open/close all folders
Not the Oscar Wilde, just an Oscar Wilde. A writer from Chicagoland, Oscar rented Sylvias house from Barbara Yaga without knowing it was haunted. Oscar is good natured, even-tempered, and a little pedantic. He doesnt like to talk about himself and finds ways to avoid conversations that get too personal. He has a weakness for beer and pretty girls.
— Official Website
- Dark and Troubled Past: Oscar's entire backstory is a hinted-at mystery. Initially he seems like the most level-headed character in the comic. However, as the story goes on, we get more hints about his past and it's implied early on that he has a rather strained relationship with his father.
- A flashback in Chapter Eight implies that Oscar might be a runaway groom.
- From New York to Nowhere: Oscar moved from California to a small town in Oklahoma.
- Hand Behind Head: He occasionally does this when nervous or embarrassed.
- Jewish and Nerdy: Oscar is well-read and confirmed to be jewish by Word of God. He's also very nerdy. He's a big fan of Terminator 2 and even uses a picture of it as lockscreen on his phone. He also seems to be a fan of Ghostbusters.
- Nice Jewish Boy: Oscar is the most sensitive, caring and loyal character in the comic.
- Meaningful Name: Oscar Wilde is a writer, just like his namesake.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Oscar is a journalist.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Oscar Wilde, obviously.
- Nice Guy: By far the nicest, most down-to-earth person in the comic.
- Perma-Stubble: Oscar usually wears five-day stubble throughout the comic.
- Ship Tease: With Sylvia.
- Token Human: He's literally just some guy.
- Unreliable Narrator: In Chapter Eight he reveals to Cliff he used to be engaged before moving to Podunk. He claims he and his ex parted on good terms. A quick flashback implies he might have left a few details out.
- Weirdness Magnet: He rents a house inhabited by a ghost, helps an injured werewolf, and discovers a talking bear and its swarm of spider-minions. In three days.
The ghost of a World War 2 mathematician, Sylvia died in 1948 and has haunted her mothers house ever since. She was very lonely until Oscar moved in. Sylvia loves card games and learning about what has happened in the world since she died. Her emotions sometimes get the better of her and she is prone to sudden mood swings.
— Official Website
- Alliterative Name: Sylvia Snyder
- Eating the Eye Candy: Subtle but noticable. She can occasionally be seen staring at Oscar for a little too long. On one page it even looks like she's staring at his butt.
- Friendly Ghost: Although only to people she likes.
- Ghostly Chill: She is a ghost, after all.
- Monochrome Apparition: Drawn in greys, blacks and whites.
- Out of Focus: She gets the least amount of page-time out of all the main characters. Justified, as she's a Ghost and therefore can't leave the place where she died.
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Ship Tease: With Oscar.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Although she isn't technically alive, she watches people move into and out of her house, usually without getting to know them by talking directly. She gets upset at the thought of Oscar going out to do something dangerous and she might not see him again.
A sixteen-year-old werewolf from Oklahoma. Clifford was originally born in Georgia, but his mother moved to Podunk shortly after he was born. Clifford doesnt trust many people and keeps his wolf side a secret. He doesn't like Eliza and currently seems to be under the protection of the White Faced Bear. He and Oscar are not-friends.
— Official Website
- Aloof Ally: To Oscar. They're not friends, as he always insists.
- Badass in Distress: Even though he's a werewolf and a dangerous one at that, Cliff sometimes finds himself in trouble and needs a little saving once in a while.
- The Babyofthe Bunch / Tag Along Kid: Cliff is the youngest member of the main cast. Cliff is also the one that is constantly overprotected and given the most attention in the story. As a result, he can come off as a Tagalong Kid and a Distressed Dude at times.
- Big Brother Instinct: To his adopted brother Kevin.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Cliff is constantly harassed by supernatural creatures even though he would rather lay low and ignore his own supernatural nature.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Will occasionally drop one every so often.
- Death Glare: Whenever somebody wants to be his friend.
- Drop-In Character: Occasionally just appears in Oscar's house.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Is not at all fazed by a ghost, despite learning that other werewolves only existed the previous night.
- Fiery Redhead
- Hates Being Touched
- Magic Pants: His clothes transform with him.
- Meaningful Name: Clifford can transform into a big red wolf.