Disney Animated Canon film Aladdin, set to come out on May 24, 2019. The film will be directed by Guy Ritchie, and star Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, Alan Tudyk as Iago and Will Smith as the Genie.
It will adapt the original film while also including new elements, such as new original songs and characters.
Aladdin contains examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Marwan Kenzari's Jafar is younger and far more attractive than his Obviously Evil animated counterpart.
- Adaptational Modesty:
- Jasmine in the original animated version is famous for wearing an outfit that exposes her midriff. This version wears dresses that cover her midriff up, for conservative and practical reasons; although her main costume is still blue around the chest and beige around the waist to resonate with her original look.
- The animated Aladdin was bare-chested, only wearing an open vest. This one wears a shirt under his vest.
- Adaptation Name Change: Prince Achmed of no specified place is renamed Prince Anders of Skanland.
- Ambiguous Syntax: In the trailer, Aladdin asks Genie out in the desert to make him a prince, and Genie demonstrates how this request can be twisted by making a prince for Aladdin out of thin air, instead of turning Aladdin into the prince.
- Arc Words: 'Be Yourself'. Genie even questions why, if Jasmine already likes Aladdin for who he is, he wants to change?
- Benevolent Genie: In the trailer, when Aladdin proposes a wish inadvertently containing Ambiguous Syntax (namely, wishing to become a prince, which he phrased as "make me a prince"), the Genie takes the time to explain to Aladdin how his wishes could be misinterpreted, and how Exact Words are vital.Genie: Be specific with your words. The deal is in the detail.
- Canon Foreigner: Prince Anders of Skanland, a prince seeking Jasmine's hand in marriage, did not appear in the original film.
- Theres also Dalia, Jasmines handmaiden and best friend. In the original film, Jasmine didnt have any handmaidens, and the only friend she had was her tiger Rajah.
- Giant Flyer: A giant version of Iago can be seen chasing Aladdin and Abu through the marketplace in the official trailer.
- Large Ham: Given he has Robin Williams' manic original as a reference, Will Smith goes full-on Fresh Prince to show people he's worthy of being the Genie.O Great One who summons me, I stand by my oath, loyalty to wishes three! (normal voice) I'm kidding.
- Le Parkour: Aladdin uses parkour to traverse sets of rungs in an alley while being chased around Agrabah in the trailer.
- Loophole Abuse: Discussed Trope in the "make me a prince" scene in the trailer. The Genie points out that "there is a lot of gray area" within a wish. He shows that by summoning an actual prince before them when Aladdin asks if he could "make [him] a prince", instead of transforming Aladdin into a prince as intended.
- Race Lift: Anders is just a Scandinavian version of Achmed, being a prince seeking Jasmine's hand in marriage.
- Rebellious Princess: Jasmine. She wanted to become the ruling leader and travel the world.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Jasmine. She wanted to be more than just marry and carry children. Dalia expressed disbelief she wanted to become Sultan or rather Sultana in her case. It's implied that part of her reason for falling for Aladdin was his belief in her.
- Secondary Adaptation: This live-action film is a remake of Disney's Aladdin, an animated film. Said animated film is loosely inspired by the Arabian Nights tale of "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp", a written copy of Arabic Oral Tradition.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: Marwan Kenzari gives the Evil Chancellor Jafar a soft, high-pitched voice, compared to Jonathan Freeman's much deeper voice for Jafar in the original movie.
- Summon Backup Dancers: As you would expect for a live-action recreation of the Prince Ali scene. The Genie summons not just backing dancers, but a legion of dancing celebrants, decked out like an Arabian carnival to parade Aladdin through the town's main street.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Jasmine has a lot of costumes here.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Aladdin tries to play by his own rules when, as Prince Ali, he and the Genie spot Jasmine. Genie just uses his magic to "blow" him over to her. The trailer then cuts to Aladdin responding with "Really?" in disbelief while being blown back.
Ive come so far
Let me share this whole new world with you... ♫