Torrie Anne Wilson (born July 24, 1975) is a former WWE Diva from Boise, ID. Prior to wrestling she was a fitness model, winning several competitions like Miss Galaxy and the Women's Tri-Fitness Championships.
She got her start in wrestling when a boy she was dating brought her to a WCW event - and she was brought backstage to meet the wrestlers. At the time she was trying to break into the entertainment industry, and got offered the chance to walk to the ring with Scott Steiner. Kevin Nash later was interested in doing a storyline with her, and thus she became part of the roster. She would be involved in several notable storylines before getting released at the end of 2000.
However when WCW was bought out by WWF in 2001, Torrie was one of many employees hired and integrated in with the WWF talent. She debuted as part of The Alliance - initially a Dark Action Girl with Stacy Keibler, being mentored by Ivory. However, a storyline romance with Tajiri led to a HeelFace Turn and made her part of Team WWF. When the brand split was introduced in 2002, Torrie enjoyed the biggest success of her career, and was pushed as the top Face Diva of the Smackdown brand. During this time, she had a notable nine month feud with Dawn Marie and was chosen as the covergirl for the 2003 issue of Playboy. The next year she would pose again, she and Sable becoming the first WWE Divas to pose together.
She was traded to Raw in 2005 and used more in a wrestling capacity, coupled with a big improvement in her ring skills, and started to compete for the Women's Championship. She was moved back to Smackdown a year later and rumours abound that she was going to be the first holder of the WWE Divas' Championship. But repeated back problems led to her taking a break from wrestling and eventually retiring in 2008. She has however made several reappearances and got an induction into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2019.
The Other Wiki has a complete rundown of her career.
"I Just Need a Little Trope":
- Alpha Bitch: Very briefly in 2005 when she turned heel and formed Vince's Devils. She was promoted as the leader.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: To Sable, which was outright stated during a "Miss nWo" contest.
- All-American Face: Downplayed but her time as top face on the Smackdown brand played this up - notably against Dark Action Girl Dawn Marie, redneck Nidia and The Vamp Sable. She was naturally chosen as the Diva to promote the return of The Great American Bash.
- Amazonian Beauty: Her toned arms unfortunately attracted Dawn Marie, and she's only gotten more ripped after retiring. She had been a fitness model prior to entering wrestling.
- Arch-Enemy: Dawn Marie. The two had a six month long feud that stretched from 2002 to 2003 and included two PPV matches. Afterwards they still wrestled each other a lot since there weren't as many Divas on WWE SmackDown. Dawn's last match was indeed with Torrie. Before that it was Stacy Keibler.
- Ass Kicks You: She loved to use the stink-face.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Her Beta Bitch Candice Michelle did so to her after becoming a Playboy covergirl.
- Bare Your Midriff: Though that's pretty standard for the Divas
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Torrie's beauty led to her playing a face more than a heel. She entered WWE as a heel but only remained so for a few months. She had a second heel run in 2005 but that too only lasted a few months.
- Bi the Way: Was initially creeped out by Sable's advances towards her but they eventually kissed at WWE Judgment Day 2003.
- The Bus Came Back: Competed in the 25-Diva battle royal at WWE WrestleMania 25. Also was in the crowd for WWE WrestleMania 28 and appeared in the first ever women's Royal Rumble match in 2018 and Evolution Women's Pay Per View.
- Canine Companion: Chloe Wilson, her own dog. Actually the first dog to get a profile on WWE.com. She also has Chloe with her in her RF Video shoot interview.
- Canon Discontinuity: When Torrie faced off with Dawn Marie at WWE Judgment Day 2004, there was no mention of Dawn being Torrie's stepmother via her marriage to Al Wilson.
- Catfight: But of course. Several with Dawn Marie, the most famous of which being at her father's Kayfabe funeral.
- Continuity Nod: Months after her program with Kurt Angle had finished, Luther Reigns alluded to their history when watching one of Torrie's matches.
- Corpsing: One of the biggest examples in wrestling, and a perfect snapshot of the friction between "blood n' guts" 'rasslin and reality TV starlets of today. One episode of Nitro had the "Macho Man" Randy Savage on a rampage backstage. He ran across Torrie snickering in a doorway and boxed her ear — hard. (WHADYOO LOOKIN AT?) Rather than ground Torrie in the moment, the sharp blow caused her to laugh out loud—which was clearly picked up by the mic. We fade to black real quick; the boys in the production truck probably weren't happy to see Savage manhandling two women on a PG show.
- Distress Ball: If she was ever in a relationship with someone besides Carlito, she would be put in danger for the sake of a feud.
- Dumb Blonde: Shane Douglas was scheduled to face Goldberg on the September 4, 2000 WCW Monday Nitro. Before the match, Douglas was demanding that Commissioner Ernest Miller let him use the Natural Born Thrillers (Shawn Stasiak, Chuck Palumbo, Mike Sanders, Mark Jindrak, Sean O'Haire, Reno [Rick Cornell] and Johnny the Bull [John "Johnny Stamboli"/"Rellik" Hugger] doing a weak Ur-Example of what The Nexus would be ten years later) to help him. Torrie, of course, suggested Shane fight Goldberg alone.note
- Enemy Mine: Well, all the Smackdown divas teamed up against Shaniqua, even Torrie and Dawn Marie. Not that it did any good, it took someone like Bradshaw or Rikishi to keep her down but once she was, Torrie and Dawn went back to feuding.
