Maternal insults in western animation.
- In the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode "Batmantis", Space Ghost discovers that Moltar has been kidnapped by a villain calling herself "Your Mother".Space Ghost: Not my mom, someone else's mom. Someone's sick and deranged mom!
- Robot Chicken:
- A Star Wars skit shows the battle between Palpatine and Luke Skywalker as essentially a game of The Dozens with Star Wars-themed Yo Momma insults.Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Palpatine: Your faith in your friends is yours!
Luke: (mumbling) Heh, faith in yo' mama...
Palpatine: What was that?
Luke: I said, yo mama so fat, Jabba the Hut said, "DAAAAAAYUM!"
Palpatine: Well, your mother's so ugly, she put the "Ug" in "Ugnaught"!
Vader: ("Hood" accent) OH, "YO MAMA" FIGHT!
(cue Stormtrooper audience, chalkboard, Emcee Vader, and hip-hop version of the Imperial March)
- Rom the Spaceknight vs. Jim the Guy with a Giant Magnet:Rom: You suck.
Jim: That's what your mom said.
Rom: She did not, my mom was a saint.
- A man who amuses himself with a pull-and-say children's toy:The cow says "MOOOOOO".
(chuckles and pulls again)
Your mom says "Wabglwgaw" because my cock's in her mouth.
- A Star Wars skit shows the battle between Palpatine and Luke Skywalker as essentially a game of The Dozens with Star Wars-themed Yo Momma insults.
- South Park made an entire episode of Yo Momma (and Penn State) jokes in "The Poor Kid", thanks to the resident irreverent potty-mouth Cartman:Principal: (Reading from a report about Cartman teasing the poor kid at his new school) A twenty-minute song and dance number with forty seven "Yo momma so poor" jokes directed at Jacob Hallory, which ended in a finale with fireworks.
- In Beavis And Butthead, Butt-head was relentless with this trope, always in Beavis' direction. He's found a multitude of ways to remind Beavis how skanky his mom is, and Beavis, being dumb as a stump, would often miss the point entirely.Butt-head: Boy, I tell ya, Beavis, you're a stupid son of a bitch. Uh huh huh huh. And your mother's a whore. Uh huh huh huh.
Beavis: My mom's a slut, she doesn't charge for it, bunghole, and I'm not stupid! Heh heh.
- The Simpsons:
- Kent Brockman with Michael Moore:Moore: A lack of arts makes these kids 90% more likely to become depressed and appear in one of my films.
Brockman: Where did you get that statistic?
Moore: Your mother!
- Lisa tricks Bart into going outside in his pajamas:
- Groundskeeper Willie accidentally pulls one on himself while misreading Bart's lips. "What did you say about me mother?! For your information, her feet stink because she works in manure all day! But it's still the best damn Starbucks in Glasgow!" He apparently reads the same thing from a goat later in the episode.
- In "Marge in Chains", Marge gets sent to jail and Nelson tries mocking Bart over it:
- Kent Brockman with Michael Moore:
- King of the Hill:Hank: Your mother is so ugly, uh, it affects her self-esteem.
- Family Guy:
- Brian instructs Stewie on how to do it:Joe: That's not very nice, Brian.
Stewie: (ordering Brian) "Neither is your mother's ass."
Brian: (to Joe) Neither is your mother's ass.
Joe: Well, I'll give you that one.
- A gag about a hypothetical Blaxploitation film about Jesus:Black Jesus: I just rode into town on an ass. (close up to his face) YO' MAMA'S ASS!
Female chorus: BLACK! JESUS!
- Brian instructs Stewie on how to do it:
- The Secret Saturdays:Doyle: Your mom has bad science.
- Jackie Chan Adventures:Man: I'm telling ya I'm innocent!
Chow: Yeah, yeah. Save the drama for your mama.
- In "Hell is Other Robots," after Rev. Preacherbot chews out a stoned Bender:Fry: Who was that guy?
Bender: Your mama! Now shut up and drag me to work!
- From "Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch":Bender: What's this big, ugly thing? A frog? A toad? Or your mama!
- In "Obsoletely Fabulous", Bender escapes the modern world and lives on an island with outdated robots. One of them can only talk by inserting cartridges of prerecorded answers:Bender: A working cartridge unit? Wow, you guys went obsolete years ago.