- Establishing Character Moment: Made her WCW TV debut as a mysterious blonde who appeared in vignettes in a hotel room in February 1999. It turned out she was being used by the NWO to seduce Ric Flair's son David, leading to him turning on Ric and costing him his match against WCW World Heavyweight Champion "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan at WCW SuperBrawl IX.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Hapless Torrie had to deal with this from Dawn Marie and Sable. Hapless though, not helpless, she was more than capable of dealing. It extends to the fans - Diva Dirt was a Spiritual Successor to a Torrie fan site.
- Face: Turned face during The Invasion and remained so most of her career (aside from a brief Heel run in 2005).
- The Farmer and the Viper: Fell victim to this in a match where she teamed with Sable against Dawn Marie and Nidia (w/Jamie Noble) on the May 1 (taped April 29), 2003 WWE SmackDown. Torrie started for her team, and the heels worked over her leg...and that was pretty much the entire match, as Sable stepped off of the apron and started walking away from the ring, deliberately avoiding Torrie's attempt at a tag. Torrie eventually submitted to Dawn Marie's single-leg crab and could only lie there on the mat in pain visibly saying over and over, "You bitch!"
- Finishing Move: The Nose Job - a sitout facebuster. A swinging neckbreaker 2002-2003.
- Game-Breaking Injury: A back injury which put a stop to her wrestling career. She invoked the trope herself by opting to leave WWE rather than remain as a PR figure.
- Girl Next Door: Trope Codifier as far as a WWE Diva goes...
- Girl Posse:
- Girly Bruiser: Was a fitness model before joining WWE and could hold her own in the ring towards the end of her career.
- Groin Attack: One of her most well-known tactics when it comes to both wrestling and fighting. Whether it be a low blow uppercut punch or a kick variation (a standard front kick, a behind kick (which she had used against Buff Bagwell at WCW Bash at the Beach 2000 and then later to Billy Kidman the following next night on WCW Monday Nitro), or a back mule kick (which she had used against Perry Saturn at WCW Mayhem 1999)), it always proved to be very effective against her targets.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Both in Kayfabe and real life.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: In WCW, due to the lousy, incompetent booking by Kevin Nash and, later, Vince Russo.
- I Have the High Ground: Torrie did often go to the top rope and bust out crossbodies and the occasional tornado DDT.
- MadonnaWhore Complex: In her feud with Dawn Marie, she was the Madonna with the latter as the Whore. However in a match with Molly Holly, she was the heroic Whore against Molly's villainous Madonna.
- Ms. Fanservice: Pretty much her role in WWE, though she did win most of her matches on the Smackdown brand.
- Oh, Crap!: The Big Show caught her laughing backstage after he had lost a Loser Leaves Town match and thought she was laughing at him.
- One Steve Limit: Hired by WWE when they already had a Tori on the roster (real name Terri Poch). The two never appeared onscreen together and Terri Poch was released midway through 2001, thus enforcing the trope. Technically averted whenever she interacted with Victoria, of which Torrie is a common shorthand. Also, since Victoria's real name is Lisa Marie Varon.
- Out with a Bang: The (Kayfabe) reason for the death of Torrie's father, all to intensify her ongoing feud with Dawn Marie.
- Panty Fighter: Her tag match with Sable against Stacy Keibler and Miss Jackie (Gayda) at WWE WrestleMania XX was originally going to be an Evening Gown Match, but Sable got on the mic and suggested they wrestle the match with their gowns off instead. Torrie was in the ring the whole time and won the match by pinning Jackie with a reverse rollup. She then slightly pulled Jackie's panties up, as she was basically folded up on her head, exposing part of her butt on camera, and then Torrie spanked her.
- Power Stable:
- (in WCW): The NWO
- The Filthy Animals (Rey Mysterio Jr., Eddie Guerrero, Konnan, Billy Kidman, Juventud Guerrera, Disco Inferno and Tygress.)note
- The New Blood (originally led by Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff with Jeff Jarrett as the focus until the group fell apart.)
- (in WWE): The Alliance (led by Shane McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, Paul Heyman and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin)
- She's Got Legs: Indeed she does. Some of her titantron video footage had consisted of shots showing off her legs.
- Spiritual Successor: Kelly Kelly filled her role as The Woobie and Ms. Fanservice in later years. She even started wearing similar ring gear and using the stink face.
- Statuesque Stunner: Average for pro wrestling but tall in comparison the WWE divas of her time, whose average height did match up with the USA's.
- Stripperiffic: She's been in a lot of bikini contest and such. Following her departure, she would express regret at being seen this way by any kids that may have been watching at the time.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her matches started to get noticeably better around mid 2005. One part of it was her genuine improvement in the ring, while the other part was her looking comparatively better due to an influx of women with no wrestling experience whatsoever into WWE since the 2004 Diva Search.
- Vocal Dissonance: For a pretty blonde, her voice is a bit deeper than one might expect.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Stacy Keibler, as they had been/are friends/rivals both on-screen and off for years. Stacy was even the one who inducted Torrie into the Hall of Fame.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: One of the Easter Eggs on the WWE Divas South of the Border DVD is a Blooper Reel which includes a scene of her walking out of the water in a bikini and her top sort of falling forward but her breasts were covered by a cross out circle. She said, "You can't use that anyway."