(cartridge unit rummages through his bag of cartridges, picks out one titled "Snappy Response", and inserts it)
Cartridge unit: Your mother.
- This exchange from "Time Keeps on Slipping":Leela: I don't know how you did it, Fry, but once again you screwed up. Now all the planets are gonna be cracking wise about our mommas.
Hermes: I'm just glad my fat, ugly mama isn't alive to see this.
Professor Farnsworth: Enough about your promiscuous mother, Hermes. We've got bigger problems.
- In "Benderama," this turns out to be the Berserk Button of an ugly giant. After Bender has insulted his appearance repeatedly and been met with patient resignation, Fry makes a sincere attempt to comfort him by telling him that he probably just inherited his appearance from his mother. That's what sets him off.
- Fry inadvertently does it when Zoidberg gives him a physical. Zoidberg asks Fry to open his mouth and say some unintelligible alien phrase. Fry botches it.Zoidberg: What? My mother was a saint! Get out!
- In "Hell is Other Robots," after Rev. Preacherbot chews out a stoned Bender:
- Celebrity Deathmatch, from the fight between Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman:
- The Ren & Stimpy Show: In "Pen Pals", the twosome try to break into a prison, and after Ren had a tirade against the warden, he pops from atop the wall, shakes his fist angrily, and declares: "Yer momma!" in a completely deadpan way.
- In the Hulk episode of Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, the Thing tries to get Bruce Banner angry by saying "Yer momma's so ugly..." before Bruce tells him that won't work. But when he does change, he goes after Ben for it.
- The same gag is used in Wolverine Vs The Hulk, with Logan saying "Yer momma wore army boots!"Hulk: And Hulk's mother wore sensible shoes!
- Occurs in Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo. Robin attempts to grab the attention of a giant, reptilian monster, exclaiming, "Your mother was a salamander!" And it works.
- Looney Tunes:
- Used in the short "Bewitched Bunny", when Bugs Bunny alerts Hansel and Gretel to the fact the nice old lady feeding them sweets is a witch (Witch Hazel) who plans on eating them for dinner. They run off, but not before delivering this remark:Hansel and Gretel: Ah, your mother rides a vacuum cleaner!
- In "Bunker Hill Bunny", Yosemite Sam, playing a Hessian in this Revolutionary War-themed cartoon, calls out to Bugs that he intends to destroy him. Bugs shouts back, "Ah, your brother blows bubble gum!", which infuriates Sam.
- In the 1949 cartoon "Paying the Piper", Porky Pig (as the Pied Piper) is frequently insulted in this manner by a cat who's furious that all the rats have been removed from town:Cat: Ah, your sister smokes corn silk!
Porky: My sister doesn't smoke corn silk, she works in a butcher shop and smokes hams!
Cat: Ah, your brother eats jelly beans!
Porky: Gee, I wonder how he knows so much about my family?
- Porky gets back at the cat at the end of the cartoon:Porky: Ah, your brother drives a pickle wagon!
- Porky gets back at the cat at the end of the cartoon:
- Used in the short "Bewitched Bunny", when Bugs Bunny alerts Hansel and Gretel to the fact the nice old lady feeding them sweets is a witch (Witch Hazel) who plans on eating them for dinner. They run off, but not before delivering this remark:
- Megas XLR: Coop faces down the Monster of the Week, Grrkek "The Planet Killer":Grrkek: I feel good enough to kill a thousand planets! Guess where I'm going to start?
Coop: Uh, I dunno, your mom's house?!
- Backfires in Baby Huey:Bully: Your mother wears army boots!
Huey: Uhh, yes!
- In Sealab 2021, Quinn uses the "That's what your Momma said" variant on Capt. Shanks in "Let 'Em Eat Corn". When Shanks points out how unoriginal an insult it is, Quinn produces a tape recorder and video evidence; much to Shanks' infuriation, it turns out his Momma really did say that!
- In SpongeBob SquarePants, SpongeBob once gets a prank phone call and asks who is calling: "Joe Mama? Well, listen, Joe..."
- American Dad!:
- In "Great Space Roaster", Roger forces the members of the family to insult each other. Steve tells this to Francine:Steve: Mom, you are not smart. I don't tell "yo' mama's so dumb" jokes. I tell "my mama's so dumb" jokes.
- Bullock is giving a speech at the start of an episode:(someone throws a wad of paper)
Bullock: Who threw that?!
Random agent: Your mother's ass!
- Steve and Akiko are facing each other in a spelling bee. Francine had held Akiko hostage so she wouldn't be able to compete and also to make Steve think she didn't like him:Akiko: Steve, I can explain. Your mother—
Steve: No, your mother!
Steve: Your mother!
- Stan often taunts Steve by telling him that he had sex with the boy's mom the previous night. Stan and Francine are Steve's biological parents and happen to be Happily Married, meaning that the taunts are likely to be literally true in many cases. It's unclear if this makes them less effective, or even more effective than the standard "your mom" joke.Steve: Ah! You got it in my eye! (sigh) I know, I know, "that's what Mom said last night."
Stan: That's right! When I was doing her!
- In "Great Space Roaster", Roger forces the members of the family to insult each other. Steve tells this to Francine:
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force:
- At the end of the episode "The Dressing", Carl answers his doorbell, eating a turkey drumstick, to find himself being threatened by an army of robot turkeys armed with laser socks. When one of the turkeys asks what he thinks he's eating, Carl replies "Your mother!" before getting blown up.
- Also, at the start of another episode, Dr. Weird tries to convince his assistant Steve to chop off his head, in the hopes that the High-Pressure Blood will propel his corpse "all the way to Phoenix!"Steve: Uh, what's in Phoenix?
Dr. Weird: Why, it's your momma, Steve! Get the axe!
- In "Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future", the Ghost tells Carl and the Aqua Teens a rambling story about how Santa Claus originated as a paleolithic ape-man who enslaved alien elves to make toys for early hominid children. When he gets to the part about the elves trying to unionize, Frylock has completely lost the thread of the plot:Frylock: Wait, who unionized?
Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future: Wouldn't you like to know? Probably your momma!
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy:
- An episode where Principal Goodvibes becomes a trash-talking rap star thanks to the power of Grim's scythe. He's only defeated when he's bested in a game of "the dozens" by Irwin's grandmother.
- Parodied in "Chickenball Z":Sperg: You got something to say to me, squirt?
Mandy: Your mother has a job and is a respected member of the community.
Sperg: No one talks about my mother that way!
- Similarly, Billy also uses this to confront Sperg when advised by Lord Byron to fight back without getting physical, and Billy fights back with his words in the form of a scathing and witty poem with Sperg's weakness, his mother, as the subject. It works, but unfortunately, it also enrages Sperg...Billy: Roses are red, and violets are, uh... orange, and uh... you know I couldn't think of what rhymes with orange, but Sperg's mom is a big, ugly, stupid freaking GORILLA! With these like, webbed toes, and she's a bad cook and she throws her own poop! And she is so icky and hideously ugly that if you look at her, your head will melt!
- Regular Show:
- In "Prank Callers", Mordecai and Rigby prank Pops by asking him to stay on hold for a call from Joe Mama. Of course, this being Pops, he actually stays on hold.
- Invoked in another episode where Mordecai confronts Muscle Man over the latter's Catchphrase "You know who else _____? My mom!" He tells Muscle Man that for the joke to work it should be "your mom", then gives three "your mom" jokes as examples. Muscle Man isn't amused. Actually he didn't care and was just messing with them.
- DuckTales (1987):
- In the episode "The Robot Robbers" (based on a Carl Barks story), Scrooge had Launchpad McQuack flying a helicopter with a banner reading "MA BEAGLE HAS FLEAS!" in order to lead the Beagle Boy-controlled robots into the town reservoir.
- In the episode "Sir Gyro de Gearloose", Lessred's black knight gets a dragon enraged by saying "King Artie says your mother works for scale" and "King Artie says your father has a soft, white underbelly".
- In Pinky and the Brain, one of Brain's plans to Take Over the World required Pinky to make him angry in order to transform into a Hyde version of himself. Unfortunately, Pinky had a hard time deliberately making Brain mad:
- Home Movies: Jason and Melissa want Brendon to know his mom is becoming a nuisance trying to work her way into the movie they're making — they confront him with "Your mother." He goes "Whoa!...is that like 'Yo mama'?"
- From Gravity Falls:Nate: Good job throwing the kid off the fence, genius!
Lee: Your mom's a genius.
- Adventure Time:
- Marceline's dad, the Lord of Evil, goes topside in and comes across the marauders. He then proceeds to suck out all their souls as promised.Marceline's dad: What wears a dark suit, is completely evil, and is about to suck out all your souls?
Marauder: Yo' mama!
Marceline's dad: ... That's right. I'm your mama.
- In "Hug Wolf", Finn gets bitten by the eponymous wolf. He's been trying to control the transformation, but the "hug lust" takes over his mind. Jake has him tied up and is trying to calm him down:Jake: Finn, say something to reassure me!
Finn: (growling) I'll hug your mom!
- Marceline's dad, the Lord of Evil, goes topside in and comes across the marauders. He then proceeds to suck out all their souls as promised.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) has this exchange from "The Way of Invisibility":Hun: (examining Raph's sai) This is some nice steel. How about telling me who gave them to you?
Raph: Yo' momma.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012): The episode "Metalhead" has this exchange between Donatello and a Kraang:Donatello: Hey, Kraang! The one who is called your mother wears the boots that are made for combat!
Metalhead Kraang: The comment that is made by you shows ignorance of Kraang. The ones known by you as mother—
Donatello: Just come get me!
- Stōked: Bummer understands seagull language and says one insulted his mother.
- Rick and Morty: Averted in Rick Potion #9, with "Your mom was my Jessica, and that's not an urban diss."
- Occurs in The New Scooby-Doo Movies, of all places, in "The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair", the first of the two episodes to guest-star Batman and Robin. When Daphne asks the Joker if he knows Mrs. Baker, the Clown Prince of Crime replies that he knows Mrs. Baker and that she is "that creature's mother" (referring to Scooby).
- In American Dragon: Jake Long, insulting a mountain troll's mother is a bad idea as Trixie and Spud found out the hard way.
- Kaeloo: One episode had Mr. Cat try to make Kaeloo angry so that she could Hulk Out and fight a bunch of zombies, so he read out an insult from a book:Mr. Cat: Your mom is so ugly, she'd flip out a zombie!
- In the Garbage Pail Kids Cartoon movie parody segment Savage Stuart the Garbage Pail Barbarian, one of Savage Stuart's attempts at making Galloping Glen mad is by asking him if it is true his mother wears army horseshoes, a play on the classic "your mother wears army boots" insult.
- Occurs in Mike Tyson Mysteries when the gang encounters a Soul Saving Crusader:
- Mighty Mouse (from the Bakshi series) challenges Bat-Bat in "Bat With A Golden Tongue" to go five seconds without telling a joke. He can't.Bat-Bat: My mother-in-law's so fat she has her own zip code!!!
- In the Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi episode "Trouble with Mimes", Ami irately says "That's not a nice thing to say about my mom" in response to Yumi's attempt at miming to reply to being told that it is forbidden for mimes to speak.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In "Marks For Effort", Cozy Glow takes a test, but deliberately gives wrong answers. One of the questions was, "Who is the Princess of Friendship?" She writes, "Your Mom".
- In the Biker Mice from Mars episode "Test of Friendship", there's this exchange when Throttle, Vinnie, and Modo are exposed to Evil Eye Weevil's hostility ray.Throttle: Feels like something ugly flew by.
Modo: What, your face?
Vinnie: No, your mom's!
- The Cow and Chicken episode "Send in the Clowns" has a scene where Cow and a clown she has a crush on exchange "Your mom" jokes after inhaling helium from balloons.Clown: Your mom has a peg leg with a kickstand!
Cow: Your mom has a glass eye with a fish in it!
- Cool McCool is pursuing arch-villain the Owl and resorts to an insult book:Cool: Owl, you licken-chivered...er, chicken-livered, bird-brained feather duster!
Owl: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.
Cool: Oh, no? (consults book) Your mother eats Polly seeds!
Owl: (stops and draws a gun) Now, that's asking for it!!!
- In the Darkwing Duck episode "Mutantcy on the Bouncy", Darkwing sets off Cement Head by telling him that his mother wears cement overshoes.
- From F is for Family:Phillip: Your mother does sex for money!Jimmy: My mom's never earned a dollar in her life!
- The Drak Pack episode "Dreadful Weather We're Having" had Drak Jr. taunt Toad by saying "Your mother has webbed feet".